Heroes of the storm FAQ

- Technical Support
This thread is outdated but will be updated after Blizzcon

Heroes of the storm FAQ (Fan made)
Please be aware that the game is still in alpha and everything you see is subject to change!

Section I: General Information
How much does the game cost?
The game is free to play but you can support the game with micro transactions like hero skins and mounts.

When will the game be released or when will beta start?
Currently the game is in alpha and there isn't a timeframe for release or for beta and is still in alpha.

How do I get an invite to the game?
Currently the game is in Alpha so your chances of getting invited are really low because of the amount of players signing up and the random chance of getting invited. But if you want to get an invite currently the only way would be to go to your account management page on the website and opt in through the beta profile settings feature in the Games & Codes menu. For more information go here
http://www.heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/news/13290651/the-heroes-of-the-storm-technical-alpha-is-now-live

NOTE: There are no keys to get invited to alpha currently! So if someone is trying to give/sell/advertise for one it is a scam!

Do I get anything for testing the alpha/beta?
Yes, if you test out the real money store then you will get the wonderbillie mount.
http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/15951023/the-calm-before-the-storm-has-passed-10-7-2014

Will there be an open beta?
There has been no official announcement on this that I have seen and if there is one it will be far far away. I would assume the answer would be yes. But that is just my personal opinion judging from what Blizzard did with Hearthstone. If they do have one it will be in the later stages of beta.

Will Blizzard be making this game into an esport?
"Whether the game will have a competitive esports scene or not will be up to the players. It's an organic process, and they're trying to create something with all the tools for esports, such as observer mode, replays and so on."
Source: http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/12/18/heroes-of-the-storm-developer-qanda-highlights/
For more information on what blizzard has said about this game and esports visit that link and go to the
"Community and eSports” section

Where do I buy items?/Will Blizzard put items into the game?
Short answer: No or rather it is very unlikely. Blizzard is trying to make their own game rather than a reskinned version of another game that is already out.
Long Answer: Blizzard implemented a talent system to act as items while maintaining build diversity and keeping the game unique.
Also see http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/topic/12090869473#2

Will Blizzard be adding more heroes to the game?
Yes! Blizzard plans to be adding more and more heroes throughout the life of the game. They will also be making new maps to keep the meta/game new and interesting. They will also be including a map editor you can use to make your own maps and custom content.

Are all the heroes unlocked like Dota?
No. You will unlock heroes through earning in game gold that you will spend on heroes to unlock. You can use money to unlock the heroes faster. (For example let’s say you really want to play Nova and Diablo so you spend money to unlock them both immediately rather then wait.)

How can I earn gold?
It’s quite simple really all you have to do is play the game! You earn gold through leveling up and through daily quests. You earn XP for every game you play and get bonus xp for how well you played and playing with friends. You also gain gold for wins or losses.

Thanks to augustus for his information

What is the level cap?
Yes it is currently set to level 40, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this change.

Will Blizzard release hero packs/bundles to unlock with real money?
This has already been implemented and is currently in the ingame shop. If you want more information check out http://www.heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/news/13789935/bundle-packs-now-available-in-heroes-of-the-storm

Why isn't x, y, or z feature in the game yet? Why can't I play the game yet?
The game is still in alpha and things are changing constantly from patch to patch. I'm sure the Devs are working on it and it will be in the game when it is ready! Just because something isn't in the game yet doesn't mean they aren't working on it! Likewise just because you haven't been invited yet doesn't mean you won't be or that Blizzard doesn't want you to be in the alpha! Patience is a virute! :D

Will there be account/progress wipes?
There are no more planned account wipes but that does not mean it's impossible but extremely unlikely. All purchases done with real money are now permanent.
Edited by KillerofGods on 10/16/2014 3:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
What differentiates this from other mobas?
  • Gold
    Heroes is trying to break away from the typical moba genre. So much so it should almost be put in a different genre. One of the first things you may notice is there is no more items or gold in the game. As such there is no need to last hit minions. Instead they give you talent points as you level up that augment your hero and abilities.
  • Team levels
    There is no more individual levels instead there are team levels. All the experience you earn as a team goes to your global experience pool until your team levels up.It also helps new players who are new to this type of game not fall behind. But just because of these changes doesn't mean there will never be games where one team just dominates. If a team is skilled they can easily pick apart teams that aren't as skilled.
  • PvP + PvE content
    The game focuses a lot more on PvE content than most mobas. People who do the PvE content are going to be at a huge advantage to those that don't do them, however they do not guarantee you a win. For example the maps are designed around doing the unique objectives. A map called Dragon Shire possesses a Dragon Altar which a team can take over to turn a hero into the Dragon Knight hero which has great lane pushing abilities. Another example of the PvE are the mercenaries which upon defeated in battle they can be "hired" to fight for your team and help push lanes.
  • Faster games
    With all the changes to the game the matches are much faster and average about 20 minutes. You spend less time laning and more time fighting in team battles and Killing heroes while trying to get critical PvE content.

• There are several other unique changes blizzard is doing to this game but the ones listed above are the core changes and most game changing.

Section II: Common Concerns

Is there a Non-Disclosure Agreement?
    Currently there is no Non-Disclosure Agreement and you are allowed to stream, give feedback, and spread the word about the game as you wish.

Who is allowed in the Alpha currently?
    Currently the majority of the invites are only being sent out to players from the United States only, with few exceptions. Popular streamers and community sites got invited in very early in to help everyone get excited about heroes and hear more about regardless of your region.
    Sources:
    http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/topic/12673847408?page=1#6
    http://www.heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/news/12999313

If it isn't broke why change it? Why isn't this game more like X game?
    Blizzard is trying to make this game unique and is trying to appeal to old and new crowds of people. Some may prefer one game and some the other. As such it all just comes down to personal preference on which one you prefer, but there is no reason why you can't play both!

Will there be a system to help prevent afkers?
    There isn't a system implemented for this currently but blizzard is still discussing what steps they would like to take to deal with these sorts of player issues.
    http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/topic/12506492012#11

Is smart casting in the game? What about keybindings?
    Currently the answer is no... but the good news is that these are planned features and will be implemented eventually.
    http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/topic/12089428825#4

Section III: Additional information
  • REQUESTS FOR ALPHA ACCESS & KEYS - PLEASE READ!
    http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/topic/12092479166
  • KNOWN ISSUES ALPHA 2.0 (UPDATED 4/23/14)
    http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/topic/12082048097
  • TECHNICAL SUPPORT FORUM
    http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/forum/13268291/
  • Again please be aware that the game is still in alpha and everything you see is subject to change!
    Feel free to post suggestions you think I may have missed. I would be happy to include it in the OP. We should all strive to make this community the best that we can and help new people be introduced to the game!

I do not have Alpha and have been talking to those who have been testing it. I would also like to thank Leviathan for his help on this thread and has been a great source of info about this game! :D
    Edited by KillerofGods on 4/28/2014 2:51 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    03/16/2014 10:29 PMPosted by KillerofGods
    Reserved.

PS: I do not have Alpha and have been resorting to watching streams for some future fuestions that I will be posting.

I was going to say lucky guy with an alpha.

We are going to have to play when we get in.
    Edited by Reno on 3/16/2014 10:31 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    - Technical Support
    03/16/2014 10:30 PMPosted by Reno
    03/16/2014 10:29 PMPosted by KillerofGods
    Reserved.

PS: I do not have Alpha and have been resorting to watching streams for some future fuestions that I will be posting.

I was going to say lucky guy with an alpha.

We are going to have to play when we get in.

Haha nice to see you on the forums Reno! I would love to play some games! Yeah most of these questions seem basic but I'm hoping it will help anybody not already following the game and just hearing about it. I have been watching
    http://www.twitch.tv/elvinemod

He has been streaming Heroes everyday and is really nice and you can ask him any questions and he would be more than happy to answer them.

PS: Do you play hearthstone? We can play there if you want/SC2/D3 I'm KillerofGods#1993 if you want to add me.
    Reply Quote
    03/16/2014 10:37 PMPosted by KillerofGods
    PS: Do you play hearthstone? We can play there if you want/SC2/D3 I'm KillerofGods#1993 if you want to add me.

I do. I thought I already had you added but I will give a quick look.

I have you added.

Also just got to wait patiently for the beta but so far I do like the look of the games. I was watching Idra stream for a bit. Looked like fun
    Edited by Reno on 3/16/2014 10:42 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    According to a guy on Reddit, apparently you only earn gold through leveling up and daily quests right now.

However, he also says that there's no level cap; you just level up forever.

Ekop just reached level 21, earning 800 gold for the level up. So the max level might be a lot higher than 20.

It is very high (pretty much unreachable). You will keep leveling up and getting gold.

What I don't know right now, however, is whether or not the experience needed for levels post 20 keeps increasing or if it stays at a constant.
    Reply Quote
    Are skins/mounts unlockable or real currency only? And if unlockable at which level.
    There are quests for heroes past 20 I think, is it for each hero individually or general role support/healer/tank
    Edited by Lizzard on 3/17/2014 2:32 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    - Technical Support
    03/17/2014 02:32 AMPosted by Lizzard
    Are skins/mounts unlockable or real currency only? And if unlockable at which level.
    There are quests for heroes past 20 I think, is it for each hero individually or general role support/healer/tank

No there aren't any free mounts (someone feel free to correct me) but I'm pretty sure you can change the default mounts colors.

And the hero quests I have seen so far have been for each hero and not as a role. (Like use X ability 20 times on a hero.)
    Reply Quote
    - Technical Support
    Updated the second reserved post. If you feel like I got something wrong feel free to correct me or if you have anything you want to add let me know!
    Reply Quote
    - Technical Support
    03/17/2014 12:15 AMPosted by Augustus
    According to a guy on Reddit, apparently you only earn gold through leveling up and daily quests right now.

Updating the OP now. (I forgot to do so >.<)

Also if anyone has any ideas to help me improve the post please include it.

If anyone has any questions at all I will do my best to try to find out the answer. Anything to help people join this new community and looking to get more involved.
    Reply Quote
    Okay, now I really wish I had access.

Dear Blizzard,

As leader of my people, I would like to inform you that not giving me an alpha key is an act of war against all Probes.

Sincerely,
    Probe Emperor
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Technical Support
    Nice work!
    Reply Quote
    MVP - Technical Support
    Great post Killer! Thanks for the consolidated info.

I plan to hit Heroes head on at full speed. I'll always be down for a game.
    Reply Quote
    - Technical Support
    03/18/2014 04:18 PMPosted by mg42irv
    Sincerely,
    Probe Emperor

Hmm that sounds strangely familiar?

03/18/2014 05:25 PMPosted by Archer
    Nice work!

Thanks ♥

03/18/2014 06:28 PMPosted by Leviathan
    Great post Killer! Thanks for the consolidated info.

I plan to hit Heroes head on at full speed. I'll always be down for a game.

Same here! That makes 3 people including me (assuming we all get invited.) So we just need two more! Maybe Archer/the probe emperor would be interested in joining. Or we can try to get a fresh face from these forums in the group!
    ------------------------------------
    Will be updating the OP in a sec when I remember what I was gonna update it with last night >.<

Edit: Oh and thanks for the bumps! Every little bit of help/encouragement helps!
    Edited by KillerofGods on 3/19/2014 3:23 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    03/19/2014 03:04 PMPosted by KillerofGods

It is a short story of how I ended up with THIS name.

Once upon a time...

I don't even know what this name is for. I remember that I used it for something, but not for what.

The end.
    Reply Quote
    - Technical Support
    03/19/2014 03:49 PMPosted by mg42irv
    03/19/2014 03:04 PMPosted by KillerofGods

Once upon a time...

I don't even know what this name is for. I remember that I used it for something, but not for what.

The end.

That's an interesting story. A bit more interesting then how I got this name. I can tell you it someday.
    Reply Quote
    03/22/2014 03:14 PMPosted by KillerofGods
    03/19/2014 03:49 PMPosted by mg42irv

Once upon a time...

The end.

That's an interesting story. A bit more interesting then how I got this name. I can tell you it someday.

These forums use some generic name, I believe. Not the one you make for SCII or WoW or Diablo III but some generic one...

For some reason, I made that one different from my SCII name.

03/16/2014 10:28 PMPosted by KillerofGods
    Will Blizzard be adding more heroes to the game?
    Yes! Blizzard plans to be adding more and more heroes throughout the life of the game. They will also be making new maps to keep the meta/game new and interesting. They will also be including a map editor you can use to make your own maps and custom content.

Leroy Jenkins should be a hero.
    Reply Quote

imls reached lvl 40 already and there's no more lvls. He still earns exp but I don't know about the gold,haven't been watching for long time
    Reply Quote
    - Technical Support
    03/23/2014 06:27 AMPosted by Lizzard

imls reached lvl 40 already and there's no more lvls. He still earns exp but I don't know about the gold,haven't been watching for long time

Thanks for the info ♥, keep it coming!
    Reply Quote
    I would imagine that the basic horse mount would be the base mount that everyone gets for free, otherwise having to pay for such a feature doesn't make sense and would turn off a lot of people.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]