Control/Bully 3* Masters Shaman Deck

Hey all,

Wanted to share my current Shaman deck and thoughts on card choices and maybe a little strategy. I started playing arena, spent 8.00, then constructed this with dust and rewards. Then I went into Constructed, went 15-0, upon winning and loosing a couple times vrs the current cheese rogue decks, who all went second and cheesed. The deck is now 36-8 (85% win) and rank 3 master, loosing 3 times to rogue spell or rush (they drew their combo's very early and won) hand draw decks, 2x a heal paladin divine shielding, blood knight dropping deck, a mega legenedary druid going 1-1 with him, a hunter deck that seemed laughable and still dont know how I lost, and a cool priest deck.

2 Chillwind Yeti
2 Fire Elemental
2 Earth Elemental
2 Lava Burst
2 Feral Spirit
2 Lightning Bolt
1 Ironfur Grizzly
2 Sen'jin Shieldmasta'
2 Lightning Storm
2 Hex
2 Loot Hoarder
2 Ironbeak Owl
2 Dalaran Mage
1 Azure Drake
2 Unbound Elemental
2 Acidic Swamp Ooze

Its really a simple deck with its power in knowing how to use it with the hand you got. Some of you may be looking at a few of the cards and be wondering why Yeti. I had a hard time using him even after convincing myself the reason I put him in there, because well.....he's just a 4/5 Yeti, right?

So why these cards, well I started playing on Cockatrice, and very quickly found out that 2/2 2/3 minions generally just bite the dust real fast. I also realized that generally almost any 4-6 drop just gets removed with a hard counter or cards that do 4!!! damage and then a small minion attack. So I knew I wanted almost everything relevant to be 4 health or higher. I also like decks that are multi faceted and can control or be aggressive.

Card Explanation:

1. Yeti 4/5 for 4 crystals. Thats right 4/....5! I've found this often means him on turn 3/4 means the opponent usually has to 2v1 to fully get rid of him, so I get card advantage in a round about way. Or he can't remove him with backstab, Swipe, Buffed Frost Bolt, a 2/1 and consecrate/priest aoe, buffed wrath, and more I can't recall. Also if they use a hard counter, it means all my big's are much safer and putting that much more pressure on him. He's beast.....

2. Fire Elemental, 6/5 does 3 damage on summon. He's great, can reach for that extra 3 to win, remove that taunter on placement so your minions can roll through for some damage. He's multi dimensional, learn to use him.

3. Earth Elemental, the sucks to be your enemy card. 5 drop 7/8 Taunter........AAAAAAAHHHH wtf sauce. This guy is just a bully and perhaps OP. In a round about way he's card advantage often requiring your opponent to go 2v1 and sometimes 3v1. You also can generally get 7 damage, and a 1-2 card advantage. Also since the deck is very controly, 85% of the time its a none issue he has overload.

4. Lava burst, 5 damage for 3 mana, plus its often a 6 damage. Sometimes you can save up a few blasts for a nice 15+ damage end game, or use them individually to remove almost everything.

5. Feral Spirit 3 mana for two 2/3 taunters. These are early game bullies especially if you summon them turn 2. Just a good card allowing you to sit back and wait for your mid game strengths.

6. Lightning Bolt 3-4 damage for 1 mana, depending. Great early game removal of annoying growing cards like Mana Wyrm, a Pint sized Summoner, an early Questing Adventure, ext..

7. Ironfur Grizzly 3 for 3/3 taunt. He's mainly in there for early aggression decks, but I'm not sure its fully needed. He has been helpful vrs Rogues.

8. Sen'jin Shieldmasta' He's just cool and useful. 3/5 taunter for 4. His 3/5 make him almost to much of a counter/perfect vrs aggresion, since his 3/5 almost always makes those decks 2v1 him. I sometimes wonder if Aggro decks can't shine because of this card and a good deal of the AOE in general.

9. Lightning Storm Speaking of AOE, this 2/3-4/5 damage AOE for 3 mana just shuts down aggro and well it sucks for them. You get overload, but so what, you got a totem next round for sure, and so much mid game power, you often dont care.

10. Hex, Lovely 3 cast gtfo with what ever that early cheese you just threw at me card. I sometimes feel like I only want 1 per game, but then it re-reminds me why I love it by winning me 5 close games, so I keep two, so they can be friends.

11. Loot Hoarder. Nice early aggression/counter aggression 2/1 that gives you some love (a card). Key vrs rogues early aggression and other random aggro decks I've faced. Plus hes a late game I NEED something else card, so you get two damage sacrifice him and walla, gg you win with the card you drew......sometimes :)

12. Ironbeak Owl, The Anti Cheese/you think your safe behind your taunter card. 2 drop 2/1. Oh you dropped a 7/7 Twilight Dragon turn 3, its now a 1/1 sorry. Oh your at 10 health behind your 8/8 Iron Bark Protector w/taunt, sorry your dead, gg. A must have card.

13. Dalaran Mage 3 drop 2/4!!!!. He's just good given most removal levels at that part of the game, plus he gives you +1 spell damage and can removal all those pesky 2/1, 2/3's. That +1 spell damage has caused many a tear, so use this card and get out your umbrellas.

14. Azure Drake. A 5 drop, get a card, 4/4 and +1 spell damage. This card was developed when I told Blizzard about my deck and they said they would help out by making something that would fit perfectly.

15. Unbound Elemental 3 Cost 2/4!!!! That grows!! With overload (we have 10 things with overload, so its often a 3/5 turn 3-4 and a hard to remove threat early). He's good, I'm finding usefull, I have recently been using him after removing a early game taunters that seemed to always get removed anyways since they were 2/3 or lower.

16. Acidic Swamp Ooze Costs 2, 3/2 destroys opponents weapon. I put this in after loosing to rogues a couple times, and have found it very usefull vrs Paladin and Warrior decks that use weapons.

How to Play:

As you can see, all adjustments were for rogues since they are easily the cheesiest and toughest match up and I'd say its about a 50% win/loss chance. If they change coin mechanics and some stupid combo's it will only get better.

Rogues: So vrs rogues, you generally just want to blast and counter aggression as fast as you can by summing your creatures to block if needed, (if you don't have aoe, or direct damage). And try to come out hard 3-5 crystal range. Maybe saving a ooze for his weapon combo's, or a silence if you need to and dont have something that can remove questing adventures or Auctioneer (if they reveal it).

Vrs everything else: I don't feel like writing to much more atm, there is a little more subtly but its almost the same vrs all other classes depending on "your" draws or you know what they play.

1. If you draw more direct damage removal, you will most likely be forced to play more counter and come out strong early-mid/mid.

2. If you draw more creatures and you don't think they have many weapons, bring down your ooze, loot hoarder (you can always bring him down), and maybe Bird if you have a lot of removal anyway or know the deck doesn't have many things requiring silence.

3. Sometimes you may get a combo like, mage, Unbound Elemental, 1 lighting bolt and 1 Storm with overload, and something else. You will have to gauge by round 3 if you think they are just going to rush you and avoid your minions or may attack you. I'd save the Bolt, take a few damage, and maybe bring out the elemental or perhaps mage if you think by the next turn he may have a 3-4 health creature he will summon. Then if he attacks and hits you, you can clear next turn 2v1, or if he attacks your creature with both his, usually a 2v1, or attacks with 1 and removes another with damage, its 2v1, so either way your good. You can then bring the elemental out, and buff him and remove creature. Its really open and so many possibilities.

4. Always remember to summon a totem during overload turns, since you will have a few down moments, but due to the strength of your cards vrs opponent, its almost never an issue.
Edited by Zargash on 9/10/2013 9:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Reserved for future use.
Reply Quote
How do you feel about Spellbreakers vs. Owls? Usually you don't need the silence that early and with the 'Breakers you get a nice, fat threat on the board, too.

Your deck is very similar to mine, though I don't run Yetis. I might try to free up some room for them since the deck is a little bit in flux right now.
Reply Quote
Hey Tang,

I use to do 2 owls 1 spell breaker, and that can work. But I always have 2 owls, because once your in platinum and above the games get tougher and you see some STRONG drops out turn 2-4. yes its rare, but preference wise I always feel safer not taking 6-7 damage from something, before I can someone the Breaker turn 4. Also to add into my decision, I like being about to come out turn 2-3 sometimes to get rid of a pesky buffer/or knife thrower and/or do some damage/remove a 3/2-2/2 Pint Sized because I know I need to pressure as fast as I can to win (mage/Druid sometimes) and atleast I'll slow them down.

But you know, I'm sure there are a few situations I might of wished I had a 4/3 silencer to ;)

Also I did remove the spell breaker and a 2/3 taunter when I saw that in the Diamond-Master Leagues, I really found I needed to pressure more than wait, I was to waity at first, so I put in the 2 yeti's for good. Although I may remove one for a Sylvana or something else, not sure.
Edited by Zargash on 9/7/2013 10:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would recommend only 1x Acidic Ooze. Not only is it an answer (which you want to keep the amount of these to a minimum), but it's also a very specific answer that is unneeded against basically anything that's not a Warrior or Rogue.
Reply Quote
Paladins and Hunters as well. I'd rather have it much more likely than not against the one matchup that is the most challenging, which is why I'll have 2. Its still a pressuring 3/2 turn 1 or 2, and a card trade. If I was guarenteed to draw it each game, then 1 would be fine.
Edited by Zargash on 9/9/2013 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think I'm going to work towards this deck... I'm already using something based more or less on a similar build, and I think I can see how I might alter this deck to fit my playstyle. Awesome deck, thanks for sharing!
Reply Quote
This is very similar to my shaman deck that I just broke into masters with:

http://www.hsdeck.com/deck/shaman/UqzGfn

I don't have Earth Elementals though (I will get them eventually) and I like running earthshock over Owl. But that is because I run more SP. Overall, it's a fun deck to play!

EDIT: Can I ask why you decided not to run Mana-tide Totem? I feel like it's the best card in my deck some games.
Edited by Malscent on 9/13/2013 12:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
not a fan of earth elemental. if your opponent has an answer (assassinate, sheep, your own frog, mind control or my personal favorite... sap) you are down a big threat and playing the next turn with 3 less mana. Turn 5 is the money zone for most removal, meaning they can take it out and you're playing turn 6 with 3 mana (when ideally turn 6 is your fire elemental).

but he does have overload, which if he's played with the unbound out, the opponent gets to decide which one they're rather face, and either one of those that makes it another turn keeps you ahead.

since you are invested in overload though, why not spirit wolves over the grizzly? Same cost, though you're down 2 mana the next turn, it gives you 2 early board taunters that wreck aggro decks.
Reply Quote
This is very similar to my shaman deck that I just broke into masters with:

http://www.hsdeck.com/deck/shaman/UqzGfn

I don't have Earth Elementals though (I will get them eventually) and I like running earthshock over Owl. But that is because I run more SP. Overall, it's a fun deck to play!

EDIT: Can I ask why you decided not to run Mana-tide Totem? I feel like it's the best card in my deck some games.

Its a nice card and you can't go wrong, but I like more aggression, I'm actually trying 2 flametonge totems atm instead of Overload Elementals. Plus its THE card that just ruins a Druids day, lol unless they have their 1 naturalize if they even run it. And I do run spirit wolfs, its called Feral Spirit I believe.

not a fan of earth elemental. if your opponent has an answer (assassinate, sheep, your own frog, mind control or my personal favorite... sap) you are down a big threat and playing the next turn with 3 less mana. Turn 5 is the money zone for most removal, meaning they can take it out and you're playing turn 6 with 3 mana (when ideally turn 6 is your fire elemental).

but he does have overload, which if he's played with the unbound out, the opponent gets to decide which one they're rather face, and either one of those that makes it another turn keeps you ahead.

since you are invested in overload though, why not spirit wolves over the grizzly? Same cost, though you're down 2 mana the next turn, it gives you 2 early board taunters that wreck aggro decks.

Ya thats why you bate out a hard counter before you place him, like a yeti with flametongue on him will generally bring out a hard counter
Reply Quote
In my experience having sunwalkers in play to force trades and/or transform cards has done loads in ranked shaman play. Combo that up with ancestral spirit and/or Cairne you will have insane control. In regards to earth elementals I've rarely been in a situation where I would need one for protection, but I use him to bait counters or enforce board controls.

One of my favorite things about shamans is that it's easy to bait counters and trade offs and then boom nuke them down. You just need to be willing to sacrifice cards.
Reply Quote
what about faerie dragon (http://www.hsdeck.com/cards/faerie-dragon)?

This have realy made it tough for spell intensive builds early on. Only problem is that rogue hero ability can dmg it. But i realy like to have one in my deck and buff him up true other minions :)
Reply Quote
Zargash,

does this Deck work well in the current build?
Reply Quote
09/07/2013 10:03 AMPosted by tangmcgame
How do you feel about Spellbreakers vs. Owls? Usually you don't need the silence that early and with the 'Breakers you get a nice, fat threat on the board, too.

Your deck is very similar to mine, though I don't run Yetis. I might try to free up some room for them since the deck is a little bit in flux right now.

I know this is late, but neither of these options are optimal. Earth shock is stronger than them both. With the 4/2 charge, divine shield (why can't i remember his name???) being so prominent in play, an earth shock buffed immediately takes care of him. not only that, but it serves the same purpose of an ironbeak owl except does not get shut down by mages (it will just get killed, making it a 2 mana silence with no abilities). furthermore, with enough overload cards (there should be more in this deck than there is, but that's okay) spellbreaker will end up costing too much mana. additionally, a 4/3 is nothing special for that mana cost
Reply Quote
12/22/2013 03:21 AMPosted by Tomyo
Zargash,

does this Deck work well in the current build?

currently, it is not agro-resistant enough. in high ranked play (i am rank 6, though i only have legendary card) i fight against warlock agro 65%+ of the time. this deck requires forked lightning to even being close to viable in the current meta. Additionally, rockbiter weapon and whatever that 2/3 axe are are necessary (1 of each) for fighting back agro. shamans can win late game with big bruisers like Venture Co. Mercenary (yes, he's viable at this rank) and earth elemental. I run 1 ragnaros (my only legendary) to end the game after controlling the board the whole time. Dalaran mage is out, (it was a 2/4 now it's a 1/4) and in it's place i run 1 kobold geomancer. This card is amazing because though he won't last more than 1 turn usually, he's a 2-mana buffer for all your spells. If a warlock drops a blood imp turn 1, (they ususally will ditch their hand to fish out one from their deck), it's very hard for shamans to destroy their endless wave of minions. Forked lightning and lightning storm are great removal, but are unreliable against minions with 3+ toughness. for 5 mana, one can dump a kobold geomancer and then play lightning storm doing a guaranteed 3 damage, and possibly killing that pesky voidwalker on the field for 4 damage. either way, against agro you're still left with a minion on the field to do your bidding and it is much more reliable than getting a wrath of air totem.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]