StarCraft® II

The Long Voyage Home.

Years ago, the United Earth Directorate sent an expeditionary force to the Koprulu Sector, seeking to end the threat of the Zerg and Protoss and reclaim the colonies that had long since claimed their independence. The Terran defenders had naught but fragile alliances with aliens and an unquenchable certainty that the land they stood on belonged to them. The UED had numbers, technology, experience, and the backing of an empire that had been built upon thousands of years of Earth history.

Thus, they can hardly be blamed for being unable to even comprehend what had happened when they were defeated. The power of Old Earth was broken then, perhaps forever. According to the Terrans of Koprulu, Earth had not even heard of its children’s failure.

What had once been a mighty fleet became mere dust upon the cosmic wind, the scraps of metal that had once made up Battlecruisers carried out into the endless void to be forever lost, the men who had once made the journey to conquer a Sector reduced to frozen ash, for the Swarm would not be so easily undone. Those few of the would-be conquerors who survived huddled together in the dark corners of the universe, quaking lest their vengeful foes seek them out. Some mixed with the Terran natives. Others turned to piracy. Others still perished, and does it matter whether they did so fighting to the death in hopeless battle or slumped across a table in a bar, their blood thinned by alcohol? No matter which of these paths they chose, they chose to forget… to forget that which they could never have again, to forget the broken dreams of the past, to forget the families and friends they had left behind.

Some remembered.

Some could never forget the rolling hills, vast seas, and lush forests of Earth. Some could never forget the Man in the Moon. Some could never rid themselves of the wave of disappointment they felt when they looked up at the sky and saw not the Sun, but a star, foreign and unloving. Nor could they forget the friends they had lost… and the friends they had not. They met in secret, shared drinks… and spoke of home.

Now, a group of friends will meet in their usual place for the last time. They will make a decision that will change their lives. They will risk everything, sacrificing the new for the mere sliver of a hope for the old. The path they take will be dangerous, but they will not go unarmed. They have courage, dedication, and most importantly friendship. They will lean on each other for support when the very ground beneath their feet gives way.

But will they survive the Long Voyage Home?
The inside of the bar was neat, and it smelled good too. That was about all you could say for it. The proprietor, Joe Cheatwood, didn’t have much money to spend on the place (as a result, the drink was terrible), but he didn’t like things dirty and smelly. Some patrons suspected the man spent all his spare hours obsessively scrubbing every surface, and he looked tired enough for it to be a reasonable assumption. He typically looked like he’d been going without sleep, and as far as everybody knew he didn’t have anything in his life to spend time on but his establishment.

Freshly mowed grass. The realization came suddenly. Stan smiled. He’d been meeting the others here for what, four years now? Pretty much ever since the fleet went down in flames. He’d often tried to figure out exactly what the place smelled like, but could never put his finger on it.

Funny how things become so clear like this. He’d had a lot of realizations recently. That was why he was here today. Most men, knowing what he knew, would have stayed in bed. Not him. He wasn’t the sort to lay down and give up. He still had a little bit of unfinished business, and he wasn’t the sort to go out and leave things unfinished.

The door to the bar slid open with a hiss, and a man walked in. He looked around. Seeing only one person sitting in the bar, he walked over to him.

Stan looked up at him. “Hey, stranger.”

The man nodded at him. “Does the sun rise in the east?”

“It surely does,” Stan said, smiling. “I was beginning to think you wouldn’t make it.”

The other man sat down. “I always make it in the end. So, did you bring it?”

“It’s right here.” Stan set a small pouch on the table. “And I assume you brought your end?”

In response the other man drew a folded sheet of paper from his shirt pocket. “So, unless you want to make any last minute amendments to our deal, we’ll just swap.” He reached across the table eagerly and snatched up the pouch. He opened and looked inside, then, satisfied, put it in his pocket. Stan picked up the piece of paper and unfolded it carefully. He inspected it briefly, then looked up.

“I thought we’d been over this. You made a mistake.”

The other man’s smile turned to a frown. “How so?”

“I won’t be taking possession of the item. Some friends of mine will.”

“I’m not sure I understand. Won’t you be meeting up with these friends of yours?”

Stan shook his head. “I’ve already explained this to you. I’m not planning on using it for any offensive-”

“Yes, yes,” the other man said impatiently. “I know what you’re planning on doing. I just don’t understand why you don’t want to simply take possession and then take it to-”

“I’m dying, Luke.”

Luke stopped short. He stared for a moment. “You’re… what?”

“You know what happens when you’re exposed to the raw stuff, man.” Stan pointed at the shirt pocket where Luke had concealed the pouch. “Smuggling it out of the mines a grain at a time, a man is bound to hit bad luck once or twice. I expect to live maybe another week. So, you see, I simply don’t have the time to get it to them myself. So you’ll deliver it to the Rim Station, where I told them to meet.”

Luke looked at the other man. He had never met Stan face to face before, but his throat clinched slightly when the man talked about dying. They had been in communication for years, even before the Defeat. They’d never been in battle together, but they’d been comrades in arms as much as anyone. As a Wraith pilot, Luke had saved Stan plenty of times, and as a comm monitor Stan had often returned the favor.

Funny we never met until now, Luke thought bitterly. And now he’s about to die.

“Alright. You’ve got it, pal. I’ll get her there.”

Stan smiled. “Thanks. You have no idea what this means. Oh, but there’s one other thing.”

Luke raised an eyebrow. “Which is?”

“I’d like to be buried at home. If they make it, I want to go with them. I’ll make the arrangements if you’ll just see it through.”

The other man nodded. “Alright. I’ll do that for you.” He grasped his old friend’s hand, and felt how weak Stan’s grip was.

“I thank you for that.”

Welcome to the Long Voyage Home. In this RP, your characters, a group of ex-UED soldiers, will be trying to make their way home to the planet Earth. You’ll face Zerg and worse on the outside of your ship… but the greatest threats often come from within. This RP takes place just before the events of Wings of Liberty.

Create multiple characters. Three apiece would probably be a good number.

Why?

Because your characters will die. Nobody has plot armor. All characters are fair game for accidents, anomalies, and malevolent creatures.

Application format:

<Participant Name>
Character’s Name: ___________(Every character needs a name!)
Characteristics:_____________(Put appearance, personality and, if desired, age here.)
Role:__________(Your char’s job aboard the team’s battlecruiser. Each RPer can make one char with a Major Role and as many as they like with a Minor Role. Roles are listed below.)
Attributes:_____________(Listed below.)
Backstory (pre-interbellum):____________(Where on Earth is your char from? What did he do during the Brood War? This part is optional.)
Backstory(post-interbellum):_____________(NOT optional. What has your char been doing these last years?)

Major Roles:

Chief Engineer. The chief engineer is responsible for overseeing the maintenance and operation of the ship. He works primarily in the ship’s engineering bay. He directs the ship’s engineers in repairing the craft, manages power allocation, and can make improvements to the ship at certain points. There can be only one Chief Engineer.

Science Officer. Think Stettman. Analyzes aliens, performs experiments, and sometimes unlocks valuable new tech for the ship. There can be two Science Officers.

Weapons Master. This individual manages the ship’s supply of weaponry, vehicles, mechs, etc. He sometimes can unlock new weapons systems. The items he manages are primarily used for excursions onto planets or “other such things.” Only one Weapons Master is allowed.

Navigator. Steers the ship. Extraordinarily important, but there isn’t really much to say. Only one is allowed.

Head of Security. Manages everything to do with security aboard the ship. Keeps everyone in line, puts people in the brig, and defends the ship if necessary. Also may lead offensive excursions. Only one allowed.

Minor Roles.

Engineer. Answers to the Chief Engineer. Skilled with repairs, innovation, and basically anything involving a wrench. If the Chief Engineer dies, an Engineer will have to take his place.

Pilot. Controls a small craft such as a Wraith or dropship. May have to take the Navigator’s place in an emergency.

Marine. Well… a Marine. May operate a Goliath or other ground vehicle. Answers to the Head of Security, and may be promoted to that office of the old Head is incapacitated.

Quartermaster. Catalogues and manages ship supplies such as food and sometimes ammo. Only one permitted.

Medical Officer. Keeps people alive. May accompany ground excursions as a medic.

Attributes:

Psychic. Has psionics equivalent to those of a ghost, and the accompanying training. Few UED psychics have escaped Terran eyes, so only one Psychic per player is allowed.

Expert. Very talented at his job. One per player.

Dumb luck. These characters aren’t very skilled, but are strangely good at surviving. You can have an additional Expert if one of your chars has this. One per player.

Alright, that’s all. Create your characters if you wish to participate.
Current characters:

Naitsrich:

Jamie Rundran.
Characteristics: A tan man of average height. Has long black hair that is tied into a ponytail. Has brown eyes, and wears protective glasses when working.
Role: Quartermaster
Attribute: Dumb luck
Backstory: After the fall of the UED fleet, Jamie quickly blended into the general populace, finding work as a supply manager at the shipyard. Pretty average life.

Rodrick Vandelas
Characteristics: Tall, pale man with bright blue eyes and short, dark hair.
Role: Engineer
Attribute: None
Backstory: Sucessfully blending in with local townspeople, Vandelas avoided discovery and founded a garage which he works most of his days in.

Jester:

Character’s Name: Kelly Scott Icarus
Characteristics: Person of few words, little idle chatter. 5' 9", medium/small build. Unseen tattoo between shoulder-blades and stomach. Brown hair with the few odd strands of hair that are different colors, sometimes forming a rainbow if looked at from the correct angle. Clean white flight suit with a small amount of armor, with a helmet that allows her to operate in space for a few hours. Hip holster visible with a Needle Gun for self defense. Dimples on her cheeks and heterochromia eyes. (Left eye blue, right eye hazel)
Role: Pilot
Attributes:Expert
Backstory (pre-interbellum): Cronus Wing during the Brood War. Fought extensively against both the Dominion and Zerg fliers. Earned medal for combat over Korhal. but otherwise unremarkable.
Backstory(post-interbellum): Kelly spent most of her years as a mercenary, first in a Wraith, then in a hijacked and modified Viking (Will change if necessary, but no exact year was specified.). She remained in contact with some of the other members of the UED, and upon hearing of a chance to return home, she met up with the others.

Character’s Name:
Characteristics: Dirty White engineering bodysuit, with welders, screwdrivers, pilers and almost everything that would be needed for his job. Holster for a Torrent Shotgun on back and a holster on his chest with a slightly modified P30 Pistol. Pair of goggles on his forehead, below a mess of blonde hair, and above a pair of green eyes, with a scar on his lip. Tends to run his mouth under stress, isn't very sensitive to the plight of others, and eagerly accepts any engineering challenge.
Role:Chief Engineer
Backstory (pre-interbellum): Nothing of importance to note. Worked as ship engineer on-board Battlecruisers, also repaired fighter ships.
Backstory(post-interbellum): Inactive for the most part after the war, working in a back-water planet, repairing mining vehicles, transports, irrigation vehicles...... Generally everything and anything that came to his workshop. Getting bored with where he was, he planet-hopped, helping with engineering projects on several planets. He heard of a way to return home with some of his former comrades, and set off almost immediately to meet up.
Edited by KnarledOne on 10/1/2013 2:54 AM PDT
Naitsrich

Jamie Rundran
Characteristics: A tan man of average height. Has long black hair that is tied into a ponytail. Has brown eyes, and wears protective glasses when working.
Role: Quartermaster
Attribute: Dumb luck
Backstory: After the fall of the UED fleet, Jamie quickly blended into the general populace, finding work as a supply manager at the shipyard. Pretty average life.

Rodrick Vandelas
Characteristic's: Tall, pale man with bright blue eyes and short, dark hair.
Role: Engineer
Attribute: None
Backstory: Sucessfully blending in with local townspeople, Vandelas avoided discovery and founded a garage where he works most of days in.

Chris Wamer
Charateristics: Average height with brown hair. Has a large goatee and green eyes, wearing a hat over his bald head.
Role: Navigator
Attribute: Expert
Backstory: During his time on Earth, Wamer grew up around the giant ships of the UED ships, fascinated by the metal behemoths that he the troops got on daily. Inspired to be a pilot, Wamer practiced with street vehicles, practicing stunts until he became of age to become a pilot. Initially a well behaved student, he quickly gained fame with his skill with airships, being able to do any maneuver known. Soon, he signed up for the UED fleet in order to drive the vehicle of his dreams: the grand ships of that sailed through the stars, the Battlecruiser.

Infamously known during his UED days for his reckless driving, he was also was one of the best pilots around. Inventing several dropship maneuvers and instructing for a time, Wamer moved on to commanding his own cruiser. Often controlling the ship himself, he was known for the way he could turn the ship to his whim, turning it several directions in way that most weren't used to. While achieving multiple things during the UED arrival to the Koprulu sector, his ship finally fell to Confederate forces after being surronded. After his beloved ship fell to the hands of Dominion forces, Wamer went to be a stunt driver, widely known for achieving stunts that most would crash attempting. However, this was limited to only civilition vehicles, leaving him bored after achieving few stunts. Soon, Wamer quickly leaned to piracy in secret, helping those who needed a skilled pilot for the day.
Edited by Naitsrich on 10/1/2013 12:36 PM PDT
Knarled, I'll come up with a few characters sometime tomorrow when I get home from school.
working on chars ... prolly gonna make a weapons master and maybe a pilot or two ... maybe a marine ...
Hahaha, YES! I'm going to make the most in-depth, intricate characters JoeyRay's has ever seen in this RP! This looks fantastic, KO! I applaud you!

Now... Do I duplicate other characters and put them here to practice using them? Or... Make Original characters and accept their fate if they die...

I'll have to think about this. Thanks for the opportunity. I'll have characters up in no time.

EDIT-

Hey KO, I hope you're willing to crack the whip and only let good characters fill important roles.
Edited by ThaneKrios on 9/30/2013 4:07 PM PDT
OK -

Thanks a ton, guys! Can't wait to see your chars, Thane, CR, and Morph.

Naits- I like your apps, but would like to see their backstories expanded somewhat if possible, particularly Wamer's; I would like to see his include a bit more about his days as a Battlecruiser navigator and his qualifications in that area, since of course ground vehicles and capital ships differ radically in how they're controlled.

The other two I'll call accepted. Just polish Wamer and he's in.
Edited by KnarledOne on 9/30/2013 4:56 PM PDT
I may join (and KO can you get the ball rolling for the subplot we are going to do in Epi)
I just needed CR for that. As he is back, we can probably get that going.
He had to go to bed and if you already made your post awhile back you may have to quote it so CR can see.
Right. I alerted him in Ep, so when he next logs on he should see it.

EDIT - Wait a minute, why is this discussion occurring here?
Edited by KnarledOne on 9/30/2013 5:09 PM PDT
"Hmmm, Chief Engineer+Science Officer+Marine. Please keep a reserved spot for the former two, as I don't have the time to make them currently. I hope to get the sheets up tonight or tomorrow morning. You can trust me with them."
Edited by ShadowFury on 9/30/2013 5:03 PM PDT
Perhaps you did not see

09/30/2013 01:51 PMPosted by KnarledOne
Each RPer can make one char with a Major Role

...probably due to Wall of Text Syndrome, so my fault.

However I will happily reserve one of the two positions, whichever you prefer. Also, if not all Major Roles are filled then I will allow more than one per person.

EDIT - I just want to be sure all participants get a Major Role, so no taking seconds until everyone's filled their plate!
Edited by KnarledOne on 9/30/2013 5:12 PM PDT
SF, just to be clear, a Chief Engineer and a Science Officer are both major roles. Meaning you can't have both and you can only have one or the other! *dramatic pause* DUH DUH DUH~
Anyway, I believe it is like that way so no one person has more authority than the rest and thus everyone is also given an equal opportunity to be given a chance at a role that could prove valuable. Think of it as a trial and error kind of thing. You don't know if it's gonna work without giving it a chance.
"Ah, well then. Science Officer as I can make an engineer still, but not a scientist."
<Jester>
Character’s Name: Kelly Scott Icarus
Characteristics: Person of few words, little idle chatter. 5' 9", medium/small build. Unseen tattoo between shoulder-blades and stomach. Brown hair with the few odd strands of hair that are different colors, sometimes forming a rainbow if looked at from the correct angle. Clean white flight suit with a small amount of armor, with a helmet that allows her to operate in space for a few hours. Hip holster visible with a Needle Gun for self defense. Dimples on her cheeks and heterochromia eyes. (Left eye blue, right eye hazel)
Role: Pilot
Backstory (pre-interbellum): Cronus Wing during the Brood War. Fought extensively against both the Dominion and Zerg fliers. Earned medal for combat over Korhal. but otherwise unremarkable.
Backstory(post-interbellum): Kelly spent most of her years as a mercenary, first in a Wraith, then in a hijacked and modified Viking (Will change if necessary, but no exact year was specified.). She remained in contact with some of the other members of the UED, and upon hearing of a chance to return home, she met up with the others.

<Jester>
Character’s Name: Mike Harvard Jeckson
Characteristics: Dirty White engineering bodysuit, with welders, screwdrivers, pilers and almost everything that would be needed for his job. Holster for a Torrent Shotgun on back and a holster on his chest with a slightly modified P30 Pistol. Pair of goggles on his forehead, below a mess of blonde hair, and above a pair of green eyes, with a scar on his lip. Tends to run his mouth under stress, isn't very sensitive to the plight of others, and eagerly accepts any engineering challenge.
Role:Chief Engineer
Backstory (pre-interbellum): Nothing of importance to note. Worked as ship engineer on-board Battlecruisers, also repaired fighter ships.
Backstory(post-interbellum): Inactive for the most part after the war, working in a back-water planet, repairing mining vehicles, transports, irrigation vehicles...... Generally everything and anything that came to his workshop. Getting bored with where he was, he planet-hopped, helping with engineering projects on several planets. He heard of a way to return home with some of his former comrades, and set off almost immediately to meet up.
Edited by Jester on 10/1/2013 4:51 AM PDT
Hmmm.....
Could I have a pilot with all there attributes? Could be fun/amusing.
War, just a heads up, that would be pretty amazing yet ridiculous especially since you want him to be [b[Psychic[/b] and there can only be one. Which means there is already quite a flaw up in your plan and will make him also seem to be "unkillable", which is kinda of a big deal pertaining to the type of RP this is as it's the one where they risk everything even their life even to make it back to earth (that is actually correct so don't correct me, it's only when you are talking about other celestial beings you capitalize the "e", I know, it's weird.) and hell, even the person orchestrating this whole thing suggests that he's gonna die before he makes it back but he's going in so he can be buried back home. (P.S You shouldn't be psychic unless you are prepared for the more... unique consequences. You are a beacon for all Zerg out there as well which could end up luring them to this ship. This is where sacrifice might take place and you must be ready for such a decision.)

Oh, and if anyone has a terrible psychic that is also most likely a Mary Sue puta perhaps, then I will slowly kill them with arsenic poisoning. It's amazing what can be found within the seed of certain fruits... Oh, and another P.S.S. I may just outright kill him/her if she really is that bad and is a terrible excuse of a psychic in general.
Edited by CrymsonRaven on 10/1/2013 2:09 AM PDT
10/01/2013 02:02 AMPosted by CrymsonRaven
I will slowly kill them with arsenic poisoning

Lol.

Jester: Those chars are fine. They're accepted.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]