StarCraft® II

System Requirements explained in detail

@ZDahveed

NVidia traditionally has a rather bizarre naming scheme, so if it confused you, you're definitely not the first. It'd make more sense if they went by Intel's scheme and sorted cards like... let's say... "Geforce MX 1000" for an old integrated card, all the way to "Geforce GTX 9450" for a somewhat newer top end card.

Anyways, "GT", "GS", and "GTX" are prefixes that supposedly classify the general tier of the graphics card, but they shouldn't be considered unless you have multiple models with the same number.

As for suggested cards, almost anything from the last two years will run Starcraft 2 (I should know, since I'm running on the Intel GMA 4500MHD, which is terrible for games). Personally, I'm going to recommend the ATI Radeon HD 5570, which has reasonable performance, supports the latest technologies, and also is fairly small and power efficient. I don't know how easily your computer's case is opened, but so long as you can get it in there, you'll see a great boost to SC2.
Reply Quote
looking at buying graphics card and need to know if this is good enough 1GB ATI radeon HD5450 so any advice will b helpfull thx
Edited by zerginator on 7/30/2010 4:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
looking at buying graphics card and need to know if this is good enough 1GB ATI radeon HD5450 so any advice will b helpfull thx

It should be good enough, but it won't be optimal.
Reply Quote
@Pepsipop So is this card PCI or not? A blue poster said somewhere that all PCI "automatically disqualifies it" or something because of incompatibility issues or something... I've looked at other cards with very similar names but the "PCI" they stick on in at the end scares the hell out of me ever since I saw that blue post. Worst case scenario would be to go through all the trouble of getting a new card just to find out it isn't compatible either, lol

For example, I found a "ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card" on Future Shop's website, which is a decent price... and according to how I now understand their naming scheme, that one should be one step up from the one you recommended. But is it incompatible because of the "PCI" business? This one is a "PCI-E", and I read somewhere that this is updated or something... I dunno if I ought to be afraid of PCI or not :/

BTW thx very much for your answer, it was very encouraging in a couple ways - I don't feel like as much of a tool, and also it gives me hope that I can spend a reasonable amount of money and play SC2 fluidly, maybe even with more advanced settings... *crosses fingers*

cheers
-David
Reply Quote
processor E6750 2.66Ghz core 2 duo with a nvidia gts250 with 512 video memory and 2GB of memory is a good computer to run this game ?
Reply Quote
well would a 1 gb ati radeon hd 5570 be alot better or about the same then the 1 gb ati radeon hd 5450
Edited by zerginator on 7/30/2010 8:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just wanted to throw out somewhere that since the patch (at least I'm assuming that it's because of the patch) the singleplayer FPS has noticeably improved for me while my specs stayed the same - obviously :P. The several missions I've played since have either run fairly smoothly or at least much better than the literal slideshow they were before. Woot!
Edited by PTZ on 7/30/2010 9:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
hi, can I get things running with a geforce go 6150? I was able to load the game the very first time for some reason but I exited out to change my monitor settings. Now it crashes everytime I try to start. I was wondering if there was some patch out there I could use
Reply Quote
I'm having some lag issues as well playing just the campaign-i have a 9800 gtx but im running it with windows xp. i know my OS is a little outdated but would that "really" make that big of a difference in performance?
Reply Quote
I have the exact recommended specs, but in some in-game cutscenes (ie. character pop-ups from Raynor, etc), the game tends to stutter a bit; also, the loading times are a bit long-ish: will jumping from 2Gb to 4Gb RAM will make a difference?

Regards.
Reply Quote
hi, can I get things running with a geforce go 6150? I was able to load the game the very first time for some reason but I exited out to change my monitor settings. Now it crashes everytime I try to start. I was wondering if there was some patch out there I could use

Ace, Geforce 6150 is below the minimum requirement.

I have the exact recommended specs, but in some in-game cutscenes (ie. character pop-ups from Raynor, etc), the game tends to stutter a bit; also, the loading times are a bit long-ish: will jumping from 2Gb to 4Gb RAM will make a difference?

Yes it will. I've seen SC2 take up HUGE amount of memory.
Reply Quote
@Pepsipop So is this card PCI or not? A blue poster said somewhere that all PCI "automatically disqualifies it" or something because of incompatibility issues or something... I've looked at other cards with very similar names but the "PCI" they stick on in at the end scares the hell out of me ever since I saw that blue post. Worst case scenario would be to go through all the trouble of getting a new card just to find out it isn't compatible either, lol

For example, I found a "ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card" on Future Shop's website, which is a decent price... and according to how I now understand their naming scheme, that one should be one step up from the one you recommended. But is it incompatible because of the "PCI" business? This one is a "PCI-E", and I read somewhere that this is updated or something... I dunno if I ought to be afraid of PCI or not :/

BTW thx very much for your answer, it was very encouraging in a couple ways - I don't feel like as much of a tool, and also it gives me hope that I can spend a reasonable amount of money and play SC2 fluidly, maybe even with more advanced settings... *crosses fingers*

cheers
-David

A 5670 is plenty good for sc2 especially since you don't seem to be a hardcore gamer type. I assume you live in Quebec so I would suggest looking at newegg.ca for card prices because they are cheaper than retail and you save the TVQ(a brutal 7.5% charged on top the the GST for you non Canadians).

PCI-E is the newest interface for add in boards while PCI is the old standard(we had high performance pci video cards in like 1998). Bascially PCI<AGP<PCI-E. Now for a modern graphics card you want a full length PCI-E slot with at least 8x electrical connectivity(16x preferable) because PCI-E slots can be 16x, 8x, 4x and 1x. Generally all motherboards with PCI-E slots will have at least a single 16x capable slot.

As far as naming schemes go this can be a bit confusing. You need to understand that they make high end cards all the way to the lowest end. Each generation is roughly twice as fast as the last. So this generations mid range is going to be comparable to last high end. For example in AMD(ATi) naming schemes a 5770 is comparable in performance to a 4870 BUT it also supports the new 5xxx series features like eyefinity and DX11 support. This way of looking at it works for the high and mid range but the line blurs at the bottom where they don't up the number of SP between generations.

To all you guys wondering what kind of cards you need. I would suggest shopping online for Radeon HD4850-4870 or 9800GT/GTX/GTX+/GTS250(all the same g92b core...) level cards. These should be in the 100$-130$ range. For this gen Radeon 5770 or 5750 is the best card in the 150$ range.
Reply Quote
processor E6750 2.66Ghz core 2 duo with a nvidia gts250 with 512 video memory and 2GB of memory is a good computer to run this game ?

That should work great. If you have any slowdowns the best thing you can upgrade on that machine would be your memory. 2GB DDR2 can be found in the 60$ range online.
Reply Quote
well would a 1 gb ati radeon hd 5570 be alot better or about the same then the 1 gb ati radeon hd 5450

It would me MUCH better but as I posted a couple posts up when shopping in this lower range an extra 20$ can buy you twice the performance. I would suggest buying last gen cards on clearance for the same price before buying 54xx or 55xx range cards if you don't need 3 screens off one card or DX11 features.
Reply Quote
I'm having some lag issues as well playing just the campaign-i have a 9800 gtx but im running it with windows xp. i know my OS is a little outdated but would that "really" make that big of a difference in performance?

No it should work fine. The other issues could be too slow a cpu or not enough ram. Having a balanced system is much more important than having just a fast video card for example.
Reply Quote

Regards.

Possibly. Those issues sound like hard drive swapping to me so more ram would be my suggestion. Just make sure you have free ram slots on your motherboard and that you get the correct memory type. Though most of you probably need low speed/lax timings 240 pin DDR2 modules so that is cheap and available everywhere.
Reply Quote
@PepsiPop: Thank you for sharing your knowledge, that being said however I'm not very tech savvy and didn't understand too well. You suggested I get a new computer but that just isn't possible anywhere in the near future. Is there anything I can do to make it run better with adding on extra power to someplace? Like more RAM or a better video card?

Also, would having more hard drive space help? I have a new hard drive that I've been trying to get to work ( It won't boot up on it ) that will have around 400Gb free space, as opposed to my current drive with 12Gb free.

@Zeratulito: Thanks for helping. When you say I'll need a cpu update and vga update, what does that mean exactly?

Thanks much.

Reposted specs:

Windows XP SP 3 32-bit
O/S: Windows XP Professional (5.1 Build 2600)
Bios: Award Modular Bios v6.0
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53Ghz
Memory : 2560 mb RAM
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video: ASUS AH3450
Reply Quote
will the game play on window xp pro 64-bit with all the updates so far
my computer specs are
amd 4400+
4gigs of ram
msi 7600gt vid pcie x16
Edited by backyard on 7/31/2010 11:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i know i need a new graphics card cuz im running a 6150 geforce and my memory is 1 gB but i can buy more so i have 2BG but my processor is 2GHZ so would buying new stuff not matter at all?
Reply Quote
question, can a PCI Express x 16 slot support a PCI Express 2.0 x 16 card????
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]