StarCraft® II

Computer Stuttering Problem

Okay so this is driving me absolutely nuts!!!!

I have a stuttering issue with my computer. Where I can see a noticeable lag in video graphics, I also get a buzzing noise (audio stutter) as well as the overall performance is just terrible. I also cannot browse web pages when this is happening (pinging router times out or has high latency). This has been somewhat of an on again off again issue. I had issue's here and there and then probably did not have this issue for at least a month and now it is back again. I was playing SC2 for that month with no issue’s.

These problems first came to my attention when I was having incredibly terrible connections to the internet. I have an asus wireless mini PCIe card. Checked all of the usual issue's, found none except that when I pinged my router I was timing out or getting very high latency. This would last 1-2 hours and then I would not have the problem anymore. Internet connection was fine, other computers in my house had no issue's. I could play bioshock, resident evil 5 and dirt 2 without any real issues at the time. Could not figure out what was wrong and suspected either a motherboard or wireless card issue. However this issue disappeared so I did not pursue it.

Later after these connection issue's I ran into video and audio stuttering (buzzing noise). I actually first noticed the problem while watching videos and playing music. Pretty light loads on my computer. And this has gotten progressively worse. Was very bad the last 2 days, so that I actual shut down my computer because it was pretty bad and I was worried about damage.

**How this ties into SC2**
So tonight I did not notice the issue when I booted up. I checked the ATI site and saw that they had new drivers up. Upgraded from 10.9 to 10.10. Was playing SC2 and had no issue’s for first 5-10 min or so. Then I started having terrible lag and a little bit of a buzzing noise, so bad that everyone else was complaining. When I alt-tabbed and pinged router I did get delays but no time-outs and less than 500ms, but some measurements were very acceptable at 1-2ms. I was able to finish one game in SC2 though at a loss because the lag was tough to play with and I don’t like quitting if I can help it in case I get a win for my ally. Tried 2 coop games vs insane ai and as soon as I left my base terrible lag and had to quit. Strange part is I played a single player game after against insane AI and no issue’s. I then immediately tried a coop insane match again and terrible lag.

I believe that the router connection issue’s, video stuttering and audio stuttering are related and are signs/symptoms of something not being right. Sometimes my computer is unusable and I shut it off. Other times no issue’s and can play SC2, Resident Evil 5, Dirt 2, TF2, etc with no issue’s.

Yesterday I noticed in performance monitor spikes in the CPU and then the line would actually discontinue during the stutter and then show up again. Today no CPU spikes but page/sec and disk queue spikes.

If anyone has any input it would be very very much appreciated.
Reply Quote
Here are my computer specs:
-i7 930 @ 2.8GHz
-6 GB DDR3 1866MHZ
-Asus P6X58D premium motherboard
-Windows 7 64 bit
-ATI Sapphire HD 5970, uninstalled driver package 10.9 tonight, installed 10.10
-Corsair 750W power supply (was told this was enough power for my computer except at the time I was going for two 5770's in cross fire.) Sold those because of cooling design issues and bought a 5970.
-I do not over clock anything, nor have I ever
-I run MSI afterburning because the ATI Catalyst control never seems to increase the fan speed on its own. Although my temperatures are fine 50-60 deg C.
-Malwarebytes virus scan comes up clean
-I built this PC myself and it was my first build. Followed motherboard manual exactly and I have a pretty good understanding of PC’s already and the build went without a hitch.

So these are my suspicions:
-Graphics card driver issues, Graphics card is defective throwing off the rest of my system
-Faulty motherboard
-Insufficient watts for the power supply
-Faulty network card although don’t see how this would affect video and audio
-RAM defaults not pulled in properly by motherboard in the bios (read this on a forum) and have to set the values manually

Specs from dxdiag
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/11/2010, 23:45:04
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/24/10 12:23:42 Ver: 08.00.15
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6136MB RAM
Page File: 2344MB used, 9923MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x689C)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_689C&SUBSYS_25421002&REV_00
Display Memory: 716 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2009 MB
Shared Memory: 2803 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: SyncMaster
Monitor Id: SAM006B
Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1047 (English)
Driver Version: 8.782.0.0
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/28/2010 20:54:02, 628224 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-2BDC-11CF-8272-4805A1C2CA35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x689C
SubSys ID: 0x25421002
Revision ID: 0x0000
Driver Strong Name: oem16.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_EvergreenH:8.782.0.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_689c
Rank Of Driver: 00E62001
Edited by Athalius on 11/11/2010 9:39 PM PST
Reply Quote

I had similar issues and found it to be my RAID HDDs getting too hot. (I was tipped off by Event Viewer warnings regarding the RAID whenever the stuttering occurred)

I dropped a $30 fan up front to give 'em a cool breeze and all is well now.
Worth a shot, no?

(Edit: Sorry - I used an acronym because you seem pretty savvy.
Just in case, HDD = Hard Disk Drive)
We always tend to give our CPUs, GPUs and RAM lots of fan Love - but the Hard Drives seem to get neglected. :-) Give it a try and let me know if it helps.
Edited by Phinix on 11/12/2010 4:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks! will give that a try this week. Also now that you mention it I do have 3 hard drives all next to each other and a bunch of cables behind them that might restrict air flow and no fan directly pushing/pulling air through that area. Still heat shouldn't be an issue right after boot up but I will try to determine if the problem gets worse the longer the computer is on. Possible a drive is starting to go even though they are all practically new.

I spoke to a guy at the store I bought all the components at and he believes the power supply is sufficient but that I will probably have to start swapping components to figure out whats wrong. Will check out event viewer and try some other diagnostic tools first to get a complete picture.
Reply Quote
Thanks! will give that a try this week. Also now that you mention it I do have 3 hard drives all next to each other and a bunch of cables behind them that might restrict air flow and no fan directly pushing/pulling air through that area. Still heat shouldn't be an issue right after boot up but I will try to determine if the problem gets worse the longer the computer is on. Possible a drive is starting to go even though they are all practically new.

I spoke to a guy at the store I bought all the components at and he believes the power supply is sufficient but that I will probably have to start swapping components to figure out whats wrong. Will check out event viewer and try some other diagnostic tools first to get a complete picture.

Hmm,... I'd agree with you that it shouldn't affect you right away if it's a thermal issue on the hard drives. A CPU can get itself up to operating temperature in seconds. The hard drives don't really have that excuse, far as I'm aware,...

Still, would be worth it to get a fan in there and perhaps some cable management regardless of this stuttering issue. Your data is at risk if the hard drives are neglected. Something I learned the hard way. :-D

The stuttering you describe also really feels like disk access could be related, though. So even if a fan and clearing some room for airflow doesn't fix it, perhaps it would be worth checking into drivers/firmware related to the drives, controllers, etc.
Make sure to back up important data before any type of firmware update. Would recommend the same for drivers, but not as adamantly. Heheh.
Reply Quote
The hard drives do have a cooling fan to push air past them (forgot about that). They also are not warm to the touch, so I am trying some other solutions.

So far in the bios, setting my RAM to the listed specifications 1866Mhz, 9-9-9-24 rather than the auto settings has made my computer more stable. I can actually browse web pages, run basic programs. The stuttering is less frequent although still present.

I am cleaning out my display drivers with driver sweeper as my system was claiming I was on 10.8 when I had installed 10.10. Will also remove a turboV program that came with my motherboard software in case it is forcing the computer to overclock voltages or something. Never touched the program, but who knows.

Reply Quote
Sigh still having issue's. Tomorrow will attempt memory tests and look at cpu-z and other diagnostic tools.
Reply Quote
Any luck?
If HDDs aren't hot to the touch, it's probably not the issue.
Sorry, man,... I hope you get it figured out!
Reply Quote
Not sure if you're still having this problem but I've encountered this problem a few times in a few different machines. Sometimes switching the device into a different pci slot helps, or even just reseating it. switching pcipnp options in the bios might help too. There also might just be some hardware incompatibility so try returning it and getting another one to see if the problem still persists. The easiest thing to do would to get a usb wireless adapter, they usually never have this problem.
Reply Quote
Hey Athalius, did you ever solve your problem? I am having a similar issue. PLEASE POST SOLUTION!!!
Reply Quote
Malvora, I would suggest posting your own thread instead of resurrecting older ones.

I'm not sure on the implied rules on this type of thing, but from forums that I frequent, resurrecting old threads is frowned upon.

Regarding your problem, I would suggest installing a program like RealTemp and checking your core temperatures as well as your graphics card temperature.

Can you try updating your graphics card drivers? If the problem began after an update, try reverting.

Lastly, try running the Repair tool found in the StarCraft II install directory.
Reply Quote
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I think I know what the problem is.

The ASUS wireless card. A buddy of mine had the same problem and card a while back, switched to ethernet, and hasn't had the problem. I built a brand-new high-ish-end computer, used his wireless card, and I have the same problems. I plan to switch to ethernet, too, ASAP, to confirm...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]