Grandmaster/Master mage Decklist

Now what? Cone of Cold & Blizzard has been nerfed.

Is this deck still viable??

It seems too clunky now, lacks consistency.
Reply Quote
I didn't get to play a lot of games before the Nerf so its hard for me to feel a difference after the changes. I would say its still viable.
Reply Quote
I would say it is definitely still viable. I'm using this exact deck but removed the Cone Of Cold x2 for another Mirror Image and Sorcerer's Apprentice. You could actually replace 1 Blood Mage Thalnos for a 2nd Sorcerer's Apprentice instead, as they are extremely useful for reducing that increased cost.

Mage is still awesome. A 1 turn increase on waiting for Blizzard or Cone of Cold has no major effect on the deck, as it is designed as a late game deck. When I play this deck, I try to keep my opponent's field from growing too strong, yet I'm not afraid to take some damage. The way this deck wins is to build up a nice hand, and from turn 6 (sooner if you have Apprentice up) you immediately start controlling their board while doing damage. The key is managing your hand so you have plenty of tools late game, not being afraid of taking a little damage, and also properly deploying Mana Wyrms to maximize damage increase. I've messed around with Gadgeztan Auctioneer as well, and it can be nasty late game with Sorcerer's Apprentice.
Reply Quote
I play this same deck with 2 subs, Leeroy and mana addict. Can you guess where?
Reply Quote
Played my first game with a slightly modified version of this deck. It was incredible.

He was a warlock. Within the first few turns he had me down to 9 health. I had a huge hand at that point thanks to all the draw cards. He had a full side of minions - which I cleared entirely with Blizzard. Thinking the the worst had passed, he packed his side again - this time with stronger minions. Then I used flamestrike. At that point he had no cards and frequently had to use his hero power, damaging himself every turn. The two tanks I subbed in saved my life, then plopped down my Azure drake and Sorcerer's Apprentice which let me use two overkill Frostbolts.

TL;DR: This deck allows you to take heavy punishment early in return for enough options to keep you alive long enough to burst down your opponent mid-game.
Edited by Reiizm on 12/23/2013 11:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
r sharing !
I just got one question, what card I could use to use instead of "bloodmage thalnos".
Reply Quote
12/26/2013 12:33 AMPosted by Sceptyle
r sharing !
I just got one question, what card I could use to use instead of "bloodmage thalnos".
kobold geomancer
Edited by Elegance on 12/26/2013 9:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
very good deck. however, I thought it would be good to use the ice block. According to you, and this card which I could use my card instead?
Reply Quote
In response to why Spellbender instead of two counterspells:

The answer is: Because Spellbender also steals enemy buff spells. If someone casts Mark of the Wild, you will gain a 3/5 with taunt, for example.
Edited by Isher on 12/28/2013 8:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
haha beat 2 jaraxxus decks in a row with this deck I love it lol
Reply Quote
Sorry for opening this thread again, I'm new to this game, it's like a week I've the beta but I played MTG for years, not really competive but at medium-high level. I like very much the control decks, love them actually. I was wondering if someone could tell me if this list I made is good or is bad. I tryed to follow the bodwin build but I'm very unlucky with the pack and still didn't found a bloodmage thalnos or a pyroblast. Since I'm building some decks at the same time I don't really want to use all the dust to craft a pyroblast, even if i know that is a very importart card for this deck. I was wondering about the reliable of Violet Teacher, but I don't know if it's a good card.

This is my deck list, feel free to criticize it and I will be very grateful if you can give me some advice.

2x Arcane Missiles
1x Mirror Image
2x Mana Wyrm
1x Arcane Explosion
2x Frostbolt
2x Kobold Geomancer
2x Novice Engineer
2x Sorcerer's Apprentice
2x Arcane Intellect
2x Counterspell
1x Dalaran Mage
2x Cone of Cold
2x Fireball
2x Polymorph
2x Azure Drake
1x Blizzard
2x Flamestrike

I builded 1 Blizzard and 2 Flamestrike because after the nerf it's 6 mana for 2 damage and freeze... don't feel really comfortable with it in my hand when my opponent can have some big creature on the board, flamestrike cost only on more mana but deals 4 damage, for the freeze I have cone of cold, frost bolt, and arcane explosion with some spell damage boost can be a good spell.

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language, I'm trying to be as understandable as possible.

Thank you for the help.
Reply Quote
hi mate

here, read my tutorial on a non rare non legendary mage deck
it will help you a lot. feel free to add your thoughts after trying it out

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/11041504719
Reply Quote
Thanks for the answer, I'm going to try out this right know
Reply Quote
this deck is overpowered and is self explanatory and needs no mental challange and is perfect for someone barrely getting into the game that has money i cant wait till alextrazza gets nerfed and yess i do play mage and i love the deck but this format is just asking to get nerfed if anybody wants to get better at hearthstone i suggest u not play this format

no offense
Reply Quote
How old are you? 16ish? Gotta roll with the punches, this ain't burger king mang! You can't always have it your way here. P.S. I think the computer determines the outcome of every match, I've watched my cousin play magic for too long to not think there is some deck stacking going on behind that programming.

No offense. -Ruinous 41-mage
Reply Quote
lol i like the burger king punch line not everyone is original but what do i know im just sum 16ish little kid ti ur knowledge

and yeah i agree with u on that computer stakin

and if u think this is sum rant about how i dislike this deck format it is

sorry for being too honest
Reply Quote
Hai.
I wonder if this deck still works since theres a new bunch of patches and aswell if does work, does it work in constructed?
*Excuse my bad english*
Reply Quote
Hello! I made a deck based on the bodwin but after the nerf he not work very well, so i come here to see the changes that you guys made and i have a question. Is there any viable replace for alextraza? I only have 2 legendaries ysera and ragnaros. Thanks all you guys!
Reply Quote
Bodwin, have you updated your Mage deck or have you give up on it atm?
Reply Quote
Sorry wow gods, I didn't mean it. Please let me win a game again... :(
Edited by Ruinous on 1/10/2014 9:47 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]