The best hunter deck I've seen so far

11/20/2013 07:43 PMPosted by TotalPutts
I agree you shouldn't have to nerf all beasts because UtH exists, however some thought should be put into giving a cheap beast windfury

It's a 1 toughness minion that does 2 damage a turn - as long as nothing does any damage back to it - for 1 mana. This is pretty much standard. The dragonhawk is not overpowered, and once again - nerfing it just because Hunters can use it effectively is dumb. It's still a balanced 1 drop that works well for Hunters. It is not the problem here. The problem is Unleash the Hounds providing absolutely everything with +1 attack and charge. For, at present, only 1 mana.

The ability to go from nothing on the table to a sudden burst of damage is not inherently broken - or if it is, Mages need a real close look. The broken part is the size of the burst of damage available very early in the game because of Unleash the Hounds letting everything charge. Restrict it to 3 minions and you have effectively gutted the combo while leaving stuff like Core Hound + Unleash as a finisher available to other Hunter decks.

If dragonhawk does get nerfed, it ought to be to something like a 2 cost 1/2 or 2/1 with Windfury. It should still be a beast, because dragonhawks *ARE* beasts. It is totally unacceptable to encourage the devs to go "Whoops, that's a good card, better strip the beast tag from it or some Hunter might use it." Hunters need good minions too, and having to turn away from beasts truly guts many of their class specific cards. Nerf all the beasts or strip them of the beast tag and you effectively destroy the Hunter class. Permanently.
Reply Quote
11/21/2013 01:04 PMPosted by Moncrief
I agree you shouldn't have to nerf all beasts because UtH exists, however some thought should be put into giving a cheap beast windfury

It's a 1 toughness minion that does 2 damage a turn - as long as nothing does any damage back to it - for 1 mana. This is pretty much standard. The dragonhawk is not overpowered, and once again - nerfing it just because Hunters can use it effectively is dumb. It's still a balanced 1 drop that works well for Hunters. It is not the problem here. The problem is Unleash the Hounds providing absolutely everything with +1 attack and charge. For, at present, only 1 mana.

The ability to go from nothing on the table to a sudden burst of damage is not inherently broken - or if it is, Mages need a real close look. The broken part is the size of the burst of damage available very early in the game because of Unleash the Hounds letting everything charge. Restrict it to 3 minions and you have effectively gutted the combo while leaving stuff like Core Hound + Unleash as a finisher available to other Hunter decks.

If dragonhawk does get nerfed, it ought to be to something like a 2 cost 1/2 or 2/1 with Windfury. It should still be a beast, because dragonhawks *ARE* beasts. It is totally unacceptable to encourage the devs to go "Whoops, that's a good card, better strip the beast tag from it or some Hunter might use it." Hunters need good minions too, and having to turn away from beasts truly guts many of their class specific cards. Nerf all the beasts or strip them of the beast tag and you effectively destroy the Hunter class. Permanently.

Windfury is arguably the most powerful effect in the game. Only 9 cards currently in the game have windfury, more than half of them are shaman cards. I think any mana cost or stats change to the dragon hawk would kill the card for everyone.

No matter what blizzard WILL ALWAYS have to pay attention to what minions have the beast tag, for the reason they will always have to be careful what minions have the murloc or demon tag.

How many with available minions synergy have windfury? Oh right just one, which happens to help the stars align much easier for UtH.

I am done arguing that point with you. I will leave with saying I could be completely wrong and actually if I were to bet, blizzard will simply add mana to UtH.
Reply Quote
Vaporizing my King Krush to put this deck together tonight wasn't easy, but when I looked at the deck comp...really a brilliant strategy. I've been stuck at Platinum 2 for 2 weeks winning about 40% of my games, tonight I went 10/1. Really excellent build for hunter, and good timing, too. I was starting to get discouraged...
Reply Quote
I mostly play hunter and thought I'd give the "Unleash the Hounds deck" a try. I'm sure with more practice it would be easier to know when to strike and do the killing blow on the opponent but I got tired of manually calculating it to know when that is.

To ease my noobness I spent an hour or so this morning throwing together a simple tool easily keep track of the cost and overall damage your combination of cards can create. You can also track cards that have already been played, weapons, spells/abilities and manually tweak things.

I really just created it for my own use but I don't mind sharing and improving on it if others find it useful. It could use better card management and probably need a few more cards added but it's a decent proof of concept that works for my needs.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

http://powncer.com/HSCalc/
Reply Quote
I've played about 10 games with the deck listed in the OP, swapping out Flare with Animal Companion. I have no idea how people are getting to Master 3. I've been playing for about a month, stuck at Gold 3, and I've lost more games than I win with this deck because it's so RNG. If you don't get the right combos around turn 7 or 8, you're screwed.

I'll keep practicing, but I'm wondering: what do you typically look for in your opening hand?

Do you want to throw away the 1 cost minions to get the bow/secrets/removal?
Or do you keep the 1 cost minions?

When I throw them away, I never have enough power to do the combo unless I get lucky and draw several. When I keep them, I don't have enough removal to deal with the enemy. I've gone maybe 4-10 with this deck so something tells me I'm playing it wrong. Thanks for any advice. I'll keep reading through the thread.
Reply Quote
The weapon is the key, you have to tartget the opponent and use your traps to trigger the +1 durability for infinte damage at his face.
Edited by Kilban on 12/1/2013 1:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
worst deck i ever played, tryed a lot of combos and never won a single game
Reply Quote
12/01/2013 08:46 AMPosted by Omnus
If you don't get the right combos around turn 7 or 8, you're screwed.

Couldn't agree more on that. I have tried this deck tonight. 10 games played: 9 losses / 1 win.

edit: Even if you're lucky and you're able to collect the right cards for the final combo if the opponent has a taunt card your combo become useless (if you don't have a silence in your hand).

I don't know how people can claim they've won 10 games in a row with this. It's 10% chance for a perfect combination of cards for a win vs 90% of situation when you're completly screwed.

Worst deck I have ever seen imo.
Edited by Gwaith on 12/2/2013 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
from all the whining on the forums, unfortunately, your findings aren't consistent with what the player base is experiencing Gwaith. You should see the other areas of the forums. Between the tracking exploit and the UtH Hunter decks, it's all you read about elsewhere lol.

Maybe it takes more than 10 games to get the hang of how to play the deck ?
Reply Quote
from all the whining on the forums, unfortunately, your findings aren't consistent with what the player base is experiencing Gwaith. You should see the other areas of the forums. Between the tracking exploit and the UtH Hunter decks, it's all you read about elsewhere lol.

No, it's just that nobody is willing to admit "I played 6 Hunter decks that I'm pretty sure were UTH combo decks, but I couldn't tell for 4 of them since I killed them before they got a chance to do anything. One of them got off his combo, but couldn't get enough damage past the two taunts I created with Defender of Argus, so I survived and killed him next turn. The other one actually worked and killed me. Nerf UTH! It's not fair!" They just fail to mention those first 5 games, and pretend that the last one is the typical case when calling for nerfs to a class they do not play.

Well, I think it may also be more than 10 games to get the hang of how to play the deck too - it's not that bad, although the current meta is pretty strongly slanted to hard-counter it. Even so, it's far from the worst deck out there.
Reply Quote
Is this still good? new to hearthstone just wondering if its still worth building? or has it changed with nerfs etc?
Reply Quote

Since I am stubborn I kept playing and honestly the overall win/loose ratio is still unfavorable.
In most of the games I've played I wasn't able to play the combo.
Reply Quote
I replaced the stonetusk boars with hungry crabs. You can't use the removal power of the board but if you are lucky you eat a murloc and deal even more damage in your combo
Reply Quote
Unleash The Hounds is nerfed. It now costs 4 mana and it does something completely different: "For each enemy minion, summon a 1/1 hound with charge."
This is unforntunate, as I was winning 90 % of the games with this deck. Only way to do this now the way I see it is with Tundra Rhino. But it all will cost to much mana I'm affraid.
I think this deck has officialy been nerfed!
Edited by Sjokolata on 12/11/2013 3:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
I built this deck and tried it a few times. after the UtH nerf its basically useless. close thread and go try something else.
Reply Quote
12/12/2013 11:57 AMPosted by Siphtrex
I built this deck and tried it a few times. after the UtH nerf its basically useless. close thread and go try something else.

Lol, no !@#$ Sherlock Holmes, the whole pillar of the deck was Unleash the Hounds, and the card got changed, it's like asking the Twin Towers to still be standing after a plane crashes on them.
Reply Quote
Hi guys, just want a quick word from any experienced players using this deck. I did not fully follow the build of this deck because I don't have all the cards that is stated above such as Eaglehorn Bow, Tracking and Explosive Trap. *Are the 3 cards mentioned very (i mean VERY) crucial to the deck build?

And I've played 4 matches with a deck closest I can get to the deck build shown above and I lost 2 of 3 matches. I don't really know the strong counters to this deck but here are the reasons why I lost.

1st match: won against a priest due to strong aggressive early game by me

2nd match: lost because opponent summoned high mana taunts around the 5th turn. Against a mage.

3rd match: lost because in the 4th round, opponent summoned a 8/8 taunt (using 2 x (+2) mana crystal spells). Against a druid.

*Am I just unlucky or lack of practice (new to the deck) or missing the 3 types of cards are detrimental?

Thank you for taking time to reply to this long post :)
Reply Quote
12/14/2013 10:40 PMPosted by Mechanics
Hi guys, just want a quick word from any experienced players using this deck. I did not fully follow the build of this deck because I don't have all the cards that is stated above such as Eaglehorn Bow, Tracking and Explosive Trap. *Are the 3 cards mentioned very (i mean VERY) crucial to the deck build?

And I've played 4 matches with a deck closest I can get to the deck build shown above and I lost 2 of 3 matches. I don't really know the strong counters to this deck but here are the reasons why I lost.

1st match: won against a priest due to strong aggressive early game by me

2nd match: lost because opponent summoned high mana taunts around the 5th turn. Against a mage.

3rd match: lost because in the 4th round, opponent summoned a 8/8 taunt (using 2 x (+2) mana crystal spells). Against a druid.

*Am I just unlucky or lack of practice (new to the deck) or missing the 3 types of cards are detrimental?

Thank you for taking time to reply to this long post :)

This deck build is now completely dead. Blizzard hit it will a VERY well needed nerf. Unleash the hounds is now worthless except perhaps against a warlock. Hunters are currently looking for a new exploit, as this one is gone.
Reply Quote
Hey Dereck, i tried your deck, but ppl keep killing my dragonhawk asap, is there any way to def it? or is that just with traps?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]