StarCraft® II

[TUTORIAL] Making Melee Maps

sounds good!
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
Bump, bringing back this dead thread for those map makers who like making melee maps.
Reply Quote
Bump... felt this should be resurrected. It's an old guide but a lot of it is still basic.
Reply Quote
Sorry but bump
Reply Quote
Amazing tutorial!
I'm trying myself on a melee map, using this tutorial as reference.
And also some of the Blizzard WoL melee maps (because I cannot find a Heart of the Swarm melee map pack, anyone got a link?).

I got some questions / could need some tips:
1) Do you need to follow certain guidelines to make the map available at all or is this just make the map better and have more people play it?

2) 8 normal and 7 rich mineral fields is the minimum, but is there a maximum?
Now I don't want to put 20 mineral fields in one place but what about 9 rich ones for example?
Likewise, is there any problem with 3 Vespene geysers? And do gold expos normally come with rich Vespene geysers or normal ones?

3) Where to place Xal'naga Watchtowers? And how many? Normally there seem to be 2 around the middle, giving some view of the main paths a big army would take across the map, any other good locations?

4) On a 1v1 map, how many expos are necessary? I started a map and am not sure if I got enough of them, so far 3 (including natural) +1 gold on either side, for a total of 8.

5) Is absolute horizontal symmetry that important? How about minor differences?
How about horizontal AND vertical symmetry?
Reply Quote
I have found on most maps that 8 minerals and 2 ves are standard. now anything past the starting point is really up to you most cases it 7 rich min and 1 or 2 rich ves. other mineral expansion spots are 7 to 8 mineral with 1 or 2 vespene.

Watchtowers mostly are for either player to use as a spotter to see where or how many army may be coming to kill them. ( or be wiped out LOL) Look at your map and in testing try to put the towers in a place where it will be useful for both players. Sometime that requires 2 towers maybe 4 depeneding on how big and how many players ur map is.

Just remember that when making a starting location people will complain if the minerals are out of pocket. by that i mean make your minerals and vespene within 3 spaces of the starting location.(Use the Show Placement Grid to do this).

I have done this and after a few comments i learned that people want uniformed starting locations and after that its a crap shoot.

Good Luck
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]