StarCraft® II

Offline Play Weirdness - Starter Edition?

MVP - Technical Support
So my SC2 client seems to be unsure of itself! When trying to play offline, it sometimes doesn't know what it even is: the Standard Edition or the Starter Edition.

1) What I call "Faux" offline - If there is an internet connection and I let the game sit on the login screen (without logging in), after about 5 minutes or so the familiar offline option window pops up. With this method, I can play offline with no problems.

2) What I call "True" offline - If there is no internet connection at all, as in unplugged or the adapter disabled, the offline option window pops up just like is does in #1; however, I can't play offline because the game thinks it is the Starter Edition

So it seems that my SC2 client needs battlenet to initially tell it that it is the Standard Edition. After that, all is well once going offline (#1). However, if battlenet is not there at the beginning, SC2 seems to think it's Starter Edition (#2).

It's as if there's some 'Standard Edition' flag that is not being properly set locally in my game client. Anything I can do to convince my SC2 that it is indeed the Standard Edition in the absence of bnet?

Thanks!
Edited by Leviathan on 12/12/2013 7:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks for bringing that up Leviathan! I'll let you know what I find out :)
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Gracias! I only bring it up because I commonly see similar issues with other players (if it was only me, I wouldn't care so much). So i figured I'd detail my experience in the hopes it helps elucidate the issue.
Edited by Leviathan on 10/8/2013 9:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Here is another player who recently ran into this as well.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/8568380305#6
Reply Quote
I have the same issue plus another. I recently purchased HotS just before I moved and while waiting for my internet service to be turned on I decided to play a few games vs AI but it wouldn't let me. Battle.net shows I have the standard edition but I paid for the deluxe digital.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Interesting!

Seeing that it can affect different game levels, not just Starter > Standard, it sounds more and more like some kind of 'flag'-type issue in the client. As if, in some cases, for some reason, the game needs battlenet to give it "The OK" to unlock the proper game level/content.
Edited by Leviathan on 10/18/2013 5:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm having the same troubles, as I listed [url=http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/10262196860]here[/url]. I bought standard edition from Best Buy, installed it and registered it, my account says its Standard edition, and every time I play the actual game it thinks its Starter edition. I can't play offline (even if I wait 5 minutes for the offline mode thing to appear), and if I launch the game through the map editor, it tells me I can't use that function because I'm using the Starter mode.

Also recently acquired Heart of the Swarm. Still pulling the Starter edition crap. It's getting very frustrating--I bought the full game, I don't deserve to have my game treating me like I'm playing glorified demo mode, even if I still have access to campaign and multiplayer.
Reply Quote
yep i have the same problem too. i already upgraded to standard edition but in-game it still starter version. hneed assistance please.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Hey KAMvinci,

Are you talking about the game being the wrong version when online and connected to battlenet? Or when fully disconnected from the internet?

This thread is about being 'demoted' to Starter Edition only when completely offline.

However, in your case, try doing a password reset from inside your battlenet account:
https://us.battle.net/account/management/settings/change-password.html

This has a way of refreshing your account in some way and thus allowing recent upgrades/purchases to take effect.
Edited by Leviathan on 11/20/2013 12:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have full versions of the game, I play online quite often, and when I go offline it kicks me off. When I try to relog into my account to go offline it says that I have the starter edition, which is incorrect. I've done a password reset to see if it would fix the problem everyone else has had. I'm still seeing the same issue.
Reply Quote
Same issue LEVIATHAN , As you described above I want to play true offline mode, as I share my modem with my flat mate, I disconnect it once its updated, wierd thing is its seems you actually have to be online to use offline??? crazy

when modem is not connected , game expasion level says Starter Edition (WOL), with active connected internet connection it say Wings of Liberty

I shut my pc down I dont want to connect the modem and go online EVERY single time to play offline, this is just stupid.

how can I play without the modem connected, I dont mind reconnecting once a month if required but I just want to play campain and Ai skirishes in true offline mode

this should be resolved by now seems people have had this issue for almoust a year
Reply Quote
Same issue LEVIATHAN , As you described above I want to play true offline mode, as I share my modem with my flat mate, I disconnect it once its updated, wierd thing is its seems you actually have to be online to use offline??? crazy

when modem is not connected , game expasion level says Starter Edition (WOL), with active connected internet connection it say Wings of Liberty

I shut my pc down I dont want to connect the modem and go online EVERY single time to play offline, this is just stupid.

how can I play without the modem connected, I dont mind reconnecting once a month if required but I just want to play campain and Ai skirishes in true offline mode

this should be resolved by now seems people have had this issue for almost a year

That's the exact same problem I have. I use to be able to on rare occasions, and sometimes when I disconnect on the main screen after I logged in, but now it's impossible.

Could an Account Reset work?
Edited by Xath on 12/8/2013 12:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
try doing a password reset from inside your battlenet account:
https://us.battle.net/account/management/settings/change-password.html

This has a way of refreshing your account in some way and thus allowing recent upgrades/purchases to take effect.

ARCHON and Xath, if you haven't already tried resetting your password, as Leviathan suggested, I've refreshed your account from our side.
Reply Quote
I changed my password and I am still seeing the same results. When I log out and go to options, on the log-in screen, it shows my expansion level to be Starter Edition(HoTS) with no other option to chose from. When I log in, I have the Wings of Liberty and HoTS to pick from. Are there any files that would be conflicting that would make the log-in screen think that I haven't purchased the full game?

Edit: Reason to why I need offline mode so bad is because I use satellite internet. Not so great to play vs A.I. at 800ms+ latency on a good day. So, the sooner this is fixed, the sooner I can enjoy this game a bit more =). Thanks for trying to help!
Edited by Xath on 12/11/2013 11:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hi, Nothing has changed Im still having same issue, no matter what I do it still says starter edition (WOL), when modem is off,

Ive changed password twice and my email, synced my time to battlenet,deleted my battle net cache. followed all the solutions that have been listed on all the topics that are similar, it seems that blizzard need to release an update to address this issue

(I not sure if this is relevent but, under my documents/starcraft II I seem to have 2 sets of account shortcuts with different numbers, maybe one has to be deleted?

I dont want to reinstall again, as this uses too much of my download, and going by what others have said most likley wont change anything, not to mention another 3 days to download all the updates.

is it possible that the game disc install has an outdated client, so if its installed through the retail box dvd, it causes this issue?

in my battle net account under starcraft 2 standard editon theres a green icon with upgrade available, and a download named StarCraft-II-Setup-enUS.exe, do I need to run this, or is this simply the same client that is on my game disc? and just installs the game the same way as the disc.

just to make clear I have Starcraft II wings of liberty Retail Store Box version only. no expansion
and its patched to 2.0.11.26825

any help would be appreciated, as Ive had this game for over a week without a solution.
Reply Quote
Alright, I have had this game for quite some time now, including the expansion. I cannot play offline, I've just about tried everything. I've re installed it quite a bit and I'm not sure how to go about playing offline. What I AM able to do to play a game without connection is, open a replay, disconnect my internet, and take control. I am still tinkering ways to get around it, but this is quite frustrating.

My brother is able to log on to his account, but not play offline on my computer. He is able to do so on his computer though. (I have also tried uninstalling, deleting all files, and moving his over to mine...unsuccessful)

This problem has gone on extremely too long. The moment I log on to a fresh client, it tells me I have starter edition, as well as when I disconnect or go offline.

I'm sure this is a headache for Blizzard, but hopefully it will sort it self out at the next expansion. I have my fingers crossed. (Offline LAN for people with bad internet please?)
Reply Quote
Add me to the list of people who can't play Offline due to the gaming thinking it's the Starter edition. I've been without Internet for a couple weeks now following a move, and have been using my phone to tether to my laptop which is fine for browsing and email, but my gaming desktop has been offline and will be for a while.

Maybe the solution is a toggle-able Offline mode setting. Have it download encrypted licensing keys or something that the game can read to decide if it's legit, thus allowing Offline play of campaign and AI skirmishes.

While I'm dreaming, patch this into Diablo III so I can finally purchase it.
Reply Quote
Add me as well. I have the digital deluxe edition and havn't been able to play the game offline since the earliest days of WoL. I've tried uninstalls, re-installs, different computers, password resets, etc. but all to no avail. I've installed from both disc (I originally had standard and then upgraded) and from the downloaded files... neither solution works.
Reply Quote
Add me as well. I just bought the full version a couple days ago and was not able to play offline.
Reply Quote
i changed my password and no luck leviathan :/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]