StarCraft® II

System Requirements explained in detail

Reviews say that it's not really worth the money, but I'm coming here hoping someone can give me a good, quick answer. I've been looking through the specs for SCII and then the specs for this laptop....But I want to double check my conclusion.

Would this thing run SCII fairly well? I managed to get my garbage advanced word processor to run it, but I want something that'll run SCII the way it should be run, preferably something below $3,000 so I can get the money for it before Christmas. haha.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienware+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B2+Quad+Processor+-+Black/9693464.p?id=1218150607452&skuId=9693464&st=gaming laptop&cp=1&lp=1#tabbed-customerreviews
Edited by ChrisUnknown on 7/29/2010 5:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm getting massive lag spikes when playing with 3+ people on medium quality.
Here are my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
ATI HD 5770 1GB
500GB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD
My drivers and Windows 7 Pro 32 bit are all up to date. Any ideas?
Reply Quote
All of my specifications exceed or meet the recommended specs

My specs:
8.00 GB Installed Physical memory
512.00 MB NVIDIA
ATI Radeon HD 4350
Windows 64 bit

Anyway the suggested settings are medium, and it does play sluggish on high. I looked at my performance and my Graphics card is 4.1 and Gaming is 5.9, Not directly about the game but how do I improve the performance in these areas?

Reply Quote
**reposted (no response in original thread)**
I have a HP Pavillion a6500f, which has an ATX motherboard that supports VGA, DVI, PCI Express x16. The PSU only has a wattage of 250 though... any recommendations on a good card compatible with these settings? Hopefully I wouln't have to upgrade the PSU, but I would like to be able to play on High or Ultra graphics. (Current Video card is a GeForce 7100/ nforce 630i and it can not sustain SC2 game play past single player, which is extremely choppy as well. D/C out of most all multiplayer games)

* one card i'm looking at is: MSI N250GTS Twin Frozr GeForce GTS 250
(not sure if it is 100% compatible, couldn't find anything listed about PowerSupply requirements)

Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated,

** also have an Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 processor (2.4GHz), I've never had any problems with it's performance and it handles most loads with no problem. I believe the video card is my only problem here, but in your opinion is this processor strong enough for seamless SC2 play when i purchase a new VC??
Edited by mechNINJA on 7/29/2010 7:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
nvm this post.
Edited by PTZ on 7/29/2010 9:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi,

I have been able to play SC2 for HOURS and HOURS with no problems whatsoever. The only time I have a problem is when I get to the menu section and sit there for a few minutes. (For example I was talking on the phone while looking at the menu screen...) My ENTIRE computer literally just SHUTS DOWN. I thought, at first, I accidentally hit the power cord or something. But its happened about four times now. ONLY when I'm sitting at the menu screen. I was on WoW and mentioned this problem to some friends casually and was told about this:

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/28/blizzard-confirms-starcraft-ii-overheating-bug.aspx

My friend said that it's "all over the interwebz" SCII is causing people's computers to overheat.

Umm... that scares me. A guy REVIEWING the game has his graphics card destroyed?!

Anyways I just want to find a BLIZZARD OFFICIAL post telling me what to do. I would just feel a lot better rather than listening to random people on blogs. Here are my specs:

Dell XPS Gaming Desktop
Processor: Intel Core Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 6 GB
Operating System: Window Vista 64 bit
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

And I did turn everything to Ultra. No problems during game play AT ALL. But I'm now scared that my computer is going to melt at my feet... Should I turn the graphics down or something?

I also feel there should be a STICKIED thread acknowledging this problem. IMO

Reply Quote
Blizzard's StarCraft II facebook group just posted a link to a nice article by TechSpot which includes latest graphics card benchmarking results, specifically tested with StarCraft II

http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page1.html
Reply Quote
ATI Radeon HD 5650 1GB (in middle upper tier) is not recognized by StarCraft 2.
Running on HP Pavilion dv6t Select Edition

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-540M Dual Core processor (2.53GHz, 3MB L2 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz
• 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics
• 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
• No TouchScreen
• FREE Upgrade to Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth

When I started the game yesterday I got a notice window stating my video card may not be compatible - yet it is. Upon looking at the video settings SC2 did not give me an option to select 1366X768; I only get 1360 by 768 as an option. I know this card can perform well yet there are no drivers/solutions for me now.

I have the latest HP provided drivers - I am unable to install the newer ATI drivers. Patch coming?
Edited by nimzotech on 7/29/2010 11:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@misdynomite I don't know what it is but make sure to try it with ultra textures, if it lags the same then it may be the cpu.
btw it isn't internet lag, is it?

@Moose your vga is the problem right there, a 4350 is a really low-end card, enjoy the game in medium, gaphics aren't that important on SC2, gameplay IS.
PD: Check that you say 512MB Nvidia and then ATI Radeon HD 4350. Can't be both xD

@mechNINJA Vgas tend to be power hungry, 250 watts won't let you play on ultra and i can't really help you there, just as an example an 8600GT asks for a 350w PSU.
Now the CPU stuff, i had one of those a few years ago (or was it 1 year ago?) :P. it will let you play but your Ultra dream is dead there.
Just enjoy the game as you can play it and eventually you can replay it with everything maxed in the future.

@Roflandro If it hasn't burn down by now it probably won't. The link you posted contains the solution, you should do it just to be safe anyway. And if you were actually playing then don't worry just avoid letting the game sitting there doing nothing for hours.

@nimzotech You have no problem there my friend. 1366x768 is neither 16:9 nor 16:10 and by no means 4:3 so ther won't be support for that. You can google some info about 1366x768 and see what i mean.

Reply Quote
yes it does! Mine defaulted to Ultra.

Pentium Quad Core Q8200 2.33Ghz
XFX GTS 250 1Gb
3gb DDR2 pc6400 Corsair XMS
Reply Quote

Hello,

I, much like many others, am having serious framerate issues - indeed I can almost never get above 10 fps in-game. Very frustrating.

Can someone who is more savvy than me about computers etc please verify that my specs are adequate to run SC2? Before buying the game I checked it out, and it seemed to me that my rig was more than enough to at least run the game on medium-ish settings, but I can't even get the thing to go on the lowest of the low settings. Maybe I've overlooked something. When I saw that min video card was 7100, I just assumed it would be enough since on the SC2 box it said Geforce 6600, and in my puny non-computer-savvy brain, since 7100 is a greater number than 6600 it therefore follows that my vid card was adequate, lol. Maybe I'm wrong.

Here is my info:

Nom du système d’exploitation Microsoft Windows 7 Édition Familiale Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Numéro 7600
Autre description du système d’exploitation Non disponible
Fabricant du système d’exploitation Microsoft Corporation
Ordinateur DAVE-PC
Fabricant Acer
Modèle Aspire X1800
Type PC à base de x64
Processeur Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz, 2700 MHz, 2 cœur(s), 2 processeur(s) logique(s)
Version du BIOS/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A4, 14/10/2009
Version SMBIOS 2.6
Répertoire Windows C:\Windows
Répertoire système C:\Windows\system32
Périphérique de démarrage \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Option régionale Canada
Couche d’abstraction matérielle Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Utilisateur dave-PC\dave
Fuseaux horaires Est (heure d’été)
Mémoire physique (RAM) installée 4.00 Go
Mémoire physique totale 3.75 Go
Mémoire physique disponible 2.30 Go
Mémoire virtuelle totale 7.50 Go
Mémoire virtuelle disponible 6.04 Go
Espace pour le fichier d’échange 3.75 Go
Fichier d’échange C:\pagefile.sys

And here is my video card info, copied from the NVIDEA control panel:

Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz (2699 MHz)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i
Driver version: 258.96
Core clock: 600 MHz
Memory clock: 100 MHz (200 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 32-bit
Total available graphics memory: 1919 MB
Dedicated video memory: 256 MB DDR1
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1663 MB
Video BIOS version: 5.73.32.08.00
IRQ: 21
Bus: FPCI

As you can see, I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers for my video card from NVIDEA's website, so that isn't the problem. Some people have suggested that you have to roll back the video drivers to a previous version that "worked" with earlier versions of SC2 beta before it "broke" (according to some theories), but before I start messing around with my drivers or windows settings etc, I just want to make sure that my computer *ought* to be able to handle SC2.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much in advance!
-David
Reply Quote
@mechNINJA Vgas tend to be power hungry, 250 watts won't let you play on ultra and i can't really help you there, just as an example an 8600GT asks for a 350w PSU.

Now the CPU stuff, i had one of those a few years ago (or was it 1 year ago?) :P. it will let you play but your Ultra dream is dead there.

Just enjoy the game as you can play it and eventually you can replay it with everything maxed in the future.

Thank you for some feedback,
If i were to buy say a 500w power supply, would I need to revamp my entire board with components geared towards this wattage? Or would I be OK just replacing the video card? (don't want to fry any pieces here, lol)
Reply Quote
Will a new video card solve my problem, or would that not be enough? Right now, when playing the single-player campaign I'm getting a really sluggish, laggy game experience on Low everything.

Vista 32-bit
Intel Core2 Duo CPU E4500 2.2 GHz
Ram 3.0 GB
GeForce 8300 GS (258.96 update installed)
DirectX 11

I don't want to buy a new video card if the game is still going to run too slowly to enjoy it.

Thanks very much in advance.
Reply Quote
I am having real problems playing my game. It constantly freezes and sits there every few seconds. It is like playing a very laggy game but I'm on the campaign. Anywhere from 6 to 30 seconds it pauses for 3-5 seconds.

I'm even running everything on the lowest graphics settings there is.

My specs are.

Windows XP SP 3 32-bit
O/S: Windows XP Professional (5.1 Build 2600)
Bios: Award Modular Bios v6.0
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53Ghz
Memory : 2560 mb RAM
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video: ASUS AH3450 /I updated the driver today, no improvement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Reply Quote
@Lunarian: Pentium IVs are very inefficient per clock cycle, so you'd need fairly high clockspeeds to use one successfully. Unfortunately, your stepping of Pentium 4 appears to be for the very outmoded Socket 478 - while you could get some performance improvements by replacing it with a version with Hyperthreading and a higher clockspeed (I think), it means you can't just replace it with a Core 2 based processor. It'd probably be more cost effective to get a new computer - try to go for either an Intel Core i3/i5/i7 or an AMD Phenom II based CPU.

Note that your video card, while fairly low spec, is less of a problem.
Reply Quote
Hey Schwin. Sounds like you're using the same $400 Walmart eMachines computer I am! I added a GeForce 8400 GS PCI Express card for $50 and run SC2 on low res mode and my gameplay experience improved %100. The same might work for you--good luck!
Reply Quote
Let me add to what I said here. I just tried a melee vs. AI and my comp froze up after 10-15 minutes. I had to force a shut down.

I am having real problems playing my game. It constantly freezes and sits there every few seconds. It is like playing a very laggy game but I'm on the campaign. Anywhere from 6 to 30 seconds it pauses for 3-5 seconds.

I'm even running everything on the lowest graphics settings there is.

My specs are.

Windows XP SP 3 32-bit
O/S: Windows XP Professional (5.1 Build 2600)
Bios: Award Modular Bios v6.0
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53Ghz
Memory : 2560 mb RAM
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video: ASUS AH3450 /I updated the driver today, no improvement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Reply Quote
@Dahveed That's a common mistake, an Nvidia 6600 is a lot better than a 7100 (the first number indicates the generation of the vga, the second one is for the "tier" so to speak, like
7100 < 7200 < 7300 < 7600 < 7800 <7900 < 7950 and a 6600gt should be between a 7300 and 7600) In addition you can have a 7300gs or a 7300gt being the GT a better vga by a good amount.
Plus in the first page of this thread Blizzard says the game isn't supported by a 7100 and most integrated devices. :P

@mechNINJA, you can use a 1500Watts supply and it won't fry anything :D the danger is using a 250w psu to feed a 400watts VGA.

@Parashara Yes, it will help.

@Lunarian You'll be needing a cpu update as well as a vga (mainly cpu though).
Oh just noticed PepsiPop gave you a great reply :D. Still i believe your vga needs an update since it's similitar to a 8400 and that card is specified by blizzard not to be enough.

Reply Quote
@Zeratulito

Forgive my confusion, but that was (for me) very difficult to understand...

You say the first number is the "generation", so shouldn't a "generation 7" card be better than a previous generation? (Thus 7100 > 6600?)

The "tier" seems to make more sense, so that if I were to upgrade to an "anything-600" (5600? 4600?) instead of my 7100 (or X100) then that would be better. These numbers seem so arbitrary and, well, weird to me, I just can't see the logic in them, though this is hardly surprising... I'm sure it's logical but I just can't understand the logic being a total video card n00b. When I bought this computer a few weeks ago I just saw "GForce 7100" and thought to myself, "that looks big", lol.

Also, could you explain what the difference between gt and gs is? I'd like to know this, since it seems that my card isn't even supported (doh!) and I have to buy another one. Which sucks, but I suppose if it doesn't cost too much this would be a good long-term buy anyways to help out any other games I happen to play. (And if anyone has any suggestions about any specific cards to avoid that would be awesome, as it seems certain types of video cards suck for playing SC2).

Once again, thx for taking the time to help out!
-David

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]