The best hunter deck I've seen so far

This is a formidable deck as long as you don't face a similar rush/aggression deck, Shaman Murloc aggression can beat this deck.
Reply Quote
09/29/2013 10:23 AMPosted by Cielos
This is a formidable deck as long as you don't face a similar rush/aggression deck, Shaman Murloc aggression can beat this deck.

Murlocs can be very tough if you don't draw your explosive traps, and very easy if you do.
Reply Quote
09/29/2013 04:53 AMPosted by Ogrumz

Card list, please. Not much discussion to be had with a statement like that, that gives no one anything to think about.

It is in the shaman forums, and I have played Tallywag atleast 6 times and he uses a better version of this deck.

1) Of course I'm biased, but I really doubt there's a "better version" of this deck being played by anyone. This deck does what it does VERY well. I'm curious to hear what you think might be improved, though.

2) I really have no idea how your shaman deck is supposed to beat this hunter deck. Your early game totems die to explosive trap, your late game minions die to kill command, snipe, and deadly shot, the ones that are left hit each other and/or your hero with misdirection, eight cards in the deck are rendered useless because hunter won't play minions until the turn he deals fatal damage, and you have too few taunters to stop the single-turn onslaught. You might get off some damage here and there, but I really doubt it'll be enough to kill the hunter before he's able to get his combo.
Reply Quote
I don't have all the cards in the deck as listed (no doubles of Flare, Snipe, Misdirect, e.g.), so I run with a slightly diluted form. It doesn't have the same win ratio that the OP has, but when it works it is brutal.

Just played a couple of games for the hunter 2-win daily. First was a rogue deck, and he had lethal damage on the board in the form of a 15 damage Questing Adventurer when I laid down enough of the combo to finish him off that turn(not to mention an owl to silence the QA in case it wasn't enough). I get a 'Well Played' from him as I killed him with about 4 health left.

Second game, I get the same guy playing a paladin deck. I figure I'm screwed, as he knows what's coming. Again, we trade some blows but he has lethal on the board against me. This time it's friggin Illidan Stormrage, a 6/6 blood knight, a warglaive and the argent commander the knight took the shield from. I don't have quite what I want in my hand (1 unleash, 1 dragonhawk, 1 direwolf alpha, 1 flare but I top deck a buzzard and get rolling. I start spinning out a couple timberwolves and get a second Unleash and I polish him off again with damage to spare. Alas, no 'Well Played' that time, although why he didn't play any taunts is beyond me. Guess he was rolling without them. Sorry guy!
Edited by Hawkeye32D on 9/30/2013 1:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have two Hungry Crabs in my deck which are beasts that are still 1 mana to cost, but have Battlecry that destroys a Murloc and gains +2/+2. Just in case I play someone who is running Murlocs, since it has been mentioned a few times here that Murlocs apparently seem to be a problem with this deck.
Reply Quote

Actually, you have played me before. No, it wasn't me who beat you with unleash the hounds, but I have played you - a couple times actually - and beaten you each time with that hunter deck.

Mmmmm....no. I've lost only four games since playing this deck. One was a ton of taunters. One was a ton of Divine Shield. One was a mirror match against someone playing the same deck as me. One was a rush Hunter deck. That's it.

Ugh.. NO, I meant My hunter deck, not yours.
Reply Quote

Mmmmm....no. I've lost only four games since playing this deck. One was a ton of taunters. One was a ton of Divine Shield. One was a mirror match against someone playing the same deck as me. One was a rush Hunter deck. That's it.

Ugh.. NO, I meant My hunter deck, not yours.

In that case, there isn't much to brag about. If you played against me and I was playing anything other than my hunter deck, then you played against me using something I threw together in two minutes just to get my daily quest completed. My goal is normally to build and play as fast as possible, just to get it over with.
Reply Quote
Just want to chim in. I've found this deck interesting to face against, and has surprised me a couple times. As mentioned having a steady aggressive deck with taunters (which I play sometimes) gives this deck issues (like having a few good late game taunts around the time the combo is supposed to go off), playing murlocs (which I've been having fun with) I've won countless times (since I play with imp and buff health minions helps my murloc deck get past this decks AOE). Also to the guy saying Shaman Control would win easy, I'd differ (I'm 40ish and 10 with mine). Unless you play a none traditional heavy taunt based Shaman Control or just aggro Shaman, then yes you'd do better, but Shaman control is wait for the board to counter, this happens in one turn.

I'm going to try and make this deck next time and see how I'd improve it. Off the bat looking at the deck, I may move more in the direction of removal through creatures such as that 4/2 stealth wolf, to add pressure/removal (removing snipe, however I can see how that would take away from the bow and doing 2 damage from hero power if it was early game). I'd heavily consider putting 3/5 Senjin in, since it could !@#$ block aggro which is an issue for this deck and buy stalling power (I'd remove the novice engineer for this, since ya the engineer gets you to your combo a liiiiiiiitle faster, but still chance, the Senjin can definately buy you perhaps an equal amount of time or more in removing some aggro). I don't think I'd play with flare (I'd have it in sideboard). I'd put in 1 The Beast Legendary, 1-2 Core Hound (this would double as a second win condition if your forced to play your little minions early, or you only got 1-2 of your combo, but now have a 10/5 or 11/6 charging beast).
Edited by Zargash on 10/2/2013 8:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I took a crack at this deck, however was missing a good-ish amount of the cards, but game up with a very interesting twist based off this deck. So basically all I was missing was all the 1 mana units, only one I had was 2x Timber Wolf and 2x Unleash the Hounds.

So what I did was replace one of the flares with Hunter's Mark, and added in another, so x2 there. The reason I did this is because I find it unethical to take 2 card slots for a 1/9 chance you will get a hunter, and beyond those chances it gets even smaller with the fact whether you will actually need it or not. This is a 0 mana card that is great for removing taunts in a make it or break it moment. What I mean by this is, their next turn could be your loss, and the only thing stopping you from winning is a taunt, which I find happens quite often. Drop a hunter's mark, use some slave card to destroy the taunt and itself, then go all out, works very well.

Because of my lack of the point of this deck, being all the 1 mana units, I went in another direction, and took out King Krush. Does 8 damage and has charge, for 9 cost though.

So here is how it plays: Starts off very similar to this deck, keep the board clean until high rounds, pick off player health little by little. Round 8 drop 2x Arcane Shot and 2x Worgen Infiltrator. This will do 4 damage for 2 mana, and put in 2 stealth that do 2 damage each, this is prep for next round. Round 9, drop King Krush, attack with that and x2 Worgen Infiltrators. This is 12 damage in 1 turn, which I've found quite easy to get the player down to over 8 rounds.

The major benefit I see to this deck is pretty simple, it requires way less cards to accomplish basically the same thing, which leaves you a ton more room in your deck for time wasters and secrets. Needing less cards also makes it easier to pull it off, you don't need 10+ cards, just 3. But you don't even need all 3 in most cases, I usually pick off enough over that time, and protect myself enough to make just King Krush work. Here is a video of me playing this deck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy-F5p31hZY

Bear in mind, that video was before I refined it, as you will notice it still has some beast cards in it, which at this point have totally been replaced. For the most part my only actual unit is King Krush and x2 Worgen Infiltrators. The rest of it is all time wasters and board clearing.
Reply Quote
I took a crack at this deck, however was missing a good-ish amount of the cards, but game up with a very interesting twist based off this deck. So basically all I was missing was all the 1 mana units, only one I had was 2x Timber Wolf and 2x Unleash the Hounds.

So what I did was replace one of the flares with Hunter's Mark, and added in another, so x2 there. The reason I did this is because I find it unethical to take 2 card slots for a 1/9 chance you will get a hunter, and beyond those chances it gets even smaller with the fact whether you will actually need it or not. This is a 0 mana card that is great for removing taunts in a make it or break it moment. What I mean by this is, their next turn could be your loss, and the only thing stopping you from winning is a taunt, which I find happens quite often. Drop a hunter's mark, use some slave card to destroy the taunt and itself, then go all out, works very well.

Because of my lack of the point of this deck, being all the 1 mana units, I went in another direction, and took out King Krush. Does 8 damage and has charge, for 9 cost though.

So here is how it plays: Starts off very similar to this deck, keep the board clean until high rounds, pick off player health little by little. Round 8 drop 2x Arcane Shot and 2x Worgen Infiltrator. This will do 4 damage for 2 mana, and put in 2 stealth that do 2 damage each, this is prep for next round. Round 9, drop King Krush, attack with that and x2 Worgen Infiltrators. This is 12 damage in 1 turn, which I've found quite easy to get the player down to over 8 rounds.

The major benefit I see to this deck is pretty simple, it requires way less cards to accomplish basically the same thing, which leaves you a ton more room in your deck for time wasters and secrets. Needing less cards also makes it easier to pull it off, you don't need 10+ cards, just 3. But you don't even need all 3 in most cases, I usually pick off enough over that time, and protect myself enough to make just King Krush work. Here is a video of me playing this deck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy-F5p31hZY

Bear in mind, that video was before I refined it, as you will notice it still has some beast cards in it, which at this point have totally been replaced. For the most part my only actual unit is King Krush and x2 Worgen Infiltrators. The rest of it is all time wasters and board clearing.

It is not a 1/9 chance you will be paired up with a hunter. It's a 1 in 3 chance you will be paired up versus a Hunter, Mage, or Paladin. I LITERALLY just finished a game where I took out two secrets that a Mage had in play by playing Tracking.

If I'm playing the other 2 out of 3 chance classes that do not have secrets, I just use it as a 1 mana draw card. If I play against a Rogue or Warlock, I tend to save it in case they play something that is stealthed or adds stealth. Warlocks have the 1/1 creature that adds +1 health every turn that starts out with stealth.

Just think of it as a 1 cost card to draw an extra card. It also has extra benefit if there happens to be stealthed enemies or if they have secrets in play.
Reply Quote
3 star diamond now! 4-1 W-L atm replace the kill commands for a 3 - 5 taunt and arcane shot // or 2 arcane shoots trust me.
Reply Quote
10/04/2013 06:14 AMPosted by Firenova
3 star diamond now! 4-1 W-L atm replace the kill commands for a 3 - 5 taunt and arcane shot // or 2 arcane shoots trust me.

No offense, but I don't think five plays with a deck is a large enough sampling to use as evidence that this is actually an improvement.

Now, why would you take Kill Command out and put Arcane Shot in? If you're going to do 2 damage, might as well do it with an Explosive Trap. You can take a little damage from 1-cost minions early on before you need to worry too much. Furthermore, being able to deal 5 damage from a Kill Command gets you around more problematic minions mid-game, or can be used on the hero for added damage.
Reply Quote

No offense, but I don't think five plays with a deck is a large enough sampling to use as evidence that this is actually an improvement.

Now, why would you take Kill Command out and put Arcane Shot in? If you're going to do 2 damage, might as well do it with an Explosive Trap. You can take a little damage from 1-cost minions early on before you need to worry too much. Furthermore, being able to deal 5 damage from a Kill Command gets you around more problematic minions mid-game, or can be used on the hero for added damage.

True Story^^

Kill Command says hello Senjin'.

I've also, and on more than one occasion, used Kill in addition to combo'n off in order to eek out the damage needed to snag dat win. It just depends on the situation; you have to do the math each game depending on what going on.

I love this deck. I've been lurking this thread since it appeared-I play something very similar, a slightly looser control style but I have the option to shift into aggro if the situation calls for it.

I've discover that normally if you combo on turn 6-8 but just miss getting the kill(which does sometimes happen with this deck), they will spend most of their next turn sweeping the board and dealing with you pumped up beasts as opposed to dropping taunters so the following turn I will follow up with a Gladiator or Crush to the face.

Basically where this thread is about more control/combo my deck is more aggro/control but with the combo still in there as a win con.
Edited by Intoshadows on 10/4/2013 7:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
before the wipe i had a really great deck, trying to rebuild is tough!

4 traps, exploding, freezing, misdirection, and snipe

hunters mark, flare, deadly shot, arcane shot, multi shot, the fire one (5 to target and 1 to targets next to it)

that 3 cost random beast one, wolf riders, the dwarf that does 2 damage with battlecry

that 5/2 annoying goblin with charge, the 4/2 guy with charge

this deck is a wait and take out the enemy minions before you rush in and lay the smack down... most wins with this one have come from the misdirection or the explosive trap...
Reply Quote
deck works great, just need to get some games in to get used to the playstyle
Reply Quote
All in all, I love the concept here. Whatever criticisms I have are very minor; moreover, I started playing yesterday, so bear with me some if I’m completely off base with some of these.

Isn’t Flare something of a waste? Hunter decks of a similar ilk to this one are the only impressive users of Secrets. I don’t know that I’d pick up Flare unless I knew I was going up against this sort of deck ahead of time, like in a tournament. The other effect, Stealth, is a joke. It’s almost always just some Jungle Panther that poses no medium-or-long-term threat. If Flare isn’t doing one of those, it’s just a !@#$ty Tracking wannabe, right?

So far as the Secrets go, I don’t like Freezing Trap, either. There are definitely better ways to deal with scary high-value cards (namely, Kill Command and Misdirection; Explosive Shot is too expensive). At the very least, though, Snake Trap seems to be less situational than Snipe, which totally gets wasted way too often on low-health cards. Nothing more frustrating than Snipe getting blown on someone else’s Novice Engineer. Snake Trap has synergy with Eaglehorn Bow, like Snipe, but also with the beast synergy cards (Starving Buzzard, Timber Wolf). Misdirection and Explosive Trap are both unabashedly great at their jobs. I only wish I could have more of them.

Speaking of synergy, Novice Engineer seems somehow out of place here, doesn’t it? It doesn’t significantly speed your way to obtaining those low-cost beast cards the deck is really about like Tracking does, and it’s borderline useless once it’s in play. Scavenging Hyena can, instead, *be* one of those cards, with the added effect of punishing/distracting players through its on-card buff. Animal Companion could also benefit directly from the core idea of the deck for a slightly higher mana cost. If Novice Engineer were a 1-mana card, maybe, but there’s no way it’s anything other than a waste of a potentially good draw from round 3–6.

The only other concern of mine would be that Ironbeak Owl, at least two of them, would maybe be somewhat of an overreaction to the threat of an expensive taunt/scary card text. I don’t necessarily have a good suggestion for a replacement, though.
Reply Quote
I tested this deck a bit last night after playing a guy that beat me with it. I’ve seen him before hanging out in 3 star grand master and he already has all the gold hunter cards so he’s probably playing a lot. I saw his deck up to 28/30 cards and the main thing that was different was he didn’t have starving buzzard, there’s really no point for it in that deck, when you’re dropping your creatures it’s for the kill shot. I’ve tested this deck a fair bit pre-wipe and thought I’d come back to it since my opponent seemed to keep getting the perfect cards with uncanny reliability.

I love hunters but I still think this deck is kind of a gimmick. The problem is in 3 star grand master if you’re not getting your eaglehorn out, you’re probably in a world of hurt. I went 3 games without getting an eaglehorn in my first 20 cards, and the game after I cast tracking and got “2 unleash the hounds and an eaglehorn longbow” and I just hung my head. The problem with tracking is the other cards get discarded. I needed my eaglehorn longbow, but if I knew I had lost both my unleash the hounds I was screwed.

Also, another thing I noticed the way the meta has shifted this last week is that people aren’t going quite so overboard with the creature removal (Especially now that rogues got nerfed into the ground). This deck was quite a callout when so many people had to keep all their creature removal in their hands, but the top decks now have adjusted so that they’re not caught with their pants down if the opponent isn’t playing creatures. Also, good players play around secrets better. I liked the idea of the deck.

I was still above 500 with the deck but I just don’t like anything that relies so much on so few cards and just folds up if you get bad draws. I like consistency better. Yeah you feel unstoppable when you have your eaglehorn and 2 explosive traps, but you’re just not in control when you’re not getting the right cards. Also, this deck kind of folds it up to “Good” priest players post patch.
Reply Quote
Is there a reason not to play snake trap? Since it create 3 beast 1/1s?
Reply Quote
Yes, it only triggers off of minions being attacked. You won’t have many minions on the board.
Reply Quote
OP, Derek, have you changed anything from your deck in first post? I am asking as last time it was updated about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for sharing the deck!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]