StarCraft® II

D's Guide P3: Dictionary of SC2 terms

Seeing as there will be a large number of players new to starcraft and even RTS games in general I've compiled a dictionary of frequently used SC and SC2 terms.

SC2 dictionary standard:
Micro- Unit control in an individual battle or harass. A player's ability to get the most out of the units he/she owns through superior control.
Macro-The combination of a player's ability to gather resources and produce units. The player's ability to produce a large army.
Cheese- An all in strategy that is highly unorthodox and usually involves taking an opponent by surprise.
Tech or Teching- Concentrating on advancing up to better buildings and units. To tech or the act of teching involves racing to or attempting to get the most advanced units in the game.
Rush- Attempt to amass a large army very quickly. In a rush you sacrifice your economy and tech in order to overrun your opponents early on while he/she is unprepared.
Harass- As the name implies. Rather than trying to overrun your opponent completely you attempt to weaken him with smaller attacks. workers are the standard target although occasionally you'll see a player take out lone units or buildings.
Pro- Professional, people who actually make their living in SC2 tournaments. Seriously don't think you're "pro" just because you get the basics of the game.
Build, Build Order, or BO- A set order of constructing units and buildings. Often expressed in terms of supply count. A 9 pool for example is a spawning pool built at 9 supply/workers.
Proxy- Buildings that are built near your opponent instead of in your own base. It usually means you're attempting to build your units closer to your enemy so you can attack without having to cross the map. See Cheese.
Main- Your first base, your starting location
Natural- The mineral/gas location directly outside of your Main.
Third, fourth, etc- additional base locations.
AA- Anti-Air. Standard RTS term.

Zerg related:
Ling- zergling, SC1 term. Avoid if possible to avoid confusion with baneling
Speedling- speed upgraded zerglings. Speed upgrade is critical.
Crackling- zergling with speed upgrade AND the attack upgrade at pool. SC1 term.
Muta- mutalisk
Muta ling- A strong combination of mutalisks and zerglings
Muta ling baneling- muta ling with small numbers of banelings.
Ultra- Ultralisk.
Hydra- Hydralisk
Pool- spawning pool
Hatch- hatchery

Terran related:
MMM or 3M-Marine, Marauder, Medivac.
Bio- See MMM
Mech- builds consisting primarily of Factory units. Occasionally with viking and/or marauder support.
Stim- stimpack
Rax- barracks
CC- Command Center

Protoss related:
Lot- zealot, used rarely.
Blink Stalkers- Stalkers with blink.
Chargelots- Zealots with charge
VR- Void Ray
DT and HT- Dark Templar and High Templar, respectively.
FF- Force Field
Hallu- Hallucination. SC1 term, relic term and rarely used.
MS- Mothership

Part 1: Picking a Race
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/106670678

Part 2: Basic Rules to Live By.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/106670680

Part 4: Build Orders
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/109981001

Part 5: What you might not know
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/189239122

Part 6: The advantage
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/608531699
Edited by Duban on 8/26/2010 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/10
Reply Quote
Great Work! Thanks.
Reply Quote
Game guide already has tons of these acronyms, if not more.
Reply Quote
Ohhhhhh. Cheese = All in. Got it.
Reply Quote
Strange, we just call the void rays, well, 'rays'.
Reply Quote
UP! Stickit Blizzard
Reply Quote
I use the term "blinkers" for stalkers with blink. It's catching on. Just wait.
Reply Quote
I like blinkers as well.
Reply Quote
Always thought micro had more to do with base building. You know, building your base so that your units could move in and out with ease but were the enemy has a hard time attacking, more specifically getting to your workers.
Reply Quote
If I were you, I'd add GG to the list (Good Game). Sure any starcraft 1 player is going to know what that means, but, not necessarily a new player. Particularly that GG is essentially saying 'I surrender'. And that it's considered bad manners to say GG after taking heavy losses and then continue playing. As well as the fact that some players consider it bad manners to not say GG before leaving the game when you've lost.

GL HF is also something people might not immediately figure out. (Good luck, Have fun)
Edited by Torchy on 8/3/2010 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Good list, but whats APM? I see it occasionally and can't find what it is.
Reply Quote
very good, but do you honestly see a proxy pylon for warpgates as cheese. IMO its a viable strategy that i see toss players do all the time in games.( I suck so i watch a lot of replays)
Reply Quote
i have read the word 'Queens', what is that? Never played starcraft before.. but have played Strategy games before. Knowing what terms are what is huge to understanding what everyone is talkin about. Ty for takin time to make this.
Reply Quote
might I suggest another item for this guide that new players may not understand:

Workers: SCVs, drones or probes. They units who do the grunt work around your base.
Reply Quote
very good, but do you honestly see a proxy pylon for warpgates as cheese. IMO its a viable strategy that i see toss players do all the time in games.( I suck so i watch a lot of replays)

PFFt its hardly cheesy i disagree proxy pylon is used to easily field troops for reinforcements its needed unless your going air
Reply Quote
Thx! i can usually figure most of these out on my own but i was stumped on APM.. I knew it was something per minute just couldnt see the actions part..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]