Airborne Assault Ship

This is named after amphibious assault ships which carry aircraft and cargo but not normal fixed-wing aircraft like aircraft carriers do.
My idea is to have a hybrid airship like aeroscraft, but instead of having propellers it would have externally mounted VTOL drones which it could launch and recover. During normal operations the refueling and rearming would be staggered so there's always a fraction of the drones connected to the ship keeping it at high altitude, although it would not be able to have much if any forward thrust. The ship would still be able to launch all the aircraft at once by either being loaded lightly or by falling until the drones get back. Thanks to the large size and mass of the ship compared to the net downward force (weight minus the buoyant force), the ship would fall rather slowly. The ship would hold operators, fuel, munitions, and/or cargo.

But you may ask, "why not just have surface transports do this?" Well, transportation by would be faster and amphibious, and could also be safer.

Anyways, just a thought I had today.
Reply Quote
Why this fascination with weapons?

There are so many potential advancements in technology which could create endless amounts of benefits for humanity, why the focus solely on new ways of killing?

When technology is unlocking the potential for new limbs that respond just like natural ones, tailored replacement organs which dramatically exceed the capabilities of the stock ones, sight for the blind, hearing for the deaf, direct brain-to-machine interfacing, on-the-fly translation, augmented reality, new horizons of space exploration, increased life span, mind uploading, technological immortality... etc, etc...
Reply Quote
06/07/2014 10:51 AMPosted by Hylozoist

There are so many potential advancements in technology which could create endless amounts of benefits for humanity, why the focus solely on new ways of killing?

When technology is unlocking the potential for new limbs that respond just like natural ones, tailored replacement organs which dramatically exceed the capabilities of the stock ones, sight for the blind, hearing for the deaf, direct brain-to-machine interfacing, on-the-fly translation, augmented reality, new horizons of space exploration, increased life span, mind uploading, technological immortality... etc, etc...

I understand, but I can think of 3 reasons:
1) I'm already pretty invested, having studied military history and technology to a large extent (well, considering that I'm not that old).
2) I personally see a trend where military technology is allowing fewer people participate in war as a percentage of the total (growing) population. This allows (I hope) for better training and selection for those few (less numerous, it'll still be a lot) people that are put in charge of weapons. I also hope that military technology allows police to be more effective, my hopes relying mainly on improvements in reconnaissance and counter-terrorism.
3) There's ample funding for it.
Edited by Engineer on 6/7/2014 10:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote

If wars are carried out only by robots then there would be no killing :P

It would be a waste of money sure but that is something that humanity seems to excel at anyway. Not to mention even in wars with ground troops massive amounts of money are still wasted.
Reply Quote
06/07/2014 10:14 PMPosted by Engineer

I understand, but I can think of 3 reasons:
1) I'm already pretty invested, having studied military history and technology to a large extent (well, considering that I'm not that old).
2) I personally see a trend where military technology is allowing fewer people participate in war as a percentage of the total (growing) population. This allows (I hope) for better training and selection for those few (less numerous, it'll still be a lot) people that are put in charge of weapons. I also hope that military technology allows police to be more effective, my hopes relying mainly on improvements in reconnaissance and counter-terrorism.
3) There's ample funding for it.

Exactly, what the military advances in, the police advances in. At some point petty crime and street thugs will die out to the more advanced security systems.

Imagine that? A neighborhood without obnoxious graffiti? I can smell the billions of extra dollars being made in tourism already because people come to the U.S. feeling safe, seeing beauty without graffiti, etc.
Edited by Luftwaffe on 7/6/2014 1:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]