The best hunter deck I've seen so far

is it possible to play a 'budget version' of this deck? the snake traps are sooo expensive X__X
Reply Quote
This deck is absurd. I got my beta key a week and a half ago, and I already got 3-star Master before reset and already at 1-star Master with the deck.

Also interesting to note that I only have one bow, and no flares or misderections yet in the deck... replaced by 2 random beasts cards, 2 Arcane shots (for early control), and 1 of the 3 mana 2/3 creatures that summons a 1/1 Beast.

PS: By the way, I'm really loving the arcane shots to get rid of early pressure. Don't know how good they actually are?
Reply Quote
I've tried this deck. It awesome. Last play against Paladin, he had 21HP, I had 4 and only 2 Ironbeak Owls on board, he had a Sen'jin Shieldmasta. He wrote already well played.
And then I played Starving Buzzard, 2x Timberwolves, 2 Stonetusk Boar, and 2x Unleash the Hounds. :) U can imagine. It was 8th round.
Till now 2 games, 2 wins.
Reply Quote
This deck has "Stampede" written all over it.

Might have to give it a try,

@Derek, you should record a game using this deck and pop it up on ytube and post the link here.

Meh. I'd rather not fiddle with finding and using a recording software. Animal has already been doing just that. You can find several of his links in this thread. I've watched a couple of them. He's a pretty good player, and knows what he's doing with this deck.

Thanks Derek, I appreciate the kind words. I still don't consider myself a "good" player yet, as there's still so much to learn about all of the other classes since I've focused so much on specific ones and have neglected a certain few. Once I learn the ins and outs of all of the classes, that will make me play a lot better regardless of what class I am playing AS, since I'll know what to POSSIBLY except from any enemy hero I am matched up against.

By the way, thanks again for originally posting this topic in the first place. Have had loads of fun with it. :)

I still have lots of videos I need to go through and potentially upload. Like I have said previously, I record every game I play so I can go back and rewatch games I lose to see what I could have done differently. The only problem is that this hunter deck seems to get me so high of a win percentage that I end up having VERY few losses to actually rewatch, lol.

I uploaded two more videos earlier this morning that I found laying around. Nothing truly special, but still may be fun to watch. The first one is a video of me getting a turn 5 win and taking the opponent from 30 to 0 health on turn 5. The second video, I never actually draw Unleash the Hounds (even though I desperately tried and kept summoning beasts with a Buzzard in play), yet I end up winning with 1 health remaining with a GREAT misdirection. You have to watch that one to see... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8LXj_VFCn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc2X6xLBV3o
Reply Quote
10/16/2013 02:12 AMPosted by Donzyy
Much thanks to Derek and animal for contributing their deck builds and ideas. As a former M:TG green rush player, I feel like this deck just perfectly suits my style.

Sure! No problem at all! I love to help out ANYWHERE I can. I hope some people have managed to watch some of the vids I have posted to get a better idea of how variants of this deck can play out.

It's amazing that there's so many different cards that can be used with this deck, and so many people run different versions of it. Yet, they all seem to work, as everyone has his or her own play style and preferences. As long as it has Unleash the Hounds in it, the same idea holds. :)
Reply Quote
Also, forgot to mention this in my other two posts. Sadly, I have a really bad feeling that they are going to end up nerfing unleash the hounds in the near future. They will probably increase the mana cost to 3 or maybe remove the +1 to all.

So many people are complaining about it, not only on this Hunter forum, but everywhere else too.

While the recent nerf to the battle rage card of warriors allowed people to regain their dust if they crafted it, a nerf to Unleash the Hounds would literally make some people out of an ENTIRE DECK worth of crafted cards, as the deck idea is built around that single card, basically. They would have to find a way to let people get back their dust for all the other cards in their deck that they crafted SPECIFICALLY with Unleash the Hounds in mind.

I think either way, people are going to complain about this for a long time.

:(
Reply Quote
Thank you so much! This deck shot me straight up to master 3 star. ^.^
Reply Quote
10/17/2013 10:42 AMPosted by Sigh
is it possible to play a 'budget version' of this deck? the snake traps are sooo expensive X__X

This is actually one of the cheapest good decks out there to make, as it only requires 6-8 rares and no epics or legendaries.

Don't run Snake Trap. People have become too familiar with the game, and will just kill your Buzzard with direct damage rather than attacking it. The Snake Trap ends up becoming a dead card in your deck, and the Buzzard dies before you can use it. Try Novice Engineer or Coldlight Oracle instead.
Reply Quote
This deck is absurd. I got my beta key a week and a half ago, and I already got 3-star Master before reset and already at 1-star Master with the deck.

Also interesting to note that I only have one bow, and no flares or misderections yet in the deck... replaced by 2 random beasts cards, 2 Arcane shots (for early control), and 1 of the 3 mana 2/3 creatures that summons a 1/1 Beast.

PS: By the way, I'm really loving the arcane shots to get rid of early pressure. Don't know how good they actually are?

Usually I figure if they only have 2 life, I can wait, let them hit me a little, then play an Explosive Trap and kill multiple minions with only one card. More conservationist, which pays off in late game.
Reply Quote
10/19/2013 02:35 PMPosted by Derek
Usually I figure if they only have 2 life, I can wait, let them hit me a little, then play an Explosive Trap and kill multiple minions with only one card. More conservationist, which pays off in late game.

Specially if you get to keep the bow another turn :D

Yo Derek! I guess by now you can already see the Unleash the Hounds nerf incomming (I won't agree with Blizzard's moves, but they are there to please the masses, unlike other VERY fixed Cardgames)

How do you feel about moving the charge component to Bestial Wrath (Maybe adding a Windfury to it, and upping the cost?).

It would completely destroy stampede combos, but it would be a nice incentive to play ol' classic hunter again.
Reply Quote
10/19/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Sharpshooter

Specially if you get to keep the bow another turn :D

Yo Derek! I guess by now you can already see the Unleash the Hounds nerf incomming (I won't agree with Blizzard's moves, but they are there to please the masses, unlike other VERY fixed Cardgames)

How do you feel about moving the charge component to Bestial Wrath (Maybe adding a Windfury to it, and upping the cost?).

It would completely destroy stampede combos, but it would be a nice incentive to play ol' classic hunter again.

Boy, I'm not sure. I think if anything, they should just up the cost of Unleash by to a 2-cost card. It should still work (although one turn later) for Unleash decks. Any higher, and it will be a completely useless card.

On the other hand, they seriously need to do something to improve Hunter's play overall. There's only one viable Hunter deck out there. Any class with only one viable deck is a poorly designed deck, in my opinion.
Reply Quote
Boy, I'm not sure. I think if anything, they should just up the cost of Unleash by to a 2-cost card. It should still work (although one turn later) for Unleash decks. Any higher, and it will be a completely useless card.

On the other hand, they seriously need to do something to improve Hunter's play overall. There's only one viable Hunter deck out there. Any class with only one viable deck is a poorly designed deck, in my opinion.

100% agreed

That'd be a reasonable fix, i mean, it would delay your combo a turn but if you manage to survive yet another turn, the reward is the same.

I also agree that hunters need a rework all around, just throwing minions at the enemy won't cut it in this particular game.
Reply Quote
I've tried this deck out while missing a couple cards, just went up against a Mage and won. This deck makes me skittish, I won on turn 8 after going off on turn 7 but not having enough mana to drop my threats and drawing into secrets and Kill Commands instead of my Timberwolves.

I've been watching animal's videos and the amount of low-life victories seems to be common. I don't have Misdirects or Flares, working on it but it's going to take time. I love how the deck plays though.

Edit: Missing the Owls and the Misdirects is killing me. Ugh.
Edited by Macheya on 10/20/2013 6:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've tried this deck out while missing a couple cards, just went up against a Mage and won. This deck makes me skittish, I won on turn 8 after going off on turn 7 but not having enough mana to drop my threats and drawing into secrets and Kill Commands instead of my Timberwolves.

I've been watching animal's videos and the amount of low-life victories seems to be common. I don't have Misdirects or Flares, working on it but it's going to take time. I love how the deck plays though.

Edit: Missing the Owls and the Misdirects is killing me. Ugh.

I'm actually still playing around with my card list for the deck. Made some changes yesterday to remove a single Snake Trap, since at high rankings everyone pretty much knows the combo now of Snake Trap + Starving Buzzard. I also swapped out a few other cards.

I have a video of 4 games played in a row from a few days ago. I win the first two games and then lose the second two. The issue with the two losses were the same and consisted of two problems:
1) Taunt heavy decks the opponent is running
2) Inability to draw an Unleash the Hounds due to just pure bad luck

I think watching the games where I lose actually is more beneficial and a learning experience moreso than games where I win, especially for people who already know the strategy behind the deck.

Anyone want me to prepare and upload that video? If anyone would find it useful I'll get it uploaded, plus someone may be able to offer me tips as to how I could have played better or how to improve my deck.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure Unleash the Hounds nerf will be coming of some type in the future, unfortunately, especially as more people use this deck and others complain about it on not just the Hunter forum here, but in the general closed beta discussion, too.

I see a huge problem with any nerf...this deck relies entirely upon Unleash the Hounds to effectively work. Many people crafted not only two of those, but ALSO many other cards that synergistically mesh perfectly with Unleash the Hounds and are required for the deck to work.

With the Battle Rage nerf and the refund they gave for those who wish to disenchant it, it only gives a full refund for that specific card. If they nerf Unleash the Hounds, lots of people may feel screwed over if they crafted a ton of other cards SPECIFICALLY for this deck, but they won't be able to disenchant the other cards besides Unleash the Hounds for the full refund.
Reply Quote
So I've used the deck from the OP maybe 5 times. Its not my preferred play style of the hunter deck. Here's a couple videos of me playing the deck. The first one didn't really work out as planned and the second one had a rage quit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7DKcJVS9i8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn-2_mr7ObY&feature=youtu.be

Apologies for the mouth breathing, my microphone isn't really meant for recordings and secondly for forgetting the name of my cards. Example: Owl=Buzzard

Hope it serves as an example of the deck
Reply Quote
So ive tried this deck 5 games 5 losses. Im masters and win 75% on warrior/mage as mains. I understand the concepts.

People are countering this deck so hard. I literally refuse to believe you win 46 out of 50 games. The deck is too RNG based. You cant clear as fast as people can put stuff down. You take damage far too readily and if you use your bow to board clear you further damage yourself.

Once stormwing champions get on the board or high health minions its gg.

This deck is all about trying to save up desperately for a combo which relies too much on chance. Last game im at turn out with no unleash the hounds. How do you win in that situation? you simply cant.
Reply Quote
Looks interesting. I've already made lists of decks I want to try when I finally get my key. This will be one of them.
Reply Quote
I think watching the games where I lose actually is more beneficial and a learning experience moreso than games where I win, especially for people who already know the strategy behind the deck.

Anyone want me to prepare and upload that video? If anyone would find it useful I'll get it uploaded, plus someone may be able to offer me tips as to how I could have played better or how to improve my deck.

Sure, I'd love to see more videos of UtH in action. I've watched all of your linked videos so far to see what the deck is like in more skilled hands, and it's a lot of fun even with my budget version. I'm just missing Flare, Misdirect, Young Dragonhawk and the Owls, and I've also run into just not drawing into the Unleashes or the Buzzards.
Reply Quote
So ive tried this deck 5 games 5 losses. Im masters and win 75% on warrior/mage as mains. I understand the concepts.

People are countering this deck so hard. I literally refuse to believe you win 46 out of 50 games. The deck is too RNG based. You cant clear as fast as people can put stuff down. You take damage far too readily and if you use your bow to board clear you further damage yourself.

Once stormwing champions get on the board or high health minions its gg.

This deck is all about trying to save up desperately for a combo which relies too much on chance. Last game im at turn out with no unleash the hounds. How do you win in that situation? you simply cant.

I don't know what to say...you're not playing it right. Read through this thread fully. There are a ton of people having success with this deck, and a ton of others complaining about how good it is. If you can't figure out the right mechanics to play it, then that's nothing against you. Everyone has a different play style. There are really good decks out there that I can't play at all. Just move on to something else.
Reply Quote

Sure, I'd love to see more videos of UtH in action. I've watched all of your linked videos so far to see what the deck is like in more skilled hands, and it's a lot of fun even with my budget version. I'm just missing Flare, Misdirect, Young Dragonhawk and the Owls, and I've also run into just not drawing into the Unleashes or the Buzzards.

Whoa. Don't play this deck if you don't have owls or dragonhawks. Seriously. It won't work. The entire concept of the deck is playing timberwolves, dragonhawks, and unleash the hounds together. If you don't have dragonhawks, your damage output will be pathetic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]