Youthful Brewmaster + Shadow Madness...

(Locked)

OMFG this combo is amazing.
You're talking about spending 6 mana to put a minion in your hand with an attack no greater than 3, which you then have to spend mana to put out on your next turn.

Let's take an enemy Shieldmasta for example, and assume you're making the play early enough for it to matter (i.e. as soon as you have enough mana to pull it off).

You play Shadow Madness for 4, Brew for 2, and you're done. On the next turn you spend 4 mana to put down the Shieldmasta. You've spent 10 mana and two turns to remove an enemy minion and put a 3/2 and a 3/5 tank on the board.

Given the same scenario, you could SW:P for 2 mana, drop your own Shieldmasta for 4, and play up to a 4 mana minion the next turn to match the previous example for cost.

The SM/Brew combo gives you a card advantage of exactly one over the latter example, and leaves you in a weaker board position at equal mana spent.

That's not bad, but i'd hardly call it amazing.
You're talking about spending 6 mana to put a minion in your hand with an attack no greater than 3, which you then have to spend mana to put out on your next turn.

Let's take an enemy Shieldmasta for example, and assume you're making the play early enough for it to matter (i.e. as soon as you have enough mana to pull it off).

You play Shadow Madness for 4, Brew for 2, and you're done. On the next turn you spend 4 mana to put down the Shieldmasta. You've spent 10 mana and two turns to remove an enemy minion and put a 3/2 and a 3/5 tank on the board.

Given the same scenario, you could SW:P for 2 mana, drop your own Shieldmasta for 4, and play up to a 4 mana minion the next turn to match the previous example for cost.

The SM/Brew combo gives you a card advantage of exactly one over the latter example, and leaves you in a weaker board position at equal mana spent.

That's not bad, but i'd hardly call it amazing.

You are forgetting that you can attack with the thing you use shadow madness on.
You use Shadow Madness, kill something with it, brewmaster it into your hand...
or...
You use Shadow Madness and kill both it and the minion that you attack with and save your brewmaster for something else.
You get 2 for one.
Edited by Glow7 on 9/15/2013 12:53 PM PDT
You are forgetting that you can attack with the thing you use shadow madness on.
You use Shadow Madness, kill something with it, brewmaster it into your hand...
or...
You use Shadow Madness and kill both it and the minion that you attack with and save your brewmaster for something else.
You get 2 for one.

Wasn't forgetting anything. The 3 attack limit on your Shadow Madness target just greatly limits what you can do with the creature you control.

The traditional use of Shadow Madness is to control an enemy minion and suicide it into another enemy minion, which is what you just described in your second example. It's a pretty efficient way to get rid of enemy minions, and is more precise than similar cards like Multishot. Shadow Madness is a solid card that has a place in virtually any Priest deck.

I just don't think the combination of Shadow Madness and Youthful Brewmaster is anything to write home about. In a perfect situation where you can take something like a Shieldmasta and eliminate a Cleric or Ghoul or similarly threatening 3 HP minion before returning it to your hand, it's great. 9 times out of 10 you won't have an opportunity to make a play like that.

If you have Brews in your deck anyway, right on. I just wouldn't add them purely to make this combo work.
http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/minion?filter-attack-val=3&filter-attack-op=5

steals the majority of those (obviously van cleef won't by 3 or lower, but if you live the turn he attacks, silence, steal, then play him, same with drake)

my favorite play was stealing al'akir, killing 2 totems, bringing him back to hand, killing more creatures and then bringing him back again with another panda.

this combo is a huge tempo breaker against most opponents. often trading 2 for 1, leaving a 3/2 on the field (or a 5/4 if you go with the other panda) and allowing you to play the creature the next turn disrupts most gameplans.

taking shieldmasta is not the most powerful play, though it is one of the stronger and more common ones. what you steal depends on your opponent's deck and the combo either works or doesnt depending on how your opponent is playing. stealing lightwells/clerics from priests, QA/mana adict from rogues. take all the best totems from shaman (flametongue, mana tide, even the healing one if you want to)

and there's nothing more satisfying that forcing your opponent to use removal on one of their own creatures.
Steal a Stampeding Kodo. Kill one of their creatures, bounce the surviving 5 toughness Kodo. Recast it from hand, instantly killing another creature. 3:1.
- Hearthstone
12/01/2013 06:00 PMPosted by Xubnormal
Steal a Stampeding Kodo. Kill one of their creatures, bounce the surviving 5 toughness Kodo. Recast it from hand, instantly killing another creature. 3:1.

Right idea, but that's actually 4:1
I just try this combo today,
But I found that I can't return the minion stole by Shadow Madness to my hand.
The minion became a card and just hold on the background of the field after I used Youthful Brewmaster.
Im not sure it was a bug, didnt anyone tried and return the card to your hand successfully?
It is not bugged. I tried today the combo in arena. I stole al- akir using shadow madness and then return it to my hand using brewmaster. :)
The next turn I was able to put al- akir in the field and finished the game
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: Folks, please be mindful of the date on a thread and do not resurrect/bump it if it is fairly old. If you wish provide feedback on a topic or participate in a discussion create your own or find one that is recent. This thread will now be locked.
Edited by Freidamarian on 7/25/2014 6:53 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]