Dust Devils - Want to love them, but can't!

With all the priest's on the ladder dust devils are certainly a viable option, it forces them to do something about it rather than sitting on cards for the big combo's which in turn opens up the game so you have a much better chance at controlling into the mid-late game.
Reply Quote
Overload: 2
Damage and Health: 3/3
Windfury.
Then it wouldn't be the so useless.
Edited by Uninite on 10/25/2013 1:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
At the moment it's just bador, more to the point, not good enough and with a too big drawback.
Its okay though, not all cards can make it into optimized decks.
Reply Quote
Well, I once won a game on turn 2 because my opponent quit after I played turn 1 dust devil and turn 2 coin and rockbitter weapon the devil and slammed 12 dmg in his face.
Reply Quote
I think a nice balance would be to make them a 3/2. Now hear me out, locks can play an imp on turn 1 that deals 2 dmg to themselves with the same stats,3/2, and devils overload you so you cant play at all next turn which is debateably worse. However because of windfury maybe make them a 2/2 or at least lower the overload to 1 if its kept as a 3/1 so if you possibly have another 1 cost you can play something or if you are 2nd you could coin a totem or 2 cost.
Reply Quote
I love then for turn one vs anybody when I'm going first. It is totaly worth losing a turn of playing cards to force them to waste the coin on something like this. And if they don't hey 6 dmg
Reply Quote
11/07/2013 11:09 AMPosted by Voqics
I love then for turn one vs anybody when I'm going first. It is totaly worth losing a turn of playing cards to force them to waste the coin on something like this. And if they don't hey 6 dmg

No its not worth it. Because next turn when you have to pass, he gets a free minion on the field and starts the momentum.

And what happens if you don't draw it on turn 1? It is a completely dead weight card on turn 2, 3, 4 and 5. Dustdevil is a garbage card and if you want a 1 mana minion go for argent squire.
Reply Quote
1 toughness creatures that don't have divine shield or a come into play effect are unplayable.

Dust Devil infinitely more so because he overloads.
Reply Quote
11/07/2013 09:55 PMPosted by Kogarasuma
No its not worth it. Because next turn when you have to pass, he gets a free minion on the field and starts the momentum.

I don't agree with this, assuming - important - shaman goes first and drops it on turn 1. Let's say your opponent coins out a minion on turn 1 in response. On Turn 2, your play is simply to ignore the minion and bash him in the face for 6. That will almost force him to trade into your dust devil, which with 3 attack kills basically all 2 drops. Sure he may then drop another minion, but on Turn 3, my deck has a lot of responses - rockbiter self and 2-drop, axe, Lightning bolt, etc. Guy has burned his coin already and taken more damage than you.

11/07/2013 09:55 PMPosted by Kogarasuma
And what happens if you don't draw it on turn 1? It is a completely dead weight card on turn 2, 3, 4 and 5. Dustdevil is a garbage card and if you want a 1 mana minion go for argent squire.

Again, don't agree. Play it on any even turn, it's only 1 overload and trades just like it was a 3/2. Sure, it's easily sniped, but so are 3/2s. And anything with windfury is hard to ignore, so it tends to draw bad trades. Four points of stats for a 1 drop is damned good.

It does have a weakness, which is getting sniped by a dirt cheap direct damage spell the same turn it comes out. Then you've lost out. But everything has a weakness.
Reply Quote
Here's what I imagine someone saying after playing two of them with coin on turn 1 "please please please please please" etc"

I've had more success with buffing stealthed creatures with windfury, abusive seargeants, rockbiter etc
Reply Quote
It's one of the worst cards in the game.
Reply Quote
the only time they are useful if you can pull off the turn 3 perfect kill, but to even have the needed cards in your hand is a long shot, let alone hoping your opponent doesn't have one of the MANY ways to prevent it.
Reply Quote
I find the Dust Devil is only useful when against a class with little or weak removal. e.g. Hunters, only have Arcane shot, Explosive Trap and UTH. I don't see Arcane Shot taken that often and it would be great for a hunter to waste explosive trap or UTH on a dust devil. Or shamans who's removal spells would cripple their mana with overload nearly as much as me. Due to the fact that their early removal is not the greatest, I seem to be able to get at least 1 windfuried hit off on them if not more.
Reply Quote
Change Windfury to Charge. Shaman has enough Windfury cards as it is.
Reply Quote
It's only worth +5 Arcane Dust for disenchant for a reason! it's McDoodoo!

And I would also like to sign the petition for changing Windfury out for Charge!
Reply Quote
I think it is a card that needs to be played behind another "big" card so that the opponent has to make choice between a single target removal on the big card or "aoe" to get rid of the DD. I haven't tested out the exact card but in theory I use this idea a lot with other cards.
Reply Quote
I ran Dust Devils in my masters deck for some time. If you're against a class that doesn't have a weapon or some way to kill it turn 1/2 then it can be some quick 6 to 12 damage depending on if you went first or second and if they played a minion or not.

It is a gamble most the time to get that card in your starting hand against said class. Otherwise I used them mid/late game after I know board clears have been used or to buff my elementals quickly. Or in the mid game wait for a taunt card/totem to drop (wolfs) and play them if I know they don't have enough to get through all the taunts and kill them both. Which can in turn be a good time to bloodlust for 24 damage alone.

It isn't a 'bad' card, it has its uses but you need to experiment with it a lot.

Well what is your definition of a bad card then lol? Like every single card in Hearth Stone it has a very specific use but generally speaking it is a bad card. Here are the reasons why:

1) Efficiency
-Young Dragon Hawk costs just 1 mana and gets the Windfury ability for free, in this case you are paying 2 more mana for 2 more attack, totally not worth it. Hell, just compare it to the wind speaker which gets 2 more health+ the ability to give windfury to any target for 1 more mana and you'll see why it's bad.

2) Risk and lack of Charge
-If the damn thing had charge then yes it would be worth it however it only has 1 health and dies to everything, so what if you have taunt? Every class has some sort of 1 damage spell out there that can target it even with taunt up.

3) Comparison to other overload 2 cards
-Shaman cards with overload two tend to be the most powerful spells it has, you have cards like Lava Burst, Lightning Storm and Feral Spirit all of which can turn the tide of battle (esp with Unbound Elemental already on the board). This card has no use apart from hitting the face for 6 the turn after you use it.

4) Lava Burst
-The biggest reason not to run this card IMHO. Lava Burst costs just as much, has just as much overload but for 1 less damage allows you to deal it immediately and to anyone you like. Need 5 damage to finish off the opponent? LB! Need 5 damage to finish off the opponent WITH TAUNT? LB! Need to kill a Yeti/Drake/Auctioneer/insert 5 health minion and buff up your Unbound? LB! It's just a way better card because you don't have to set up all sorts of conditions to use it, Dust Devil needs to stay alive to do the full 6 damage and it dies right after it gets hit.
Reply Quote
01/09/2014 07:21 AMPosted by ughbog

I don't agree with this, assuming - important - shaman goes first and drops it on turn 1. Let's say your opponent coins out a minion on turn 1 in response. On Turn 2, your play is simply to ignore the minion and bash him in the face for 6. That will almost force him to trade into your dust devil, which with 3 attack kills basically all 2 drops. Sure he may then drop another minion, but on Turn 3, my deck has a lot of responses - rockbiter self and 2-drop, axe, Lightning bolt, etc. Guy has burned his coin already and taken more damage than you.

Wow. Ok, what if your opponent is a Mage and pings your dust devil instead of summoning a minion? What if your opponent is a Rogue and weapons out instead of summoning a minion? What if your opponent is a druid and claws it out instead of summoning a minion? That's 3 of the 9 classes who would destroy your Dust devil going 2nd. You have 6 other classes it MIGHT work against, however Priest have smite for 1 mana, Shaman have rock biter ofr 1 mana, Warlock have mortal coil for 1 mana, Warrior have the 1 damage enrage for 0 mana, Hunter have the 1 cost Arcane shot. All of those classes have some way of killing your minion without using a coin. If you flip it around they go first and you go second, they will actually have a bigger advantage and probably win the game after they kill your minion on their turn 2 and you can't respond to their turn 3 play due to overload.

You're also missing the point with your "dream scenario". The biggest advantage of going first is you have the tempo, you can summon bigger creatures every turn that your opponent has to always respond to. In your case though you just surrendered the tempo, so you used your t3 play to kill their turn 2 minion. Next turn they can put down t3 minion and you have to remove that now because you spent your t3 removing their minion instead of putting down a threat. You basically surrendered your advantage as the first player, except your opponent got 1 more card than you.

01/09/2014 07:21 AMPosted by ughbog
Again, don't agree. Play it on any even turn, it's only 1 overload and trades just like it was a 3/2. Sure, it's easily sniped, but so are 3/2s. And anything with windfury is hard to ignore, so it tends to draw bad trades. Four points of stats for a 1 drop is damned good.

It does have a weakness, which is getting sniped by a dirt cheap direct damage spell the same turn it comes out. Then you've lost out. But everything has a weakness.

Okay first of all, it's 2 overload not 1 overload so you got your stats mixed up. Secondly, overload is a cost, you can't say it only costs 1 mana because the total cost 3, so really you are paying 3 mana for 4 stats is that something good? You're right windfury minions tend to draw bad trades, but when the hp of the minion is just 1 point every class has some way of dealing with it cheaply, Mages, Druids and Rogues don't even have to use a card and they just made you waste 3 mana+1 card, how's that a good trade? I might even accept 6 damage for that kind of trade LMAO.
Reply Quote
Dust devil like many crash cards could have been made decent or good by just moving the stats around.

Dust Devil (1) over load 2
1/3 + wind fury. Or 2/2 + wind fury. Either of those would give it a chance to survive but do less damage.

Compare to young dragon hawk. How is 2 over load worth only +2 attack? Its not. Over load is saying this card should be worth more but you get it 1-2 turns earlier. With out the over load dust devil would be. 2mp 3/1 + wind fury. Which is inline with Thallmar Farseer. The problem is the over load of 2 on a 1mp card that can be neutralized before it gets to act is the problem. If it was a the stats I sad I would use it but over load is already a touchy subject and putting it on a minion that every class with class cards can kill with 1 mp makes it a huge liability. Not only is it a lure and will get killed you also lose turn 2.

Blizzard forgot with this card that class cards are meant to be better than neutrals and its is on par + over load. It is the worst 1mp class minion. The other 1mp are all quite good. If it is to be on par with those class cards it should be 1mp (1) over load and 3/1 windfury. Even then its a liability but not 100% kill your next turn just 75%... If to be on par with others it could be a 1mp, 2/1 + wind fury. That would make it flat out better than dragon hawk but still just as killable. Even then I dont know if many would use it. Void walker is a gold shire on buffs so why cant dust devil be a improved version of a neutral? It does not need to be much better but make it better.

Even earth elemental many people feel does not justify the 3 over load and its extremely strong and can win games. A weak minion that can kill turn 2 and have much less effect on the game is near insane to use.

The few times the AI has used dust devil turn 1 I coin and do earth shock and play argent squire and just have to laugh because they have 0 turn 2 while I play a flame tongue and hit for 3 and that puts them 2 turns behind on board making it hard to come back.

Ive only seen dust devil successfully used 1 time. It was my opponent and I was going to lose the next turn any way and didnt have a 3mp class card or it would have died to storm along with other things. That is not strategy they top decked it and i didnt have the counter in hand.
Edited by CombatMist on 3/15/2014 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]