Fireball + Pyroblast damage

Getting hit in the face by a dual fireball or a pyroblast is agony for the opposing player, the damage really should be nerfed. When I play as my shaman I always look to kill +spellpower minions but some fights is just very rng with the overpowered damage. Considering with NO spellpower, hitting a pyroblast and 2x fireballs can achieve 22 damage :p

I think Pyroblast and Fireball should be lowered by 2.

Fireball 4-5 damage
Pyroblast 8-9

/discuss
Edited by Xanthazar on 9/15/2013 11:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
how can you play fireball x 2 AND a pyro in one turn ?>
Reply Quote
2 Sorcerer's Apprentices makes each Fireball cost 2 and Pyroblast cost 6. But that is just playing dumb if you let that happen to you.
Reply Quote
Most of the fights I have go for the long duration as we are countering each other, the only thing that makes me lose is rng fireball+pyroblast stacking.
Reply Quote
Not sure how this is RNG (Random Number Generator). As a mage, I hold Fireballs and Pyroblasts for multiple turns waiting for the point where I feel I have the most + SP I can get on the board. I am not trying to be rude here, but this sounds more like an issue with your deck and control the board than it does a Random event.
Reply Quote
Having 30hp and being able to unleash 22 damage in 2 turns is a massive problem. You can't counter spells unless you have some fancy secret. They go straight over taunt minions.

As a mage, you can play mostly defensive sweeping up minions in till you get 2 fireballs/pyroblast and pretty much kill off someone from the little niggle damage at the first half of the fight.

It's RNG or just RANDOM if you want to be fancy because you're just waiting for your heavy hitting spells and then WHAM! Not mentioning Arcane Intellect which is extremely overpowered.
Reply Quote
What I am saying is that to play a mage, yes, there is some luck of the draw and that is random, but most of it comes down to holding cards back and waiting. That isn't random, it is planning. And to be fair, you would have had at least 8 turns (Need 8 mana for Pyroblast.) to mount an offensive. Each deck is capable of taking down all of the others 50% of the time. What type of deck do you play and maybe we can help you build a defense style.
Reply Quote
09/15/2013 11:44 AMPosted by Xanthazar
very rng

09/15/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Xanthazar
rng

09/15/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Xanthazar
It's RNG or just RANDOM

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Reply Quote
Anybody want a peanut?
Reply Quote
So what are you doing while this mage has apparently still managed to do 8 damage to you while playing 3 cards down (since he's holding those back) and waiting for turn 8?

If a mage has the kind of board control needed to do 8 damage to you, all while playing with 3 cards less, you were losing the game anyway, and he just did you a favor by ending it a little quicker.
Reply Quote
Mages probably have the best control in the game with the best burst, so your point is invalid. Firemane, computer code is all 1 and 0, random generated number. It's random draw of cards, I don't think you get my point, but troll on.
Reply Quote
Just to add, most of the times I'm winning the fight, controlling the board. But then right at the end he draws a fireball to go on top of the one he's been holding. Game over.
Reply Quote
I am fine with the dmg and all, but I think they should limit the amount of Fireballs/Pyroblasts to 2 in arena, I just got killed by a mage with 3 - 4 fireballs today... xD
Reply Quote
09/17/2013 03:32 AMPosted by Xanthazar
Mages probably have the best control in the game with the best burst, so your point is invalid. Firemane, computer code is all 1 and 0, random generated number. It's random draw of cards, I don't think you get my point, but troll on.

I get your point just fine. You're saying that when you lose to a mage, it has nothing to do with the mage player's skill, or anything you did wrong. You're saying they just got lucky enough to draw an "overpowered" card at the right time, and that won the match for them despite your superior play.

Call it a troll if you want, but my point was simply this: you're wrong.
Reply Quote
okay, but anything that can go over taunt and inflict that amount of damage will be nerfed. Don't be surprised when Blizzard do just that, then you will be wrong. :p
Reply Quote
09/17/2013 10:42 AMPosted by Xanthazar
okay, but anything that can go over taunt and inflict that amount of damage will be nerfed. Don't be surprised when Blizzard do just that, then you will be wrong. :p

Perhaps, but that's a different point than whether losing to a mage is solely up to the random number generator, as you seemed to be stating.

As to whether Fireball and Pyroblast are OP, well, that's debateable too. Pyro hits very hard, but also costs 8 mana and is a liability if drawn early. Also, it has only one purpose and is a one-time use. It's not the most flexible card in the game. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but it's not an "I win" button.

Fireball seems about right at 6 baseline damage for 4 mana. If they nerfed the damage they'd also likely reduce the cost, which just makes it a Frostbolt without the freeze.
Reply Quote

Their burst is their control. If you save your burn to damage the player, you don't have any to control the board.

09/17/2013 03:34 AMPosted by Xanthazar
Just to add, most of the times I'm winning the fight, controlling the board. But then right at the end he draws a fireball to go on top of the one he's been holding. Game over.

If he can kill you with 2 fireballs, you were not controlling the board because he did 18 damage to you already.

09/17/2013 10:42 AMPosted by Xanthazar

This game is literally filled with burn spells, mage simply has more choices and some harder hitting ones (but not necessarily more powerful, druid has incredible good burn spells as well, and rogue has incredibly good control in general). I wouldn't hold my breath on these nerfs, you could always try playing better instead.
Reply Quote
You can only be hit by a spell once. How many minions in the game hit that hard? Plenty, and not only do they hit that hard, but you can buff, heal, and of course use them more than once (for only the initial mana cost). The benefits of spells is that they ignore taunt the con is that you can only use them once.
Reply Quote

Welcome to TCGs :)
Reply Quote
So, just to sum up, Mages control the board in order to win by blasting you with big spells. This is frustrating because you want to play minions vs minions and feel cheated when mages clear your minions before you can use them. You feel that the cards they get are random and thus somehow, mages have an unfair advantage at manipulating the numbers to deal more damage to you.

Here is the simple, and unfortunate truth: most people who play mages are tacticians. They are people who like to think outside the box, have multiple solutions to a problem and, if they could, would not have a minion in their deck. This is not to say those types of people are not playing other classes, just that the mage class tends to attract those types of people, myself included. In MtG, I played Blue/Black creatureless decks that made you damage yourself and controlled the board. I do the same thing here, except I have to use minions.

As far as randomness goes, we each play a 30 card deck. I count my cards as they go by and figure probabilities constantly of getting the card I want or need. I build my deck to ensure that 75-85% of the time, I am drawing only cards I can play in every situation. I assume most people who play mages do the same.

I could be wrong and maybe there is some ghost in the machine that causes mages to draw exactly the right card and they never have to think about what they are doing. I doubt this, but it could be possible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]