Grandmaster/Master mage Decklist

Hi Bodwin, I copied your deck from page 2. There's less crawl control in the new deck you made.

I don't know what I do wrong :( Perhaps you can add me ingame? I am from Europe.

Huggles, Miranda
Reply Quote
This deck is really good! I've tried it out (except i don't own Alextraza) Just one thing i think since you have 2 Arcane Missiles and some other low cost spells, i've tried to switch out one Azure Drake to a Gadgetzan Auctioneer, really giving you that late game card advantage.
Reply Quote
Out of every minion on the list, azure drake is the strongest. I'm curious to know if you feel there is a real significant different when running it.
Edited by Adam on 11/12/2013 9:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
I had previously asked others to add me if they need to test a deck or just want to play 1 v 1.

Adding friends was bugged recently in Hearthstone and I had about 10 people from this thread that I could not add, only delete them.

If you want to add me, do so.

Kaean#1993
Reply Quote
I was playing a mage deck before, and since I started using the cards you suggested my win rate has gone up exponentially (i use to lose almost every game due to a poorly designed deck). Thanks for this post, it has helped my play greatly <3
Reply Quote
Like others have said, thanks a lot for this guide! It's been a huge help in my learning process.

After playing through quite a few games, I found a common pattern coming up in the games I lost: getting to the late-game/top-decking and not having any push to get the enemy hero down (then getting bled out myself). I'm guessing this is because of a play-style issue in the mid-game, so I'm wondering if anyone has any further pointers on how to manage the mid-game, specifically with single target spells.

What is your general advice when deciding whether to take out minion or focus the hero with single target spells? I'm still trying to figure out the right balance when trading punches. I don't have Alexstrasza/Blood Mage Thalnos if that makes any difference (swapping with Flamestrike and Sorc. Apprentice).
Reply Quote
Great deck i really thnx you for that ! i'm Master 1 in one day =)
Reply Quote
Been stuck on gold 3 star for a week. Been winning around 70% of games.

What gives?
Reply Quote
Been stuck on gold 3 star for a week. Been winning around 70% of games.

What gives?

you have dug yourself a big hole prior by losing alot so now you have to win back alot to get to the next level.
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 03:33 PMPosted by Vycaus
Thx for the key blizzard, i'll bother playing your beta when I don't need to win 100 !@#$ing games to get 5 new cards. Till then.
So, you are one of those: "Gimme gimme gimme Instant Uberness" type of players huh?

Sad.

Maybe these games are not for you?

/comfort
Reply Quote
Hello fellow Mages. I've been playing this deck for a few days now, and I am happy to say that I have had great success with it. Took me six hours to get from un-ranked to 1-star Master. Good job, Bodwin and thank you for posting the list for us to use. Where I did not follow the list on page 2 directly (lacked a few cards), I can confidently say it's solid. I am going to give a run down of the cards and my sort of 'review' of them as part of the deck.

First of all, I would like to say that most of the time you want to be playing -second- and not first, that way you have more resources than your opponent plus the advantage of 'the coin'. I understand that this is random, but do know that we are actually in a better position if we play second and do not panic. We are not hyper-aggressive, we bell-curve upwards from early game to late game. The longer the game goes, the better chance we have of winning; our draws are just stronger than theirs are, normally. We win the card advantage war 90% of the time. So without further ado, let's look at the deck list along with the cards I substituted for the cards in the list I lacked.

Arcane Missiles: A great removal spell. With the aid of another certain card in the deck that we'll get to later, this card is, at worst, a 1 for 1 trade most of the time. I actually found that playing this card when they had only one creature out around turn 4 or 5 was great, 'cause then it allowed my little creatures to kill it off, or my hero power to finish it. 3 out of 5 stars.

Mana Wyrm: If you get this card early and it goes unmolested for one or two turns, you're in such good shape. This card steals games; sometimes they just don't have a way to kill it. A lot of your 'the nuts' draws will come from this card plus a few spells. 4 out of 5 stars.

Frostbolt: Arguably the best creature-removal spell in the deck; you will almost never go to the face for this unless it's to lock up the win. The best part about this card is that it's even good if it doesn't actually -kill- the creature it's aimed at; sometimes you just need to delay for a turn before you can draw something to deal with the board state. 5 out of 5 stars.

Kobold Geomancer: 2 mana 2/2 with spellpower, what more really needs to be said? This card is so cheap that you can play it -plus- any removal spell in our deck, and any board wipe in our deck. For when you need that extra reach, Kobold Geomancer is your friend. 4 out of 5 stars.

Novice Engineer: I have to say, I was very skeptical about this card being in the list but every time I've played it, it's been good. This is an incredible turn 2 play, a great turn 6 play, and a good turn 10 play. There's no point in the game where this card is bad; the mana cost is so low that if you do hit what you're digging for, you -will- be able to cast it. See? Gnomes are good for something. 3 out of 5 stars.

Sorcerer's Apprentice: I heard you liked free Arcane Missiles. If you play this card right, with the correct situation, it's basically a 0 mana 3/2. Making all of our spells cheaper by 1 is nothing to shake a stick at, since that's where most of our power comes from. 3 out of 5 stars.

Arcane Intellect: 3 mana for drawing 2 cards may seem like a wasted turn, but when you take into account Mana Wyrm or coining into this on turn 2, you'll realize that this card is -good-. Again, it's cheap enough to where you'll actually be able to cast what you're digging for. Plus, our draws are very powerful; there aren't really any dead-draws in the deck no matter who we're facing. And where the two cards don't come with a power and toughness attached to them, two cards is still two cards. 4 out of 5 stars.

Cone of Cold: At worst? This card is 1 damage to 3 creatures plus they don't get to attack next turn. That's delaying -three- creatures from attacking you. Magic players will understand when I say that this is comparable to Cryptic Command. It deals damage, which is not irrelevant, and it's cheap enough that you can finish off a creature with an attack from a little guy plus a hero power, or just your hero power. Even delaying one gigantic creature for a turn is good, it doesn't have to be three (though three is optimal) if it means you don't die / you can kill the big thing next turn. All of that being said, yes, one is enough. One is all you should need, really. 5 out of 5 stars.

Counterspell: Ah, this takes me back to my Magic days. Oh wait, those are still here. *clears throat* Anyway. This card 'catches' people; and where it doesn't work on creatures, it can be a huge blow out. On turn 7 you play a big guy and counter spell and pass, then on their turn 7 they use 5 or 6 mana to try and kill it with a spell. OOPS. 4 out of 5 stars.

Spellbender: Ok, this card is just dirty. Like Counterspell, it can save your guy from a targetted spell, unlike Counterspell, it can't stop a non-targetted AoE effect. But can Counterspell -steal- Blessing of Kings? Nope! Unleashed Rage? Nope! It's so game changing when this card steals a buff they try to give to one of their creatures. And the best part is? They have to pass the turn or deal with that creature right then. 5 out of 5 stars.

Dalaran Mage: I'm still honestly skeptical about this one, but I will say that it -has- pulled its weight when I have played it. I still would rather have a Kobold Geomancer than this guy, but in a pinch he's been useful. He -can- provide the reach you need for a board wipe to wipe their side of the field. But generally, in my experience, being a 1/4 is worse than being a 2/2. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Fireball: This spell, 80% of the time will go to the opponent's face for 6 to 8 damage probably to close out a game. Which is fine! It gets the job done, and if you're sitting on two of them and haven't had to use them yet, then you're winning anyway. That is not to say that if they play Stormwind Champion that you should continue holding onto your Fireball. Yes, you are going to Fireball their 6/6, and yes, you're still winning if you do that. 4 out of 5 stars.

Polymorph: This is the removal spell you use before Fireball if you can simply because Polymorph cannot go to the face. Where it doesn't outright remove a creature from their side of the field, it replaces it with a cute 1/1 sheep WITH NO CARD TEXT..which means no deathrattle, and no special abilities. It's simply a 1/1 that you can murder at your disposal. And yes, you are allowed to say 'baaaa' when you cast it. It should be required, really. 4 out of 5 stars.

Ancient Mage: There have been times where this guy has one me the game when I drew him, and there have been times when he has lost me the game when I played him. He's tricky..a 2/5 for four isn't terrible, especially if you can put him between two creatures that you believe you can protect. Or if you're going to be throwing a frostbolt and fireball here and there. However, I would not be surprised to see him replaced by something else more useful..I'm not sure what though. 2 out of 5 stars.

Ogre Magi: It's Kobold Geomancer's older, uglier brother. 4 mana 4/4 with spellpower The best thing about this creature is neither Shadow Word: Pain nor Shadow Word: Death can kill it. It boosts your spells and beats in for four, at worst, you're trading it for one of their big nasties. You can also play this card plus one of our board wipes late in the game, or either of our board wipes with the help of Sorcerer's Apprentice. 4 out of 5 stars.

Violet Teacher: The first card that's not in the original list, and I have two in my deck. I am not saying by any means that this creature should be a 2-of 100% of the time, but I am saying that when I have used her to the best potential I could, she's been pretty bonkers. Turn 3 Violet Teacher into Polymorph your guy is pretty good. Numerous times have I won games because my opponent just couldn't deal with the swarm of 1/1s I was getting for no effort. Numerous times have I also won due to them never being able to keep a creature on the board because my little 1/1s were being thrown at them en-masse. By the way, The Coin counts as a spell. 4 out of 5 stars.

Blizzard: Board wipe number 1. Now playing all of these board wipes are kind of tricky because you might not know when you should play them or if you're in deep enough trouble to use them yet..and to that I say, if it's late in the game and you're getting a 2 or 3 for 1, play the board wipe. Don't get greedy and take unnecessary damage to wait for them to commit more creatures, just take your 2 for 1 and go. This card gets the job done, and is cheap enough that we can play all (or multiple) of our spellpower creatures before it and still have the mana to play it on the same turn. 4 out of 5 stars.

Azure Drake: I have never played this card and thought "darn, I wish this was a Novice Engineer", even if I drew a card I couldn't play. 4/4 body with spellpower attached to it plus it draws you a card; there's only 1 card in the entire deck that, with 10 mana, if you draw it after playing this card, you can't play it unless you're lucky enough to have 2 Sorcerer's Apprentices on the table. And if you're in that situation? You're probably winning anyway. 5 out of 5 stars.

Finally, Flamestrike: You only need 1. 1 seven-mana card that clears the opponent's side of the table for you to swing in for the win. This card is the best board wipe in Hearthstone even at this expensive; it simply kills creatures the others don't and -still- allows you to play a 3 drop or use your hero power. This card plus Frostbolt or this card plus hero power is a guaranteed win for you. Again, like all board wipes, take your 2 for 1 and go. 5 out of 5 stars.

I hope you all enjoyed! I will not lie, I did this for fun, feel free to tell me what you think about my review and share your opinions on some of the cards; we all have our own experiences and we, as fellow Mages, should be open to each other's insight and thoughts on this deck. Happy Winning.

tl;dr : The deck is good, good job Bodwin and thanks for the list.
Reply Quote
I would pull out the flamestrike and add Antonidas, if I could suggest anything. If cones of cold and blizzards (combined with spell power) and other CC can't hold back the minions leading into late game (9/10 mana), you are likely in trouble. If you put out Antonidas with a Counterspell on turn 10, you will win every single time, almost regardless of your current health.

Also, don't panic too much when your health is dropping, a properly played Traza (on yourself) will bring you back from the brink if your opponent is already hurting.
Reply Quote
Perhaps a little off topic but I was curious if this http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/8428-miracle-mage-v1-0 is still or ever was a viable deck? I have played with it some and it is alot of fun, especially late. Expensive but after weeks of eye-balling it I could finally afford it.
Reply Quote
Great deck, here's my variations...

Take out:
Spell Bender
Counter Spell
Alextrasza

Put In:
2 Arcane Explosions (2)
8 Pyroblast (1)

Final:
1 Mirror Image
1 Mana Wurm (2)
1 Arcane Missiles (2)
2 Arcane Explosion (2)
2 Kobold Geomancer (2)
2 Novice Engineer (2)
2 Blood Mage Thalnos (1)
2 Sorcerer's Apprentice (1)
3 Cone of Cold (2)
3 Arcane Intellect (2)
2 Frostbolt (2)
4 Fireball (2)
4 Polymorph (2)
5 Blizzard (2)
5 Azure Drake (2)
7 Flamestrike (1)
8 Pyroblast (2)

This deck is very consistent and the only trouble I have would be well played Druid and Pally decks. I have taken this deck to 3 Star Masters and had several runs of 8, 9 and 10 in a row.

Opening with Mana Wyrm then playing arcane missile and mirror image next turn makes them sad.

You have to play patiently and be sure to make good use of kobolds and bloodmage.

Save Arcane Missiles for taking out at least 1 minion, Arcane Explosion for at least 2 (kobold + arcane exp/missile is fun). Frost bolt is also a minion killer.

Polys act as silence when no big minion is played.

Sorc apprentice can really help string together mid game combos.

Always throw fireballs/pyro at face. If you start having to fireball minions you will run into trouble later.

Use ping creatively and often.
Edited by Puudji on 11/20/2013 3:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
This thing isn't working too well in masters vs other control decks at all, but oh my god is it a beast vs rush decks.
Edited by JackGates on 11/21/2013 2:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey bodwin, nice deck you have with alex.

But what will you do against Paladin when both of you are at 15 health?

For example,
Paladin 30 health, Mage 15 health.

Mage managed to control the board, and pull out Alex.

Paladin 15 health, Mage 15 health.
Assume that Paladin had both the restore 8 hp and random dmg opponent at 8 damage.

What will you do?
Reply Quote
4 matches with this deck and yet no wins....wow.

Is it just bad luck draws?
Reply Quote
09/14/2013 11:20 PMPosted by Nihil777
6) The key to really stomping someone is early board control. If you can hold your own, keep the field clean, and reach 5 mana with at least 15-20 health, be ready for some fun. Nothing like a 15 point Pyroblast on turn 7 because you kept the coin and have a bunch of spellpower laying around.

Not to be rude but reading this made me laugh. You say early board control is key then say if you have these four things going for you it will be great. Why didn't you just say if your kicking his butt keep kicking his butt and you will have fun.
Reply Quote
Posted by Vycaus
Thx for the key blizzard, i'll bother playing your beta when I don't need to win 100 !@#$ing games to get 5 new cards. Till then.
So, you are one of those: "Gimme gimme gimme Instant Uberness" type of players huh?

Sad.

Maybe these games are not for you?

/comfort

Probably not a "gimme" player so much as a casual player that doesn't have 10 hours a day to be able to get all the cards in a timely manner. Some people just need the anonymity of the internet slapped out of them.
Reply Quote
Lol you guys are serious? This game is pure luck, 0 skill.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]