The best hunter deck I've seen so far

I ran into a guy playing this deck twice, and he absolutely demolished me with it. So, I decided to build it and try it out, and so far I've lost one game out of 20 (ranked at One Star Master).

Here's the list (I'm sure the guy I played against had a couple different cards, but this is my list):

2x Flare
2x Tracking
2x Unleash the Hounds
2x Stonetusk Boar
2x Timber Wolf
2x Young Dragonhawk
2x Explosive Trap
2x Misdirection
2x Snipe
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Novice Engineer
2x Starving Buzzard
2x Eaglehorn Bow
2x Deadly Shot
2x Kill Command

The Concept is pretty simple: play it as if it's a control deck, using your traps and bow to take out minions early on, paying special attention to minions with taunt. When time allows, use the cards that give draw power to search the deck for all the one-cost minions (especially Timber Wolf and Young Dragonhawk) and at least one copy of Unleash the Hounds. When you've managed to chip the hero down far enough (and there's no massive taunter on board), play all the one-cost minions and Unleash the Hounds to deal huge damage in one turn.

This thing works beautifully. The only game I've lost so far was against someone who played a massive minion on turn six, then made it a taunter on turn seven, and I didn't have destruction in hand. I'm considering running the Ironbeak Owl just in case I run into a similar situation again.

A few notes on the cards:

-not only does Flare draw you cards, but it also works amazingly well for those hunter vs. hunter matchups where they played a secret. You REALLY don't want to run into an Explosive Trap on the turn you play all your 1-health minions.

-around turn eight or so, even if you don't have Unleash the Hounds in your hand, two Starving Buzzards plus three one-cost minions will almost certainly get you one copy. If you time it right, you can get all the cards you need from your draw power, even if you don't have all the pieces at the start of the turn.

-I rarely play Bloodfen Raptor on the turn when I use Unleash the Hounds, unless I have a second copy of Unleash in hand for later play. I mainly use Bloodfen to create a threat that forces the opponent to burn cards on him (instead of on my hero), as well as to get the extra damage out of Kill Command.

Anyone else run into (or tried) something similar? How did it fare for you? I've been playing a lot (too much) over the past week, and this is still by far the strongest deck I've seen, when played properly.

EDIT: took out the Bloodfen Raptors and added in Ironbeak Owls two weeks ago. Updating this post for those who read nothing of the thread besides this post.
Edited by Derek on 9/19/2013 10:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What turn do you normally "go off" on? And I feel like Dire Wolf Alpha would be better than Stone Tusk Boar since UTH already gives Charge. Is the 1 mana that crucial?
Reply Quote
08/31/2013 02:13 AMPosted by Ulvkrig
What turn do you normally "go off" on? And I feel like Dire Wolf Alpha would be better than Stone Tusk Boar since UTH already gives Charge. Is the 1 mana that crucial?

It's usually around turn 8. Sometimes 7, sometimes 9. It has to do with whether or not you've managed to draw the cards you need yet, how much life your opponent still has, and what they have on the board.

I'd say the one mana makes a pretty large difference. If I can play two boars in one turn, that's an extra four or five damage, compared to the three you get from dire wolves (2 vs. 1 attack, plus buffing neighbors). It's also convenient for card draw with buzzards. Finally, I'll occasionally use them earlier in the game, before the final combo goes off, just to rush in and kill off a minion with 1 health left or to buff an important kill command.

I've played TCGs most of my life, and I've never played one where one turn was so frequently the difference between killing your opponent and them killing you, as often seems to be the case in Hearthstone. With that in mind, I always want to keep everything as cheap as possible for the overall effect. If I can do with 1 mana what I could otherwise do with 2, I'll take the 1 mana route every time.
Reply Quote
So I made this deck tonight to play around with, as I'm still trying to find "my" Hunter deck that I enjoy. Pretty much the same deck, except I only have 1 Eaglehorn Bow and little dust at the time, so I subbed a Gladiator's Crossbow.

I lost a string of games as I learned how to play it. Until today I was very much a "if you have the mana, play it" player. This deck has made me seen the importance of not playing cards ASAP. Once I learned the deck, it was a matter of removing minions while I waited for my hand to fill up with the 1 and 2 cost cards. It does make me nervous a bit when I drop below 20 health and I start worrying that the opponent's going to play a huge buff on one of their minions and start hitting a lot harder before I'm ready to go. I really like this deck. I feel as though there is little RNG involved with this deck, which is usually not the case with other decks. I haven't lost a game yet to bad draws, just an opponent outplaying me. My biggest issue right now seems to be Paladin decks who keep healing themselves, which makes it very hard to whittle them down enough to play everything.

I do enjoy this deck very much. While it is epic to play a very high cost card to summon a legendary minion and turn the tide of the game, it is also epic to be taking damage the whole game with little of your own minions on the field, only to suddenly summon 6 creatures, they're all bumped to 2, 3, 4 damage, two have windfury, and suddenly they all have charge.

This deck is awesome. Since I learned how to use it properly, I've only lost 3 games; 2 where a Priest or Paladin deck kept healing itself up, and one where my stupidness made me deck myself out and die from fatigue on the same turn I actually was going to rush and win.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
So I made this deck tonight to play around with, as I'm still trying to find "my" Hunter deck that I enjoy. Pretty much the same deck, except I only have 1 Eaglehorn Bow and little dust at the time, so I subbed a Gladiator's Crossbow.

I lost a string of games as I learned how to play it. Until today I was very much a "if you have the mana, play it" player. This deck has made me seen the importance of not playing cards ASAP. Once I learned the deck, it was a matter of removing minions while I waited for my hand to fill up with the 1 and 2 cost cards. It does make me nervous a bit when I drop below 20 health and I start worrying that the opponent's going to play a huge buff on one of their minions and start hitting a lot harder before I'm ready to go. I really like this deck. I feel as though there is little RNG involved with this deck, which is usually not the case with other decks. I haven't lost a game yet to bad draws, just an opponent outplaying me. My biggest issue right now seems to be Paladin decks who keep healing themselves, which makes it very hard to whittle them down enough to play everything.

I do enjoy this deck very much. While it is epic to play a very high cost card to summon a legendary minion and turn the tide of the game, it is also epic to be taking damage the whole game with little of your own minions on the field, only to suddenly summon 6 creatures, they're all bumped to 2, 3, 4 damage, two have windfury, and suddenly they all have charge.

This deck is awesome. Since I learned how to use it properly, I've only lost 3 games; 2 where a Priest or Paladin deck kept healing itself up, and one where my stupidness made me deck myself out and die from fatigue on the same turn I actually was going to rush and win.

Thanks.

Awesome to hear, Ganrokh. :) I've been playing all day, and still my only loss was the one from last night. I did switch out the Bloodfen Raptors to carry the Ironbeak Owl, though. Other than that, nothing in this deck has changed.
Reply Quote
I play a very similar version of this deck that I am currently Rank 1 Master with. I am not currently using flare though...As I feel that it is wasted against many other decks besides Hunter.

A key some don't understand is the strong counter ability you have with all the secrets. If you pair this right with the bow, it can stay out their for a long time. The control you gain is huge, because by you having control you can break/ bust many combos of other players. Since as the OP suggests that many HS games come down to the wire, if you can break/ stall a combo even for a turn, you increase your chance for victory greatly.

The only card that I really like that this deck doesn't contain is the 3 Mana Hunter card that summons a random beast minion. For some reason I just love it.
Reply Quote
... and I've seem to hit a wall with this deck. Won almost every game and got up to Platinum 2. I've played 5 games since I've hit Platinum 2, and I've lost all of them. Not sure what's causing it. Mainly hunters, Druids, and Shaman who were able to burst me down before I was ready to go.
Edited by Ganrokh on 9/3/2013 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This deck is about survival.. if possible get more control cards.. bow/secrets if you can .. if needed i even play owl/kill command combo against bigger taunt creatures to survive longer.. then around turn 6-8 is when you unleash. Having more control cards in the beginning means that youll most likely have to rely on the buzzard to draw your needed creatures.. its a gamble at times..
Reply Quote
This is a damn good deck as I have faced off against it with many different classes...Hunter v Hunter it can handle any beast deck. however against a mage it gets real interesting.
Reply Quote
So after playing with the deck for sometime, I made a couple of tweaks to this deck..

My tweaks:
Replace Novice Engineer with Bestial Wrath
Replace Deadly Shot with Jungle Panther

I noticed that the deck would be at times slow (turn 7-9) depending on the draw and there would be not as much flexibility in terms of defending an attack. Deadly Shot is very situational and random especially against many foes. I found that having a stealth beast out could function in the same way as deadly shot. In addition, having him out would be 5 damage on Kill Command. If you dont end up using him immediately, he would be a larger part of the final attack.

Bestial Wrath is just awesome. It allows you to come out slightly earlier with the right card combos. For instance, BW with Young Dragonhawk and unleash is 8 damage or you could do instant 3 damage with BW and Boar.. Throw in a timberwolve and the damage multiplies.. so much more flexibility and survivibility
Edited by Chewstick on 9/4/2013 5:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You'd be better off doing this with a Shaman and Bloodlust (+3 atk vs +1 with no charge). 5 cheap minions is +15 atk.
Reply Quote
I played against this deck and I found its weakness. Acid oozes and silence birds will pretty much halt this deck in place and really just turn into an under powered beast deck...Its pretty all or nothing and lacks the ability to deal with aoe and silence.
Reply Quote
TheChiv.. I dont think you understand the point of the deck. If played correctly, there shouldnt really be any creatures on the board for you to aoe or silence. The point of the deck is to chip away using your arrow / weapon / traps until around turn 6-8 where you lay out all the creatures/buffs at once (usually doing between 15-25 damage that one turn).. The weakness to this deck is staying alive long enough to play your hand on turn 6-8.. The problem is that if you face a fast minion deck, its almost impossible for you especially if you dont have the control cards in hand early on.. Also its tough to chip away life when you are constantly being attacked..
Reply Quote
09/07/2013 12:31 AMPosted by TheChiv
I played against this deck and I found its weakness. Acid oozes and silence birds will pretty much halt this deck in place and really just turn into an under powered beast deck...Its pretty all or nothing and lacks the ability to deal with aoe and silence.

Not true at all. You should never, ever rely on allies on board. You're literally doing ALL the damage on one turn by throwing all your minions out and giving them charge. Silence does absolutely nothing, because there's no one to silence. Same goes for aoe. Hunter's Explosive Trap can cause problems, but that's why I run Flare (plus extra draw power).

I've still lost only once with this deck, after a couple weeks of play. And that was before I made a couple of changes to it (took out Bloodfen Raptor and stuck in the Owl).
Reply Quote
09/06/2013 06:02 PMPosted by Warchild
You'd be better off doing this with a Shaman and Bloodlust (+3 atk vs +1 with no charge). 5 cheap minions is +15 atk.

The point of this deck is to not have to rely on minions staying on the board. When I play against a shaman (with any deck, not just this one), I make sure to kill every ally he puts on the board so Bloodlust can never go off. By comparison, this deck lets me play two Dragonhawks, two Timber Wolves, and an Unleash the Hounds all on the same turn, for only 5 mana, and lets me deal 22 damage that turn. More importantly, not a single one of those allies need to start the turn in play, so there's no chance of killing them before they deal their damage.

Moreover, hunter has vastly more control-oriented cards.
Reply Quote
ive all the same cards as OP, lost all my games (i die before i can do the combo). obviously im doing something wrong right?

read all the posts and im playing how u all suggested to. but its not working. cannot get rid of enemies minions he just kills me

- r u supposed to not play ur beasts at all and just save them for the combo?
- r u supposed to be taking damage all the games im near low hp before i get chance to combo
- what if u dont draw the bow early on? then u lose? since deck is based around bow killing enemies to save u time for combo
Edited by IAINTEVENMAD on 9/14/2013 6:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I tried this deck a few times during ranked play (currently Diamond 2) and found that it's too much of a risk trying to save your cards for an all in on one turn. Of course when this does happen it's fantastic and almost a guaranteed win, but I found it more often than not that I found myself too low and having to play cards to keep myself alive.

I posted on this forum with the deck I used, and have won about 80-85% of games in Plat/Diamond. The thread is named 'Diamond Hunter Deck'.
Reply Quote
plus even if u do pull off the combo ur not gonna kill him in that 1 turn

his next turn he can just kill off some of oyur monsters and hewil probably win cause all ur monster counts

(lost like 5-6 games today, only won against other hunters, and im not even in high leagues yet still)

soooo...
Edited by IAINTEVENMAD on 9/14/2013 7:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
plus even if u do pull off the combo ur not gonna kill him in that 1 turn

his next turn he can just kill off some of oyur monsters and hewil probably win cause all ur monster counts

(lost like 5-6 games today, only won against other hunters, and im not even in high leagues yet still)

soooo...

As the OP, I've been playing this deck for a couple of weeks, and have only lost twice: once before I tweaked the deck (as mentioned before), and once when both my Unleash the Hounds were in the last five cards of the deck.

First, you want to make sure you start the game off with some decent traps in hand. You don't need the bow to win, but you definitely need significant ways of killing off allies.

Second, make sure you're doing "just enough" to kill off his board. Hold onto your Deadly Shot etc. for bigger allies, and use things like Engineers, Misdirection, Explosive Trap, and even a timely Boar/Kill Command combo to take out his board.

Third, sometimes you really have to think about the best move to make at the time. This entire deck is a balance between knowing how many cards are left in your deck, knowing how much damage you can inflict in one turn, and managing your cards well so you don't waste any on allies that aren't worth it. More often than not, the conservative approach is the right one.

Fourth, make sure you're using your hero power to chip away at the opponent hero's life. This will make your combo for fatal damage much easier to get later game.

Fifth, never, EVER play EITHER Dragonhawk until you're ready to do the full combo. Also make sure you have at least one Unleash the Hounds still in your deck, and ideally both Timber Wolves. It doesn't always require both Timber Wolves, though. Again, make sure you're doing the math.

Sixth, once you're down to ten or so cards left in your deck (you should get there quickly, with all the draw power this deck has), even if you don't have all the pieces of the combo, one Starving Buzzard and two or three one-cost allies will almost always draw you the remaining cards you need. So, if you see that your opponent is getting too close to having too many allies on board to handle any more, or if he's gotten your life low enough that he might be able to kill you next turn, it's probably time to throw down a Buzzard and go for the combo, even if you don't have all the cards in hand. If you manage to get down to five cards left in your deck and still don't have all the cards you need for the combo, then you had a supremely unlucky draw and weren't going to win that game anyway.

Finally, don't do the combo if it won't net you enough damage to kill the opponent. If you try for the combo before Engineers, Explosive Traps, Misdirections, Bows, and hero flips have chipped ten or so points of life away from the opponent, you're not playing the deck right.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]