StarCraft® II

Add custom hotkeys and WASD for movement

Don't forget you can hold down the click wheel and move the mouse for more fine-grained camera control. This, combined with screen edge scrolling, minimap use, and control jump centering should be sufficient. The WASD area is best used for hotkeys.
Reply Quote

I have customized my camera movement keys to WASD and the rest of the hotkeys around them. I can move very precisely and fluidly this way, and have quick access to all the other hotkeys as well.

How????? i've been trying to do this ... i play with a fang keypad if i could use that to play SC2 i would be in paradise.
Reply Quote
How????? i've been trying to do this ... i play with a fang keypad if i could use that to play SC2 i would be in paradise.

Check out these threads:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/374767557?page=1

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/106670767#10

Read through each one to find several different ways of customizing and all the issues concerning customizing your key-binds. Also, use the search feature for the forums, there are dozens of threads and hundreds of posts about this topic. I only listed two :-)

Edited by Denigrate on 8/13/2010 12:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I believe customizing key-binds is not allowed
Reply Quote
I believe customizing key-binds is not allowed

Hellfox and I have discussed this at length in one of the threads I listed :-D
Reply Quote
by the way, me saying its not allowed does not mean I'm against it.
Reply Quote
Hellfox believes it is not allowed. And he may be right. You might even get banned for doing it.

I, on the other hand, believe that it just hasn't been implemented yet. Blizzard has made several off-hand, very vague remarks along this line. There are many people on both sides of the issue.

Because Blizzard has yet to make an official statement on this, nobody knows for sure. Keep this in mind if you choose to customize your keys.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/165186718 First go to this dude and read what he has to say!!!! lol im not going to repeat and dont forget to go to the bottom bellow his wall of text and read the patch archive part u will need to replace both, well i replace both in normal and in the archive i dont know if thats over kill but what ev. I recommend changing this key set first and deleting any keys with wasd bound to the command. This is phase one, next u will have to go through the same process but instead of going into C:\Program Files\StarCraft II\Versions\Base15405\patch-enUS.SC2Archive\Mods\Liberty.SC2mods, you will need to go to Core.SC2Mods En.US.SC2DATA\ Localized Data\GameHotkeys.txt in here u can scroll down to Button/Hotkey/Taunt=T

Button/Hotkey/Taunt=T
UI/Accept_Hotkey=A
UI/Apply_Hotkey=A
UI/Back_Hotkey=B
UI/BattleNet_Hotkey=B
UI/Campaign_Hotkey=C
UI/CampaignPanelContinue_Hotkey=C
UI/CampaignPanelLoad_Hotkey=L
UI/CampaignPanelNewCampaign_Hotkey=N
UI/CampaignPanelTutorial_Hotkey=T
UI/ScreenReplayBack_Hotkey=B
UI/ScreenReplayLoad_Hotkey=L
UI/ScreenSingleChallenge_Hotkey=H
UI/ScreenSingleCustomGame_Hotkey=U
UI/ChallengePanelBack_Hotkey=B
UI/ChallengePanelPlay_Hotkey=P
UI/CancelMulti_Hotkey=A
UI/Cancel_Hotkey=C
UI/Challenge_Hotkey=C
UI/Chat_Hotkey=C
UI/Clan_Hotkey=L
UI/Close_Hotkey=C
UI/Continue_Hotkey=C
UI/CreateGame_Hotkey=C
UI/Credits_Hotkey=E
UI/CustomGame_Hotkey=G
UI/DebugMap_Hotkey=D
UI/Defaults_Hotkey=D
UI/Delete_Hotkey=D
UI/DropPlayers_Hotkey=D
UI/ExitDialog_No_Hotkey=N
UI/ExitDialog_Yes_Hotkey=Y
UI/GameMenuAbortMission_Hotkey=A
UI/GameMenuAccept_Hotkey=A
UI/GameMenuCancel_Hotkey=C
UI/GameMenuClose_Hotkey=C
UI/GameMenuDefault_Hotkey=D
UI/GameMenuDelete_Hotkey=D
UI/GameMenuExitProgram_Hotkey=E
UI/GameMenuGameplay_Hotkey=M
UI/GameMenuGraphics_Hotkey=G
UI/GameMenuLoad_Hotkey=L
UI/GameMenuLoadLast_Hotkey=S
UI/GameMenuOptions_Hotkey=O
UI/GameMenuPause_Hotkey=P
UI/GameMenuQuitCampaign_Hotkey=Q
UI/GameMenuQuitReplay_Hotkey=Q
UI/GameMenuQuit_Hotkey=Q
UI/GameMenuReplay_Hotkey=P
UI/GameMenuRestart_Hotkey=R
UI/GameMenuResume_Hotkey=U
UI/GameMenuReturn_Hotkey=G
UI/GameMenuSave_Hotkey=S
UI/GameMenuScoreScreen_Hotkey=S
UI/GameMenuSound_Hotkey=S
UI/GameMenuSurrender_Hotkey=N
UI/GameMenuVideo_Hotkey=R
UI/GameMenuVoice_Hotkey=V
UI/Gameplay_Hotkey=M
UI/Graph_Hotkey=G
UI/Graphics_Hotkey=G
UI/Hotkeys_Hotkey=H
UI/JoinGame_Hotkey=J
UI/Ladder_Hotkey=L
UI/Load_Hotkey=L
UI/Login_Hotkey=L
UI/Mail_Hotkey=M
UI/Multiplayer_Hotkey=M
UI/New_Hotkey=N
UI/News_Hotkey=N
UI/Ok_Hotkey=O
UI/Options_Hotkey=O
UI/Overview_Hotkey=O
UI/PlanetPanelLaunch_Hotkey=L
UI/PlayGame_Hotkey=P
UI/Play_Hotkey=P
UI/Profile_Hotkey=O
UI/Quit_Hotkey=Q
UI/Ready_Hotkey=R
UI/Replay_Hotkey=R
UI/Resources_Hotkey=R
UI/SaveReplay_Hotkey=S
UI/Save_Hotkey=S
UI/SendChat_Hotkey=S
UI/Singleplayer_Hotkey=S
UI/Skirmish_Hotkey=S
UI/Social_Hotkey=B
UI/Sound_Hotkey=S
UI/StandardDialog_Cancel_Hotkey=C
UI/StandardDialog_No_Hotkey=N
UI/StandardDialog_Ok_Hotkey=O
UI/StandardDialog_Yes_Hotkey=Y
UI/StartGame_Hotkey=S
UI/Structures_Hotkey=S
UI/Table_Hotkey=T
UI/Units_Hotkey=U
UI/VictoryPanelContinue_Hotkey=C
UI/VictoryPanelPlay_Again_Hotkey=P
UI/Video_Hotkey=R
UI/ViewReplay_Hotkey=V
UI/Voice_Hotkey=V
UI/Hotkey/AICommunication=Apostrophe
UI/Hotkey/AIAssault=A
UI/Hotkey/AICancel=Escape
UI/Hotkey/AIDefend=D
UI/Hotkey/AIDetect=T
UI/Hotkey/AIExpand=E
UI/Hotkey/AIHarass=H
UI/Hotkey/AIRally=Y
UI/Hotkey/AIScout=S
UI/Hotkey/AIMinerals=R
UI/Hotkey/AIVespene=V
UI/Hotkey/AlertRecall=Space
UI/Hotkey/CameraCenter=Control+F
UI/Hotkey/CameraFollow=Control+Shift+F
UI/Hotkey/CameraMoveDown=S <-----------------------------
UI/Hotkey/CameraMoveLeft=A <-------------------------------
UI/Hotkey/CameraMoveRight=D <----------------------------
UI/Hotkey/CameraMoveUp=W <------------------------------
UI/Hotkey/CameraSave0=Control+F5
UI/Hotkey/CameraSave1=Control+F6
UI/Hotkey/CameraSave2=Control+F7
UI/Hotkey/CameraSave3=Control+F8
UI/Hotkey/CameraSave4=
UI/Hotkey/CameraSave5=
UI/Hotkey/CameraSave6=
UI/Hotkey/CameraSave7=
UI/Hotkey/CameraTurnLeft=Insert
UI/Hotkey/CameraTurnRight=Delete
UI/Hotkey/CameraView0=F5
UI/Hotkey/CameraView1=F6
UI/Hotkey/CameraView2=F7
UI/Hotkey/CameraView3=F8
UI/Hotkey/CameraView4=
UI/Hotkey/CameraView5=
UI/Hotkey/CameraView6=
UI/Hotkey/CameraView7=
UI/Hotkey/CameraZoomFirst=Home
UI/Hotkey/CameraZoomLast=End
UI/Hotkey/CameraZoomNext=PageDown
UI/Hotkey/CameraZoomPrev=PageUp
Reply Quote
all i have to say is i completely disagree with all the post on here. although i i don't use the wasd to move the camera i would rather use the sdfe to move the camera and have all the other hotkey bind to the default left hand typing position. that way u can move the camera while having all accesss to all the hotkey without having to move ur hand all over the keyboard. people say moving camera with mouse is much better but its not. u can't click and issue command at the same time when u are trying to move the camera around. if u use sdfe to move camera then u can click while still moving to where u want at the same time which is way much faster !! than using mouse to edge to screen then issue ur command. if u use the sdfe to move the camera around u have so many other keys around for hotkey like qwrtagzxcvb which is all on ur left hand side for hotkeys which i believe is enough to be use for all unit and command in the game. i really wish they let u edit ur own hotkey cuz ibelieve this is the best and fastestway to play the game because u can click and move at the same time.
Reply Quote
I am baffled by the number of people that move their camera with the mouse. I don't even know how you would get away with winning a single match that way.

Conveniently, I'm left-handed, so when I'm not hot-keying my right hand rests there anyway :P
Reply Quote
Visit www.hotkeynet.com

You can remap every key and it works perfectly. There are other programs that do the same thing, but I like this program. It supports mouse clicks as well, which I used in SC1 to get me the perfect worker spread at the start of the game by shift-clicking off each unit. There are tons of possibilities, and even ways to 'macro' in functionality which would normally take a lot longer to do manually. For example, you can have one keypress select a control group of buildings and spam a certain unit to be built, so that with one keypress you achieve the result of 20 keypresses.

I also used this to remap ESDF to the arrow keys for moving the camera. My micro works 100% better when I don't have to move the mouse from the edge of the screen to the middle where my units are.

Enjoy.

(There are other programs which work just the same and even better, but again the way this program is coded is why I like it so much)
Reply Quote
you should be using more control groups and using them to move around the screen not arrow keys. when you do move short distances use the mouse to scroll the edge of the screen. and if you need to go somewhere far away you dont have units at that are control grouped just click the minimap.

you shouldnt have any use for wasd for movement. i know you may be used to it from other games like fps and wow but this is a different game and you should try to get comfortable using this games system not trying to bring your old habits over.
Reply Quote
Use the mouse, maybe you need to get used to a higher sensitivity if you have trouble using the mouse to move.

WASD is for FPS.
Reply Quote
Play SC1, they did this as well( arrow & mouse for move), nuff said, stop trying to QQ cuz u like FPSers
Reply Quote
i don't even play fps game. it just way faster to be able to move and click at same time. sheesh its just common sense. think about it omg. u want to move the screen over a bit so u move your mouse to the edge. then u hit ur hotkey then u click to where to want. how is that faster than moving the camera over with sdfe then hit ur hotkey and click to where u want when u can move and click at the same time? sheesh i don't get it at all do u peple not have common sense. like i say all ur hotkey is still at ur disposal even if ur still using sdfe to move camera cuz its all still on ur left hand side. basically all ur hotkey is still there same as moving with mouse. it just way faster to move and click at the same time if u don't use ur mouse to move the camera. as for control group if u did it my way u still have access to 1-6 without ever having to move ur hand
Edited by Yuzuha on 8/24/2010 6:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]