Grandmaster/Master mage Decklist

good deck id give it a try but i dont have ur legendary~
Reply Quote
Just want to say thanks to Bodwin for making this post. I've taken a variant of this deck up to Diamond-2 and I'm having a lot of fun.

One change that I made was to put in a couple of Faerie Dragons. I really like them as a 2 drop since they are somewhat (not completely) resistant to removal. I also added a couple of Spellbreakers for Silence, but I'm not entirely sure they are needed. Except against Priests. I really love them in my hand against a Priest.

I was lacking Pyroblast for a long time and that REALLY hurt. Some games would go on forever until we were both carded out, because I just didn't have a big finisher. Once I dusted a bunch of other epic and rare cards from other classes to make a single Pyro, things got a lot better.

Unfortunately I've taken out most of the Spell Power from the deck except for the Azure Drakes, for other cards that I believe to be "better", but in the long run I think this has hurt me.

I would really appreciate any feedback on what I can change to push into Diamond-3 or even Masters. I know it's going to be an uphill battle because I've played and lost a LOT of games, but I would appreciate any help.

This is my current deck:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/mage#4:2;26:2;30:1;42:2;44:2;177:2;188:2;213:2;263:2;276:2;280:2;489:2;496:1;522:2;589:2;595:2;
Reply Quote
This statement is correct in a sense - if two players are of a very high skill amound ~ top 5% of all players or so, then the games come down to mostly luck. However, that said, skill in this game is still relevant and applicable in that deckbuilding takes a significant amount of base skill and adaptability/dedication. There also exists in this game a moderately large skill floor which needs to be overcome before one can turn inwards for skill improvement. All in all though, the game is a big chunk of luck when you play ladder games against random opponents at a high mmr setting.
Reply Quote
Really nice deck, I've tried it now for a while and it works really well, I made some adjustments by adding another counterspell instead of spellbender wich has more or less the same effect ^^ My winrate is roughly 80%. For those who haven't been lucky enough to get pyro blast or have the materials to craft it, I would not recommend it. Pain in the !@# to say the least.
Edited by Helios on 12/1/2013 9:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/01/2013 09:18 PMPosted by Helios
For those who haven't been lucky enough to get pyro blast or have the materials to craft it, I would not recommend it. Pain in the !@# to say the least.

I disagree, it is well worth it to add one to your deck, especially if you main a mage.
Reply Quote
Just wanted to thank the OP for this deck/post, it was extremely useful reading the thread and seeing how to construct a solid mage deck. I don't have Thalnos, but I do use Alex and find it extremely useful on many occasions. I started by constructing your deck on the 2nd page, then came back to the main post and tweaked it again, so I am using a combination of both and so far I am finding it very powerful. My current list looks like this:

1 Mirror Image
1 Mana Wurm (2)
1 Arcane Missiles (2)
2 Kobold Geomancer (2)
2 Novice Engineer (2)
2 Sorcerer's Apprentice (1)
2 Frostbolt (2)
3 Cone of Cold (1)
3 Arcane Intellect (2)
3 Counterspell (1)
4 Fireball (2)
4 Polymorph (2)
4 Ancient Mage (1)
4 Ogre Magi (1)
5 Blizzard (2)
5 Azure Drake (2)
7 Flamestrike (2)
8 Pyroblast (1)
9 Alexstrasza (1)

If you don't have Thalnos but do have Alex this is a very solid alternative. Thanks again.
Reply Quote
Started playing HS yesterday and the mage was the one that spoke to me the most. I just bought one of those 40 books and got a Hogger and a bit other stuff. Except for the Bloodmage Thalnos and Alexstrasza I have the entire build. I only managed to play one game with it tonight, met a priest. My concern was: what on earth do I do when they begin to drop massive units in turn 5-6? I have no bashers myself and I just run out of CC so very fast - and this is taking into consideration the advice given in the beginning that if there's a chance to hit several dudes, then do it.
Also the Bloodmage, how do I get that? Can't seem to find the place where I can craft him (not that I'm even remotely close to have the materials needed after being able to afford Pyro and Spellbender).
Reply Quote
Kuriz, the bloodmage should be in the neutral monsters page with the 2 mana spells if you're looking at it in crafting mode and I believe they are 1600 dust each. In regards to the mid to late game fatties, it comes down to how well you manipulate the board state all game and card advantage is very powerful. The typical/cliché knowing when to hold back, knowing when to take the hits, and knowing how to play around the strengths and weaknesses of each class. I know that information might not help you out much, but its as much as I currently have for you.
Reply Quote
im level 14 why is it that i dont see mana Wyrm in my list yet is it an higher spell level?
Reply Quote
12/10/2013 12:59 PMPosted by Ryze
im level 14 why is it that i dont see mana Wyrm in my list yet is it an higher spell level?

It is an expert card and must be crafted or pulled from a booster. It costs 40 dust to craft (common).
Reply Quote
Why do you use a spellbender instead of 2 counterspells? I'm unsure if this is correct, but if a spellbender intercepts an AOE, wouldn't your minions still take all the damage?

Seems like a counterspell would be better since they do the same thing, basically (with added insurance if I'm correct).
Reply Quote
12/15/2013 11:44 AMPosted by duncandun
Why do you use a spellbender instead of 2 counterspells? I'm unsure if this is correct, but if a spellbender intercepts an AOE, wouldn't your minions still take all the damage?

Seems like a counterspell would be better since they do the same thing, basically (with added insurance if I'm correct).

Spellbender doesn't intercept AOEs. :-)
Reply Quote
Thats kind of my point, I guess. Counter spell will intercept AOEs and direct damage. I guess they serve different purposes, but It seems like counter is better overall simply because its always applicable.
Reply Quote
12/08/2013 09:41 AMPosted by couchy
Just wanted to thank the OP for this deck/post, it was extremely useful reading the thread and seeing how to construct a solid mage deck. I don't have Thalnos, but I do use Alex and find it extremely useful on many occasions. I started by constructing your deck on the 2nd page, then came back to the main post and tweaked it again, so I am using a combination of both and so far I am finding it very powerful. My current list looks like this:

1 Mirror Image
1 Mana Wurm (2)
1 Arcane Missiles (2)
2 Kobold Geomancer (2)
2 Novice Engineer (2)
2 Sorcerer's Apprentice (1)
2 Frostbolt (2)
3 Cone of Cold (1)
3 Arcane Intellect (2)
3 Counterspell (1)
4 Fireball (2)
4 Polymorph (2)
4 Ancient Mage (1)
4 Ogre Magi (1)
5 Blizzard (2)
5 Azure Drake (2)
7 Flamestrike (2)
8 Pyroblast (1)
9 Alexstrasza (1)

If you don't have Thalnos but do have Alex this is a very solid alternative. Thanks again.

What would you go with if you don't have either Alex or Thalnos?
Reply Quote
So have the nerfs to cone of cold and blizzard affected this deck at all?
Reply Quote
yes please update your thoughts on this
Reply Quote
The nerf about cone of cold and blizzard really affecting this deck ..
All the cycle and cc has gone with this bull!@#$ nerf.

Well done blizzard. You start to mess up things again.
You dont have a middle way about doing somethin about nerfing or powering things on ur Every game.

Maybe try to nerf priest and paladin someday huh.

Oww wait. U guys play with priest and pally right.

Unbelivable. Like a joke.
Reply Quote
on this deck ;

before nerf

ur only chance to clean n control the table with coc(3) and blizzard(5)
flamestrike is late stage spell at this deck imo.

at early stages when ur opponent try to rush on you with some minions
ur having ur first defense with cone of cold ..
our goal is to reach minimum 20-25 hp to 5th mana..
but from now you can not control the table until you reach 7-8 mana pool or something like that..
the problem comes here when you reach 7-8 mana pool and you thinking start to counter.
Your hp is allready reduced to 15 or somethin like that and so many minions waiting to cc on the table.

at this time blizzard or coc will not help you to stop that guy because he is also so many options to finish you up on this health point.

This deck needs some improvement. Some other cards for defensing at early stage.
Reply Quote
12/15/2013 04:33 PMPosted by duncandun
Thats kind of my point, I guess. Counter spell will intercept AOEs and direct damage. I guess they serve different purposes, but It seems like counter is better overall simply because its always applicable.

They both have different uses. Counterspell is more likely to go off, which means it is more reliable and easier to defeat. Spellbender will save a minion from death, or steal a buff. Depending on the match-up and the board situation, you'll prefer one over the other.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]