How are the WCS competitors selected?

So I think I might be over-complicating things in my head here. I have read through the WCS ABOUT section and FAQ here and their. I just can't seem to understand how the competitors are selected for these competitions, and if they are played simply online or not until the last play-off.

I am asking because I have become more and more interested in the sport, and just want a better understanding of how things progress.

So do these players just play and stay in the top tier levels of skill, and once a season starts they get invited to compete? Or do they have to be in the top tiers and then sign up to the competitions?

And am I right in seeing that a total of 48 players begin each competition but then it quickly dwindles down to the top players?

I'm sorry if these are answered somewhere else, like I said am problem over-complicating the answers I have already read, I guess I just need someone to ELI5.
Reply Quote
There's qualifier tournaments to get into Challenger, if you you make it to Challenger you win $600 and have to play a BO5 to get into Premiere. Once you're in Premiere you get $2,000 if you fall out fo Premiere in the first round you have to go back to Challenger and defend your spot against someone that played through the qualifiers, but as long as you make it to the second round you retain your Premiere seed next season.

In order to play in the qualifiers you have to be in Master or Grandmasters League, be a resident of the region your competing in OR for the Wildcard spot you simply need to have 200 wins in the region you wish to compete in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]