StarCraft® II

Transforming Tanks

I've discussed transforming tanks before (in my thread "Tomorrow's Optionally Manned Main Battle Tank")

02/02/2014 11:27 AMPosted by Engineer
-Make all armor beyond that capable of withstanding small arms fire removable/modular
-Give the tank a diesel-electric drive with the electric motors in the wheels such that the tank can operate without tracks.
-Give the tank water impellers for amphibious operations.

Dual Weight Class
-Putting MBT tracks on a much lighter system might seem like a total waste of weight and cost, but the size and number of the road wheels allows it to operate with good mobility without the tracks, which increases speed and fuel efficiency. The relatively very high strength suspension would allow the vehicle (without humans on board) to be airdropped from low altitude without a parachute. The exact maximum altitude for this has yet to be determined.
-Quick field maintenance allows you to turn what you just airdropped or drove onto the beach into a MBT.
-Instead of having to follow up light vehicle deliveries by delivering entire heavier vehicles, you only have to follow it up by delivering the armor, tracks, and possibly a couple other components, which is much easier than delivering the entire vehicle, since it's lighter.
-In an emergency situation, this MBT could detach its armor to prevent having the tank sink (This happens, a M1 Abrams accidently drove off a bride during operation Iraqi Freedom, the tank was effectively lost [although I'm sure they salvaged it later]) or be stuck at the bottom of a river after a failed attempt at fording. If within reach, winching the armor out of the water sometime after would be relatively simple, since you could do it one piece at a time.
-One small benefit is the ability to equip the tracks without equipping most of the armor, thus making a vehicle which is able to drive at nearly full speed over snow and mud.
-It's hard to predict how much heavy armor the military will need decades from now, so this vehicle allows you to adjust your ratio of heavy armor to lighter/more mobile vehicles from conflict to conflict, or even from battle to battle, as enemy weapons, active defense technologies, and budgets change.

02/24/2014 05:17 PMPosted by Engineer
What I though of was having a multiple-legged armored vehicle comprised of multiple single-legged modules.

02/25/2014 08:21 AMPosted by Engineer
To make things simple, lets say each module is a cube with a leg on the bottom, the entire tank would be like a pack of water bottles, if each module was a water bottle. They'd simply be in rows and columns. Remember, each module can fit through a door, while the whole vehicle is about the size of a normal tank.

The modules were to have extreme mobility, including being able to quickly move up stairs and hop over walls or debris. This is why I chose to make the modules legged.
I chose for each module to have just one leg so that the leg could still be large enough to accommodate acceptable power, range of motion, and durability for use as part of the multiple-legged armored vehicle. While single-legged locomotion is not practical in nature, I believe it would work because mechanical springs provide increased efficiency and performance, while computers can (in the future) achieve better dynamic balance than creatures. Even if it's still not as efficient as other methods, the modules will only be moving separate for short distances.

02/24/2014 09:53 PMPosted by Engineer
02/24/2014 06:59 PMPosted by Luftwaffe
IM FAILING ALREADY!! Two legs?

No. If it makes you feel any better, humans moving any faster than walking have both feet off the ground at the same time during the stride. A one-legged robot would just increase this time some.
Reasons why two legs are not the best: it would make it more difficult to change direction of motion compared to a single leg, and it also is unheard of in nature to have a land creature with just two legs and not additional limbs for balance (we have arms and dinosaurs have massive tails to balance with)
Fancy words:
http://www.ece.ucsb.edu/~katiebyl/papers/Rutschmann_MSThesis.pdf

So, the new idea I came up with was to have each module be like a motorcycle and have them connect side to side in order to form a normal multi-wheeled vehicle with the exception that all the wheels can turn 360 degrees.
I've got to go to class, I'll edit the above paragraph later for more clarification.
Edited by Engineer on 3/21/2014 1:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/21/2014 01:02 PMPosted by Engineer
I've discussed transforming tanks before (in my thread "Tomorrow's Optionally Manned Main Battle Tank")

-Make all armor beyond that capable of withstanding small arms fire removable/modular
-Give the tank a diesel-electric drive with the electric motors in the wheels such that the tank can operate without tracks.
-Give the tank water impellers for amphibious operations.

Dual Weight Class
-Putting MBT tracks on a much lighter system might seem like a total waste of weight and cost, but the size and number of the road wheels allows it to operate with good mobility without the tracks, which increases speed and fuel efficiency. The relatively very high strength suspension would allow the vehicle (without humans on board) to be airdropped from low altitude without a parachute. The exact maximum altitude for this has yet to be determined.
-Quick field maintenance allows you to turn what you just airdropped or drove onto the beach into a MBT.
-Instead of having to follow up light vehicle deliveries by delivering entire heavier vehicles, you only have to follow it up by delivering the armor, tracks, and possibly a couple other components, which is much easier than delivering the entire vehicle, since it's lighter.
-In an emergency situation, this MBT could detach its armor to prevent having the tank sink (This happens, a M1 Abrams accidently drove off a bride during operation Iraqi Freedom, the tank was effectively lost [although I'm sure they salvaged it later]) or be stuck at the bottom of a river after a failed attempt at fording. If within reach, winching the armor out of the water sometime after would be relatively simple, since you could do it one piece at a time.
-One small benefit is the ability to equip the tracks without equipping most of the armor, thus making a vehicle which is able to drive at nearly full speed over snow and mud.
-It's hard to predict how much heavy armor the military will need decades from now, so this vehicle allows you to adjust your ratio of heavy armor to lighter/more mobile vehicles from conflict to conflict, or even from battle to battle, as enemy weapons, active defense technologies, and budgets change.

What I though of was having a multiple-legged armored vehicle comprised of multiple single-legged modules.

02/25/2014 08:21 AMPosted by Engineer
To make things simple, lets say each module is a cube with a leg on the bottom, the entire tank would be like a pack of water bottles, if each module was a water bottle. They'd simply be in rows and columns. Remember, each module can fit through a door, while the whole vehicle is about the size of a normal tank.

The modules were to have extreme mobility, including being able to quickly move up stairs and hop over walls or debris. This is why I chose to make the modules legged.
I chose for each module to have just one leg so that the leg could still be large enough to accommodate acceptable power, range of motion, and durability for use as part of the multiple-legged armored vehicle. While single-legged locomotion is not practical in nature, I believe it would work because mechanical springs provide increased efficiency and performance, while computers can (in the future) achieve better dynamic balance than creatures. Even if it's still not as efficient as other methods, the modules will only be moving separate for short distances.

02/24/2014 09:53 PMPosted by Engineer
No. If it makes you feel any better, humans moving any faster than walking have both feet off the ground at the same time during the stride. A one-legged robot would just increase this time some.
Reasons why two legs are not the best: it would make it more difficult to change direction of motion compared to a single leg, and it also is unheard of in nature to have a land creature with just two legs and not additional limbs for balance (we have arms and dinosaurs have massive tails to balance with)
Fancy words:
http://www.ece.ucsb.edu/~katiebyl/papers/Rutschmann_MSThesis.pdf

So, the new idea I came up with was to have each module be like a motorcycle and have them connect side to side in order to form a normal multi-wheeled vehicle with the exception that all the wheels can turn 360 degrees.
I've got to go to class, I'll edit the above paragraph later for more clarification.

Yeah, clarification would help, I'm not an engi so the only thing I can think of right now is simply wheels where this one leg used to be and for some reason I think that isn't what you're talking about.
Reply Quote
03/25/2014 04:32 PMPosted by Luftwaffe
Yeah, clarification would help,

So, the last concept was a pack of water bottles where each bottle is a cube with a single leg on the bottom.

This concept is like a row of parked bikes or motorcycles. Each is to the side of the other.
Now, imagine each bike is a rectangular prism and its wheels can turn 360 degrees (normal bikes have the rear wheel turn 0 degrees and the front wheel turn a limited amount).
To become the tank the row of bikes connect and start driving sideways.
All of the front wheels of the modules would become all of the right wheels of the tank, all of the back wheels of the modules would become the left wheels of the tank.
Note that this design must just have wheels by default, if tracks were desired they would have to be taken off before the modules split and put back on after they rejoin.
Edited by Engineer on 3/26/2014 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/26/2014 11:41 AMPosted by Engineer
03/25/2014 04:32 PMPosted by Luftwaffe
Yeah, clarification would help,

So, the last concept was a pack of water bottles where each bottle is a cube with a single leg on the bottom.

This concept is like a row of parked bikes or motorcycles. Each is to the side of the other.
Now, imagine each bike is a rectangular prism and its wheels can turn 360 degrees (normal bikes have the rear wheel turn 0 degrees and the front wheel turn a limited amount).
To become the tank the row of bikes connect and start driving sideways.
All of the front wheels of the modules would become all of the right wheels of the tank, all of the back wheels of the modules would become the left wheels of the tank.
Note that this design must just have wheels by default, if tracks were desired they would have to be taken off before the modules split and put back on after they rejoin.

Well I'm not too worried with having wheels over tracks, if I'm mistaken protection wise both aren't really that durable anyway no? Plus I'd imagine in most cases wheels would provide a lot more mobility in many situations where tracks would fail to move efficiently.
Reply Quote
Hydraulics
Hydraulics
Hydraulics
Nothing else to say
Reply Quote
12/15/2014 04:10 PMPosted by Shifter
Hydraulics
Hydraulics
Hydraulics
Nothing else to say

Really? Are you going to add anything of value? Or are you just going to spam all these threads? We here in the science and technology section, although incredibly unnoticed, pride ourselves on having intelligence and more importantly, the ability to learn when we don't know.
Reply Quote
Forms of such things already exist, but they don't transform. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT5jo7aZzTw
Reply Quote
01/08/2015 02:27 PMPosted by IIIIIIIIIIII
Forms of such things already exist, but they don't transform. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT5jo7aZzTw

What is the point of this? It's just a large gun. I've seen the video, I've walked right next to a nuclear-capable artillery piece before (as in touching it). I also never mentioned such large guns in my post.
Reply Quote
01/09/2015 11:24 AMPosted by Engineer
01/08/2015 02:27 PMPosted by IIIIIIIIIIII

What is the point of this? It's just a large gun. I've seen the video, I've walked right next to a nuclear-capable artillery piece before (as in touching it). I also never mentioned such large guns in my post.

He went around and posted in 20 different threads with little one sentence one shot posts.

IOW he's a troll, it's drusus.
Reply Quote
01/09/2015 02:14 PMPosted by Luftwaffe
01/09/2015 11:24 AMPosted by Engineer

He went around and posted in 20 different threads with little one sentence one shot posts.

IOW he's a troll, it's drusus.

I had a feeling. I saw he was posting every 2 minutes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]