The best hunter deck I've seen so far

Sure, I'd love to see more videos of UtH in action. I've watched all of your linked videos so far to see what the deck is like in more skilled hands, and it's a lot of fun even with my budget version. I'm just missing Flare, Misdirect, Young Dragonhawk and the Owls, and I've also run into just not drawing into the Unleashes or the Buzzards.

Whoa. Don't play this deck if you don't have owls or dragonhawks. Seriously. It won't work. The entire concept of the deck is playing timberwolves, dragonhawks, and unleash the hounds together. If you don't have dragonhawks, your damage output will be pathetic.

Well, I've won a few games, I'm up to One Star Silver in ranked play. The biggest problem so far isn't so much not having the damage output, but not drawing into UtH, Buzzards or Timberwolves. I just crafted a couple Owls, so that front is clear but I'm not that good at Arena so getting dust is kind of a pain.
Reply Quote
so cheezy like zergling rushes in starcraft.
Reply Quote
unleash hounds x 2
timber wolves x 2
dragonhawk x 2

on turn 6 = 28 damage

turn 6 you have 9 or 10 cards out of 30... do the math, the odds you get all those cards even with sample size of 10 are miniscule: 0.00035366

reduce that to only needing 5 cards, you only do 22 damage
But the odds become 0.00848806366047745

so with this deck you will get a 22 point combo on the 6th turn when you go second 1% of the time.

That goes up to barely over 1% of the time on the 8th turn.

Of course when you get them, its a huge chance to be a win and you'll "notice it" more.

Now, consider that on turns 1-5 you should be dropping beasts... etc...
Edited by frotty on 10/26/2013 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/31/2013 03:01 AMPosted by Derek
What turn do you normally "go off" on? And I feel like Dire Wolf Alpha would be better than Stone Tusk Boar since UTH already gives Charge. Is the 1 mana that crucial?

It's usually around turn 8. Sometimes 7, sometimes 9. It has to do with whether or not you've managed to draw the cards you need yet, how much life your opponent still has, and what they have on the board.

I'd say the one mana makes a pretty large difference. If I can play two boars in one turn, that's an extra four or five damage, compared to the three you get from dire wolves (2 vs. 1 attack, plus buffing neighbors). It's also convenient for card draw with buzzards. Finally, I'll occasionally use them earlier in the game, before the final combo goes off, just to rush in and kill off a minion with 1 health left or to buff an important kill command.

I've played TCGs most of my life, and I've never played one where one turn was so frequently the difference between killing your opponent and them killing you, as often seems to be the case in Hearthstone. With that in mind, I always want to keep everything as cheap as possible for the overall effect. If I can do with 1 mana what I could otherwise do with 2, I'll take the 1 mana route every time.

You haven't played Vintage MTG then where turn 1 wins can be pulled off consistently.

And even yet those decks were more balanced than Hunter in hearthstone, because people could actually answer your threats during your turn. I can see why blizzard didn't want to add instant spells (eg: can be played during the opponent's turn) to this game, but that makes some decks perform better than they should and turns the game into a "solitaire" where people just waits to gather in hand the perfect combo and crush you in one turn.
Reply Quote
Maybe opponents @ US servers are just weaker, but this deck does not work in Master league+, unless you get a lot of lucky draws.
Edited by LuLu on 10/27/2013 7:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/27/2013 07:34 AMPosted by LuLu
Maybe opponents @ US servers are just weaker, but this deck does not work in Master league+, unless you get a lot of lucky draws.

The deck is like that all the time. If you don't draw your early control or your late combo pieces, you're probably going to lose. I was overrun earlier today because I didn't draw my Explosive Trap against a Murlock Warlock deck, and I've lost before because I didn't draw into my Unleashes or Buzzards.

Really, the deck is a combo deck and it can be beat, people just need to learn how. Priest and Mage are much more infuriating.
Reply Quote
10/27/2013 03:06 AMPosted by Unixtreme

It's usually around turn 8. Sometimes 7, sometimes 9. It has to do with whether or not you've managed to draw the cards you need yet, how much life your opponent still has, and what they have on the board.

I'd say the one mana makes a pretty large difference. If I can play two boars in one turn, that's an extra four or five damage, compared to the three you get from dire wolves (2 vs. 1 attack, plus buffing neighbors). It's also convenient for card draw with buzzards. Finally, I'll occasionally use them earlier in the game, before the final combo goes off, just to rush in and kill off a minion with 1 health left or to buff an important kill command.

I've played TCGs most of my life, and I've never played one where one turn was so frequently the difference between killing your opponent and them killing you, as often seems to be the case in Hearthstone. With that in mind, I always want to keep everything as cheap as possible for the overall effect. If I can do with 1 mana what I could otherwise do with 2, I'll take the 1 mana route every time.

You haven't played Vintage MTG then where turn 1 wins can be pulled off consistently.

And even yet those decks were more balanced than Hunter in hearthstone, because people could actually answer your threats during your turn. I can see why blizzard didn't want to add instant spells (eg: can be played during the opponent's turn) to this game, but that makes some decks perform better than they should and turns the game into a "solitaire" where people just waits to gather in hand the perfect combo and crush you in one turn.

Sigh. Read through the full thread before posting. The post you replied to is ancient, and everything you said in your post has since been said and countered by a score of newer posts.
Reply Quote
10/27/2013 07:34 AMPosted by LuLu
Maybe opponents @ US servers are just weaker

Classic.
Reply Quote
Hey Derek, it was me who fought against you. I still have to say that my deck is a bit different than yours, for example I run Bestial Wrath.

Maybe you wanna add me in Hearthstone? :P
Reply Quote
can the op make some videos playing that deck, i don't think this deck is good against better than average opponents.I still don't have all the required cards maybe that is the reason i suck :(.I am very curios what starting cards we must keep or discard and what is our strategy against the different classes i need some hints i like this deck but simply it will work very good or very poor.OP PLEASE GIVE US SOME HINTS AND VIDEOS! Sorry about my bad english i am still trying to make this thing work but they are %!#*@!%%%* me :( GL to all UNLEASH THE HOUNDS deck players !
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 05:20 PMPosted by JurassicPark
can the op make some videos playing that deck, i don't think this deck is good against better than average opponents.I still don't have all the required cards maybe that is the reason i suck :(.I am very curios what starting cards we must keep or discard and what is our strategy against the different classes i need some hints i like this deck but simply it will work very good or very poor.OP PLEASE GIVE US SOME HINTS AND VIDEOS! Sorry about my bad english i am still trying to make this thing work but they are %!#*@!%%%* me :( GL to all UNLEASH THE HOUNDS deck players !

I just don't want to bother with installing and using screen-capture software. Look for Animal in this thread. He has some great videos of how to use this deck.
Reply Quote
eeek imo awful deck.
Reply Quote
10/29/2013 07:25 PMPosted by MacThumbz
eeek imo awful deck.

Super insightful post dude. I loved the part where you detailed why the deck is bad.
Reply Quote
and I've lost before because I didn't draw into my Unleashes or Buzzards.

Curious to know how you use your buzzards. I only really use them as opening drops on the combo if I'm missing some of the cards in the hope I draw them before running out of mana. So that means they are really only useful if I don't have an UTH (TW, DH, Owl, etc) in hand by turn 8ish.

Do you (or anyone) use them differently? I can see playing one and something like a boar on the same turn from some earlier card draw but they tend to die fast if you drop them early which limits their effectiveness.

I don't really feel they are critical to the combo but maybe I undervalue them? In the long run if you don't need the card draw to play the combo it's really just playing 1 extra mana for 1 more dmg.
Edited by Voros on 10/29/2013 9:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
well the way i see the buzzard is if your combo isn't gonna finish the guy, it gives you a bunch of cards to do another run the next turn, saved me a couple times
Reply Quote
Wow, thanks for mentioning this deck Derek. I have been using it and winning the vast majority of my matches. It's particularly satisfying to play against people who love to threaten from the start. ;) It also must be infuriating to those who have you down to 1-10 health and then you lay the smack down on them with 20+ points in one turn and there's nothing they can do!

Of the few matches I've lost I believe I could've won them if I'd changed out my starting cards. At the beginning, I was holding onto cards like Unleash the Hounds and Timber Wolf or Dragonhawk. So if my opponent started with early aggro, I was screwed if I didn't draw control cards.

Now I've pretty much been changing out any card at all that isn't a control card in the beginning (unless I go second and I have 3 control cards and one UtH/TW/DH in which case I'll keep one of those). Since I've begun doing this, I barely ever lose. I almost feel bad for the other opponent (not that I do, but almost!)

I was curious as to your thoughts on which cards to mulligan and what ranking you generally assign to your cards on the opening draw. If you see this post and have the time, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again for mentioning this deck and the strategy!
Reply Quote
After playing this deck for the afternoon, i gotta say, it took me a few fights to learn when to use what and how to best combo, but i'm winning a large majority of my matches now, thanks for the deck sir, it's a very satisfying deck to win with too, loving those 1-turn 20+ damage smackdowns when my opponent thinks he beat me
Reply Quote
I see a huge problem with any nerf...this deck relies entirely upon Unleash the Hounds to effectively work. Many people crafted not only two of those, but ALSO many other cards that synergistically mesh perfectly with Unleash the Hounds and are required for the deck to work.

With the Battle Rage nerf and the refund they gave for those who wish to disenchant it, it only gives a full refund for that specific card. If they nerf Unleash the Hounds, lots of people may feel screwed over if they crafted a ton of other cards SPECIFICALLY for this deck, but they won't be able to disenchant the other cards besides Unleash the Hounds for the full refund.

It's beta test. That's the risk you take playing in what you ought to know is an unstable, unfinished game. There is absolutely no reason for Blizzard not to adjust cards as they see fit just because some people worked to build decks around cards Blizzard later judged to be overpowered. It's not like people didn't spend tons of dust crafting cards for Miracle Rogue or for Warrior decks using Battle Rage.

At least UTH decks are relatively inexpensive to build. The deck just doesn't have a lot of expensive cards it needs.

Even after the game goes live, Blizzard will be adjusting cards that are shown to be overpowered in actual play, even if the beta testing missed them. That is a fairly common feature of even physical CCG's - the errata lists for Magic are enormous for exactly this reason.
Reply Quote
Adding The Beast to this deck is great - won plenty of games with him now. The Beast + UTH + Timberwolf is a 3 card, 8 cost, 11 dmg combo as a backup for if you don't have the dragonhawks, etc.
Reply Quote
Adding The Beast to this deck is great - won plenty of games with him now. The Beast + UTH + Timberwolf is a 3 card, 8 cost, 11 dmg combo as a backup for if you don't have the dragonhawks, etc.

If you don't have the dragonhawks at that point you already pretty much lost, and / or made terrible choices with your trackings lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]