StarCraft® II

Call to Action: January 31 Balance Testing

Community Manager
We just published a new Balance Test Map to the StarCraft II Custom Games list entitled "Frost LE (2.1.0 Balance v1.0)". This time we're testing a few tweaks across all three races for the reasons mentioned in David Kim's recent forum post. Furthermore, we also published an Extension Mod titled "Balance Test Mod" and you can read our Call to Action blog to get instructions for accessing it.

Have a look at the changes below, then give them a whirl in-game!

Protoss
    Mothership Core
  • Photon Overcharge duration decreased from 60 to 50 seconds.
  • Time Warp energy cost increased from 75 to 100.

Tempest
  • Resonance Coil ground weapon damage increased from 30 to 30 + 30 vs. Structures.

Terran
    Ghost
  • Starting energy increased from 50 to 75.
  • The Moebius Reactor upgrade has been removed from the Ghost Academy.

Zerg
    Hydralisk
  • Cost decreased from 100/50 to 100/25.

We'd like to remind you that the changes listed above are not final. Once you've played a few games on the test map, please feel free to let us know what you think of the changes by leaving a comment in this thread.

Thank you very much!
Reply Quote
Will get to playing it soon enough. Interesting changes indeed. I'll edit post when I've played a few matches.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the update Spyrian!
Time Warp energy cost increased from 75 to 100
The Time Warp change is fantastic, definitely a step in the right direction. I'm glad that it reduces the strength of 10 Gate openers against Reaper/Reactor FE.

However, it may not be enough of a nerf to two base Blink Stalker All-Ins. After trying a few against Terran, one Time Warp thrown on the ramp was still incredibly powerful and immediately game ending.

Please consider reducing the sight radius of the Mothership Core. The Blink Stalker All-In has quite a lot of burst damage and relies on catching the Terran army out of position for a moment. Because of this, the build remains relatively unaffected.
Photon Overcharge duration decreased from 60 seconds to 50 seconds.
PvT did not feel much different from before. The Photon Overcharge forced the Medivac to retreat, and I still had plenty of time to warp-in a round of units (Stalkers + 1 HT) for any future drop attempts.

Increasing the energy cost of Photon Overcharge from 100 to 125 would be a more meaningful change, since two bases could not be covered at the same time anymore.

I did not get to try Photon Overcharge in PvP or PvZ yet.
The Moebius Reactor upgrade has been removed from the Ghost Academy.
One player tried to do a quick Ghost Marine push against me. Surprisingly, it didn’t do much damage because he was cash-strapped for minerals on the one base.

There may be some new powerful 2 base all-ins that come from this change, but most of the concerns about Ghost rushing can definitely be put to rest. Terran does not have enough income off of 1 base to deal any significant damage.
Hydralisk cost decreased from 100/50 to 100/25.
This change is absolutely way too powerful in ZvP, I was able to overwhelm my opponent off of 3 bases with pure Roach Hydra. Refining the build and adding in Vipers would be brutal against Protoss, please do not patch this into the game.

Doncroft made an excellent thread with alternative changes here:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/11422312254

I did not get to try Hydralisks in ZvT or ZvZ yet.

Thank you for reading!
Edited by Axiom on 1/31/2014 8:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
The Tempest change is ridiculous, thanks for making Proxy Tempest more popular.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
01/31/2014 04:57 PMPosted by Memadbyte

Nothing has been "made". Let's try it out, give it a chance... you know, test it!
Reply Quote

Implying it ever was popular.
Reply Quote

Wouldn't that also be based on whether the Ghost/MCore changes allow Terran to feel more safe to scout or be aggressive?
Might see an early Ghost to EMP the MCore early on? (mech or bio)
Reply Quote
omg I'm so bad :(
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 05:01 PMPosted by Hunta

Reply Quote
01/31/2014 04:46 PMPosted by Spyrian
Tempest
Resonance Coil ground weapon damage increased from 30 to 30 + 30 vs. Structures.

……What should I say? Happy Chinese New Year?
Reply Quote
I look forward to testing these changes, as I have the next 2 days off from work :D
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 05:01 PMPosted by Hunta

Implying ZvP is the only matchup. This is just another band aid fix that is going to cause more problems than it will fix like the mothership core. They should be attacking the root of the problem which is the design of the swarmhost. Also people that are casual and like team games are going to have a hell of a time because almost every team game map has tons of dead space.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 04:46 PMPosted by Spyrian
Terran
Ghost
Starting energy increased from 50 to 75.

Anyone wanna to try a Ghost rush?
Reply Quote
Please don't go through with the Tempest buff.

Please Don't buff another Protoss All in

Terran is at 3/32 in the GSL

High Master Protoss are beating GSL winning Terrans forget just Code S.

Please there is a problem.

If you really want the tempest buff to go through make it vs biological buildings.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 05:31 PMPosted by Nasax

If you really want the tempest buff to go through make it vs biological buildings.

there's no way a true masters level player is beating a code s player no matter what the race is.
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 05:40 PMPosted by andrew
01/31/2014 05:31 PMPosted by Nasax

there's no way a true masters level player is beating a code s player no matter what the race is.

hmmm?

I'm pretty sure that happened in the IEM games today.

Also that happens all the time when there are race imbalances. High Masters is the top Masters players not just your average run of the mill Masters.

I've seen taeja lose to Master Protoss on ladder. He's definitely a Code S contender and one of the best players in the world.
Reply Quote
I saw Jaedong lose to a diamond once. Whats your point?
Reply Quote
If the tempest change does not pan out the way you want it to (such as having unintended consequences or if it just feels like bad design) may I suggest that instead to return the WOL version of mass recall to the mothership? During hots beta it was removed for, I suppose, consistency with the core despite movement speed and photon overcharge not carrying over between the units.
Reply Quote
And the Roach buff? I wish see more burrowed Roachs.
Edited by DieGo on 1/31/2014 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 06:05 PMPosted by tilt
I saw Jaedong lose to a diamond once. Whats your point?

Where on ladder? That's a lot different then a tournament game with prize pools.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]