StarCraft II System Requirements

(Locked)

Support Forum Agent
The minimum system requirements for StarCraft II Wings of Liberty are as follows:
  • You must have a valid e-mail address and internet connection for registration.
  • To play on Battle.net, your computer will need an active Broadband Internet connection

Mac Minimum System Requirements:

• 10.7.5, 10.8.x (Latest version)
  • Intel® Processor
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon® X1600 or better
  • 12 GB available HD space
  • 2 GB Ram
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Broadband Internet connection
  • 1024X720 minimum display resolution

Mac Recommended System Requirements:
  • Mac OS X 10.7.X (Latest version)
  • Intel® Core 2 Duo processor
  • 4 GB system RAM
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600M GT or ATI Radeon® HD 4670 or better

Note: Due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time.

*Mac OS X 10.6 is supported for a limited time. For additional information, please read our Details Regarding Mac OS X 10.6 Support thread.

Recommended video cards for low:
  • ATI Radeon X1600M
  • ATI Radeon HD 2400M
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600M
  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
  • NVidia GeForce 8600M
  • NVidia GeForce 8800 GS
  • NVidia GeForce 9400M
  • NVidia GeForce GT 120
  • NVidia GeForce GT 130
  • Intel HD 3000
  • Recommended video cards for medium:
  • ATI Radeon X1900
  • ATI Radeon HD 4670
  • AMD Radeon HD 6490M
  • NVidia GeForce 9600M GT
  • NVidia GeForce 320M
  • Recommended video cards for high:
  • ATI Radeon HD 3870
  • ATI Radeon HD 4850
  • ATI Radeon HD 4870
  • ATI Radeon HD 5670
  • ATI Radeon HD 5750
  • ATI Radeon HD 5770
  • ATI Radeon HD 5870
  • AMD Radeon HD 6750M
  • AMD Radeon HD 6770M
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970M
  • NVidia GeForce 8800 GT(Not the 8800GS found in the iMac)
  • NVidia GeForce GTX 285
  • NVidia GeForce GT 330M
  • NVidia Quadro 4800
  • NVidia Quadro 5600
  • UNSUPPORTED:
    (If you have any of these then your system is not supported)
  • Any PowerPC processor
  • Mac OS X 10.5.7 and below(This includes 10.4)
  • Mac OS X 10.6.7 and below
  • Below the latest version of Mac OS X 10.7.X
  • Intel GMA 950
  • Intel GMA X3100
  • NVidia GeForce 7300 GT
  • NVidia GeForce 7600 GT
  • NVidia Quadro 4500
  • Hackintosh
  • Supported only in bootcamp/Windows
  • NVidia GeForce 7300 GT
  • NVidia GeForce 7600 GT
  • NVidia Quadro 4500
  • Edited by Machkhan on 3/3/2013 12:44 PM PST
    Why would the NVidia GeForce 7600 GT work in windows mode and not Mac? Why would it not be supported? Its not that old of an iMac card.
    Does Blizzard not realize that recommended is supposed to mean that if you have this configuration you should be able to have all your settings at their highest? I know it's an argument in semantics but I'm starting to believe that Blizzard has something against Mac users. I guess I'm just disgruntled at how buggy this game is after all these years of waiting and all the time they spent beta testing. And don't get me started on them forcing us to be online to play!
    Blizzard Employee
    Recommended means the same on Mac and on Windows.
    Blizzard Employee
    Why would the NVidia GeForce 7600 GT work in windows mode and not Mac? Why would it not be supported? Its not that old of an iMac card.

The GeForce 7 has too many bugs to be supported. This is not the case on Windows.

We tried to support the GeForce 7 series for many years but when Apple/Nvidia stopped fixing bugs for it, we had to stop supporting it too.
    So I have 100% the recommended requirements for the game... why can't I even get close to running it at High gfx. :( I am saddened.
    I have the same issue. I meet the system requirements

4GB Ram
    Geforce 9600M GT (512)
    Core 2 Duo

and SC2 runs in low on everything and still says its causing the game to lag.

However, if I run it on Bootcamp, in windows, the game runs better .
    Little question about video cards and performance. Being one of many macbook pro users with performance issues, I've been testing various combinations of settings, and I came to the conclusion that it was mainly the shader setting that caused problems.

Question is : while my knowledge of hardware is limited, is it possible that some graphic / video cards (like the 330M or the 9600M, which are named often in the performance problems) could have problems with specific technologies used in the shader setting (like specular maps and the like).
    Well, lets just remember this folks: OSX has terrible graphics drivers. They are much slower than their windows counterparts. That would explain why the 7600 GT, which should be perfectly capable of playing SC2 with at least medium settings cannot be played.

If you guys seriously want better performance, trying playing SC2 on bootcamp. I have a radeon 4850 on an iMac C2D. On the OSX version, I put all the settings on high, and the game would suffer. On Windows however, I could put all the settings on ultra, save for textures, and it would perform better than the mac version with high settings. It is a pain in the butt to have to boot into windows, but if you folks are seriously concerned about performance, you should really consider playing SC2 in windows. I will be playing SC2 on windows until the mac version performs better than it currently does.
    I'm running the same system.

4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
    2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT (512MB)

Constant lag when playing campaign -- all Medium (recommended by the game) settings.

I was really excited to play this, now I'm just disappointed.
    lol... is there any computer out there that can run this game on ultra?
    They really should add to the Mac System Requirements, "Case-insensitive File System" .. Just a heads up if anyone is having a problem as soon as the game is installed and tries to update.

Work arounds..

Backup, reformat your system again as a case-insensitive file system, and reinstall OSX. Backing up could be problematic as you may have some files or folders that are named similarly (except for their case) and you'll have to track those down before backing things up. I did a manual backup instead of Time Machine so I could find all the discrepancies first.

Create a new disk image with Disk Utility (and give it a case-insensitive file system) and install SC2 on that. If you create a link to the StarCraft II.app on your dock, in your Applications or anywhere, OSX should automatically mount the new disk image for you so you won't have to worry about that. This is the easy way out.
    With a 320M will I have better performance in windows? I'm using low settings right now in OS X.
    With a 320M will I have better performance in windows? I'm using low settings right now in OS X.

much better.
    i have a pavillion dv9000z notebook with a nvidia 7600 on board and vista so and the employee earlier said it should work on windows but the game does'nt even try to run instead it just says the graphics drivers are not supported and i cant find another driver for it anywhere
    UNSUPPORTED:
    (If you have any of these then your system is not supported)
    - Mac OS X 10.6.0/10.6.1/10.6.2/10.6.3

Why is Mac OSX 10.6.3 Unsupported? I get major graphic issues with 10.6.4
    Edited by MrBoogeyman on 8/6/2010 9:29 PM PDT
    Just wondering...

• 2009 13" MacBook Pro

• 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

• 4 GB RAM

• NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

• yes, the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

why isn't my video card on any of the lists?
    its not recommended, supported, or unsupported.

kinda makes sense, though.
    to play, I have to set all graphics settings (even my resolution) to the lowest possible to get a decent fps.

well I guess I'll just keep waiting for that magic OS X software update that will make sc2 realize that I have a video card.

Blizzard Employee
    All the video cards should be in the first post now.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]