Tech Alpha Balance Update #1 – Mar. 25, 2014

(Locked)

Community Manager
Earlier today, we brought the Heroes of the Storm Technical Alpha service down in order to refresh the weekly free hero rotation and make the balance changes listed below. Thank you for all the great feedback you’ve provided during alpha testing thus far. Now that these changes are live, we hope you’ll try them out in-game and share your input with us soon!

General

Mercenaries
  • Knights
    • Knight Health reduced by 20%
    • Time between Knight and Sorcerer attacks increased from 1.0 to 1.25

Heroes

General
  • Focused Attack talent bonus to Basic Attack damage increased from +30% to +50%

Abathur
  • Symbiote no longer persists during a killed Hero’s post-death state (Uther/Tyrael)
  • Fixed a bug which granted Hero clones created by Ultimate Evolution more Health and damage than intended.

Gazlowe
  • Fixed a bug which unintentionally granted increased damage for all abilities while in Robo-Goblin form.

Raynor
  • Hyperion duration reduced from 15 to 12 seconds
  • Hyperion volley damage gain per level decreased from 24 to 20

Sgt. Hammer
  • Base vision radius increased by 2

Uther
  • Divine Storm cooldown increased from 45 to 70 seconds
  • Hurricane talent
    • Bonus stun duration removed
    • Now decreases Divine Storm cooldown from 70 to 50 seconds

• Eternal Devotion
    • Base duration increased from 7 to 10 seconds
    • Holy Devotion talent no longer increases Eternal Devotion duration

• Hammer of Justice damage gain per level decreased from 14 to 10
  • The Regeneration Master talent has been replaced with Path of the Wizard
  • Witch Doctor
    • Voodoo Ritual changed from 20 +1 Health per level and 5 Mana restored to 1% Health and Mana restored.
    • Gargantuan Health increased from 1000 + 100 per level to 1400 +140 per level
    Edited by Spyrian on 4/1/2014 9:53 AM PDT
    MVP - World of Warcraft
    Overall I like the changes however I believe Uther may have been hit too hard by the nerf bat. Tassadar was already a stronger support hero in most situations and was left unchanged (for the time being at least). The ghost form nerf was certainly warranted, and the regen talent change is great, but I think he would have been ok without the other nerfs.
    Edited by Eldacar on 3/25/2014 11:44 AM PDT
    No news on the account/dailies not progressing? Haven't earned gold in a couple of weeks other than leveling hero. Not complaining, just curious, thanks!
    03/25/2014 11:42 AMPosted by Eldacar
    Overall I like the changes however I believe Uther may have been hit too hard by the nerf bat. Tassadar was already a stronger support hero in most situations and was left unchanged (for the time being at least). The ghost form nerf was certainly warranted, and the regen talent change is great, but I think he would have been ok without the other nerfs.

I feel like the Hammer of Justice nerf might have been a bit unnecessary, but the other nerfs were all definitely warranted. Divine Storm's base cooldown was waaay too low (and at Level 20, you became absolutely ridiculous). You would have to deal with it in pretty much every fight (major and minor) past Level 12-13, since Uther could just Divine Storm in ghost form with no penalty; the skill would pretty much be ready again by the time he spawned and left base. Considering how strong of a spell it is, it was kind of silly for it to have such a low cooldown from Level 10.

That said, it's really hard to determine how drastically the changes will impact Uther until we see them in action.
    Edited by Togedude on 3/25/2014 12:32 PM PDT

I agree with this, we cannot forget E.T.C. has a very long stun, 4 seconds. So the upgraded 3 second stun from "Hurricane" isn't that bad in reality. Should this mean we will see a nerf to "Mosh Pit" as well? "Ghost form" nerf was needed, but the rest I don't think so. Great change to the tier 1 talent though for early mana issues if you didn't take "Hammer of the Lightbringer"

As for the Hyperion nerf, I think it wasn't necessary due to the fact it's very easy to move out of. Though that being said, being able to use it and walk away on say a low health Palace is very powerful.
    Edited by Elvine on 3/25/2014 2:56 PM PDT
    Ghost form nerf was called for, but everything else seems a bit steep.
    Community Manager
    03/25/2014 11:47 AMPosted by Slicker
    No news on the account/dailies not progressing? Haven't earned gold in a couple of weeks other than leveling hero. Not complaining, just curious, thanks!

Hey Slicker, no updates to give on this just yet, but we're definitely aware of the issues surrounding daily quest progress and a fix will be coming with a future update. Thanks for being patient on this one, I know it's kind of frustrating to see quests get stuck like that. We're working on it :)
    Hyperion can be powerful against enemy Altars in certain situations. I won a game, that baffled me. I simply summoned Hyperion to attack some players and out of the blue I see the screen center at the altar. I didn't see any friendly players nearby. So I assumed the Battlecruiser lasted long enough that it reached the altar.
    Edited by Blizzplanet on 3/25/2014 12:12 PM PDT
    All the Uther nerfs were warranted. Uther in the last patch was an unstoppable healing/damage machine that was dunking people with his Ult in every team fight. He's still going to be really good in this upcoming patch, just without the insane ghost time + insta win ult at 20.

Also, comparing mosh pit to pre-nerf hurricane is nothing short of silliness. Mosh Pit can be directly hard countered by any hero with a pull/knockback/stun avoiding the initial Mosh and interrupting ETC's cast. Hurricane was an instant cast 3s stun with a far bigger radius and no effective counter. Gameplay will evolve to make landing good mosh pit's difficult in a way that it never could have evolved against pre-nerf hurricane.
    Surprised there's no update about heroes being able to teleport past enemy walls but not being able to teleport back OUT.
    03/25/2014 12:39 PMPosted by intrinsc
    Surprised there's no update about heroes being able to teleport past enemy walls but not being able to teleport back OUT.

Oh I have experienced that. Few times, but it happens.
    All of these changes make sense and sound really good. Knights really were a little too strong in general and some Uther changes were probably needed. I didn't think we were too concerned about that kind of balance at this point though.
    I really like the Witch Doctor changes though. Before, the other ult was just so much better but the Gargantuan just how so much health now, could be useful in some situations now instead of just being ignored altogether.
    And I feel like his passive was just weak in general. This new change should be perfect :D
    Edited by Penguin on 3/25/2014 1:04 PM PDT
    Thank goodness that Uther nerfs came in. I do like how there isn't much hesitation to buff certain heroes (Sgt Hammer) as well as certain aspects of heroes (Gargantuan vs. Ravenous Spirit). Would've liked to see some small buffs come in for Arthas, and I hope that Sgt. Hammer isn't done being looked at. Her siege mode is too much risk for not enough reward at the moment.

Good changes overall though! Excited to see how the game moves forward from this point.
    As noted Mosh Pit is channeled and can be interrupted. Divine Storm is instant so I think the balance struck is justified.
    True, Mosh Pit is channeled. I was just thinking about the stun duration.
    03/25/2014 09:27 AMPosted by Spyrian
    Eternal Devotion
    Base duration increased from 7 to 10 seconds
    Holy Devotion talent no longer increases Eternal Devotion duration

This is the only thing above that I'm not sure about, but I'm willing to give it a try. In actuality it's a 4 second nerf on his Heroic Trait, since it was basically mandatory before, in which case, it's possible for him to still be able to pick off carries in this form. I still believe he should have a health bar so he can be controlled and/or killed in that form, but we'll see where it goes.

As to the above, there was no counterplay to Uther's Divine Storm + Hurricane, it literally hit the range of a fort, was instant and stunned for 3 seconds. Compare that to ETC who has a channel time before the cast and is able to be interrupted by CC or knockback/pull.

I think the hyperion nerf is warranted and not overkill, it's still going to zone players for 12 seconds, and the optimal counter is to run through it. It was also doing rediculous damage to structures when there was nothing else around.

And finally, a nice nerf to knights, I still think they are super powerful, potentially even more powerful than the grave golem still. Potentially look at the aura the sorcerer gives because it's a pretty significant buff right now.

Edit: Forgot about focused attack. It was a 6% damage upgrade, now a 8.3% damage upgrade. Because it shares a tier with some really good talents, I still don't think it's going to be used very often. Vampiric Assault is just too good for sustain, and there's usually hero specific talents that are amazing in that tier (poison, etc.). I don't think it will be widely used, but I'll be giving it a shot.
    Edited by Squishei on 3/25/2014 2:46 PM PDT
    I really don't under

03/25/2014 11:53 AMPosted by Elvine

I agree with this, we cannot forget E.T.C. has a very long stun, 4 seconds. So the upgraded 3 second stun from "Hurricane" isn't that bad in reality. Should this mean we will see a nerf to "Mosh Pit" as well? "Ghost form" nerf was needed, but the rest I don't think so. Great change to the tier 1 talent though for early mana issues if you didn't take "Hammer of the Lightbringer"

You realize ETC's stun is channeled and Divine Storm is not, right?

Tassadar is a strong hero. That really has nothing to do with this though. In reality, this nerf to Uther isn't all that big. It takes out some of the imbalance of Eternal Devotion (but people will now pick Cleanse instead at lv 7 and he will still be an incredible support hero just in a different way) and makes Divine Storm usage more selective.

But before level 20, Uther is going to do the exact same thing in team fights that he did before. He will still have the same stun duration Divine Storm and he will still only use it once in a fight unless he dies.

To me, Eternal Devotion is just a bad idea. It makes things counterintuitive. Does it really make sense that when a team kills an Uther in a team fight it could end up being BAD for them because he can go stun, CC, and heal again without being CC'able himself? To me it doesn't.
    I actually want to call out the Knights changes. I actually like this balance decision, as it doesn't take away how dangerous they are. If you have a team to take them, they should go fast. but it shouldn't be easy at all for 1-2 to take them. Increased damage is pretty good imo.

What I am curious about is if there are some talks to the camps aggro range. For example, it seems the siege giants can be kited all day, however when me or my team tries to kit the Golem a bit, he will reset after too much.

Thoughts?
    03/25/2014 09:24 PMPosted by Harlequin
    I actually want to call out the Knights changes. I actually like this balance decision, as it doesn't take away how dangerous they are. If you have a team to take them, they should go fast. but it shouldn't be easy at all for 1-2 to take them. Increased damage is pretty good imo.

What I am curious about is if there are some talks to the camps aggro range. For example, it seems the siege giants can be kited all day, however when me or my team tries to kit the Golem a bit, he will reset after too much.

Thoughts?

+1 on this. I've seen a few people get pretty early mercs by kiting. I'd like to see some form of aggro reset, or movement speed increase to prevent this.
    I think an ETC ult nerf may be warranted, but an argument can be made that compensation should be paired with the nerf. The most common argument that I hear among the community on this issue is that the duration of mosh pit could be nerfed some, but that a reticle showing the casting range, before casting would also benefit players significantly.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]