Artifacts aren't fun.

I started playing after the recent patch. I have a couple friends that play (let's call them Steve and Bob),

Steve has been playing before me, and is a higher level. Grouping with him was a pain when I was a low level since not only wasn't I that great at the game, but I was getting decimated by people with artifacts (It's pretty easy to feel the difference between an artifact Illidan and one without).

Bob just got his account, and now he is in the situtation I was in. He doesn't want to play with us because he just gets destroyed and it isn't fun.

Point #1: Artifacts make it harder to play with your friends = Un-fun.

Solution - Don't gate artifacts by level, and make it easy to access top tier ones even for low level characters. Or remove them completely.

I finally reached level 15 a few days ago, and since I like tanks like Muradin, I spent all my gold on artifacts that give health and health regen. I can play a tank competently, but every other type of hero is at a disadvantage because they don't have the correct artifact setup, so I try to play tanks as often as possible.

Point #2: Artifacts pigeonhole you into a role, and make it less likely people will go out of the comfort zone and experiment.

Solution - Make artifacts more accessible, so each player can access the ones they want with ease. Or remove them completely.

I have level 6 artifacts, and own no heroes. It will be a long while before I can afford a hero that I like to play.

Point #3: Artifacts aren't fun to buy, Heroes are! I should want to spend my gold, not do it because I'm forced to.

Solution - Make artifacts funner then stat increases. Make them ability modifiers, or pseudo talents. Or remove them completely.

In conclusion I have two separate suggestions:

1. Make artifacts more accessible, cheaper, and funner, and don't gate it behind a level requirment. I need to be able to play with my new friends. It's hard enough coming to a new moba.

2. Remove them completely. Seriously, the game was great before this patch. If you want more customization or gold sinks, or progression, I'm sure there is a better way to do it then this.
Reply Quote
This.

I will have zero chance convincing friends to play this game when they KNOW they are gimped from the start.
Reply Quote
It's good that this post focuses on the social problems caused by artifacts, since supposedly one of the core values the developers have had from the start is "It's fun to play with your friends". Artifacts hinder that fun to a huge extent. I felt like a huge jackass when a couple of my friends got invited to this game I'd been hyping up for a while now, and I suddenly had to explain to them "Uh, okay, so there's this system in now where people have passive boosts totaling 10-15% in key stats, but you won't have access to those until account level 15... and you'd better save as much gold as you can until that point rather than unlock as many heroes as you want".

I really, really hope artifacts get removed entirely.
Reply Quote
Some of my friends stopped playing because of artifacts. They really liked the pre-patch game, but their post-patch matches were so miserable they just quit.

Others were hyped for the game... until they read about artifacts and gated talents. They've received invites to the alpha, but have chosen not to use them.

I haven't played in a while either. I've just been checking the forums, hoping for updates from Blizzard. How long do they intend to leave the game in this state?
Reply Quote
First... You're new friend you're queing with him putting him into your match making que. Of course its' unbalanced regardless of artifacts. Your a higher level and your playing with people of your range meaning they have more experience in the game and map, artifacts don't make too much more of a difference on top of that.

Second... Artifacts are stupidly cheap. I've purchased all of mine at level 3 and have almost all of my heros unlocked.
Reply Quote
08/01/2014 09:23 AMPosted by McDManager
First... You're new friend you're queing with him putting him into your match making que. Of course its' unbalanced regardless of artifacts. Your a higher level and your playing with people of your range meaning they have more experience in the game and map, artifacts don't make too much more of a difference on top of that.

Second... Artifacts are stupidly cheap. I've purchased all of mine at level 3 and have almost all of my heros unlocked.

Do you have level 1 artifacts by chance?

My friends are skilled though. They come from other MOBA's they know how to play, they just have a huge inherent disadvantage.
Reply Quote
08/01/2014 09:39 AMPosted by Eytank

My friends are skilled though. They come from other MOBA's they know how to play, they just have a huge inherent disadvantage.

He's trolling, it's not even possible to have that much gold at level 3
Reply Quote
Artifacts disallow you to play alternative heroes. It pretty much locks you into one "main" hero that you have to focus on.

What if you have a friend who likes playing the same hero? Both of you only have the same artifacts that work on a limited number of heroes. Artifacts and this new "leveling" system are ruining the game, and I can say that my playtime has gone from ACTIVE to VERY INACTIVE.

Before this patch, the game was awesome -- it was simple, fast, and felt very unencumbered to play. The pressure of having to know items, builds, and all that other shenanigans the other MOBAs force players to learn wasn't there. HotS was all about the team play and completing the objectives as a team.

Now all of this leveling up for talents and artifacts in general are emphasizing individual grinds and causing a disadvantage for those without it. I pretty much can't play with friends who are new or haven't leveled up heroes/artifacts without feeling like I'm at a gaping loss.

I come from having clocked a substantial number of hours in DotA, HoN, DotA2; my favorite thing about HotS was the simplicity. Now you've taken the simplicity away and the primary reason I played. I cannot play with my friends on an even playing field against an opposing team, and this patch has essentially ruined the game for me.

Roll back or change artifacts, and for the love of god, take the individual levels from the heroes out -- or remove the fact you need to achieve a certain level before the full talents are unlocked.

I probably won't be playing much of HotS again until some of these issues are addressed -- it's simply not fun for me anymore.
Reply Quote
The fact that they force you into playing new heroes with quests, and then completely gate your experience with them and handicap you makes no sense at all to me. It's really unfun, and makes doing quests a total drag - because you are stuck playing a gimped hero vs. everyone else. Yet, you need to do them to grind out the gold to buy the artifacts.
Edited by Zolopft on 8/1/2014 10:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/01/2014 09:44 AMPosted by Zolopft
08/01/2014 09:39 AMPosted by Eytank

Mis-type... 23 :P
Reply Quote
08/01/2014 10:09 AMPosted by McDManager

Mis-type... 23 :P

Still, at level 18, spending all my gold on artifacts, I have 3 level 6 artifacts. How could you have max level of all artifacts at 23?
Reply Quote
I do.. :) idk how but I do. I get 10 per game now after patch.
Reply Quote
08/01/2014 10:15 AMPosted by McDManager
I do.. :) idk how but I do. I get 10 per game now after patch.

Ok I'm going to assume you have level 1 artifacts, since that makes sense. Otherwise post a screenshot.
Reply Quote

Come back again after a wipe and tell me that you think you'd be able to unlock all of the Heroes and Artifacts in any reasonable amount of time. I dare you.

They're stupidly cheap TO YOU because Blizzard gave you gold to facilitate your purchases. 5500g per max level artifact isn't stupidly cheap when you're looking at an average of 300g per day for a casual player.
Edited by Vittorino on 8/1/2014 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]