Share Your Hunter Deck/Constructive Criticicm

http://s12.postimg.org/jhp0cxjl9/hearthstone_hunter_deck.png

Here's mine. Please tell me what you think and if there's anything I can do to make it stronger. Feel free to post your deck too to the same effect.
Reply Quote
You have Kill Command but only 2 beasts. More beasts.
Reply Quote
You have some good cards here, but I don't feel like they're in the right combination. I think that adding Animal Companion would add some much-needed power. Another major concern is that you're running no taunt minions. They disrupt the plan of your opponent by forcing them to deal with it first. Senjin Shieldmasta and Ironfur Grizzly are good options. It's possible to run a successful hunter deck without a focus on beasts, but you still need the right cards to do it.
Reply Quote
I know it seems crazy having a Hunter deck with no beasts but I win so many games with it. With Multi Shot, Snipe, deadly shot, all the on use damages etc I literally kill every minion my opponent can summon the turn they summon it.

I took out Gelbin Mekatorque because his stupid chicken thing and healing thing sometimes work against me. And I took out Sylvanas because I was never able to use her effectively and replaced them with 2 Big Game Hunters. Thinking about throwing a Ragnaros in there I dunno.
Edited by Pandamusk on 9/5/2013 12:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Lots of good cards, no concept of card advantage. You can kill most things the tun they come out sure but your deck design lacks alot of important things You have no rush control what so ever. Sure you have spent some money and got some good cards, but cards are only 1/4 the battle. Deck construction and play are more then who can pack the most legends and epics...Card interaction and understanding of game play mater...

Again good cards when you take them on a 1 on 1 basis but together there is no synergy or flow that will carry you to victory.
Reply Quote
Lots of good cards, no concept of card advantage. You can kill most things the tun they come out sure but your deck design lacks alot of important things You have no rush control what so ever. Sure you have spent some money and got some good cards, but cards are only 1/4 the battle. Deck construction and play are more then who can pack the most legends and epics...Card interaction and understanding of game play mater...

Again good cards when you take them on a 1 on 1 basis but together there is no synergy or flow that will carry you to victory.

I've actually only spent $2 on one arena admission. I'm not using any legendary cards in my deck. Stuff like Hunters Mark and then a Elven Archer isn't synergy? I wish there was actual statistics I could look at but I'd say this deck wins 80% of games I've played with it. It got me to master rank. Thanks for your input though, if you have any more concrete advice besides saying obvious general statements like "understanding gameplay maters" let me know.
Reply Quote
Hi!

http://www.wowhead.com/hearthstone/deckbuilder#MMrY7Mht7MwE7MoE7MoF7Ms07zrg7MMA7MVO7MVz7Mm47MdS7MAr7Mk07zya7MiO8c

That is a link to the deck you gave at the first post. Can you update it and repost or are you still running the same deck?
Reply Quote
Hi!

http://www.wowhead.com/hearthstone/deckbuilder#MMrY7Mht7MwE7MoE7MoF7Ms07zrg7MMA7MVO7MVz7Mm47MdS7MAr7Mk07zya7MiO8c

That is a link to the deck you gave at the first post. Can you update it and repost or are you still running the same deck?

Oh wow that is a useful tool. I didn't know about it. Thanks.

http://www.wowhead.com/hearthstone/deckbuilder#MMrY7MnV7Mht7MwE7MoE7MoF7Ms07MMA7MVO7MVz7Mm47MdS7MAr7Mk07MiO8c
Reply Quote
Hi!

This is actually pretty much how you want to run your Control Hunter deck. Most certainly effective against many decks and is better, or at least more consistent, than Beast decks. I still think you might want to try out few other cards that have been dominating the competitive scene.

While Demolisher is a OK card, there are certainly few that could help you to keep board controlled and be rather cheap card in mana:

1) Ironbeak Owl. 2/1 with Silence as Battlecry. This card can remove those strong buffs from Paladins, Druids and Priests, put Twilight Drakes back to 1/1 and get rid of crucial card texts just to name few uses. Silence might be the most effective mechanic of the game. Good from start to end. One nice "trick" is to silence Shaman Hero Power totems and leave them to the board. Now they can't get the same one again and the totem is just 0/2 Minion that can't do the special power. Also great for Mana tide and Flametongue.

2) Wild Pyromancer. 3/2 and does 1 damage to every minion after you have cast a spell. While being efficent body as he has 5 stats for 2 mana this card could work well for you. While you have strong removal for boards that have limited amount of Minions, with Pyromancer you can wipe those low HP mass spam boards with ease. Expecially good against Hunters as you can drop 2 spells and wipe every 2 HP Beast from the board. To kill bigger Minions you can drop this and then Hunters Mark something. Mark drops the Health to 1 and then Pyromancer does 1 damage to everyone. There is of course a drawback to Pyromancer as he damages your minions also. But for you this is not such a huge problem as you don't run many 1 Health Minions and rely on Hero Power to end the game instead of Minions.

3) Explosive Trap. Keeps the board clean from small drops. Good to remember is that if the minions dies to the ET it won't do the damage. I think this is crucial for every Control deck as Hunters don't have any other true board wide AoE attack. Stops agressive decks effectively.

To keep things controllable you shouldn't change too many things at a time but i would still suggest another card to be changed. That would be Stampeding Kodo. Cards to consider:

1) Spellbreaker. 4/3 with Silence Battlecry. Same thing as Ironbeak but instead of cheap price you get a 4/3 body. I would suggest this mainly if you don't run the Ironbeak Owl as you don't really rely on Minions at board that much.

2) Sen'Jin Shieldmasta. 3/5 with Taunt. Used in over half of the ManaGrinds tournaments decks usually and is the most used neutral card back to back for many tournaments top 8 decks. Mana efficiency is astonishing. 3 Attack is just enough to kill pretty much any 2 drop and many of 3 drops. Only few cards in game can deal with him with cost of four and he usually trades at least 1-for-2. If you want to keep the minion out of damage range of 5 damage spells, you can use Fen Creeper. He is 3/6 for 5 mana. Mostly still suggest the Shieldmasta istead of Fen.

3) Legendaries. First to mind comes Ragnaros, that is huge body and starts dealing damage the turn he is dropped to the table. Ragnaros is also somewhat immune to Silence as if he is silenced he is still a 8/8 Minion and now he can attack! King Krush can also be used with Control decks as he can work alone and be dropped in for the kill. Problem with these big minions is that enemy is most likely saving his removal in hand as you really don't play anything they need to directly destroy or transform otherwise.

There certainly are other cards to consider on top of these, but if you want my advice i think these are the ones that you should test out first. Besides the Legendaries, the cards are Basic, Common or Rare so they shouldn't be too hard to get as you seem to have four Epics there already. :)
Reply Quote
Thanks for the post Typoko. Extremely constructive. I tried out silences but decided against it because I often had the choice to silence a minion or outright kill it and I would rather kill it so the silences weren't useful sometimes. I also thought about using explosion shot and other aoe's but due to limited space and since I usually don't get overrun anyway I decided against that too. Ragnaros would be cool but I'm low on dust.
Reply Quote
I'd like some feedback on this deck, please. I've never played a "T"CG or anything of the sort (other than Android: Netrunner... heh).
I spend a lot of time tweaking it trying to find out what's helping me and what isn't, but at the end of the day, I don't really know what I'm doing.

I don't have a lot of good cards I see that are needed to make a good deck, so I'm doing the best with what I have.

http://www.wowhead.com/hearthstone/deckbuilder#MMnE7zht7zj67zoF7zRS7zfB7zi07MMA7MGM7zVz7MMD7zm47MaP7zza7MzR7zdS7zk07zzs7Maw7ziO7zqX7zIm8c

I spend more of my games losing than anything else, so any feedback would be very appreciated. :)
Reply Quote
Hi!

It looks like you have just added the cards that you have and not removed the cards you don't have in the deck. Deck sizes are 30 as you know. Here is a link to an empty Hunter decklist:

http://www.wowhead.com/hearthstone/deckbuilder#M8c

You can also remove cards with right click. Atm it's rather hard to know what your deck really is Septyryx.
Reply Quote
I haven't lost a game with this deck yet, but I can sense it has weaknesses. Criticize it for me please!

http://www.wowhead.com/hearthstone/deckbuilder#MMkL7MrY7McD7MnE7zwH7zoF7zRS7zRL7Mi07MGM7zAd7MmI7MAb7zIN7zIJ7MIM7zbP7Maw7zqX7zIm8c
Reply Quote
Hi!

I haven't lost a game with this deck yet, but I can sense it has weaknesses. Criticize it for me please!

http://www.wowhead.com/hearthstone/deckbuilder#MMkL7MrY7McD7MnE7zwH7zoF7zRS7zRL7Mi07MGM7zAd7MmI7MAb7zIN7zIJ7MIM7zbP7Maw7zqX7zIm8c

From the look of your deck it seems to be a Beast aggro where you pretty much pour Beasts on the board as fast as you can and try to overwhelm your opponent. Problem of the deck is card draw. You pretty much will be drawing one card and playing at least one Beast in a turn. Only thing that gives you more cards is Buzzard and if you don't get it, you are screwed. At this point of the game this kind of deck still works, but won't work against really good decks that run efficent Taunt minions such as Sen'Jin Shieldmasta. The deck is also clearly made from limited pool of cards so i will give some general suggestions.

1) Get another Unleash The Hounds. It's a card that gets you out of trouble and wins you games. Good card from start to end.

2) Ironbeak Owls. One of the great problems for Beast decks are Taunt minions. When a Sunwalker (4/5 With Taunt and Divine Shield) hits the board you will have to run many Beasts in to it to get past him. With Ironbeak Owl you can remove both Taunt and Divine Shield so you can keep bashing their Hero and force them to be the ones attacking your Beasts instead of your hero. Also really good against things like Twilight Drake and Gadgeztan Auctioneer and other cards that rely on the card text to give advantage.

3) Stranglethorn Tiger. Great beast. It's effectiveness can be seen in that it's also played in other than Hunter Beast decks. I think it's best used with Kill Command to play this and then on the next turn with Kill Command, Hero power and Tiger attack you can do 12 damage.

4) Another copy of Scavenging Hyena, Dire Wolf Alpha and Savannah Highmane. These three cards are somewhat pillars of your deck and they provide effectiveness to the deck.

5) Deadly shot / antoher Explosive shot / Kill Commands. Your deck still doesn't fully rely on all out aggro but rather has full spectrum of Beasts. Problem with this is that enemies can start dropping minions on the board that you can't deal with at all. 8/8 Giants are a nightmare for you. You need to go lighter and try to burst the enemy down earlier or get something to deal with them.

6) King Mukla. It's a legendary and rather hard to get, but if you can get your hands on this baby, you rarely regret playing it. 5/5 on second turn with the coin... oh thats just priceless. :) Follow that up with Animal Companion and the enemy is in despair.

While the deck has actually nice mana curve where you don't stack too many low cost minions, it's quite hard to stay on top of the game with Beasts. Biggest problem for this kind of deck is that you will get really fast on top deck mode where you fully rely on what you draw and play it down. This is a general problem for Beast Decks. Remember that if something is working at least in some level, and in your case it seems to be really well, you shouldn't change too many things at a time so trying few changes a time can let you feel the impact that some of these changes make to your deck.
Reply Quote
Here's a starter (all basic cards) deck I've been playing around with.

Arcane Shot (2)
Stonetusk Boar (2)
Timber Wolf (2)
Bloodfen Raptor (2)
River Crocolisk (2)
Starving Buzzard (2)
Animal Companion (2)
Kill Command (2)
Ironfur Grizzly (2)
Silverback Patriarch (2)
Multi-Shot (2)
Houndmaster (2)
Oasis Snapjaw (2)
Tundra Rhino (2)
Core Hound (2)
Edited by Khalanil on 9/13/2013 7:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi!

Khalanil: Actually you seem to have some Common cards there with the Basic cards. Common ones are the white gemmed cards that come from packs and basic cards are the ones you get trough leveling/starter deck. But yeah... It's hard to give some solid advices as i don't have any kind of a grasp what kind of cards you have access to (i assume not that many) and what you want to change that deck in to? You want to keep playing Beast heavy?

I'll list few cards that i would suggest adding to that list as it would like to stay Beast centric.

1) Unleash the Hounds. Key to every Beast deck. Let's you do winning moves without letting your enemy to react to them. Can also be used to add 1 Attack to every Beast even if they don't need the charge to finish the game. I would replace Stonetusk Boar as they have rather low effect on the game even if they end up staying alive for 3+ turns.

2) Ironbeak Owl. Best way to deal with Taunt Minions. Also helps a lot with Twilight Drakes, that seem to be really commonly used. I would replace Bloodfen Raptor with this one. While it's somewhat OK value for it's cost it gets removed by any AoE or 1 drops pretty much.

3) Stranglethorn Tiger. 5/5 with Stealth. This means that while it doesn't have Charge, it's pretty much unkillable before it gets his Attack off. Imho one of the best Beasts that the game has. Replace Oasis Snapjaw. Oasis Snapjaw is ok card as you might get the Houndmaster buff on it. Witout it tho, it's rather useless as enemies can usually ignore it as it only has 2 damage.

4) Dire Wolf Alpha. Good buff and hits the low cost curve nicely. Can't survive most AoE attacks but can give you some reactive potential as you can buff something up to do that one point more damage that the enemy didn't know you were able to do with the board you have. I would replace River Crocolisk with this one.

5) Young Dragonhawk. Beast that benefits the most from Attack bonuses as it has Windfury. At this point the replacement of a certain card starts to be rather hard. Considering how much your deck revolves around Beasts i would drop the Arcane shots next. I really don't like Tundra Rhinos or Core Hounds, but they are the only "bigger" Beasts and i don't think you should start changing too many cards at a time to swap those two to something else than Beast cards.

All of these cards are Common, so you can obtain them trough the Crafting system rather easily.
Reply Quote
09/13/2013 12:02 AMPosted by Typoko
Khalanil: Actually you seem to have some Common cards there with the Basic cards.

Wow, you're right. I accidentally had a Common card (Explosive Trap) in there. I've replaced it with a Basic card.

Also, thanks for the tips. This deck is more for other players who are starting out with Hunter (I've got a decent set of options going already and I actually play Shaman primarily), but your advice definitely looks solid to me.
Reply Quote
This is the current deck im trying out for Hunter control mainly with traps, I don't have any strong finishers at the moment but some of these other decks have some good cards. It has been doing decently well in Masters 3 Stars I may consider to try out. Silence is by far too strong to not be using as it is very useful all the time, which is why I run 4 total. Criticisms welcomed!

I have not tried Wild Pyromancer but I will give it a shot over Demolisher which I have been using , the problem with that card is its either super dead or super good

http://www.wowhead.com/hearthstone/deckbuilder#MMkL7MrY7MmP7Md67Mht7Mna7MoF7Ms27MRS7Mm27Mhy7Mm47MmU7MbQ7Miq8c

If I had better end game finishers like King Krush I would probably replace the rakes for them. As of now just having a replacement effect and the +1 Spell Power is useful sometimes
Edited by wildfire007 on 9/15/2013 5:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi!

Wildfire: That's pretty much what a control deck should look like. Tho there are few cards that i might run over the ones you have chosen for a control deck. I'm not saying these ones that i suggest are better that you have, but they would be something that i myself fancy more.

1) Sen'Jin Shieldmasta or Abom over Animal Companion. As a control deck, Leokk is meh minion to get from AC and you are pretty much hoping for Misha. Shieldmasta is simply much more reliable even when it costs 1 more. Abom is a way to get much value from one card but is usually countered with a silence.

2) Tracking over Novice Engineers. With so little draw in your deck the discards aren't that meaningful from Tracking as you rarely deck out anyways. Also 1/2 minion rarely gives you any meaningful value.

3) One of the following Ragnaros/Leeroy/Gladiators Longbow over one of the Spellbreakers. I know two of these cards are Legendary, but they would help a lot in ending the game. I guess you could go King Krush also, but Leeroy + Hero Power is the same damage if you only want to use it to end the game and it leaves 4 mana unused instead of the 1 that KK leaves at turn 10.

4) Loot Hoarders over Novice Engineers. With 1 health you are more vulnerable against 3 classes that can deal it at will, but 2 Attack is way better than 1 in your deck. Loot hoarder can deal with Pintsized Summoner, Buzzard/Hyena, Flame Imp and Totems. Strong early game from your enemy is one of the hardest things to deal with so trying to prevent that will be good for you.
Reply Quote
Hi all,

So, I'm new to hearthstone and card games in general, and struggling a bit with deck building. I've built a deck and played a good few games with it (hunter to level 22), but I seem to always be playing with very little cards in my hand (or off the top of the deck). I dont have the full list in front of me, but I suspect the issue was that I had too many abilities, and not enough minions - so I could sometimes deal huge damage combos, but only if RNG favoured me... I also suffered from a lack of beasts, so some of my abilites were not getting their full utility.

Anyway, I read up what other people were doing with hunters, and came up with a new deck - what do people think of it?

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/hunter#8:1;22:1;24:2;76:2;86:2;99:1;101:1;167:2;225:1;239:1;279:1;317:2;363:1;407:1;488:2;500:2;513:2;519:2;553:1;578:2;

I think my general problem is not knowing how to evaluate a deck - what kind of ratios to go for, how to theme a deck properly, etc... For this deck, I have my weapon and traps combo, also a few cheap taunts, and a load of cheapish beasts with abilities that benefit/benefit from the presence of beasts. I'd hope to put out damage from turn one, hopefully nuking down my opponent before they get too strong - good/bad approach?

TL;DR - Noob deck builder, struggling, any advice welcome
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]