Dust Devils - Want to love them, but can't!

Dust Devils seem really powerful in theory, however I find them to be kind of a false choice.

if the enemy drops them on turn 1, they screw themselves for dropping another minion on turn 2 since they come with Overload (2).

Using these late game also feels like an easy way for the enemy to take them out since they only have 1 health.

Anyone else found a good use for them? In my deck, I don't have any and I'm doing just fine. I would like to see this card get more use though.
Reply Quote
I can't justify running them, personally. I wish they had Charge instead of Windfury, because at least then you could treat them like slightly-more-expensive-potentially-recurring Lightning Bolts. I'm sure there are scenarios where they're excellent (coining for 2 on your first turn probably rules), but they're just not reliable enough.
Edited by tangmcgame on 9/10/2013 5:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bad card.
Reply Quote
If you are playing with Unbound Elementals, they are a cheap way to boost him fast. Wait until turn 5, play an Unbound Elemental, play two Dust Devils. You then have a 4/6 and two 3/1's with windfury. The chances of them being able to take them all out on turn 5 is hard, but the chance of you having all of those cards by turn 5 is a bit hard too I guess.
Reply Quote
09/10/2013 07:31 AMPosted by Kodoir
If you are playing with Unbound Elementals, they are a cheap way to boost him fast. Wait until turn 5, play an Unbound Elemental, play two Dust Devils. You then have a 4/6 and two 3/1's with windfury. The chances of them being able to take them all out on turn 5 is hard, but the chance of you having all of those cards by turn 5 is a bit hard too I guess.

I did realize that they are one of the few [Overload] cards that has legs (i.e. not a spell) that would synergize with unbound elemental nicely.

But as you put it, the scenario where you have a still alive unbound elemental out there, or by turn 5 can drop one + 2 Dust Devils is very slim.

My biggest fear is that the 1 health they deploy with makes them feel like a big waste. Mages can arcane explosion, rogues can fan of knives, paladins can consecrate, warlocks can use mortal coil, warriors can whirlwind or cleave, hunters can multi-shot, explosive shot, priests can holy nova, enemy shaman can forked lightning or lightning storm, druids can starfall, moonfire, wrath of nature. (I think you get my point)
Reply Quote
My biggest fear is that the 1 health they deploy with makes them feel like a big waste. Mages can arcane explosion, rogues can fan of knives, paladins can consecrate, warlocks can use mortal coil, warriors can whirlwind or cleave, hunters can multi-shot, explosive shot, priests can holy nova, enemy shaman can forked lightning or lightning storm, druids can starfall, moonfire, wrath of nature. (I think you get my point)

Dust Devil by itself is not very good against a Mage, as it's easily removed via Fire Blast. If you can bump it up, that might make it worthwhile (e.g. Shattered Sun Cleric). Also, Dust Devil works as a soft taunt, as your enemy is likely to want to spend a card to take it out in the next turn. The question is whether that particular role warrants its usage, as 1-damage damage/AOE spells cost less than the total 3-Mana summoning costs.
Reply Quote
Dust Devils are !@#$ing OP in level 1, couldn't kill it as Warrior for 2 turns. 12 damage for 3 mana.
Edited by KingOfGaia on 9/14/2013 11:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
It's a gimicky card. If the opponent can do anything about them on turn 1 (and they usually can, but not always), they'll wreck your opponent. If they kill it, then you've lost your first 2 turns.
Reply Quote
the only way i personally have had value out of this card is by also dropping a coin-taunt 1/2 on turn 1 with it... again... spotty at best sadly.

however, i have dropped 1 of them on turn one (had it luckily live) only to rock biter it the next turn for 12.... but the chances of something like that happening are slim... and still not worth the card slot (for its low chance to happen).
Reply Quote
i was really bad with the dust devils the other day.. but once i figured out some amazing combos.. he's incredibly op. i have won most of the games lately just because of it. no one ever expects the dust devil to survive to strike.. but there are many ways to do this.
Reply Quote
If you are not facing a Mage or Rogue, in those cases the Devil doesn't worth to skip your turn 2 cuz he cant simply unload the 6 damages.

Really bad card unfortunately.
Reply Quote
I have had a few great games with them, one in particular was devestating. I first turn coined 2 devils against a hunter and got in 24 damage over the next 2 turns. He must have had a terrible hand...

I def love them in a overload/buff deck
Reply Quote
I ran Dust Devils in my masters deck for some time. If you're against a class that doesn't have a weapon or some way to kill it turn 1/2 then it can be some quick 6 to 12 damage depending on if you went first or second and if they played a minion or not.

It is a gamble most the time to get that card in your starting hand against said class. Otherwise I used them mid/late game after I know board clears have been used or to buff my elementals quickly. Or in the mid game wait for a taunt card/totem to drop (wolfs) and play them if I know they don't have enough to get through all the taunts and kill them both. Which can in turn be a good time to bloodlust for 24 damage alone.

It isn't a 'bad' card, it has its uses but you need to experiment with it a lot.
Reply Quote
They're terrible unless you have a way to increase their health, Stormwind Champ or Defender of Argus come to mind, but it's too specific a requirement for me to justify running them.

I prefer a totem/spell deck for my shaman :D I've won quite a few times by just lasting as long as possible and then double bloodlusts with 10 mana took a Warrior from like 37 - 0 instantly.

Glorious.
Reply Quote
IMO Useless
Reply Quote
dude i had 2 dust devils in my starting hand with that totem that has +2 to adjacent minions.
Put out both my DDevils on turn 1 with use of mana crystal, turn 2 hit enemy for 12, turn 3 played the totem and hit him for another 20 and won.
Reply Quote
dude i had 2 dust devils in my starting hand with that totem that has +2 to adjacent minions.
Put out both my DDevils on turn 1 with use of mana crystal, turn 2 hit enemy for 12, turn 3 played the totem and hit him for another 20 and won.

That's nice, but seems rather dumb to even have that in your deck. You fight a mage, and that strategy is completely countered.
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone

That's nice, but seems rather dumb to even have that in your deck. You fight a mage, and that strategy is completely countered.

Or Druid or Rogue.
Reply Quote
If only they would stay alive long enough to get in 1 attack:)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]