StarCraft® II

System Requirements explained in detail

@ZDahveed
I'll try to explain it better, but be aware English isn't my native so i usually find myseld in hard spots :P
Every year or so (sometimes even 6 months) ATI and NVidia release a new generation of VGA and thats wehen we go from 6000 series to 7000, 8000, 9000, 200, 400 (being 400 the latest for Nvidia)
Ati has series 1000 2000 3000 4000 and 5000 (and of course there was a series 9000 before those which is INFERIOR)
Lower tiers are not intended for serious gaming, you'll be able to run every game but not mostly not in medium settings (this includes x300 to x400 being x the generation) then comes Mainstream being somewhat x500 to x600 and after that you got serious gaming card which are intended for gamers who actually want high resolution and maxed settings on most games).
You'll noticed i didn't say anything bout series x100/x200 becouse those are generally (not sure if always) integrated cards, which of course come within the motherboard itself. those are just for real low low low settings on mostly everything except oldies.
Now any low tier card from this year WILL let you play the game but i can't reccommend those if you intend gaming and not only for sc2.
There's a lot you can google about cards, try looking at tomshardware vga charts and google a bit to find which card is good for you.
PD: by PCI they actually mean PCI which differs from PCI-E or PCI EXPRESS being this the standard in the industry now.

Reply Quote
question, can a PCI Express x 16 slot support a PCI Express 2.0 x 16 card????

Yes, it does. PCI-E is backwards compatible.
Edited by Zeratulito on 7/31/2010 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Zeratulito

Thank you VERY much for that answer, it was extremely helpful and I believe I know which card fits my needs now. (By the way, your English is just fine :)

IMO there ought to be a more standard, industry-agreed-upon way of defining/naming vid cards so that you don't have to do a 4-hour research project to know if the card is recent, how powerful it is, etc... But I'm sure that's something that can't exactly happen overnight, each company has its own logic...

The PCI vs. PCI-e thing was particularly confusing, I had previously googled as best I could but couldn't find a really satisfactory and straight-forward answer like the one you just gave me, so thanks again :)

Also a final TY to everyone else who tried to help out, much appreciated :)

-David
Reply Quote
@Lunarian I mean that you need to change you processor (cpu) for a new one.
And that probably means getting a new rig altogether since i don't know if your motherboard can handle a better cpu.

@Hispasian I'm affraid you're right.

@Backyard It should work fine.
Reply Quote
thx Zeratulito

Ok i have one more question, what type of slot does a i3, i5 and i7 processor fit into? Do they all fit in to a standard Slot 1 on an ATX motherboard? Having a little difficulty finding this out, seems like it does but i'm not 100% sure (considering upgrading)
Reply Quote
Ok i have one more question, what type of slot does a i3, i5 and i7 processor fit into? Do they all fit in to a standard Slot 1 on an ATX motherboard? Having a little difficulty finding this out, seems like it does but i'm not 100% sure (considering upgrading)

There 're 2 different slots, LGA1156 and LGA1366.
Reply Quote
@Sokar I really dont think itd be my processor-I have a a 2.66 ghz dual core and I have the recommended amount of RAM at 2 GB-would I still need more?
Edited by Nicholas on 7/31/2010 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have issues with this game. Much as I love it, I have to complain. xD

I beat all the recommended system specs with the exception of the VRAM, which is exactly that. And yet the game runs like crap even with most all the graphic settings on Low (I have a few set to Medium so the game doesn't look like complete crap). I turned on VSync and that seemed to help a little bit but I still get messages telling me to lower my graphics, which is BS to me.

System Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3Ghz + 3Ghz
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT w/ 512Mb GDDR2 (overclocked)
4Gb RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

With this I feel I should be able to run the game on all Medium at least, maybe all High. So what the hell?
Reply Quote
So am I correct in assuming me having an AGP card is the reason SC2 works fine until I load a mission (1st cutscenes are fine) or a game, and then my system reboots?

Heres my system specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
RAM: 2 Gigs
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

For details on the card it has
1 GB Video Ram
Pixel Shader v 3.0
Vertex Shader v3.0
Reply Quote
Thanks people, upgraded to 4Gb and now things go smooth :)
Reply Quote
So during the Beta (from the early stages) i could play on ultra... then after a certain patch i was forced down to medium... With the launch of SC2 i have to play on low settings.

I have only been able to play 2 missions in the campaign...during the loading screen of a new mission it will just cut out and go back to my desktop with no error message. Most of my online games (while on medium) if i do not beat someone (or lose) in the first 15-20min the game will shut off on me with no explanation. I tried updating drivers, chipsets, etc etc to no avail.

Here are my specs.

Processor: Interl(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33Ghz 2.33GHz

Memory: 4.00gb DDR2 SDRAM

system type: 64-bit windows vista premium home edition (with service pack 2)

Graphics card: nVIDIA GeForce 9500GS (D9M-25) 512mb

I know nVIDIA has been a bit buggy here and there, but i would think the 512 would be enough to at least run some parts of the game.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks! =]
Ultra settings require a video card with ~1 GB of memory as a starting option. You don't have enough to even play it without relying on a lot of swapping.
If your game or computer is just closing out without even a word, you may be looking at hardware damage in general. Overheating is the most common one and heat tends to be an issue for laptops.

So, here is the weird thing, i am not actually running this off of a laptop, this was pre built in an HP computer desktop.

Is it a cheap video card? Would me purchasing say a 150$ video card with 1gig ram fix this issue, or does this sound motherboard related?

Edit: I understand the part on Ultra, i just turned it on to see what it looked like... of course it slowed down everyone elses game trying to do it. :P.
Edited by Narse on 7/31/2010 9:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have a GTS 250 1GB and my card isn't on that list either, but it runs the game just fine. In fact with it all the way on ultra.
Reply Quote
@Night You can't expect it to run decently in normal with that vga, if it were the GDDR3 version then MAYBE.

@Narse It shouldn't reboot, that's for sure. And yes, it is a somewhat "cheap" videocard but it should run the game no problem just dont expect ULTRA or anything near it. Check your temps or try decreasing the system temperature byt improving the air flow.

@Askanison List?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I have a GTS 250 1GB and my card isn't on that list either, but it runs the game just fine. In fact with it all the way on ultra.
Think of that card as a GeForce 9800 GTX. It's from the same family hardware-wise anyways.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800_gtx_us.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gts_250_us.html

So am I correct in assuming me having an AGP card is the reason SC2 works fine until I load a mission (1st cutscenes are fine) or a game, and then my system reboots?

Heres my system specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
RAM: 2 Gigs
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

For details on the card it has

1 GB Video Ram
Pixel Shader v 3.0
Vertex Shader v3.0

AGP cards work fine. You may need to install the latest chipset drivers for the AGP GART drivers. Those help out a ton. For crash issues, please make a new thread. You'll want to turn off Automatic Restart (http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=21033) and make a new thread with the contents of the error message.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I have issues with this game. Much as I love it, I have to complain. xD

I beat all the recommended system specs with the exception of the VRAM, which is exactly that. And yet the game runs like crap even with most all the graphic settings on Low (I have a few set to Medium so the game doesn't look like complete crap). I turned on VSync and that seemed to help a little bit but I still get messages telling me to lower my graphics, which is BS to me.

System Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3Ghz + 3Ghz
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT w/ 512Mb GDDR2 (overclocked)
4Gb RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

With this I feel I should be able to run the game on all Medium at least, maybe all High. So what the hell?
The GDDR2 version is slower and the 9500 doesn't have too many shaders to work with overall. You can bump up on the non-video heavy sliders but you'll have to be careful on the video ones.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
@Sokar I really dont think itd be my processor-I have a a 2.66 ghz dual core and I have the recommended amount of RAM at 2 GB-would I still need more?

Key question to ask yourself is this: are you hitting the swap file at your current settings? You can usually tell by the hard drive light indicator going off often while you're playing and you'll get slowdowns during that time. Loading screens don't count towards that.
Reply Quote

@Narse It shouldn't reboot, that's for sure. And yes, it is a somewhat "cheap" videocard but it should run the game no problem just dont expect ULTRA or anything near it. Check your temps or try decreasing the system temperature byt improving the air flow.

Oh ya, i don't expect to run Ultra as a normal setting, especially with this video card. Checked my temps after doing a challenge and it went from 49C to 59C... so ya thats a huge increase to me, currently i just put a small fan behind it and i have brought it back down to 53C... going to see how it does in a minute or two.

I just want to clarify, the computer does not actually reboot, it just takes me to desktop. I also find it weird of HP to use a laptop video card for a desktop? I guess cheap for marketing in the long run?

Edit: would me reinstalling Vista, help at all? I'm thinking maybe the system is backed up somewhere and i just need to do a fresh start with it?
Edited by Narse on 8/1/2010 9:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have an Asus U30Jc:

Processor: Intel i3 2.3Ghz
Memory: 4GB
Graphics: Switchable Intel GMA and Nvidia 310M

I can run the game with the integrated card but its pretty terrible -_-

But when i try to run the game using the nvidia card a message comes up saying there was an error starting sc2.

Can anyone help me out?
Reply Quote
@Zeratulito - At the beginning of this forum (found here: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501357), There is a url to a page with a list of video cards that will work with SC II. Well not that will work with SC II, but more of a Hierarchy list. My card isn't listed there. But it has since been explained that my card is in the " GeForce 9800 GTX" family. Which is fine with me. I just want the game to run. I honestly haven't had any issues yet; overheating or otherwise.
Edited by Askanison on 8/1/2010 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I was very surprised at how demanding SC2 actually is. I'm getting 20-25 FPS during pitched battles on Ultra settings on a very overclocked q6600 and a slightly overclocked 8800GT. When I put this computer together a couple years ago I thought for sure I would get 60fps in sc2 given how simple the graphics appear.

CPU clock rate seems to be very important, my normal cpu overclock is 3.0 ghz bumping it up to 3.33ghz adds ~5 fps.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]