Tech Alpha Account Wipe Incoming on April 15, 2014

(Locked)

Community Manager
On Tuesday, April 15, we’ll be performing our first Technical Alpha Account Wipe. Here’s what you need to know:

For this initial account wipe, we will not be resetting or refunding any real-money purchases you’ve made thus far during Tech Alpha testing. Please note that we do plan to reset real-money purchases with future scheduled account wipes, just not this time.

Aside from purchases you’ve made with real-money thus far, your account will essentially be starting from scratch following the wipe. Here’s exactly what we’re doing:
  • Your account will start at Level 1, and all experience points, as well as leveling system and quest progress will be reset.
  • All in-game Gold you’ve earned, as well as purchases made using Gold, will be wiped clean.

We understand it can be tough to start over, so we’ve got a few rewards to show our appreciation for your dedication during Tech Alpha testing thus far. Here’s what you’ll receive following next week’s account wipe:
  • Starting after the wipe on Tuesday, April 15, all players will gain access to every single hero until Thursday, April 17 at 3:00 p.m. PDT.
  • Based on your progress with the leveling system prior to the wipe, you’ll receive a nice chunk of in-game Gold that we’re hoping you’ll use to try out a few new heroes!
    • Levels 1 – 19: 10,000 Gold
    • Levels 20 – 39: 30,000 Gold
    • Level 40: 30,000 Gold and an exclusive Heroes of the Storm lanyard.

We’ve received a ton of great feedback, playtest data, and bug reports over the past few weeks, and we hope you’re having a blast with Heroes. As always, thank you very much for participating in our Tech Alpha and sharing your thoughts with us.

See you in the queue!
Edited by Spyrian on 4/11/2014 4:24 PM PDT
Giving players in-game currency back, access to the entire hero pool briefly, and an IRL reward for players that reached the level cap are all unexpected perks to the reset. Thanks for considering all of the players who have put a ton of their time into this game
Edited by BkxReaper201 on 4/11/2014 4:53 PM PDT
Wait...so If we spent real money we won't be compensated at all?!
04/11/2014 05:30 PMPosted by PokerPlate

Aside from purchases you’ve made with real-money thus far, your account will essentially be starting from scratch following the wipe.

You'll be able to keep all purchases you've made with real money, including skins and heroes. However, if you bought a skin for a hero you purchased with gold, I believe you'll have to repurchase the hero to use it when that hero is not free.
04/11/2014 05:38 PMPosted by Mesalah

Aside from purchases you’ve made with real-money thus far, your account will essentially be starting from scratch following the wipe.

You'll be able to keep all purchases you've made with real money, including skins and heroes. However, if you bought a skin for a hero you purchased with gold, I believe you'll have to repurchase the hero to use it when that hero is not free.

At least they don't have to handle the issue of refunding tax incurred.
04/11/2014 05:38 PMPosted by Mesalah

Thank you very much for clearing this up. I am tired and totally misread this.
So Tuesday through Thursday will be the game as it should be? With the heroes free to play? Please learn from this experiment and make it so for the release.
WoW! What a nice surprise. Thats how you do a reset...
This is really awesome. Thank you blizzard!
This is a pretty clever way to keep us engaged. Even dedicated testers can start to feel fatigue after progress wipes and these kinds of incentives can go a long way in helping to stave that off (not to mention fostering some good will).
I'm really looking forward to this lanyard lol
It mentions trying out new heroes, does this mean they are adding on a set or not? If not, should we expect hero additions in the Alpha or is this a set pool that we are dealing with till the Beta?
Community Manager
04/12/2014 12:31 PMPosted by Skarl
It mentions trying out new heroes, does this mean they are adding on a set or not? If not, should we expect hero additions in the Alpha or is this a set pool that we are dealing with till the Beta?

You can definitely expect the current hero pool to expand as alpha continues :)
Nice rewards! Do you also ship the lanyards to European players? I hit level 40 yesterday and am playing from Germany.
04/12/2014 12:31 PMPosted by Skarl

It was announced on day 2 of PAX that Li Li and Brightwing will both be available on the Thursday, the week of the wipe.
Another question, I have had some issues with the Daily Quest bug, and I had a thought that wiping the account might fix it. Is that one of the reasons for the wipe as well?

Also, I have met a bunch of people during the Alpha, will the wipe affect the friends list?
Edited by Skarl on 4/14/2014 1:04 PM PDT
04/13/2014 07:38 PMPosted by Skarl
Another question, I have had some issues with the Daily Quest bug, and I had a thought that wiping the account might fix it. Is that one of the reasons for the wipe as well?

Could be! I expect there will be a lot of bug fixes and balance tweaks among the new features and characters. Definitely looking forward to some patch notes tomorrow...
Skarl has a very good point - with the emphasis on teamwork and finding friends to play HotS with, if our in-game friends lists could remain intact that would keep a number of people playing that don't feel like starting over in all their relationships as well as in-game progress.

Great after-wipe perks, though! The game is pretty impressive so far.
I was worried when I read the no refund part I even had to read it a couple times, but all looks well and the wipe will be a good thing. I look forward to seeing what new things they have for us. This game is awesome and is only getting better!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]