Solid Warrior Starter Decks

I've been playing around with starter (all-basic) decks and have found one that seems to work pretty well for Warriors. I'm also looking for decks that other players have found to work well.

Khalanil's Warrior Starter Deck
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/9882388823?page=1#2
Edited by Khalanil on 9/7/2013 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Khalanil's Warrior Starter Deck
    http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/6711-khalanils-basic-warrior-deck
    Charge (2)
    Execute (2)
    Voodoo Doctor (2)
    Whirlwind (2)
    Cleave (2)
    Fiery War Axe (2)
    Heroic Strike (2)
    Novice Engineer (2)
    Ironfur Grizzly (2)
    Shield Block (2)
    Warsong Commander (2)
    Kor'kron Elite (2)
    Arcanite Reaper (2)
    Gurubashi Berserker (2)
    Core Hound (2)

Based on mashdar's Thrifty Warrior Deck ( http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/9792850264 )
    - Four weapon cards provide minion removal without sacrificing board control.
    - Whirlwind synergizes well with Execute and Gurubashi Berserker
    - Charge/Warsong Commander guarantees at least one 9-damage attack per Core Hound.
    - Main drawback I've found is a possible weakness in draw power.
Edited by Khalanil on 9/7/2013 2:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
solid deck but need brawl, or sometimes you just get overwelm
Reply Quote
this works very well for dailies:
http://www.wowhead.com/hearthstone/deckbuilder#MMVs7zVW7Mf37MRY7Mdh7MoS7Mdq7Mim7Mn7MmU7Muv7MaP7MiG7zbQ7Mio7MaQ8z

i have 5common cards there, so you can get it without paying in first day from freebies and dust from free arena.

it is weak against some decks, but perfect to play dailies if warrior is picked and u got no cards yet.
Reply Quote
This deck ive been using is pretty basic, nothing past uncommon except gelbin who is just in there as a random fun late card. I've taken this deck to 1 star masters so far, its working some wonders :)

2x Execute
2x Fiery War Axe
2x Slam
2x Amani Berserker
2x Cruel Taskmaster
2x Shattered Sun Cleric
2x Tauren Warrior
2x Warsong Commander
1x Kor'kron Elite
2x Sen'jin Shield Master
2x Arcanite Reaper
2x Frostwolf Warlord
2x Gurubashi Berserker
2x Stormpike Commando
1x Gelbin Mekkatorque
2x Lord of the arena

Actually just realized from typing this list should probably have 2x korkron instead of gelbin but oh well :P
Reply Quote
I just finished this deck, subbed 1 Arcanite Reaper for my Gorehowl. I'll test this later on, but it seems kinda strong so far.
Reply Quote
09/17/2013 01:00 AMPosted by Perrito
solid deck but need brawl, or sometimes you just get overwelm

This guide is just using cards that you are given up to and including level 10 - That's what Khalanil's guides are for. Alltho Brawl does look helpful :D
Reply Quote
Played this deck for about an hour, and not a single win. Not one. I have never played a warrior before, but I've NEVER seen performance this awful out of ANY class so far.

With a priest, I can easily build a deck of basic (what you get by level 10) cards and have at least 50% win rate. Actually it's closer to 80% for me.

But with a warrior? Not a chance. Not even close! Unless I get a PERFECT starter hand AND weapons keep coming at a reasonable pace AND hard-hitters show up just as I need them? No chance. None in the world. And if the opponent has a nice hand going? Total loss, it's not even close.

I'm both pissed off and disgusted right now, as you can probably tell. It is just incredibly depressing, being unable to complete a daily because virtually any class walks all over you unless the stars align. Or your opponent really sucks. Unluckily, I've been up against decent players the past hour that didn't make too many mistakes.

Awful class balance. Just awful. I'm sorry, but Whirlwind? Execute? Card draw ridiculously weak (especially compared to something like a warlock or mage that just ****s cards)? Having to melee down the enemy yourself because you have no mass board clearance tools AT ALL? No way to mind control, sw:death, hex, poly, assassinate or otherwise remove a single insanely strong card from the field? (UNLESS you have Whirlwind + Execute, to deal with a single card? 2 for 1 FTW?!)

Sigh... Forget it, back to playing a real class, no more of this cannon fodder, daily or no daily.

UPDATE: I'm an idiot! (if you said "Well, duh!", then Jinx!)

Turns out the daily was 2 wins with warrior OR PALADIN. Silly me. Banging my head against the wall with the warrior. Picked up my pally with a level 10 beginner deck, and facerolled my way through 3 victories in a row in under 30 minutes, including one against another pally. Easy peasy. Whew. Thank gods for the pallies...
Edited by Sabbathius on 10/19/2013 6:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Played this deck for about an hour, and not a single win. Not one. I have never played a warrior before, but I've NEVER seen performance this awful out of ANY class so far.

With a priest, I can easily build a deck of basic (what you get by level 10) cards and have at least 50% win rate. Actually it's closer to 80% for me.

But with a warrior? Not a chance. Not even close! Unless I get a PERFECT starter hand AND weapons keep coming at a reasonable pace AND hard-hitters show up just as I need them? No chance. None in the world. And if the opponent has a nice hand going? Total loss, it's not even close.

I'm both pissed off and disgusted right now, as you can probably tell. It is just incredibly depressing, being unable to complete a daily because virtually any class walks all over you unless the stars align. Or your opponent really sucks. Unluckily, I've been up against decent players the past hour that didn't make too many mistakes.

Awful class balance. Just awful. I'm sorry, but Whirlwind? Execute? Card draw ridiculously weak (especially compared to something like a warlock or mage that just ****s cards)? Having to melee down the enemy yourself because you have no mass board clearance tools AT ALL? No way to mind control, sw:death, hex, poly, assassinate or otherwise remove a single insanely strong card from the field? (UNLESS you have Whirlwind + Execute, to deal with a single card? 2 for 1 FTW?!)

Sigh... Forget it, back to playing a real class, no more of this cannon fodder, daily or no daily.

UPDATE: I'm an idiot! (if you said "Well, duh!", then Jinx!)

Turns out the daily was 2 wins with warrior OR PALADIN. Silly me. Banging my head against the wall with the warrior. Picked up my pally with a level 10 beginner deck, and facerolled my way through 3 victories in a row in under 30 minutes, including one against another pally. Easy peasy. Whew. Thank gods for the pallies...

Dude, the deck is allright. Messed around for a bit and did ok, 7 wins out of 10 games. And a few games without taking a single damage.
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 02:34 PMPosted by wardys
Dude, the deck is allright. Messed around for a bit and did ok, 7 wins out of 10 games. And a few games without taking a single damage.

Do you mean you changed some cards in the deck? If so, what did you change? :) I'm getting hammered with over 10 games lost in a row now with this deck. I feel like I'm giving free wins for my opponents. Mostly I'm dying to hunter decks which is no surprise (thanks to chanmanv and kripparian) but otherwise... getting to the late game but in there everything is only decided by top-decking :(
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 03:49 PMPosted by FlatusJae

Do you mean you changed some cards in the deck? If so, what did you change? :) I'm getting hammered with over 10 games lost in a row now with this deck. I feel like I'm giving free wins for my opponents. Mostly I'm dying to hunter decks which is no surprise (thanks to chanmanv and kripparian) but otherwise... getting to the late game but in there everything is only decided by top-decking :(

Same for me. Deck listed here is a complete no-go. Over 2 hrs with it, and not a single win. Simple RNG (no weapon in early game, for example, out of 6 possible weapon cards?) can do so much damage that you lose the initiative and never recover.

The problem did resolve itself once I managed to get a few rare cards into the warrior deck. Those few rare cards made all the difference.

But I still maintain that, with a BASIC deck (no cards beyond the ones you get at level 10, no rares, no epics, no legendaries), a warrior right now is unplayable. Whereas other classes, like priest, paladin, mage, etc., are eminently effective. I've yet to see any video or feed of someone succeeding with a BASIC warrior deck. At the very least it takes a handful of rares to become somewhat effective.
Reply Quote
What cards you switched? :)
Reply Quote
Total nonstarter. Every game ends the enemy holding half a dozen cards to my none. Can't compete in any meaningful way.
Reply Quote
Yeah this deck... no
Reply Quote
The deck I used was somewhat similar.

Execute (2)
Whirlwind (2)
Cleave (2)
Fiery War Axe (2)
Heroic Strike (2)
Novice Engineer (2)
Ironforge Rifleman (2)
Shield Block (2)
Warsong Commander (2)
Kor'kron Elite (2)
Sen'jin Shieldmasta (2)
Arcanite Reaper (2)
Stormpike Commando (2)
Gurubashi Berserker (2)
Boulderfist Ogre (2)

I use the Rifleman and the Stormpike Commandos so that I have more minion damage with which to reliably execute large minions/taunters who were in play. Additionally, none of the minions I've chosen have 1 health so you don't have to worry about killing uninjured minions with your whirlwind.

If you feel like having more taunt, you could swap the Boulderfist Ogre with the Lord of the Arena but personally I find that they get removed with the same frequency and I prefer having slightly more health than the utility of taunt.
Reply Quote
Not sure what you guys are talking about with the deck in OP being bad. I got my daily done pretty quickly with it, only lost to a pretty intense, expensive Priest deck. If you're playing smart, it's pretty solid for a class that got so heavily gimped on basic cards.
Reply Quote
I have to concur, this is a pretty awful deck. You just end up chucking your minions at the enemy's minions to get rid of the enemy's ones, and are constantly on a back foot.

To be honest I think the problem might be the warrior basic class specific cards being quite underwhelming.
Reply Quote
For a starter deck I just spammed practice against bots to level 10 in two hours or less, and then:

2x execute
2x fiery war axe
2x cleave
2x heroic strike
2x acidic swamp ooze
2x shield block
2x shatter sun cleric
2x warsong commander
2x chillwind yeti
2x gnomish inventor
2x kokron elite
2x senjin shieldmaster
2x arcanite reaper
2x frostwolf warlord
2x core hound

the key is to start with weapon or ooze. Which isnt hard. focus on clearing minions with a weapon while you go for the face and climb up slowly. shield block synergizes with weapons VERY well and gives a card draw. then gnomish inventor is a minion with carddraw.

everything is elite except froswolf and gnomish. frostwolf is good to throw if u have at least 2 minions out, and gnomish is good for a semi-free minion card. everything else is about going for the face while you rely on weapons and heroic strike to clear.

Before I changed this I won a good 70-80% of my games before turn 10. If not before turn 8.

a good combo is shatter sun with senjin or kokron elite.
another is warsong followed by core hound or frost wolf. (warsong is 3 and corehound is 7. very devistating surprise turn 10.)

if u want good protection on the warsong. Put up a senjin and use shattered sun on the warsong. or just shattered sun on warsong if u cant afford it.
Edited by AncientDoom on 10/30/2013 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 10:40 PMPosted by BrandosHyur
Not sure what you guys are talking about with the deck in OP being bad. I got my daily done pretty quickly with it, only lost to a pretty intense, expensive Priest deck. If you're playing smart, it's pretty solid for a class that got so heavily gimped on basic cards.

In my experience, Warrior is at least solid in basic cards. Not great, but solid. For awful basic cards, I say Rogue and Shaman are much worse, and Druid probably is as well - although my experience grinding a Druid to level 10 is so terrible I've temporarily given up on it, so there may be some good basic Druid cards earned at level 8 or 10.

Warrior's not great, but not horrible either. At least it has the core functionality you need out of any deck in the basic set - some aoe, some removal, anything more you can get from neutrals when you're talking basic. If you're expecting top tier performance out of a basic deck, you're SOL no matter what class you play, but for a basic card only deck, Warrior is OK.
Reply Quote
is warrior decks one of the weakest?
today i got a daily to use warrior deck and i have never won a game using khalini basic deck. 20 over games and i finally gave up.

i find the deck lacking in creatures, almost every game opponents have taunts which forces me to trade my creatures.
and once im out of creatures im basically sitting duck with cleave, weapons, and armor up...

worst opponent so far = priest.

if i used my basic mage deck, it is a breeze.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]