IDEA: Change hydra attack to BW spit

Would be absolutely wonderful, you could finally micro them effectively.
Reply Quote
06/09/2014 11:25 AMPosted by TiNYUzi
I also liked the sound when the BW Carriers launched to interceptors, they were frightening.

WHOOOOSH WHOOOOOSH WHOOOOSH PEW PEW PEW PEW

06/09/2014 11:35 AMPosted by Doncroft
06/09/2014 02:09 AMPosted by PureLove
Change hydralisk attack from projectile to an instant spit animation of green goo (Brood War style)

The green goo was residue that came out WITH the projectile. They always shot spines. But yes, it was instantaneous.

I love it when someone is familiar with these "little things" in the lore. :D
Edited by PureLove on 6/9/2014 12:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
06/09/2014 12:01 PMPosted by PureLove

:-}
Reply Quote
06/09/2014 12:03 PMPosted by Doncroft
06/09/2014 12:01 PMPosted by PureLove

:-}

hey, lore mastery is MY shtick!
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
06/09/2014 12:07 PMPosted by Kelthar
hey, lore mastery is MY shtick!

There now. Run along and play some after-death passive characters in Heroes. :P
Reply Quote
I'd absolutely adore having the instant animation back. Aside from more micro potential, I enjoy the imagery of the attack better.

On one hand you have the Hydra building up this green goop, pressurizing the hell out of it and launching a spine like a bullet with enough force to split marine armor, rocking them back on their tails and producing that squishy PEW. You don't actually hear the spines smacking into things, but the attack really looks like it's going to hurt like hell when it connects.

On the other hand you have this flitting, surprisingly quiet little dart being whispered out by a flailing, bobbing, lurching movement. Not only does it take a lot longer, but frankly it looks silly. Sure the dart gets the same job done, but there's no trail of green slime and we're expected to believe that the momentum of an alien's mighty head-bang was enough to be accurate and effective. No thank you, sir!
Reply Quote
Bump, because i want Blizzard to look at this idea.
Reply Quote
06/10/2014 09:56 AMPosted by Roboroadkill
Bump, because i want Blizzard to look at this idea.
Reply Quote
As psione said in the other thread, they need a more elaborate anlysis of all the effects this kind of buff would bringt with it. A 'make it so' doesn't really help them.
Reply Quote
Beautiful
Reply Quote
Cool idea.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
06/09/2014 12:12 PMPosted by Zombie
we're expected to believe that the momentum of an alien's mighty head-bang was enough to be accurate and effective. No thank you, sir!

I always believed it was pressurized gas. I personally like how this one looks and sounds compared to the old one. I do miss hearing workers mine minerals and hearing the giant siege tank rounds be shelled out
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/10/2014 10:03 AMPosted by Temeter
As psione said in the other thread, they need a more elaborate anlysis of all the effects this kind of buff would bringt with it. A 'make it so' doesn't really help them.

Thanks for mentioning this.

Depending on the suggestion, the expectation of detailed analysis may vary. If someone wants to suggest a change to an animation or a sound, we don't need a detailed post that goes over all the pros and cons. Just explaining why you'd prefer the suggested change would be enough.

However, if we're talking about suggestions that affect game balance, then it would be nice to see more detailed analysis at least explaining the core issues. In this case, it's not clear to me if this is suggestion is meant to address a visual preference, an issue with how Hydralisk's interact with Point Defense Drones, or an issue with the micro potential of the Hydralisk.

It may be all three. And that's fine too, but getting some thoughts on each point and why they feel it's an issue would help. That would make the suggestion far less of a "take or leave it" proposal and could lead to better discussions. Maybe this particular suggestion doesn't get implemented, but with some solid reasoning, we find opportunities to address some of the core issues described in other ways.
Reply Quote
06/10/2014 11:15 AMPosted by Psione

Depending on the suggestion, the expectation of detailed analysis may vary. If someone wants to suggest a change to an animation or a sound, we don't need a detailed post that goes over all the pros and cons. Just explaining why you'd prefer the suggested change would be enough.

However, if we're talking about suggestions that affect game balance, then it would be nice to see more detailed analysis at least explaining the core issues. In this case, it's not clear to me if this is suggestion is meant to address a visual preference, an issue with how Hydralisk's interact with Point Defense Drones, or an issue with the micro potential of the Hydralisk.

It may be all three. And that's fine too, but getting some thoughts on each point and why they feel it's an issue would help. That would make the suggestion far less of a "take or leave it" proposal and could lead to better discussions. Maybe this particular suggestion doesn't get implemented, but with some solid reasoning, we find opportunities to address some of the core issues described in other ways.

K, thanks. Really hope you consider this, a lot of people want this to happen.
Reply Quote
06/10/2014 11:15 AMPosted by Psione
06/10/2014 10:03 AMPosted by Temeter

It is all three. The "spit" sound is all around cooler, I think many would agree.
It is about ravens as well, because if you look at many pro games, like JaeDong vs (???) at Homestorycup, mass ravens can't be beat.
It also effects micro, because the hydralisk, like most zerg units, don't have a large micro potential. Hydras are slow, the current attack activation time is extremely long, so you can't stutter step, and they have extremely low health.

Hydras are an extremely bad unit for cost/supply and upgrades needed to make them useful in combat.
They need buffs. The attack speed did nothing.

Please, and thank you.

~roarbot
Reply Quote
This thread gets the Yukari stamp of approval.

Since I shoot down 96% of all suggestions, you know that means this is good.
Reply Quote
I recommend the people at blizzard watch some avilo streams. Avilo is , quote
saving esports

He thinks he is saving esports by going turtle mech, going mass raven ball, forcing hour long games. This is a serious problem that we are all lucky that no real pro gamer has found out they can do. Avilo is basically the stephano of terran, but his skill is seriously lacking.

Swarm host's function is suppose to break a turtling player, but they do a poor job vs turtle mech. The best examples are on Avilo's streams.

If anything
Avilo is killing esports, one raven at a time
Reply Quote
Something else that nobody seems to touch upon is that removing the projectile means that the hydralisk can have Smart Fire, which would increase its combat efficiency. Without overkilling things, hydralisks can get off a lot more damage in the same number of attacks.
Reply Quote
Hey,
I would love to see this change, too. When off-racing as Terran I love the stutter step micro, you can perform with the bio army. If done correctly you are able to deal with an infinite number of zealots (without charge) and a large number of lings. This really feels like micro worth the effort.
At the moment everything I can do with a roach hydra army is putting the roaches in front of the hydras, spread out the army as good as possible, then comes the a-move. When playing against Protoss or a mech army, I can focus fire some stronger units like immos and thanks, but that’s pretty much it. As soon as the roach shield is down, I can go to my base and start to produce the next army, because the hydras are about to die anyway and moving them only reduces their damage output, because the attack animation is interrupted and no damage is dealt.
I do not know, if this would make hydras a lot stronger against Protoss, as it would allow for kiting a zealot archon army. But maybe it would make roach hydra more viable against Terran bio. ATM they can kite the Zerg and deal damage, while stutter stepping back. This leads to a lot of dead roaches and unprotected/dead hydras. If hydras could stutter step too, it might be possible to keep the roach hydra army together, so the bio units of the terran have to get in range of the hydra to deal damage to the roaches and get damaged by the hydras instant attack. Again, I do not know if this would make the hydra OP, never been able to do it, but would love to try ^^.

Fortunately I only played against a mass raven army once (because I played bad and did not attack at all). But I had no chance against it, despite having a good economy. There was no way to deal dmg to the ravens with PDD active and my units got killed by the HSM. Infestors cannot get in range without getting killed (even burrowed as ravens are detectors), hydras deal no damage (PDD) and cannot escape the HSM, Corruptors deal no damage (PDD) and are barely able to escape HSM, Mutas deal no damage (PDD), can escape but need to get to close to even lower the energy on the PDD due to their short attack range. Overall I should not have let the Terran get to that point, but there was absolutely no way to deal with the raven army with my skill. Maybe there are ways Pros can deal with this unit, but I am not able to.
I think the hydra change would enable Zerg to deal at least some damage to the ravens, before the HSM hit the army and with a good macro behind it, this little damage could be enough to wear down the Terran over time, like the swarm is supposed to do.

Maybe it would be necessary to revert the attack speed buff or the damage buff, due to the better usability of the hydra. Or maybe everything would be fine, and we would just see them used more, because they might be more fun to play then.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]