The ULTIMATE SC2 Optimization & FPS Guide 2.0

Hey thanks a lot, I've been talking to blizzard through support tickets as well for the last week and they don't really seem to know what they are doing. Are they all outsourced cheap labor?

I have been looking around the support forums as well. I read through a number of threads (even the ones over 10 pages long) and found some stuff to try but still haven't resolved this. I think I posted in all of them.

edit- I actually did figure this out.
Edited by SpoR on 12/19/2013 3:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey that's a great guide,but i have a question:

If i unpark my cores do i put my processor at any risk?
Can it reduce the processor's life time?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Hey that's a great guide,but i have a question:

If i unpark my cores do i put my processor at any risk?
Can it reduce the processor's life time?

I highly doubt it. That should not happen unless you actually overclock your CPU without paying enough attention to the temps. You should be fine. Temps will only change a little if at all.

Just make a restore point to be safe, and do it. I've done it several times to several PCs, never had an issue once.
Reply Quote
I used the following programs and didn't get A SINGLE extra fps:

-Large Adress Aware
-Razer Game Booster
-Unparked Cores
-Added bitdepth=16 on variables.txt and lowered some values
-Changed my power configurations to high performance

Even with all of that,i've literally just wasted time TT

Btw heres my configuration:
4gb of memory
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.8 Ghz
Intel GMA 3100 (Aka piece of !@#$)

Also just wanted to say i'm not complaining or anything,i'm just saying it didn't work for me (as usual).

Thanks for the guide anyway :D
Reply Quote
I am also having the fps issue it seems to 140 at the start of a game when the game is progressing and armies are up it downs to 50 and 16 during battles and it never goes back up to 140 ever again
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
I used the following programs and didn't get A SINGLE extra fps:

-Large Adress Aware
-Razer Game Booster
-Unparked Cores
-Added bitdepth=16 on variables.txt and lowered some values
-Changed my power configurations to high performance

Even with all of that,i've literally just wasted time TT

Btw heres my configuration:
4gb of memory
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.8 Ghz
Intel GMA 3100 (Aka piece of !@#$)

Also just wanted to say i'm not complaining or anything,i'm just saying it didn't work for me (as usual).

Thanks for the guide anyway :D

Looks like you need a GPU my friend. My guide, clearly, does not tell you how to grow a GPU out of thin air.

12/28/2013 02:16 PMPosted by gikndaku
I am also having the fps issue it seems to 140 at the start of a game when the game is progressing and armies are up it downs to 50 and 16 during battles and it never goes back up to 140 ever again

Ah, yes, an Issue I am in the works of finding a more... suitable solution for. It's not caused by the same things this guide was written to treat I suspect. A guide will be popping up about that particular issue. What GPU do you use btw? Tomorrow I'm posting some possible solutions in a WIP version of the guide.
Edited by Duke on 12/30/2013 10:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/30/2013 10:06 PMPosted by Duke
My guide, clearly, does not tell you how to grow a GPU out of thin air.

I would really appreciate if you made a guide on that ;P
Reply Quote
External programs do little to nothing when it comes to performance. RGBooster does things that you can normally do on your own. SC2 seems to be more CPU intensive rather than GPU. Tweaks to the variable.txt aren't as impactual as the settings you select under the 'Options' menu. The problem lies with the SC2 client itself, it's not optimized to run on lower end computers and some high-end ones as well, as the forums suggest. This thread seems to simply promote the installation of 3rd party programs
Reply Quote
01/10/2014 08:58 AMPosted by MoltenDrake
External programs do little to nothing when it comes to performance. RGBooster does things that you can normally do on your own. SC2 seems to be more CPU intensive rather than GPU. Tweaks to the variable.txt aren't as impactual as the settings you select under the 'Options' menu. The problem lies with the SC2 client itself, it's not optimized to run on lower end computers and some high-end ones as well, as the forums suggest. This thread seems to simply promote the installation of 3rd party programs

I've tried this guide, also tried the first one, did help me keep my fps go 15 higher so that it would constantly be above 120, my refresh rate, and the graphics looked better.
Reply Quote
I started following the instructions and installed the programs listed. Latency fix, game booster, etc. restarted before I wanted to mess with the variables text file. Created a restore point after I installed all of those things.

Result: System Restored to 6 hours prior to installing SC2.

I can't say which step caused the problem but I can say that it was likely the processor one. Clean install of Windows 8.1 by the way.

System Specs:

Windows x64 8.1 Professional
8GB RAM
Dual Core AMD @ 2.6ghz / Core (Sucks I know, can't beat FREE though)
GeForce 8400GS (512mb)

Nothing is OC'd
Edited by Hammbones on 1/16/2014 10:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
^ That be unfortunate. I had troubles with it to, a simple restore fixed it for me. But it worked GREAT on a different PC of mine. Luck of the draw I suppose!

It does say be cautious with that step.
:P

I got a good 14ish FPS, which was nice.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
I started following the instructions and installed the programs listed. Latency fix, game booster, etc. restarted before I wanted to mess with the variables text file. Created a restore point after I installed all of those things.

Result: System Restored to 6 hours prior to installing SC2.

I can't say which step caused the problem but I can say that it was likely the processor one. Clean install of Windows 8.1 by the way.

System Specs:

Windows x64 8.1 Professional
8GB RAM
Dual Core AMD @ 2.6ghz / Core (Sucks I know, can't beat FREE though)
GeForce 8400GS (512mb)

Nothing is OC'd

01/17/2014 08:15 AMPosted by RedOctober
It does say be cautious with that step.

Yup. Sorry to hear that Hamm. How can I be of assistance to you? You do seek to improve your FPS, do you not?

I've done some research, and I've found that the chance that the core unparking will be successful is pretty dang good among quad cores. But anything less has proven to cause issues,or laptops.
Edited by Duke on 1/17/2014 8:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
I run on highest in all settings of the game currently. When I did the Improving Visuals thing and then tested it out, I got more fps. Not drastically higher, but a noticeable 5 or so. Why is this? I didn't do anything else other than change the Variables.txt file using the instructions in the Improving Visuals section.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Lol, not sure, but that's great! Obviously results will vary on different hardware. That's great!
Reply Quote
Gotta recommend using Readyboost for lower end machines, as the game now runs flawlessly on my netbook after setting up Readyboost (not much different than running on my I5-3320M with 4GB ram)

I am using it on my Acer Aspire One 522 netbook that has 1Ghz dual core AMD C60 with 4GB ram.

For Readyboost, I'm using a 16GB SDHC card from Sandisk rated at 30 MB/s max.

Both my systems are 32-bit, and don't have graphics cards (just relying on integrated GPU)

Of course, I run the Unit Preloader map in Arcade before starting any games
Edited by CheezyCannon on 1/31/2014 3:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
Heya. I recently got an intel i5 4670 and decided I was gonna try and crank it up as much as possible while still keeping the 50-60fps I want. I found your thread on reddit just now and I was looking at the ''Extreme ULTRA'' settings, but none of the SSAO variables seem to be there with the exception of
''GraphicsoptionSSAO=1''
and (obviously) ''SSAO=1''

Would you know why?

Note: I just noticed that
''GraphicsOptionOverallQualityVer7 [5] = 4'
' is
''GraphicsOptionOverallQualityVer7 [15] = 4''

for me. Should I change this, maybe?
Edited by Thalandros on 2/3/2014 1:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
02/03/2014 01:35 PMPosted by Thalandros
Heya. I recently got an intel i5 4670 and decided I was gonna try and crank it up as much as possible while still keeping the 50-60fps I want. I found your thread on reddit just now and I was looking at the ''Extreme ULTRA'' settings, but none of the SSAO variables seem to be there with the exception of
''GraphicsoptionSSAO=1''

Would you know why?

Note: I just noticed that
''GraphicsOptionOverallQualityVer7 [5] = 4'
' is
''GraphicsOptionOverallQualityVer7 [15] = 4''

Copy the variable text file to your desktop as a backup in case your modifications do not work, and match the listed modifications best you can figure.

Try and find the right settings to change, and I think you can type in the ones that aren't there, as this works for other modifications.
Edited by Duke on 2/3/2014 3:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/19/2013 09:17 AMPosted by Dhark
I suppose this is a bit more informative than my optimizing guide:

How to optimize: Click "low settings" and don't game on pentium 4.
(I will say that this works for just about any person)

This is pretty much all that is needed
Reply Quote
02/03/2014 03:05 PMPosted by Duke
02/03/2014 01:35 PMPosted by Thalandros
''GraphicsoptionSSAO=1''

Would you know why?

Note: I just noticed that ...' is ...

Copy the variable text file to your desktop as a backup in case your modifications do not work, and match the listed modifications best you can figure.

Try and find the right settings to change, and I think you can type in the ones that aren't there, as this works for other modifications.

Thanks for the help, it worked out, but I experienced a bit of latency(?) lag and overall ~30 FPS, so I'm not going to use it for now. Do you know what could be bottlenecking it, just interested:

Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Intel i5 4670
8GB RAM
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
02/03/2014 04:37 PMPosted by Thalandros
Do you know what could be bottlenecking it

Gpu, your CPU is plenty good for SC2. Your GPU is pretty dang good for this game. There's a reason those GPU settings are not normally accessible, due to performance issues. These settings may not be optimized well enough for use across all GPUs and setups.

I always thought that those settings were originally intended to be accessible but were shoved away do to said issues. I think that in the future, we'll probably see a patch with graphics some improvements, hardware willing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]