StarCraft® II

infantry weaponry

The M16, the M4A1, the M4A2, M16A1, etc. etc. These guns have been the workhouse behind the U.S. military for several decades now. There have been many complaints about these guns but overall they've done well for the U.S. But I think it's time for a change. I think we need to get rid of these guns soon and we tried at one point with prototypes like the XM8 but those all failed and were never produced by the U.S. military. What assault rifles will be up and coming?

The SAW is possibly seeing its final years with the IAR thats coming out, our snipers are fine the way they are right now, but what about our assault rifles?

I was hoping maybe the SCAR-H and SCAR-L would replace the M weapons, I loved their design, firepower, and versatility, but I dont see the army replacing the M weapons with these at all. So then what is the next weapon?

We've had many threads focusing on the distant future with space suits and giant land carriers. But what about the next decade or even few years? Why do we continue to field this outdated gun?

I didn't really find anything useful online thats for sure, Engineer do you know if the Army found a possible candidate to replace these guns?
Reply Quote
02/12/2014 07:34 PMPosted by Luftwaffe
Engineer do you know if the Army found a possible candidate to replace these guns?

I'm sorry, but no.
Reply Quote
It would seem that traditional infantry are not the most promising investment for improving your army of tomorrow. The army is more focused on supplying their soldiers with better IFVs, air support, fires support, logistical support, VTOL transport, and unmanned ground combat vehicles, and is not really interested in investing in trying to improve their assault rifles, because that's what would provide the least back on their investment.
Reply Quote
02/12/2014 10:11 PMPosted by Engineer
It would seem that traditional infantry are not the most promising investment for improving your army of tomorrow. The army is more focused on supplying their soldiers with better IFVs, air support, fires support, logistical support, VTOL transport, and unmanned ground combat vehicles, and is not really interested in investing in trying to improve their assault rifles, because that's what would provide the least back on their investment.

I just dont understand them choosing the upgraded M4 variant over the SCAR series... seriously those guns whooped !@# over the M weapons.
Reply Quote
02/17/2014 06:48 PMPosted by Luftwaffe
02/12/2014 10:11 PMPosted by Engineer

I just dont understand them choosing the upgraded M4 variant over the SCAR series... seriously those guns whooped !@# over the M weapons.

I heard one time that the M4, when introduced, intentionally wasn't extremely lethal, this would leave the enemy more injured to evacuate and treat, or at least check on with a medic only to give up on.
Reply Quote
02/17/2014 07:06 PMPosted by Engineer
02/17/2014 06:48 PMPosted by Luftwaffe

I heard one time that the M4, when introduced, intentionally wasn't extremely lethal, this would leave the enemy more injured to evacuate and treat, or at least check on with a medic only to give up on.

Thats what they did with landmines, to intentionally put a burden on enemy logistics rather than causing casualties, personally I think that's very dishonorable and almost degrading, and even more so evil (forcing humans to live difficult and impaired lives). But hey, when has modern warfare ever been honorable? Time to stop thinking old school I guess.
Reply Quote
I think the most obvious solution here is to eliminate bullets altogether-or at least change them significantly. Replace them with heatseeking rockets about the size of a banana. Even a near miss would give unprotected infantry a concussion. Secondly, arm normal bullets with explosives. A hit would break ribs or other bones, even through bulletproof vests.
Reply Quote
02/22/2014 05:10 PMPosted by Maverick
I think the most obvious solution here is to eliminate bullets altogether-or at least change them significantly. Replace them with heatseeking rockets about the size of a banana. Even a near miss would give unprotected infantry a concussion. Secondly, arm normal bullets with explosives. A hit would break ribs or other bones, even through bulletproof vests.

That would make bullets extremely expensive and dangerous (who knows iff the weapon jams up or something that bullet is blowing you up in the face while your friends are holding their ears). I'm keeping my money with either railgun or laser technology.

I think we'll go to laser technology and once railgun technology advances to become extremely powerful (I'm talking high end hypersonic scale to high hypersonic) then there might be a mix of technology in the military with both techs being utilized, lasers to melt targets with railguns to deliver precise extreme piercing power to say a vehicle or fortification.
Reply Quote
02/22/2014 05:10 PMPosted by Maverick

Currently the cost would make this impossible, and the sensors and guidance system would take up the majority of the space in an extremely small rocket. Also, the process of locking on takes too long in most infantry engagements; there's also a lot of risk that something might go wrong. People have much smaller heat signatures than tanks or planes, and can hide. The missile would have extreme difficulty working in a very crowded environment, due to there being so many nearly identical objects to separate the target from.
Reply Quote
I see. I was not saying, however, that this would be implemented IMMEDIATELY; only at some point in the future.
Reply Quote
02/23/2014 10:03 AMPosted by Maverick
I see. I was not saying, however, that this would be implemented IMMEDIATELY; only at some point in the future.

Search up warhammer 40K space marines if you like the idea of explosive bullets, these bolters will knock your socks off because the sheer power is ludicrous for a handheld weapon.
Reply Quote
I have looked up Warhammer 40k, but could not find any specific information.
Reply Quote
02/23/2014 10:23 AMPosted by Maverick
I have looked up Warhammer 40k, but could not find any specific information.

Warhammer 40K bolter, variant used by space marines.

It essentially fires a 40MM bullet filled with explosives, propellant to increase speed and stabilize the bullet, and a mass reactor to accurately time the explosion for maximum effectiveness. it also has the same fire rate of an AK-47 and the bullets travel at hypersonic speeds. Thats the small one too there are other bolter that fire bigger meaner bullets.
Reply Quote
02/23/2014 10:28 AMPosted by Luftwaffe

It essentially fires a 40MM bullet filled with explosives, propellant to increase speed and stabilize the bullet, and a mass reactor to accurately time the explosion for maximum effectiveness. it also has the same fire rate of an AK-47 and the bullets travel at hypersonic speeds. Thats the small one too there are other bolter that fire bigger meaner bullets.

It sounded believable until 'hypersonic'.
Reply Quote
02/23/2014 08:23 PMPosted by Engineer
02/23/2014 10:28 AMPosted by Luftwaffe

It sounded believable until 'hypersonic'.

It is a videogame in the end ;P
Reply Quote
Ok, Thank you.
Reply Quote
Use C14 gauss rifles because they > ABRHAMS TANK
Reply Quote
09/03/2014 01:49 PMPosted by Franglais
Use C14 gauss rifles because they > ABRHAMS TANK

Lol basically, the hypersonic speed gives the bullet kinetic energy like nothing we got in the field of hand-held weaponry.

Blizzaard never specified so we have two things to deal with.

The low end specs for the gauss rifle puts its bullets flying at a whopping mach 5.

The high end specs have it flying at mach 10.

Low end specs already decimate the living !@#$ out of everything we have, high end specs would make this thing a god gun.

EDIT

According to starcraft lore, bottom of the barrel bog marines apparently engage wraiths (small air fighters) at over 10 Kilometers away... Successfully....
Edited by Luftwaffe on 9/3/2014 5:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The reason the assault rifle isn't likely to be upgraded soon is, frankly, it's an anti-personnel weapon that really doesn't need the upgrade. It does it's job, it does it well, and it experiences no huge problem. There's a limit to how much better it can be in it's role at the moment - modern assault rifles won't gain very much from an increase in range, as sniper rifles can do it better, are already accurate enough for any conflict they're used in, and do more than enough damage to rip through personal armor in any engagement you'd find them in.
You could make the gun hit harder, but they kill stuff well enough right now.
You could make them more accurate, but it really wouldn't change the already high accuracy rates of most soldiers.
You can make them explosive as suggested, but it isn't necessary when most soldiers will probably just actually hit their target properly.
It's basically at the point where you'd need to be using something else entirely to make it better, as it's design just can't be improved upon at the moment, though the moment CMC-issue armor starts comin out the arsenal might need to be rethought.
Reply Quote
10/15/2014 07:37 AMPosted by AgentAAA
CMC-issue armor starts comin out the arsenal might need to be rethought.

Essentially yes, but I don't believe that the CMC was created in response to the gauss rifle nor vice versa. Both were actually created simaltaneously FOR EACH OTHER.

The game states that the CMC armor is specifically tailored to work well with the gauss rifle with things like auto-aiming (calibrated for the specs of the gauss rifle), recoil control, shoulder pauldrons designed to store C-14 Gauss rifle mags, etc.

That being said, terrans faced a much different enemy than modern RL humanity.

One cannot equate terrorist sandfleas (we are fighting right now) with melee-heavy super armored zerg.

The only thing similar about the zerg and the sandfleas is that they both excel in guerrilla warfare and fast big offensives.

They begin to differ in that the zerg are generally armored, melee-oriented, in huge swarms, and love shoving everything at one specific target at a time.

To counter this the terrans needed the ability to:

#1 field infantry with huge amounts of durability and firepower (CMC + C-14)

#2 construct heavily fortified positions to withstand constant assaults from huge waves of enemies

The U.S right now doesn't need extremely durable infantry or the ability to fortify positions heavily and rather, only needs to retain air and sea supremacy to effectively combat any enemy in the world.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]