StarCraft® II

Dealing With Mass Marines at 9 Minutes

I keep losing to this. Like 50 marines show up at 9 minutes, Stim and destroy me. How do I counter this as Protoss?

Mass zealots and FF?
Reply Quote
Colossi.
Reply Quote
Read again. He says at 9 minutes.

It's a tough matchup for me too, but if they've gone pure Marines (you can predict that if they've neglected to build Refineries by 4-5 minutes) at 9 minutes they probably lack a huge number of Marauders or Medivacs, so you can kite with Stalkers and block them at choke points with Sentry Forcefield. Without Medivacs they can only Stim a few times before dying off, and Guardian Shield is most useful against swarms of weak attackers like that.

Not saying it's easy, just the only real solution to it Protoss has early game.
Reply Quote
Read again. He says at 9 minutes.

It's a tough matchup for me too, but if they've gone pure Marines (you can predict that if they've neglected to build Refineries by 4-5 minutes) at 9 minutes they probably lack a huge number of Marauders or Medivacs, so you can kite with Stalkers and block them at choke points with Sentry Forcefield. Without Medivacs they can only Stim a few times before dying off, and Guardian Shield is most useful against swarms of weak attackers like that.

Not saying it's easy, just the only real solution to it Protoss has early game.

You can get colossi by 9 minutes. One base though.
Reply Quote
If he goes mass marines you need to have units out and tech as fast as you can to colossus, i am sure that your first colossus will pop out at 9.30 and you will be able to hold your ground with PO and zealots stalker sentry.
Reply Quote
Force fields are good against anything that comes before colossi - all the more if the marines rely on stim. Trap a small group of marines with the force fields, shoot it down, repeat. I would advise stalkers rather than zealots, because marines can shoot zealots from behind the FF. Also, if you are 100% certain that full marines is coming, don't hesitate to put some cannons.
In any case, the key unit is the sentry, for both force fields and guardian shields.
Reply Quote
They won't have 50 marines at your base at 9 minutes to begin with. They'll probably have more like 30 at the most, and considering you are bronze, more in the neighborhood of 20 is what I'd say. You can easily overcharge your Nexus, forcefield your main ramp so they have to eat the Nexus damage, and use gateway units to pick at the Marine count while they are in range of the Nexus cannon. You will/should have 2 overcharges ready at 9 minutes anyway.
Reply Quote
I've been taking the double colossus route after reading this thread and it's been serving me well.

Never even thought of doing a double overcharge. Learn something new every day I guess :) I'll give that a try next.

Thanks for the input guys.
Reply Quote
Guardian shields, with stalkers, zealots, a photon overcharge, and a good choke.
Reply Quote
replay me!
Reply Quote
50 marines at 9 minutes? like what, 1 base 6rax?

go dts, and start harrassing his army when he moves out so he wastes a lot of scans. colossi with mothershipcore could work too... only other "real" option would be to rush storm and hope for lucky storms
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]