The best hunter deck I've seen so far

Oh my God that deck is satisfying. Especially when it looks like you're gonna lose and you just totally annihilate your opponent. He had 20+ health and I had about 13. He had a corehound out along with another minion. I had no minions. This was round 10. Then I finally got UTH, so I added two Buzzards, got SO many more draws because of the low costs creatures, had some alpha wolves out etc and just burst him down out from the blue. Really enjoyed this deck. This was my first match however at a very low league, but still. It was satisfying.
Reply Quote
A few days ago I posted 3 matches I played in a row from my variant of this deck.

Links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXRNEnPwBgU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHiSougREv4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxOyggZ5g-8

I then also posted a game where the opponent made the mistake of leaving my Starving Buzzard in play on the board, and I proceed to completely destroy him with only 1 Health remaining, while he had 24 Health:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoUb8bkRfPc

You can watch them all in 1080p. :) My deck list is in the description for each video.
Edited by animal on 10/10/2013 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Have you guys tried running at least one Explosive Shot, is it worth 5 mana in this kind of deck? On paper seems just fine. For instance instead of 2x Deadly Shot 1x Deadly Shot + 1x Explosive Shot?
Reply Quote
I tried running explosive shots in it, but I found the five mana cost to be extremely prohibitive. Equipping a bow + priming a trap usually works out as a stronger play. if you're playing the deck right, deadly shot is essentially targeted removal; your opponent should never have a threat on board with the amount of removal available. Overall it's been a real solid deck, already up to master one with only a couple losses against heavy aggro/priest shenanigans. Nicely done Derek!
Reply Quote
I just played and lost against someone who was using a Mage deck and actually I was incredibly surprised at how well that deck he used seemed to play. I have a video of the match and I plan to try to re-create the deck from what I saw played. Interestingly enough, it was by far not anywhere near any typical Mage deck I've went up against.

He was running heavy Secrets and a Counterspell Secret countered my Flare! He also made use, quite well I admit, of Ethereal Arcanist that he was able to take advantage of with hiding it behind taunters that he DIDN'T attack me with the taunts he had out (smart dude since he knew I had a secret in play and his taunts were 1/2 so my Explosive Trap would have taken them both out before his Ethereal Arcanist was buffed up high enough). So, he used an Ice Block secret early which doesn't take effect until you take fatal damage. That, combined with Ethereal Arcanist buffed itself up +2/+2 every turn and he was able to keep playing more taunt creatures as the game went on. Ice Block + Ethereal Arcanist is a really nice touch since Ice Block is pretty much guaranteed to be in play at the end of your turn unless you are in a SHTF scenario and are near death....

The person I played against was either very smart to not attack me since he/she knew that my Secret in play COULD have destroyed his two taunt creatures he had out if I had Explosive Trap up (WHICH I DID), or he was dumb and forgot to attack. I think it's obviously the first of the two, however, since he seemed to play the deck very well and now I want to try to build a deck around a similar idea.

I was surprised by the Flare being countered by Counterspell, to say the least! I never thought about it, but do you think it is intentional for Counterspell, a secret, to counter a card that is supposed to destroy secrets? It seems to me, in my opinion, that when there are scenarios with cards that have effects that basically counter each other out, the most RECENTLY played card should have higher priority over a card that was played many turns ago. Just seems like it should be a most recently played card takes priority type of system.
Reply Quote
What do you guys prefer having in your STARTING hand with this kind of Unleash combo decks? Do you favor combo pieces (Dragonhawks, Buzzards, Unleash the Beasts, Owls, Wolves, etc) or do you favor early-mid board answers/damage spells (Kill Command, Deadly Shot, Traps, etc)?
Reply Quote
10/12/2013 06:12 PMPosted by DenDron
What do you guys prefer having in your STARTING hand with this kind of Unleash combo decks? Do you favor combo pieces (Dragonhawks, Buzzards, Unleash the Beasts, Owls, Wolves, etc) or do you favor early-mid board answers/damage spells (Kill Command, Deadly Shot, Traps, etc)?

I'd say starting with the combo is HORRENDOUS, since you can't do anything with it the first turns, and you also got nothing to counter your enemy's actions, so i prefer the 2nd group, a lot.

However, i do not mind starting with a single dragonhawk or buzzard in hand. the best would be starting with a tracking, so i can empty the deck a lot earlier.
Reply Quote
Really enjoying this deck. I did switch out tracking for Snake Traps.. I wanted to see how the synergy between snake trap + starving buzzard would play out. Very nice I must say if you're hurting for card draw and happen to get snake trap and buzzard in your hand early on. 3 snakes, 3 cards. not bad for 4 mana cost.
Reply Quote
10/13/2013 07:00 PMPosted by Thalanteus
Really enjoying this deck. I did switch out tracking for Snake Traps.. I wanted to see how the synergy between snake trap + starving buzzard would play out. Very nice I must say if you're hurting for card draw and happen to get snake trap and buzzard in your hand early on. 3 snakes, 3 cards. not bad for 4 mana cost.

What will happen against any non-moronic entity is that they'd instantly realize that you are dropping a lone buzzard in purpose (aka, snake trap), and proceed to wipe it out with a spell instead (that's instaloss condition for these kind of decks right there)
Reply Quote
I have created a better version of this that makes up for much of the short comings of this deck and creates more early win scenarios....It also increases it deck cycling ability greatly and has been rocking mages, priest, and warriors. And again nothing in it is above 3....

Something any one who is going to play this style of deck needs to consider is the bow is not nearly as effective as you would think. Thanks to the rise of warriors people are keep acid oozes in their deck, many play one early hoping to lure your weapon out. True you have 2 of them in this deck,

Now this deck is still solid people. But if you do not evolve it some to the new meta game your going to see your win rates drop to about 50% or lower...
Reply Quote
I have created a better version of this that makes up for much of the short comings of this deck and creates more early win scenarios....It also increases it deck cycling ability greatly and has been rocking mages, priest, and warriors. And again nothing in it is above 3....

Something any one who is going to play this style of deck needs to consider is the bow is not nearly as effective as you would think. Thanks to the rise of warriors people are keep acid oozes in their deck, many play one early hoping to lure your weapon out. True you have 2 of them in this deck,

Now this deck is still solid people. But if you do not evolve it some to the new meta game your going to see your win rates drop to about 50% or lower...

Honestly i dont mind losing the bow at all, it's just there to do 3 direct damage for 3, if it makes it to the next turn, even better!
Reply Quote

If you're going to say you made a "better version" of the deck, then tell us what you changed. Don't just allude to it and make us take you on your word.

For instance: "I've won 1,000 games in a row, without a single loss, by using the originally posted list." Without proof, why would anyone believe me?

Yes, people run oozes. So what? That certainly doesn't mean the bow is bad. You still get three damage off the turn you play it, and if they're not running oozes (or if they haven't drawn into any yet), you get to keep the bow for future use too. It's certainly better than playing snake trap. As Sharpshooter mentioned above (thank you, Sharp, for your very knowledgeable and intelligent posts thus far), anyone who knows the game, and sees a buzzard in play with one secret still active, will not attack the buzzard. It worked for a while, but as people are wisening up, the combo is continuing to become less effective.
Reply Quote
Exactly, the Snake Trap + Buzzard combo was great while it lasted. I have found that now players are a lot smarter, on average, when they see a Buzzard and a secret in play. Rarely does that combo work any more, sadly...and this is INCREDIBLY true in anything Diamond and up, in my opinion. It was great while it lasted but anyone who has played against someone and saw that pop once or twice now will try to mitigate the combo via anything other than attacking your creature directly.

I'm strongly considering removing Snake Trap from my deck all together. Like I said, was good combo while it lasted but players seemed to have smartened up about that especially at higher ranks. :)
Reply Quote
ive been playing this deck for a wile, but last night it has started to fail me. usualy you lose with this deck only when you get a bad draw, but last night I ran into so many decks that felt like a hard counter to this one.

not sure if its from ppl trying to counter priest late game crap, or if people are making a hard counter to this deck. but still, brutal. they would just get me so low that by the time I combo at turn 7 they would finish me off after that or have heals to keep me from finishing them off....
Reply Quote
ive been playing this deck for a wile, but last night it has started to fail me. usualy you lose with this deck only when you get a bad draw, but last night I ran into so many decks that felt like a hard counter to this one.

not sure if its from ppl trying to counter priest late game crap, or if people are making a hard counter to this deck. but still, brutal. they would just get me so low that by the time I combo at turn 7 they would finish me off after that or have heals to keep me from finishing them off....

Yeah, it's bound to happen eventually. The strength of this deck has always been people not expecting it. Once they get used to it, they start to build against it, and it isn't nearly as strong after that.
Reply Quote
I fought someone using something similar to this deck and decided to look up on how the deck works. Most of the cards Derek uses aren't available to me yet but I was able to make a poor man's version of the deck which runs the basic kill cards (Buzzard, UtH, T-Wolves, Dragonhawks). I can honestly say I've been winning at least 60% more even with this incomplete version and makes me regret scrapping the Misdirection trap I received after the first beta wipe.

2 Arcane Shot
2 Tracking
2 Unleash the Hounds
2 Timberwolves
2 Young Dragonhawk
2 Explosive Traps
2 Snipes
2 Ironbeak Owls
1 Scavenging Hyena
2 Starving Buzzard
1 Eaglehorn Bow
2 Animal Companion
2 Kill Command
2 Multishot
2 Gnomish Inventor

Ever since the wipe, I've had TERRIBLE luck in getting the cards I want or could use to scrap to & build rares needed for the deck but I still manage to win roughly 4 out of 5 games with it. By testing out a watered down version of what Derek posted & seeing how effective it can already be, its hard to find faults for this deck.

I think these are the basic rules when it comes to Derek's deck:

1) Don't play your main creatures until you can kill them in one turn with Unleash the Hounds!
2) 21-23 HP. You can usually kill your opponent with this amount of life in one turn if you play your cards right. Which leads to rule 3.
3) Remember the Big 4 cards. These are UtH, Buzzards, Dragonhawk and Timberwolves. A combination of 2 Dragonhawks, 1 T-wolf, 1 buzzard and 1 UtH is usually enough to kill a guy with 20 HP.
4) Silence (owl) is golden. Those owls will stop Sunwalkers, Shieldmasters, Bootybay Bodyguards and any taunter better than any polymorph, assassinate or direct kill because it can still be buffed up with UtH.
5) Don't underestimate the power of the Eaglehorn bow. Nevermind the fact that people can Acid Ooze it or it only has 2 durability; the fact that this can kill 3 toughness creatures, hit your opponent for 3 damage AND replenish itself with the traps usually makes this the forgotten factor when it comes to winning or losing.
Reply Quote
This deck has "Stampede" written all over it.

Might have to give it a try,

@Derek, you should record a game using this deck and pop it up on ytube and post the link here.
Reply Quote
This deck has "Stampede" written all over it.

Might have to give it a try,

@Derek, you should record a game using this deck and pop it up on ytube and post the link here.

Meh. I'd rather not fiddle with finding and using a recording software. Animal has already been doing just that. You can find several of his links in this thread. I've watched a couple of them. He's a pretty good player, and knows what he's doing with this deck.
Reply Quote
Dear lord, this deck is insanely fun to play! I decided to swap out the Scavenging Hyena for a Dire Wolf Alpha since the added buff has been the "deciding factor" in a lot of close games.

I took the deck to Ranked mode and started from the bottom. I'm currently at 3-star platinum and have only lost once in ranked. The times where I've lost in ranked and unranked usually boil down to terrible card drawing luck (either the UtH, Dragonhawk or Timberwolf was at the bottom and couldn't draw enough cards for the final push). Other than that, it's just so satisfying to look at your hand while you're at single digit HP and knowing that you can still kill the guy with 22 HP in one turn without them even seeing it.

I just honestly wish I could get lucky with my booster packs since I really feel like Deadly Shot would be a much more versatile card over Multishot.

Much thanks to Derek and animal for contributing their deck builds and ideas. As a former M:TG green rush player, I feel like this deck just perfectly suits my style.
Reply Quote
I play a similar style deck but nowhere close to being as effective as I'm new to the beta and don't have all the cards yet.

It's peak effectiveness came in a match last night where I went from a cleared board the turn before (my opponent played that card that returns minions to hand) to doing over lethal damage (he had 21 health left) in one turn.

I felt good lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]