StarCraft® II

Custom maps?

I really don't understand this at all. Wc3's map system was so much easier. How do I play a custom map that won't open in the editor (likely protected) and isn't in the list to choose from yet?
Reply Quote
Well you can create the game however no one is going to join it because it's not in the ~20 most popular maps.

It is a major flaw with the new Battlenet. At least in SC1 people would see that you made a game on a less popular map. In the new Battlenet no one even sees that it exists.

It is great though provided you only play the most popular 10 or 20 maps.
Reply Quote
I don't understand how to even CREATE the game if it hasn't been hosted by the author yet, that is the problem. It's protected, and there are no local maps. =/ Blizzard implemented alot of fail into their most anticipated game ever.
Reply Quote
You can search for maps, which isn't super great.

As long as people are publishing maps as private, you aren't going to be able to find them.

Locked means you cannot open the map in the editor, private means you can't find it on Battle.net publicly

Multiplayer - > Create Custom Game -> Use the map search bar.

If it's your map, you can change the dropdown from blizzard to "My Published" and see all YOUR content whether it is locked or private.
Reply Quote
The system definitely needs to be refined. Everybody that hasn't made the next DotA or Footmen Frenzy clone deserve to be found too :-/
Reply Quote
I don't understand how to even CREATE the game if it hasn't been hosted by the author yet, that is the problem. It's protected, and there are no local maps. =/ Blizzard implemented alot of fail into their most anticipated game ever.

yeah sad but true
Reply Quote
they really kinda screwed us over. also you need to download the map in battlenet to play it? why can't I just make a map and email it to my friends? true they could just download it on battle net. but it makes it hard to find good stuff. you know?
Reply Quote
03/23/2012 10:01 PMPosted by raiden
they really kinda screwed us over. also you need to download the map in battlenet to play it? why can't I just make a map and email it to my friends? true they could just download it on battle net. but it makes it hard to find good stuff. you know?

The map cloud is pretty awesome though. Instead of emailing each of your friends and then emailing them an update of the map later on, you just put it online and have them search for the name of it where you can update it later. They'll be improving how maps are found in the next patch.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/4592755/Developer_Update_with_Game_Director_Dustin_Browder_-3_12_2012#blog
Reply Quote
Keep in mind the following:

1. There is no garintee that 1.5 will fix anything. I don't think its a good bet to take Blizzard at their word anymore. They've lied too many times.

2. "Protected" maps are that way for a reason. Developers spend a lot of time, especially in StarCraft 2, to make their content and they don't want ripped and altered versions of their maps flooding the system.

3. Also "Private" maps are that way for a reason. Now most of that reason is due to the popularity system. Unless its extremely unique cases a map will get one chance to rise. Only one. And mappers want their map perfected before it hits the system.

4. Perfecting maps takes a very long time because finding testers in the new system is almost impossible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]