StarCraft® II

Balance Test map Changes

Developer
Hi guys,

We'd like to tweak the changes on the current balance test map a little bit this week.

Instead of doing the Revelation range buff, we'd like to try a change where units that are hit by Revelation can't remove it by simply burrowing or cloaking. Burrowing or cloaking will still hide the unit, but unburrowing/uncloaking will reveal it again.

We'd also like to try a lesser version of the Widow Mine nerf. Right now, we feel just straight downgrading to the 1.25 range is too big of a nerf. Therefore, we'd like to try a change where widow mines don't do full damage. Units within the 1.25 radius will take 100% damage like we're testing right now. From 1.25 to 1.75, units will take 50% or 25% of the full damage. This way, the total splash radius is the same as is on live, but the actual damage output is still nerfed.

Edit to clarify:

Here's how we're intending the Widow Mine change to work:

• Units inside a 1.25 radius take 100% damage. (40 damage)
  • From 1.25 to 1.5, units take 50%. (20 damage)
  • From 1.5 to 1.75, units take 25%. (10 damage)

The listed damage amounts are based on Sentinel Missile's splash damage amount, not the single target damage. Hope this clears things up.
Edited by Spyrian on 10/14/2013 11:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
so... Its changed from AoE damage to actual splash damage then? cool.
Reply Quote
I like these changes. I'm also glad to hear from you guys, as you don't communicate with us enough.
Edited by Qendel on 10/14/2013 10:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Great, can't wait to try the new stuff!

How are you and the balance team feeling about the impact of the other changes?
Reply Quote
Widow mine nerf sounds a bit more reasonable now. Not the solution I would have thought of, but I like the idea of outright killing things in the core of the blast radius and wounding things on the outer edge. Seems a bit more realistic and such
Reply Quote
Hm. 25% still one shot banelings but not lings. Maintaining the full radius should also mean that wm remain almost as useful vs muta.

It seems bio mine will be almost as powerful as before. I mean, 4 Hp lings are easy fodder for marines. Mutas clumps should be a bit more resilient, but not by much.

Wish there was some word on the tank buff...
Edited by SlylockMcFox on 10/14/2013 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just nerf the multa regenation. Zerg is the only race that just can mass one unit and win. This is ridiculous
Reply Quote
Hm. 25% still one shot banelings but not lings. Maintaining the full radius should also mean that wm remain almost as useful vs muta.

10 damage does not one-shot Banelings.

Remember that the base splash damage is still 40, and independent of the single-target damage (125 + 35 shield bonus).
Reply Quote
meh why don't you make protoss actually able to fight bio without making collsi or ht

10/14/2013 10:30 AMPosted by lehuutai
Zerg is the only race that just can mass one unit and win. This is ridiculous

terran has marines, protoss has voids, zerg has mutas

I knew this was going to happen. Blizz, you are so afraid to nerf terran when all they do is dominate an entire race with one unit that requires no micro. Why don't we make marines auto stutter step and stim while we are at it?Just take out any reason for terran players to have any apm at all.The design is absurd.

true, true

Stop nerfing Terran. Getting tired of it. You're killing off 1/3 your player base.

lol terrans thinking terran is up, sad. learn to play a race that doesn't have beat everything tier 1 unit

10/14/2013 10:38 AMPosted by Felbane
Right. Because I can totally afford to be constantly losing mines to mutas accompanied by overseers. Genius.

yes because mines are so expensive and by definition are mines which are supposed to be destroyed.

TvZ now is Zerg favored

TvP has always been Protoss favored.

Stop nerfing Terran.

Though these changes are good.

lol terran is favored in every matchup noob
Edited by noseleather on 10/14/2013 10:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote

10 damage does not one-shot Banelings.

Remember that the base splash damage is still 40, and independent of the single-target damage (125 + 35 shield bonus).

Ahh, thanks for the clarification.
Reply Quote
I knew this was going to happen. Blizz, you are so afraid to nerf terran when all they do is dominate an entire race with one unit that requires no micro. Why don't we make marines auto stutter step and stim while we are at it?

Just take out any reason for terran players to have any apm at all.

The design is absurd.
Reply Quote
I knew this was going to happen. Blizz, you are so afraid to nerf terran when all they do is dominate an entire race with one unit that requires no micro. Why don't we make marines auto stutter step and stim while we are at it?

You have to burrow your wm don't you? There's your micro right there. You also have to pick where to place them. You're welcome
Reply Quote
Stop nerfing Terran. Getting tired of it. You're killing off 1/3 your player base.
Reply Quote
10/14/2013 10:34 AMPosted by Felbane
You have to burrow your wm don't you? There's your micro right there. You also have to pick where to place them. You're welcome

It's not micro, it's called set it and forget it. You set your mine down and just leave it there the rest of the game, getting free kills all game at no cost. Not even your apm.
Reply Quote
10/14/2013 10:22 AMPosted by Dayvie
This way, the total splash radius is the same as is on live, but the actual damage output is still nerfed.

That is pretty smart, I never realized nerfing the mine would gimp Terran so much early on.

What about forcing the Terran to stack mines? Right now one mine is so powerful there is zero benefit in stacking. Another idea, It might be extreme but creating a new attack-type from the mine with stronger armor modifiers from upgrades, so late game mines have less effectiveness forcing the Terran to switch tech. That way early game will remain the same but later on we will see more evolution in Terran play style.
Reply Quote

Get real. The majority will keep playing, nerfs or no nerfs. You'll still be GM, you'll still have your skill. I play Terran and even I, a silver league scrub can see that something needs to be done.
Reply Quote
It's not micro, it's called set it and forget it. You set your mine down and just leave it there the rest of the game, getting free kills all game at no cost. Not even your apm.

Right. Because I can totally afford to be constantly losing mines to mutas accompanied by overseers. Genius.
Reply Quote
10/14/2013 10:30 AMPosted by lehuutai
Just nerf the multa regenation. Zerg is the only race that just can mass one unit and win. This is ridiculous

Remove the widow mine and you can get rid of muta regeneration.

Deal?

10/14/2013 10:38 AMPosted by Felbane

Oh, is your 75/25 unit that kills everything that zerg make too expensive? Poor baby, life must be so hard as a terran. Having to make nothing all game but a 75/25 unit and a 50 minerals unit.

QQ more.
Edited by Hansome on 10/14/2013 10:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
TvZ now is Zerg favored

TvP has always been Protoss favored.

Stop nerfing Terran.

Though these changes are good.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]