StarCraft® II

Influences on Map Favorites

What has the biggest influence on determining how much you like a map?

Offers unique features or gameplay
Offers standard gameplay
Map art style
Personal winning percentage
Produces enjoyable games to watch
Other
This poll has ended - Aug 18, 2014
Community Manager
Whenever new ladder maps are released, we often see a variety of reactions. Every map is liked or disliked by someone out there for different reasons. What ultimately influences each player’s opinions can vary. Which brings us to the main question at hand.

What has the biggest influence on determining how much you like a map?

With the options provided there are a few things that you may consider. Do you find that more interesting maps have a big influence on your enjoyment? Or is it solely based on your personal winning percentage? Can a cool looking map stand out as a favorite despite other faults? Can you love a map that you find difficult to play on, if it produces fun matches to watch in tournaments?

We'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this topic.
Reply Quote
I've always been into art style myself
Reply Quote
I wish there was less focus on 4p maps. Blind buildorder wins are pretty boring.
Reply Quote
2player map
Reply Quote
Well, personally I prefer standard gameplay over "cool features", because those tend to end up like on Deadwing.
Reply Quote
My enjoyment from maps comes solely from how games play out on them. If I have to struggle to wall off and fight my way to take my own third, I don't like it. I would prefer maps that have wide passages and many flanks. Of course, this is my zerg speaking. If I were terran, I would like accessible third bases, with chokes and many defensive positions, and large bases for more production. Protoss wants really really tight passages and easy to take bases.
Reply Quote
I voted other. The main requirement for me is that the map has as little randomness as possible. That includes possible spawning locations, ability to get succesfull scouting in and so on. Examples of maps I didn't like for this reason were alterzim stronghold (you couldn't scout at all and because the spawning locations weren't fixed there was no way to have a solid early game in ZvP and ZvZ on this map). Nimbus is another example. Because it is a 4 player map, if the opponent spawns cross from me it is almost impossible to get overlords in places where I can actualy scout with them. As ZvP and ZvZ are largely about early game scouting maps like this involve a lot of randomness as oppose to skill which can be really frustrating.
Reply Quote
I like maps that have like one main pathway to your opponent´s base, I find that some maps have to many (Catallena for example). I don´t like maps with a lot of dead space around the main and don´t like maps that you can blink into the main from a lot of directions. I also don´t like big maps, makes TvP very random!
Reply Quote
08/14/2014 12:26 PMPosted by Nightmare
Well, personally I prefer standard gameplay over "cool features", because those tend to end up like on Deadwing.

This pretty much...

I don't mind 'unique features' but there is a line not to cross. The most obvious example is Deadwing. Being able to siege tanks behind the rocks in Deadwing for 100% guaranteed free damage is extremely, extremely bad design.

I'm more on the standard side when it comes to map. Maps that 'look cool' are a plus and I don't mind some unique features, but most of the time those unique features break the game like on Deadwing with the rocks and on Alterzim and Nimbus with the free bases...
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
08/14/2014 12:27 PMPosted by MoonRise
I voted other. The main requirement for me is that the map has as little randomness as possible. That includes possible spawning locations, ability to get succesfull scouting in and so on. Examples of maps I didn't like for this reason were alterzim stronghold (you couldn't scout at all and because the spawning locations weren't fixed there was no way to have a solid early game in ZvP and ZvZ on this map). Nimbus is another example. Because it is a 4 player map, if the opponent spawns cross from me it is almost impossible to get overlords in places where I can actualy scout with them. As ZvP and ZvZ are largely about early game scouting maps like this involve a lot of randomness as oppose to skill which can be really frustrating.

This is definitely one of the bigger things for me as well.

I've been 9-scouting on Deadwing a lot just so I can actually get there in time to see anything. ._.
Reply Quote
The most important aspect is balance in all match-ups. After that it's fun game play.
Reply Quote
Art style is a major factor for me. Enough of the dark, dreary maps please.

Edit: And yes, more 2 player maps.
Edited by Kherion on 8/14/2014 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's all of those things together. The most important thing is that the map doesn't seem unfair. For example, the original version of Deadalus Point was really, really good for Zerg in ZvP. Likewise, Yeonsu, Heavy Rain, and Polar Night were really good for Protoss in PvT. It's okay if one race has a small advantage on a map, but that advantage shouldn't be overwhelming.
Edited by Salient on 8/14/2014 12:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/14/2014 12:25 PMPosted by RoboTazRise
2player map
Reply Quote
absolutely the standard gameplay. standard gameplay is fair for both players which makes it enjoyable to watch. when you have gold resource nodes, random chokes, unfair cliffs, and other such advantages that skew the map in favor of another race it's never fun to play on or watch for the race that gets screwed.
Reply Quote
Having a good mix of maps in the pool is the best. As long as we able to keep the ability to veto maps we do not like, things should work out fine. Personally I like last seasons map pool much more than this seasons but I do think those maps were better for Zerg than these current maps.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
I personally like maps where you can play standard on. I like watching those unique features in tournament play but I hate having to deal with them myself.
Reply Quote
BaseTradeTV's map intro. HOI HOI HOI
Reply Quote
As long as they're not too crazy I think I prefer maps with an art style that I like. Cloud kingdom, Polar Night and Foxtrot Labs are what comes to mind for me off the top of my head.
Reply Quote
Holy crap I want that poll feature.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]