Budget Beast Beatdown - Masters Hunter Deck

I did a small write up on a budget Hunter deck I built. The deck only uses two rares and honestly, could run without them if needed.

Take a look at the deck and write up at: http://www.swingforthirty.com/2013/08/budget-beast-beatdown-hunter-deck/.

The deck list is below:

Budget Beast Beatdown

2x Arcane Shot
2x Tracking
2x Stonetusk Boar
2x Timber Wolf
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Scavenging Hyena
2x Starving Buzzard
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Ironfur Grizzly
2x Raid Leader
2x Houndmaster
1x Stranglethorn Tiger
2x Tundra Rhino
2x Savannah Highmane
1x Stormwind Champion
Reply Quote
I'll +1 this deck! I have a few changes as I'm missing some of the cards to match this, but a very very similar build.

2x Arcane Shot
2x Timberwolf
2x Stonetusk Boar (great for 1st round cast and is a beast so added bonuses from others mid game)
1x Young Dragonhawk (another 1st round cast beast, but has windfury for mid game bonuses)
2x Bloodfen Raptor
2x Dire Wolf
2x Ironbeak Owl
1x Scavenging Hyena (would have 2 if I had another)
2x Starving Buzzard
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Ironfur Grizzly
2x Multishot (I really like these if I feel like I start to get flooded... really good prevention against enemy minions)
2x Houndmaster
1x Explosive Shot (falls in line with multishot)
2x Tundra Rhino
2x Core Hound (mostly because I don't have any Savannah Highmane. Those are sick)
Reply Quote
I somehow completely missed that Young Dragonhawk is a beast. I'll definitely be adding two, possibly replacing Tracking.
Reply Quote
I tried this deck last night. Extremely effective and I really like it. The only change I've made is that I'm running Hogger instead of a second Savannah Highmane because I don't have the dust to afford a second one. However, Hogger's ability to spawn a 2/2 with taunt every turn has been awesome and really effective at protecting my important minions when I'm unable to get another taunt on the field. The challenge just lies in hoping that the opponent doesn't have a Fireball, or Backstab, or Execute to take out Hogger.

I know Hogger isn't exactly "budget beast" but I got him in a lucky booster pack. :P
Edited by Ganrokh on 8/30/2013 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I use a similar deck construck with the Highmanes.

Couple things you may want to play around with when you get them....

explosive trap. In many ways way more effective then arcane shot. Against a Shammy its a god send

Snake trap. If your going to use buzzards and Hyena's then this is your best friend.

Alpha wolf. Same cost as raid leader but for beast and is a beast thus your synergy works with it...

Deadly shot...Its they only creature removal spell hunters get and it is a little random so try to clear the trash before using it on your big nasty....

All these cards, with exception of the snake trap are common thus easy to craft.
Reply Quote
This deck is awsome. it has low cost, big synergy, almost none random plays. its extrymly fast. i play with more removal, is good against sukkubs end early combos. i use hunters weapon, but i dont know if change it for some traps. they are good, explosing one especialy imho.
Reply Quote
Really love this deck. For such an easy deck to build it's INCREDIBLY effective and fun!
Reply Quote
I made a very similar deck to Revzenpoes (second post above) last night after losing a bunch of matches while experimenting with a new Charge-based Warrior deck. I gave up on that strategy and said "Screw it, I wanna go to my old mtg days and do a theme deck"; the first thing I saw was a Beast and then I saw the hunter's Houndmaster minion with the additional +2/+2 pump and taunt to friendly Beast which absolutely owns so I could not resist making this deck at that point as I knew that it would help me win some matches after all those losses out of my stupid Charge strategy (which worked for early-game but always lost momentum after turn 5-7).

Alas, this hunter deck is truly a beast, I lost my first match against a Shaman, however then went 9-11 wins in a row (ranked constructed) against 2 Priests, 2 Mages, a Hunter and I believe a Warrior (+ a few others I forget). Then I lost to a Warlock at the end and won one last game to a fellow Hunter with a similar-but-a-bit-off build. It seems to be most vulnerable to spell-based decks or creature kill/control, however for some reason it still hold it's weight against Rogues to my knowledge. If you play efficiently in terms of trade-offs it's very easy to pick the correct play with this deck due to the straight-forward simple style however my strategy is to pound away at the opponent's minions to leave him open to large (pumped up) attacks and with nothing left to hit you with next turn. Also in this deck I sometimes find uses in "saving" cards to be played at the correct time as opposed to playing all of my mana possible each turn. Using that strat along with the Buzzards is all you will need for card draw, and as for Taunt you have the Houndmaster's battlecry.

Card-wise:
I like it due to the awesome neutral beasts that you can swap out to always keep the deck feeling fresh. I really like 2x Stampeding Kodo in this deck as it adds some minion kill (good for opponents high-health or taunt-based minions) and also it is a great candidate for the boost from Houndmaster in mid-to-late game for a really good Taunt that still has attack (most likely it will attack at least once or twice after getting the taunt+2/2 boost in my experience). Also in my deck I do not have the 1 cost boars instead I focus on mid-game as I think it is more important for this deck and so I go with 2x Ironfur Grizzly instead. Also I love 1-2x Stranglethorn Tiger in this deck as it is the only time I have successfully implemented Stealth into my deck in a useful way thus far. I also do not use the 2x Bloodfen Raptor or the 2x Ironbeak Owl and instead go for 2x River Crocolisc (more health than the raptor which I think it more important in early to early-mid game) and Silverback Patriarch (I value taunt over silence for this deck). Also like you (for now) I have core hound but it will be replaced with something else once I get better cards like Savannah Highmane or anything with high health/attack/cost.

I'd love to hear some suggestions on this, any thoughts on what can be changed (am I on track neutral-wise you think?)
Edited by giygas73 on 11/4/2013 1:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
This deck is crap like hell.
Reply Quote
I did a small write up on a budget Hunter deck I built. The deck only uses two rares and honestly, could run without them if needed.

Take a look at the deck and write up at: http://www.swingforthirty.com/2013/08/budget-beast-beatdown-hunter-deck/.

The deck list is below:

Budget Beast Beatdown

2x Arcane Shot
2x Tracking
2x Stonetusk Boar
2x Timber Wolf
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Scavenging Hyena
2x Starving Buzzard
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Ironfur Grizzly
2x Raid Leader
2x Houndmaster
1x Stranglethorn Tiger
2x Tundra Rhino
2x Savannah Highmane
1x Stormwind Champion

Made this to complete my 2 wins with Hunter daily. After going 2-1 I made a few changes because I really like the deck and want to keep it around.

The first thing I did was take out Raid Leaders for Shattered Sun Clerics. Overall I just believe it to be a better card. It's a 3/3 for 3 so it's better on it's own than Raid Leader. Usually will let you trade up without losing your creature. and it's effect is "dead" in all the same situations that Raid Leaders usually is. (I did this change when I built it).

I increased the rare count by 1. I ended up taking out one copy of Stormwind Champion and 1 Savanna Highmane for 2 copies of Argent Commander. Argent Commander is way to good in aggressive decks to pass up imho and is worth crafting as it usually nets value the moment you play it. While in two games I had a Highmane get Silence be for the Deathrattle.

The game I lost was to Murloc Warlock. I ended up drawing both Arcane Shots that game and could have won easily if one of them had been Explosive Trap. So I made that change.

Lastly I don't like tracking in non UtH combo. It good in limited situations when you're already behind. Otherwise it's purely "Win-More". But at the same time I think not having access to the combo is even worse even if you're aggro focused. So I dropped both copies of tracking in favor of a Young Drangonhawk and a Unleash the Hounds.

So after all that my deck currently looks like this:

[1] Arcane Shot
[1] Unleash the Hounds
[2] Stonetusk Boar
[2] Timber Wolf
[1] Young Dragonhawk
[1] Explosive Trap
[2] Ironbeak Owl
[2] Scavenging Hyena
[2] Starving Buzzard
[2] Animal Companion
[2] Kill Command
[2] Ironfur Grizzly
[2] Shattered Sun Cleric
[2] Houndmaster
[1] Strnglethorn Tiger
[2] Tundra Rhino
[2] Argent Commander
[1] Savannah Higmane

I'm going to test with this build for a while and see what else I can do with it. I have a few more cards I'd like to fit in but not sure what to take out for them yet.

Already took out UtH for another Explosive Trap. This decks needs more removal.
Edited by Brhino on 11/13/2013 5:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
1x Deadly Shot
2x Hunter's Mark
2x Arcane Shot
2x Tracking
2x Snake Trap
2x Timber Wolf
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Scavenging Hyena
2x Starving Buzzard
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Ironfur Grizzly
2x Explosive Shot
2x Houndmaster
2x Savannah Highmane
1x King Krush

This is currently my deck. I have an 85% win ratio atm with it. If anyone can improve on it, please feel free to provide feedback/criticisms.
Reply Quote
Highmanes with Rhinos are sick.
Reply Quote
1x Deadly Shot
2x Hunter's Mark
2x Arcane Shot
2x Tracking
2x Snake Trap
2x Timber Wolf
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Scavenging Hyena
2x Starving Buzzard
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Ironfur Grizzly
2x Explosive Shot
2x Houndmaster
2x Savannah Highmane
1x King Krush

This is currently my deck. I have an 85% win ratio atm with it. If anyone can improve on it, please feel free to provide feedback/criticisms.

I'd suggest dropping grizzly, animal companion serves it's purpose with miesha (albeit need RNG luck at times, but all 3 companions seem a better for the drop- Yes I know you already have 2 companions)

I think The Beast would be a welcome addition to your deck, along with beastial wrath. If you can use beatial wrath on KK or anything big, if you don't have the beast even corehond with BW is nasty if you have a rhino out. for the big damage I think stuff like corehound and The beast are slightly better options than highmane if you can keep rhino alive, and they work with beastial wrath which is an awesome way to gain damage and give a better shot of surviving (could force mage to run polymorph.

turn 7 you can swing for 11 damage if you have rhino out, and drop corehound or the beast with beastial wrath, and they are immune so even if there is a worthy minion across from you it is killable and you force them to deal with the beast the next turn (turn 8 is pyro) so if you can just stay above 10 health before turn 8 you can win a lot of games. This has given an option to take out the spell mages, and granted Mage is still insanely strong (one might say OP) this at least gives hunters a slight chance... but really there ain't !@#$ you can do if they draw into enough fireballs, ice spells, and a pyro pre turn 8
Reply Quote
This build is ridiculous. I don't have the savannah highmane or houndmaster yet but I'm still *#!#@@#!@# face.

At first I was having trouble getting beasts to stay alive on the board, but I noticed it was because I was sending them at 1 by 1 at the start and they were getting picked off. They never had a chance to buff each other.

I've been experimenting with not playing any beasts until I absolutely have to in order to win/stay alive, and by that point I have a large force in my hand that will syngerize off of each other like crazy and stomp everything. I don't think most people suspect it. They probably think I'm just some dumb retard only playing steady shot and a few crowd control cards, then suddenly they have a stampede of buffed beasts eating their faces.
Reply Quote
08/29/2013 04:59 AMPosted by Rizzo
Scavenging Hyena
Reply Quote
12/11/2013 06:14 AMPosted by Ricjandro
1x Deadly Shot
2x Hunter's Mark
2x Arcane Shot
2x Tracking
2x Snake Trap
2x Timber Wolf
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Scavenging Hyena
2x Starving Buzzard
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Ironfur Grizzly
2x Explosive Shot
2x Houndmaster
2x Savannah Highmane
1x King Krush

Could the Grizzly be dropped for the 5/5 Tiger or would that mess up your mana curve too much?
I find your deck very interesting, it never occurred to me to drop the Tundra Rhino, and running owls make sense as taunts are annoying.
Reply Quote
People Check Dates good grief
Reply Quote
I've been trying this deck for 5ish games... lost all of them. It seems REALLY outdated.
If I play monsters at the beginning i have nothing left to feed my hyena, and if i wait well i get destroyed before i can do anything
Reply Quote
I am using something similar that is a blast to play:

2X Hungry Crab
2X Stonetusk Boar
2X Timber Wolf
2X Bloodfen Raptor
2X Dire Wolf Alpha
2X Ironbeak Owl
2X River Crocolisk
2X Scavenging Hyena
2X Starving Buzzard
2X Ironfur Grizzly
2X Houndmaster
2X Oasis Snapjaw
2X Stampeding Kodo
2X Tundra Rhino
1X The Beast
1X King Krush

King Krush and The Beast I picked up while playing Arenas. I suppose you do not need them to win, but Krush's ability to charge is a plus. The Beast I only play if I have a Rhino on the field, as I find that most opponents do not realize how strong the Rhino is.

Since it is nearly all beasts, the synergy is obvious. There is a multitude of combos available. This deck rules against Mages, Warriors, Warlocks and Rogues. It does okay against Paladins, Priests and Druids. And I rarely win against Shamans.

I love playing out the Hungry Crab against a Warlock's Murc deck and watch him squirm. It really is a good beginning card even if there are no Murlocs on the board. Key to this deck to to not play the 1 health minions early. (Timber Wolf, Buzzard, Owl) Use the tougher ones in the early rounds so you can combo these later on. With 28 beasts in the deck, losing a few to a board wipe is no big deal. You have plenty to choose from. In most cases the game is won before turn 7. In the times that I have lost, it was when I was unlucky and my opponent was lucky. You cannot control those situations.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]