StarCraft® II

(Temporary thread title)

There hasn't been much going on in the technology and science forum lately, so I thought I'd ask you guys about a topic which I know nothing about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpbDHxCV29A
I'll quote from the comments:
Person #1:
"Show us the next step: first sex."
Person #2 (replying to person #1):
"You're pathetic."
(Engineer) (replying to person #2):
"I'm not supporting [person #1], but why is watching strangers kiss and watching strangers have sex completely polar and opposite? They're both physical expressions of connection to a mate. In my opinion, it's disgusting that someone would let themselves get so tied up in someone for absolutely no reason (assuming it's true that these people are strangers). No matter what the level of physical show, it's all still lying, IMO. You're showing them that you want to derive happiness from doing things with them (are interested in them as a mate), and then you're like, "Nope, you're nobody to me." If they're not nobody's to each other, then it's false that they're two randomly picked people with no connection to each other."
"Oh, and if you say that they went from to randomly picked strangers to two people with a romantic connection, then you're saying that the fact that you have a romantic connection with someone doesn't mean there's anything special about them what so ever, considering you can form a romantic relationship with a random person that did not have to meet any requirements at all."

Of course, on Youtube I always have a more aggressive tone than I would here. I guess I just give into the general tone over in those comments.

Feel free to suggest a thread title. I figured I'd see what discussions arise and then base it off of that.
Edited by Engineer on 3/11/2014 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/11/2014 09:19 AMPosted by Engineer
but why is watching strangers kiss and watching strangers have sex completely polar and opposite? They're both physical expressions of connection to a mate.

I guess one can say it's because of the "intensity" so to speak of one action compared to the other. Also, intercourse is a means of bonding two humans further, hence the privacy, it's THEIR moment, not yours. If you ask me, !@#$ stars aren't normal people.
Reply Quote
03/12/2014 04:18 AMPosted by Luftwaffe
"intensity"

Yes, I realize that, but you're still doing the same exact thing to a different extent. Why is one viewed as good and the other one as bad when they're the same thing?
Reply Quote
03/12/2014 04:18 AMPosted by Luftwaffe
Also, intercourse is a means of bonding two humans further, hence the privacy, it's THEIR moment, not yours.

Hence why when one becomes promiscuous and has sex with other women other than his/her decided partner it is known generally in the population as "cheating", now I guess you can get into a huge debate on whether or not watching others is right/wrong but that question is so hilariously subjective that theres no point in debating something that can have multiple answers and be true.

I understand the filler thread because of the staleness so to speak of the sci tech forum but this debate isn't the way to go.

Also, pure technology discussing forums tend to die out.

Which forums tend to have the most intense and interesting debates? Forums like the one on morality, religion, etc. Topics that are a bit more abstract. We can revive the older topics, that's always an option.

EDIT

Whether youre offended or not idc, but judged by how you're "speaking" are you a greasy old man? !@#$ addict/sex addict? anything that society looks down upon? (except i dont look down upon sex addiction because frankly I don't believe in an addiction like that).

DOUBLE EDIT

I mean I guess you can view it as good but go ahead, by all means barge onto random people having sex. Just pray that you dont get your !@# handed to you by an angry couple.
Edited by Luftwaffe on 3/12/2014 3:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I said specifically that I'm not supporting anything.

I'm not supporting [person #1]

I'm just wondering: how making out with a randomly picked person is a good thing?
Edited by Engineer on 3/12/2014 5:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Luftwaffe, did you even read the post?

In my opinion, it's disgusting that someone would let themselves get so tied up in someone for absolutely no reason (assuming it's true that these people are strangers). No matter what the level of physical show, it's all still lying, IMO. You're showing them that you want to derive happiness from doing things with them (are interested in them as a mate), and then you're like, "Nope, you're nobody to me."

How the heck did you decide that I was supporting something?
Reply Quote
03/12/2014 05:23 PMPosted by Engineer
I'm just wondering: how making out with a randomly picked person is a good thing?

It depends, one night stands are generally frowned upon by the elderly and "wise" of society but the youngers in society do it all the time. The younger dont give a !@#$ and the older say its terrible while the children think nothing of it since they almost cant really think about it.

That being said, sometimes to find your true partner you gotta go out on a limb and just meet people, one night stands personally i can care less and dont think are bad or good just theyre just there, if that makes sense.
Reply Quote
03/13/2014 06:09 PMPosted by Luftwaffe
one night stands

to find your true partner you gotta go out on a limb

No, this is not what I'm talking about. I mean literally random people. That's what the premise of this video was stated to be.
Some people say that their spouse is one in a million. This may be an exaggeration, so let's say that you would happily marry one in 10,000 people (only 1% of a million). There's large schools with this many students.
Are you saying that you're going to make out with about 5,000 people in order to know whether or not you want to marry them? There must be a faster, safer, more hygienic, more efficient, and less disgusting way to figure out if a random person is suitable as you're true mate.
I think we can agree that there's a lot of choosing that choosing that should be done before you make out with someone.
I personally would go far as to say that people go to the next step not because it's the most efficient and ethical way to find a true mate, but because they are seeking immediate (or soon) pleasure, regardless of the probability of the person becoming their true mate.

just meet people

I ABSOLUTELY support that. But getting to know someone an making out with them are not the exact same thing.
Reply Quote
frowned upon by the elderly and "wise"

Are you trying to generalize me with "the elderly"? At least wait until I'm no longer a teenager, geez.
Reply Quote
03/13/2014 07:06 PMPosted by Engineer
There must be a faster, safer, more hygienic, more efficient, and less disgusting way to figure out if a random person is suitable as you're true mate.

Faster? no

Efficient? Most likely

Get to know your partner first through conversation, experiences, etc., that being said with things like testosterone flying around in the bodies of younger people I'm more than sure many wouldn't give a damn who they're screwing as long as she's hot.

There will always be "random sex" as long as testosterone flies in our bodies. Not much to say there.
Reply Quote
03/13/2014 07:07 PMPosted by Engineer
frowned upon by the elderly and "wise"

Are you trying to generalize me with "the elderly"? At least wait until I'm no longer a teenager, geez.

Absolutely not, although if i were to be called an elder I would take it more of as a compliment rather than an insult, I was making the statement that different age groups have generally different opinions on certain norms in human society, mainly the "issue" of really short disastrous relationships and one night stands.
Reply Quote
Alright, I'm satisfied with this thread. Hopefully we can come up with a thread that's more on-topic.
Reply Quote
03/14/2014 07:39 PMPosted by Engineer
Alright, I'm satisfied with this thread. Hopefully we can come up with a thread that's more on-topic.

Indeed
Reply Quote
We need hylozoist although im not sure if she ever made her own thread rather than only respond to threads. remember that micro tank thread? Wouldnt that go against the tomorrows good tank thread?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]