StarCraft® II

Starcraft 2 matchmaking? Really?

Hi,

I am a newbie player, and id like to actually try to learn to play the game well.

And, lets be real, bots are too easy to beat since they act a specific way and you can predict what they will do.

To learn, you must play against other players.

But why in hell do i get matched up against people 10x my level, in gold league?

There is no learning here, i just get crushed, and feel bad...

Can't i like practice against people of my skill level? Is it too hard to ask for?
Reply Quote
With the number of games you've played, yes. You don't even have a large enough sample of games for any good algorithm to match you well against fair opponents.
Reply Quote
So he has to play more games, and lose, before the computer catches on that he sucks?
Reply Quote
I just triple checked and you aren't even in a league yet. The system has not had 5 placement matches either this season or a previous season ever for it to help determine your skill level, and by extension, the opponents it would deem fit to match against you.
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 07:05 PMPosted by Irasiel
But why in hell do i get matched up against people 10x my level, in gold league?

Because the Gold league ladder has been the Limbo for lon standing Platinum and Diamond players for months and months now. Its impossible to get out.
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 07:21 PMPosted by Reparkable
So he has to play more games, and lose, before the computer catches on that he sucks?

7 games played, 3 wins. That doesn't sound so bad to me, especially without ever having been placed.
Reply Quote
Are you talking about the 5 Placement Matches? The 5 games you need to take before your placed in the ladder?

That pits you in against a larger variety of skill levels, so it can determine what your skill level is.
Once you actually get placed in a league, it should put you in fair games.

Your profile says your barely play. That can be the reason. The system has insufficient data on you. The more games you play, the more the game will put against the right players.

Regardless, the system wants to have you have the same amount of losses and wins.

Btw. You can adjust the AI difficulty higher. If Gold Leaguers are giving you trouble, I'm sure the Insane AI will give you a challenge too.
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 07:21 PMPosted by LegalEagle
I just triple checked and you aren't even in a league yet. The system has not had 5 placement matches either this season or a previous season ever for it to help determine your skill level, and by extension, the opponents it would deem fit to match against you.

so what? if you've got five placement matches, then your first should at least be bronze level. then get higher until you start losing.
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 07:23 PMPosted by Miro

so what? if you've got five placement matches, then your first should at least be bronze level. then get higher until you start losing.

They usually are..That is how mine were except sometimes you can meet another guy doing his placements as well (for whatever reason).
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 07:23 PMPosted by Miro

sorry sir, that's not how Blizz's match making system works in placement, especially for someone with a clean slate.
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 07:16 PMPosted by LegalEagle
With the number of games you've played, yes. You don't even have a large enough sample of games for any good algorithm to match you well against fair opponents.

This.

One thing to note, TC: looking at your match history, I see some 2v2's and a 3v3. The match making system tracks both of those modes separately, so you should just play one if you want it to more quickly find where you are supposed to be.
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 07:25 PMPosted by LegalEagle

sorry sir, that's not how Blizz's match making system works in placement, especially for someone with a clean slate.

I realise that, but why?
Reply Quote
Because Blizzard's design team.... is not friendly to sc2 newcomers :[
Reply Quote
10 losses in a row, way fun.

Do they intend to make this game last?

If they discourage every newcomer by giving them the middle finger, they won't get many new players.
Reply Quote
yup it's stupid.
Reply Quote
Nice try with the matches played being an issue. Ive played 2300 games as a casual player and can never get players my own rank or even skill. Ive lost 7 games in a row and lost and as a bronze I should never get a higher place player intil I can win 5 games in row. this ensures newer players don't frustrated and quit like so many are doing. yes the que system is totally screwed up lost 5 as a 60 lvl bronze with every game against a top 5 silver then que a diamond and or platinum back to back?
As a bronze I should never que against a gold or higher ever! it needs a fix big time.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
If the AI is easy to beat on Elite when using strong macro builds (you tell it to do them) then you should be ready for silver at least.
Reply Quote
when the market starts to drop because no ones buying the game maybe they should start thinking about being out of work
Reply Quote
First of all, the system works fine for most people most of the time, and while it doesn't feel as finely tuned as it was in WoL, it's still fine.

Secondly, re: individuals saying they've lost x number of games in a row, that's always going to happen. You know why? Matching isn't the only factor in winning or losing. You can have a huge losing spree against inferior opponents, or a winning spree against better ranked opponents. There are a lot of factors, and humans exhibit a lot of variation in how they play.

Think of MMR less as a point, and more as a range.

In any case, if you keep playing the system will always get better at matching you up because it will have more information to go on. It will never give perfect matches, because this would require lengthy waits, but it will give good matches.
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 08:51 PMPosted by Renideo
Think of MMR less as a point, and more as a range.

This^

I am a low to mid silver (skill-wise not rank wise, rank means nothing with bonus pool) and I have games where I beat top 8 silvers and I have games where i lose to mid rank bronzes. It really depends on my play that day and what the other guy does. Sometimes bronze/silver players are the hardest to beat because we use wonky builds and strange compositions/timings. Trying to meta in silver is frustrating when your opponent isn't. That being said, keep playing, maybe check out KillerofGod's threat that is stickied on page one of General Duscussion, it has a lot of valuable resources for new players.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]