Balance Testing Soon - July 1

(Locked)

Developer
We’ve listened to recent feedback and wanted to provide our thoughts on HotS balance since the last patch.

1. At the top pro level, Terran looks to be slightly weaker than the other races, and we’d like to start testing possible changes.
2. In terms of recent tournament wins, the three races are performing quite evenly.
3. Protoss and Zerg both seem to be performing well at the top level in terms of tournament wins and overall performance.

We’d like to be prepared with a general Terran buff while continuing to carefully evaluate Terran performance in both TvP and TvZ. We have some ideas for general Terran buffs that we’d love to get feedback on. Additionally, we’d love to hear feedback on other areas that could help Terran while also making the games more exciting to watch and play.

Medivac
Medivac harass has been getting weaker since the beginning of HotS due to players improving at defending against them. If we increase the strength of Medivacs, we’d not only help out Terran on both matchups, but also help provide even more action-packed games to watch. We wonder if buffing the unload speed or increasing the duration of the speed boost slightly would help in a positive way.

Widow Mine
Widow Mines are quite core in both TvP and TvZ. They’re also one of the most exciting units to watch and create lots of diverse moments depending on the players’ interaction with them within each engagement. We’re currently considering a slight increase to the splash radius of Widow Mines, which we believe could be a good direction to explore.

Obviously, nothing is final since we aren’t even proposing specific numbers yet, but we’d like to start discussions going that would allow us to start a balance test map soon.
Edited by Psione on 7/1/2014 9:53 AM PDT
yessssssssssssssssssssssss i like the medivac one especially because this allows agro players to play there style of play better tvz mines will give terran the killing power good but if the mines are back to what they were before i think it might be to much
Edited by SayYesToStim on 7/1/2014 9:57 AM PDT
YYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

#WeNeedTerraTron
#TerranPower
#THEPOWEROFTERRAN
Hell, it's about time! These are the kind of changes that need to be done. A medivac buff and a widow mine splash increase. Slight changes that improve Terran performance at a general level. :)

Medivac
Medivac harass has been getting weaker since the beginning of HotS due to players improving at defending against them. If we increase the strength of Medivacs, we’d not only help out Terran on both matchups, but also help provide even more action-packed games to watch. We wonder if buffing the unload speed or increasing the duration of the speed boost slightly would help in a positive way.

Both of these sound good to me, I like buffing unloading the speed a bit more than the speed boost buff though both seem like they'd be capable of making Terran more competitive against Zerg and Protoss.

Widow Mine
Widow Mines are quite core in both TvP and TvZ. They’re also one of the most exciting units to watch and create lots of diverse moments depending on the players’ interaction with them within each engagement. We’re currently considering a slight increase to the splash radius of Widow Mines, which we believe could be a good direction to explore.

Yes, I've been saying this for a while now. A slight increase to splash radius is the way to go. Not as strong as the old widow mines, but not as weak as the new widow mines. Somewhere in between will be the perfect balance for this unit to make widow mines integral to TvZ and more beneficial in TvP.

It would be nice if both the medivac and widow mine got buffed, but if I had to pick between the two then it would be the widow mine for sure.
Edited by Raver on 7/1/2014 10:07 AM PDT
07/01/2014 09:50 AMPosted by Dayvie
We wonder if buffing the unload speed or increasing the duration of the speed boost slightly would help in a positive way.

The unload speed I think would help a lot with harassment. I don't like increasing the duration of the speed boost because I don't like the idea of "uncatchable" Medivacs. They still need to have some sort of counter even if they are buffed.

I don't know about this one. Widow Mines are still often very... "all or nothing" in terms of effectiveness. If the damage within the extra range was minor (like 10, for example, like the outermost splash currently), then I could see it being okay. Alternatively, maybe something like 40-30-20-10 could be implemented.
Edited by NinjaDuckBob on 7/1/2014 10:36 AM PDT
Medivac is fine, IMO. Drop is good if the players not paying attention and can be punish for that.

Mines should be look at so it can be useful throughout the game and change the tide depending of which units it target.
MVP - StarCraft
Medivac

Aww yeah, http://youtu.be/edatl9PXrUU?t=1m51s can finally become a reality.

On a serious note: While these don't seem like bad changes to me, are they really addressing what Terran players are struggling with? I suppose if mines make Terran players have an easier time in the TvZ late-game and the Medivac made early aggression more effective vs Protoss it would, but I'm not sure those changes would accomplish that myself.
Edited by TheSkunk on 7/1/2014 10:04 AM PDT
As one who thinks that terran only needs slight buffs to a handful of units, this is literally the best thing that can happen to terran. Mine buff is good, just make sure that the splash damage hurts the oppenent more than it hurts the terran in tvz espically
like the mine change. The medevac change is probably my worst nightmare as a player, but it could be fun as a spectator.
Medivac harass has been getting weaker since the beginning of HotS due to players improving at defending against them.

I think the simplest solution would be to just go ahead a make them stronger, more HP, or maybe more Armor? This way Terran don't pay so dearly for an attempted drop that gets defended. Also I watch ALOT of starcraft and have seen medivacs getting sniped by mutas more and more.
Not to mention its something that would scale well to lower leagues there by reducing the micro/multi-tasking require to play Terran.
Edited by MongOOse on 7/1/2014 10:23 AM PDT
Say YES to the Medivac buff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07/01/2014 10:06 AMPosted by TheBentOne
like the mine change. The medevac change is probably my worst nightmare as a player, but it could be fun as a spectator.
It's pretty ironic that blizzard is saying mines are one of the most exciting when months back when they nerfed them they said something to the effect of them being "Stale". I don't think medivacs should get a speed buff, they can be pretty effective already. As for the mine, don't bring back parade pushes, those were never fun to play. A slight damage or radius buff might not be too bad, but I think it'd be better if you buffed other terran units, preferably one of the more under-utilized like the battlecruiser or nuke for instance. I think it's really dumb that there's no real way to get out of bio in TvZ, bring some diversity for once, bio/mine is the only transition other than LOL MASS RAVEN/MECH that's good vs Zerg.

But either way can't wait for the next balance test map to see what they have in store for terran.
Edited by zerganator on 7/1/2014 5:11 PM PDT
Please realize what the problem is... widow mines just don't kill enough banes/mutas. Increasing damage rather than radius is the way to go.
Zerg reaction to unload buff to medivacs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im_5QdHp04E

I think changes to T are necessary but not to those units that are already strong, units like thors, ghost or battlecruisers are the ones that need to be fixed (allowing new comps)

GL HF!
Unload speed sounds good to me. The mine buff though. PLEASE make it happen! Would make TvZ vrey much more enjoyable again.
07/01/2014 09:58 AMPosted by NinjaDuckBob
We wonder if buffing the unload speed or increasing the duration of the speed boost slightly would help in a positive way.

The unload speed I think would help a lot with harassment. I don't like increasing the duration of the speed boost because I don't like the idea of "uncatchable" Medivacs. They still need to have some sort of counter even if they are buffed.

I don't know about this one. Widow Mines are still often very... "all or nothing" in terms of effectiveness. If the damage within the extra range was minor (like 10, for example, like the outermost splash currently), then I could see it being okay. Alternatively, maybe something like 40-30-20-10 could be implemented.

^^ that's exactly how I feel. I'm surprised, yet pleased someone else wrote it first. :D
07/01/2014 10:10 AMPosted by Nakamura
Please realize what the problem is... widow mines just don't kill enough banes/mutas. Increasing damage rather than radius is the way to go.

Agreed, increasing damage over radius is more important. Though, I'm not sure if they meant they're going to increase the damage on farther radius or simply increase the radius so I guess we'll have to see them talk about it in more detail later.

Medivac

Widow Mine

1) Medivac drops are already strong enough to keep protoss being heavily defensive during the midgame stage.

2) Most diamond and lower-league protoss players are usually struggling against medivac drops. This is one of the strongest moves terran has at the moment for midgame TvP.

I strongly believe that buffing medivacs would not help terran players defending against all-ins, but rather increase their strength during the midgame, which is unnecessary (in midgame a dropping terran is in a dominating, or attacking, position already).

Maybe you should look toward the early-game changes?

Regarding the mines:

They are already incredibly efficient against probes (with their shield bonus damage) and especially zealots. Considering that they cost very low for their efficiency (only 25 gas for a unit that does more burst damage than any protoss gas-heavy T3), the range upgrade would be too much.

I'd suggest either looking toward early-game changes or (even better) waiting until the new map pool will kick in so you can gather preliminary statistics. After all, terrans not performing very well this season can be related to either map pool or even player-related external reasons.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]