StarCraft® II

How to deal with Terran's mass tier 1?

Okay everyone says - so it must be true - that protoss is the OP race in Wings of Liberty. Whether this is true or not, I am bad and I often find myself being unable to counter a mass bioball. No matter how creative I try to get, how much aggression I put, many PvT's end up with me being overwhelmed by mass tier 1 terran units that stimpack and kill everything I have in seconds. I've tried 4 gates, fast expands, gateway + templars, colossi, and immortals in different combinations with gateway units but the result is always the same - I stand an alarmingly little chance against a massed bioball that simply stimpacks and kills everything.

Yes protoss is supposed to be OP or so I'm told when I complain about what I've described, but I'm a noob and still can't figure this out. In my experience, the only way to deal with terran is to finish the game early with a 4 gate but a 4 gate is easily stopped by a terran that blocks his ramps and drops down 2 bunkers at the entrance.

Can anyone please help me? How do you counter terran mass tier 1? What strategies do you use? Any advice for a low-level protoss in PvT?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
Okay everyone says - so it must be true - that protoss is the OP race in Wings of Liberty. Whether this is true or not, I am bad and I often find myself being unable to counter a mass bioball. No matter how creative I try to get, how much aggression I put, many PvT's end up with me being overwhelmed by mass tier 1 terran units that stimpack and kill everything I have in seconds. I've tried 4 gates, fast expands, gateway + templars, colossi, and immortals in different combinations with gateway units but the result is always the same - I stand an alarmingly little chance against a massed bioball that simply stimpacks and kills everything.

Yes protoss is supposed to be OP or so I'm told when I complain about what I've described, but I'm a noob and still can't figure this out. In my experience, the only way to deal with terran is to finish the game early with a 4 gate but a 4 gate is easily stopped by a terran that blocks his ramps and drops down 2 bunkers at the entrance.

Can anyone please help me? How do you counter terran mass tier 1? What strategies do you use? Any advice for a low-level protoss in PvT?

Thanks in advance.

Get Mothership Core for Line of Sight on the cliff, and research Blink ASAP.

If you make at least half your Blinks you can beat 2 bunkers using 4 gate. Just come at them from the end, or blink around them and avoid them entirely, forcing the marines to come out and play.

Focus Fire 55 HP marines with 6 stalkers, 45 hp marines with 5 stalkers, and let the other stalkers scatter shoot, unless you are good enough to focus fire with 2 groups at once.

This attack is actually hard to stop as Terran if the Protoss has a good build order and is executing it properly.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the response, I will keep that in mind for HotS, but assuming I don't yet have the expansion, what can I do in the regular game?
Reply Quote
Don't listen to Wade, that is just a clueless, butthurt Terran point of view on how Protoss should be played.

1 Base blink is a powerful build, but it relies on really good timings and good micro to be really effective. You should just focus on standard openings, forcefields, and rushing out AOE units (Collosus/Templar) in order to combat heavy bio play. Without the mothershipcore it's a bit harder to defend early stim timings I remember hating them in WOL. It's abusive and you have to do a lot more than the Terran who's attacking you, this was so abusive it was fixed in HOTS by adding the MSC.

My suggestion is to buy hots:D otherwise try to land good forcefields so zealots can engage the bio, rush out collosus, pray...
Reply Quote
I may be mistaken, but I believe that the ten minute timing push was the standard in TvP in WoL when I left. It still might be, idk I don't follow the WoL metagame.

If the ten minute timing push is still the norm, then the best advice I can give you is to refine your build so that you can get tier three units out at exactly 10 minutes. They will be your best friend, because they can mostly deny Terran aggression into your nat. Of course you will need decent force fields, but you should be okay.

Some Terran's, by this I mean some of the higher league ones (and then there are those who have no idea what they are doing, but try to do it anyhow) will attempt to drop your back door and then attack your front once you pull units back to deal with it. The key to stopping aggression like this is twofold, first is good macro and the second is that you have to know its coming. Its harder to defend then to do, but thats okay. Once you hold everything off, the game will be easy for you. It will be easy because you will be able to get your death ball rolling, while the Terran has been wasting units in fruitless attempts to break you.

As a side note, I LEAVE my base at ten minutes in HoTs. I consider my macro fairly good for a plat Terran, but if I were to attack you, I would hit at 10:30- 11:00 minutes. I don't know the relative skill level of the WoL leagues after the mass exodus to HoTs, but I can assure you that you should be okay so long as you refine your build order for TvP.
Reply Quote
I advise that you should do a macro build. Blink all in is still good in Wings of Liberty, but if you want to play longer games, don't use it.

Start with a 1 gate Fast Expand:
9 Pylon
13 Gateway
15 Assimilator
16 Pylon
18 Cybernetics Core
19 Zealot
22(?) Warpgate, then Stalker
24 Nexus
Robotics Facility, 2 more Gateways, and an Assimilator without too much probe cutting

Then get a forge (reasonably well timed), and upgrade +1 Armor first (then +1 Attack). Get a Robotics Support Bay at about 8 minutes, so that way you have one colossus by 10 minutes. This will let you hold the terran push.

You should have 6 warpgates by 10 minutes as well. Leave 5-6 stalkers in your main to defend drops, and the rest of your army at your natural. Even if you only have 2-3 zealots, 3 sentries, and a colossus, that is enough to defend the first attack if you have stalkers in your main (so they can't drop) and forcefields to prevent the terran from running in and killing everything. If they commit to pushing in your natural, bring the stalkers from the main. You'll want to get 3-4 sentries, and the rest zealots (until they start getting vikings, then you add a few stalkers). Also make sure to research the colossus range upgrade.

After you hold their push, (or get a colossus and some army and they don't push), take a third.

When +1 Attack is about halfway finshed, add another forge and a twilight council, so you can upgrade Blink, and +2 Armor and Attack. When blink finishes, upgrade charge.

When you reach 3 colossi, make a templar archives. Then research storm and warp in high templars.

You will end up with an army of about 4 sentries, 12 stalkers, 3 colossi, 4-6 high templars, and the rest zealots (with maybe a few archons and/or immortals). You should have some drop defense (a templar or two per base, maybe some cannons in vulnerable locations). You should have a lot of gateways by this point (at least 16 or so), and eventually want to add a second robo (for faster colossi after fights). As soon as 2/2 upgrades are done, you want to add 3/3 upgrades, and then the 3 shield upgrades.

In the fight, start by a-moving. Your zealots charge into the terran army, taking the damage. Your colossi do damage with their splash. If you can, forcefield behind the terran army to prevent it from running away. Also cast guardian shield. Then blink your stalkers towards the vikings, and use shift right click to make sure they attack the vikings. Use your templars to cast psionic storm all over their army, and possibly feedback any ghosts or medivacs. Warp in more zealots using your large amount of warpgates.

If at any point you feel you have an advantage, you can attack and try to do damage. If the game stays even, then keep following the process of 3 colossi into templars.

The most important thing is macro. Keep constant probe production until the terran moves out with the medivac push, when you cut probes until it's held. Then keep constant probe production until about 70 probes. Also keep constant colossus production, up to 3. Warpgate production is good too, but you can always add more gateways if you miss a bit.

To avoid having to fight the terran army, use harass. Warp prisms are very, very useful (especially with the speed upgrade). Proxy pylons are good, too. Send zealots to vulnerable locations, and you can kill a lot of workers. For a slightly higher investment, DT's have the potential to do even more damage. Storm drops can work as well, but the terran can avoid them with good reaction time. Finally, even if they make a planetary fortress and a turret, you can still use storm drops, or snipe the turret and use DT's, or send stalkers to hold position behind the mineral line. If you can kill all of the terran's workers, then you are in a very good spot.
Reply Quote
If they're attacking you before medivacs, you should see it coming with an observer or a probe in front of their base. In this case, chronoboost an immortal or two, and use your gateways to make zealot sentry (cut probes if necessary). You may add more gateways, or a cannon at the front of your base. Using good forcefields and guardian shields, zealot sentry immortal should be able to defend.
Reply Quote
Thank you all for your helpful responses.
Reply Quote
make colossus,
a attack
storm storm storm
win, with gateway units to of course

in higher leagues theres a lot more, but until then, thats all you really need to do.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]