StarCraft® II

Influences on Map Favorites

What has the biggest influence on determining how much you like a map?

Offers unique features or gameplay
Offers standard gameplay
Map art style
Personal winning percentage
Produces enjoyable games to watch
Other
This poll has ended - Aug 18, 2014
Really suprised that the winpercentage is the secound lowest.
The most important thing is obviously a even balance in every matchup. I really dislike maps with goldbases and watchtowers arent a very good feature eather. I prefer big macromaps, with many ramps and also a open area and diffrent highgrounds, to open up the possibility for good micro and tacticel moves, to create variaty aswell.
Reply Quote
08/14/2014 12:27 PMPosted by MoonRise
I voted other. The main requirement for me is that the map has as little randomness as possible. That includes possible spawning locations, ability to get succesfull scouting in and so on. Examples of maps I didn't like for this reason were alterzim stronghold (you couldn't scout at all and because the spawning locations weren't fixed there was no way to have a solid early game in ZvP and ZvZ on this map). Nimbus is another example. Because it is a 4 player map, if the opponent spawns cross from me it is almost impossible to get overlords in places where I can actualy scout with them. As ZvP and ZvZ are largely about early game scouting maps like this involve a lot of randomness as oppose to skill which can be really frustrating.
+1

Variety in build orders and unique gameplay features are great, but when it comes at the cost of lowered scouting potential and random elements, it’s not as fun to play. Build order wins and guessing games belong in Hearthstone, not Starcraft 2.

Adding another example, Terran has to rely on the Reaper for scouting in TvP. Maps like Nimbus and Overgrowth with one jumping location make it impossible to escape after scouting the base, which leaves you blind about where Protoss spends their vespine gas.

King Sejong Station accommodates for Reapers by adding a backdoor cliff, which gives both sides a fair chance to scout each other and progress into a normal game. The map isn’t perfect, but it does correctly allow all 3 races a good way to scout their opponent.

Bad unique: On Daedalus Point, Zerg could auto-win every ZvP with a 14/14 build
Good unique: On Overgrowth, the gold expansion bases are high risk high reward
Reply Quote
unique features like the gangnam terran
Reply Quote
Offers unique features or gameplay would ultimately mean Produces enjoyable games to watch, we purchased the game and it's only right for us to have fun unique maps to play in not just for tournaments.
Reply Quote
I voted "Map art style" although I know not much about art. And I think this option is quite close to "Produces enjoyable games to watch".

I think that the art style of the maps are lack of variety. For example, the new maps in this season, most of their main color are cool colors (blue, deep green, gray...). I often felt boring quickly when I watched BO3/5/7 matches even though I kept reminding myself they were actually different maps.

So I hope Blizzard can make maps can randomly display different "appearance". For example, the platforms of a map are "made from iron" I play this time, but next time I play it again, the platforms may be "made from rock", and others attributes like altitude still remain the same, so this kind of changes never affect the balance.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
08/14/2014 01:33 PMPosted by GeneralSezme
08/14/2014 01:06 PMPosted by KillerofGods
The majority of the maps each season have been community maps.

I know this because I'm a map maker myself, I'm saying can we vote on maps? I'm not saying "Hey we need community made maps" because we already have them, im saying we need to be able to choose the maps based on popular vote we could get 1 or 2 maps that we choose on the ladder pool, and for example 2 maps from a contest and the last 3 be blizzard maps. The MVP should probably read my whole post before replying

Didn't most of this seasons maps come from the TL community map contest? Blizzard then chose what they liked out of the popular maps. I'd rather not trust the entire community for the final say. I like how they allowed us to pick which maps we liked and then they get to pick what they think will work for a balanced ladder map pool or what'll be interesting.

On a side note I wish I would've known about the map contest as I would've voted in it but I only really visit TL for the mmr stats thread.
Edited by KillerofGods on 8/14/2014 3:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think that Blizzard thinks these are the options is the problem.
Reply Quote
if it is impossible to execute an allin it is a good map.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
08/14/2014 03:22 PMPosted by EnderSword

These are simply things that players have mentioned in the past as reasons they like or dislike a map so they were the options. :)
Reply Quote
08/14/2014 03:30 PMPosted by Psione
08/14/2014 03:22 PMPosted by EnderSword

These are simply things that players have mentioned in the past as reasons they like or dislike a map so they were the options. :)

You responding to this, has delicately directed my understanding. (blue involvement critical)
Reply Quote
I want to vote for three of these...

I think truly great maps can have a perfect combination of "offers unique gameplay", "creative art design", and "produces fun games".

It is too boring if a map is all about standard play. The trick is getting map to allow some player creativity without causing a great imbalance in a certain gimmick play. I do think I favor fixed spawning locations (even if its a four player with map with cross spawn only). Reason being, scouting can be the most important standard aspect of a match.

Since i had to choose one, I chose Art style. If a map is aesthetically pleasing to me, I will want to play the map regardless of what race or strategy is favored (within reason, of course). I absolutely loved all the previous beach themed maps in SC2 history...

And I really would love it if these types of Blizzard polls started happening more frequently ... :)
Edited by Xorn on 8/14/2014 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Speaking of "Offers unique features or gameplay", maps in WC3 and maps in WoL campaign missions which have days and nights and lava can rise come to my mind. Oh, gameplays in Age of Empires II just arrived, you know, there are different ways to win a match in AoE2. It might be good if SC2 also provided us different ways to win a match, especially when it lasted too long because of Swarm host. Lol.
Reply Quote
I picked unique gameplay.
I like maps that favour different kind of playstyles, so that the player that have mastery in all of the styles, will beat a one trick pony, playing the entire map pool.
Reply Quote
My vote is for standard gameplay, however I have no issue with a map when it offers unique features or gameplay as well.

Anything else I really don't care about.
Reply Quote
08/14/2014 12:27 PMPosted by MoonRise
I voted other. The main requirement for me is that the map has as little randomness as possible. That includes possible spawning locations, ability to get succesfull scouting in and so on. Examples of maps I didn't like for this reason were alterzim stronghold (you couldn't scout at all and because the spawning locations weren't fixed there was no way to have a solid early game in ZvP and ZvZ on this map). Nimbus is another example. Because it is a 4 player map, if the opponent spawns cross from me it is almost impossible to get overlords in places where I can actualy scout with them. As ZvP and ZvZ are largely about early game scouting maps like this involve a lot of randomness as oppose to skill which can be really frustrating.
Reply Quote
I put other. Because while I expect a lot of things with maps, nothing is more frustrating than maps being terribly designed and actually have unfair advantages/disadvantages in mirror matchups. As the way I look at it, if a map has severe balance issues in a mirror matchup, it shouldn't be part of the map pool. This current season suffered a lot more than normal along these lines. catallena for example with the Air space being drastically different around the spawns, or fox trot before it was fixed, with different entrances, the reaper jump/blink cliff spot that only exists on diagonal. On that note, deadwing didnt bother me as the horizontal positions were fair on both sides.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
Unique features and enjoyable to watch are tied together. I've watched a ton of standard gameplay - the excitement happens when a map adds something fresh every now and then. To me, enjoyable to watch is unique features. Even though its balance issues made it impossible to keep around, Deadwing horizontal spawns made for some mightily entertaining matchups.

I get that we can't upset the meta too much with radical map design (maps with no ramp/choke for example) but there's still plenty of room for new constructions and interesting features.
Reply Quote
Edited by Null on 10/12/2014 1:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Two player map
Reply Quote
I voted for entertaining to watch, but really I just like a map pool with a good variety. Really don't like every map being so huge though I understand why its gone down that road.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]