StarCraft® II

SC2 Mac Known Issues

(Locked)

Blizzard Employee
StarCraft II
Mac Known Issues

• Overall graphical slowdown if you are using a NVIDIA graphics card and Mac OS X 10.6.4

• This is fixed in the Graphic Update for 10.6.4

• No user interface/menus

• When you log into the game you will see the spaceship, but there is no place to enter your Battle.net information.Rebooting your system will resolve this issue.

• The following video cards are NOT supported

• NVIDIA 7300GT, NVIDIA 7600GT, NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500, Intel GMA950, Intel x3100

Please refer to the system requirements sticky and the bottom of the retail box.

• Random crash can occur if you are using 10.6.4 and a NVIDIA graphics card

• This is fixed in the Graphic Update for 10.6.4

• Black screen on startup, but sound is playing

• If the animation appears to freeze at any point, try moving the window or switching from fullscreen to windowed mode.

Rebooting your system will resolve this issue as well.

• Contents of window freeze when switching from windowed to fullscreen mode

• Same issue as issue above.

• NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and USB headset

• If you are using a USB headset with a system that has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics chipset, the game will suffer a 40% performance reduction

• Make sure you are using your 9600M GT graphics if you have it

• If you have a 15” or 17” MacBook Pro , you should look in System Preferences>Energy Saver and select “Higher Performance”

• Mouse getting stuck when using dual monitor setup

• If you are using a dual monitor setup, your mouse may become stuck when moving from one screen to the next. This issue has been bugged and is on the list of things to resolve.

Edited by S4d1k on 9/22/2010 4:46 PM PDT
    im having a problem that update is not available it close automatically
    Whenever I play Protoss and I have more than a few pylons on screen at once the game suffer horrendously. Any solutions out there?
    I am on a 2010 version 13" MBP with Nvidia 320M and connected to a 1080 HD display (dual display). The game says my max resolution is 1280 x 800 but it doesn't show nicely on my laptop. And I tried swapping to the big monitor by using Control Panels and moving the main screen there, but when I start the game, the monitor says there's a sync problem.

Is 1280 x 800 the max resolution for my video card?

If not, then how do I set it to 1920 x 1080 so that my large screen can show it when running?

Thanks.
    Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 8
    L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-1
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Everything works brilliantly I can get good FPS on high until -- cut scene. Once it goes to a cut scene everything bogs down and it's unplayable. If I exit and relaunch everything is fine, cut scene is perfect, next level is perfect. Next cut scene comes -- gotta restart again.
    Another issue:

Installer fails on case sensitive drives.

Fix: Use a case insensitive drive or put it on a case insensitive disk image. Based on a thread from during the beta test, SC2 also doesn't like case sensitive drives once installed.
    Sad thing is, to run it on those settings, your on a 3,000 dollar tower Mac. That's fairly sad for the rest of us.
    Lasterax: Probably the broken nVidia drivers in 10.6.4. Hopefully Apple fixes them before long. I've got nearly the same system spec (same model Mac Pro), but I've moved the 8800GT to a 2ndary card and am using an ATI 4870 for my primary display and not having any issues. From what I've read, a lot of games have issues with the nVidia drivers in 10.6.4 (if you have 10.6.3, this isn't the issue).
    Edited by RandomChaos on 7/27/2010 9:30 PM PDT
    I am having issues in the tutorial. The robot chick on the side is supposed to be telling me what to do but there is no voice. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Everything works brilliantly I can get good FPS on high until -- cut scene. Once it goes to a cut scene everything bogs down and it's unplayable. If I exit and relaunch everything is fine, cut scene is perfect, next level is perfect. Next cut scene comes -- gotta restart again.

I have near identical specs and I'm having the same problems. Framerate drops dramatically after playing a cutscene or playing a map just fine, then starts chugging and pops up a message saying I need to lower my settings, restarting the game client alleviates the problem without needing to change the graphics settings.

Lasterax: Probably the broken nVidia drivers in 10.6.4. Hopefully Apple fixes them before long. I've got nearly the same system spec (same model Mac Pro), but I've moved the 8800GT to a 2ndary card and am using an ATI 4870 for my primary display and not having any issues. From what I've read, a lot of games have issues with the nVidia drivers in 10.6.4 (if you have 10.6.3, this isn't the issue).

This is probably the problem I'm having as well. I recall an announcement from Valve about source games having problems with the 10.6.4 update as well.
    When I play campaign, I launch a mission and on random missions(some do, others don't do this) it instantly disconnects me from battle.net... I made a thread of this earlier, but I thought I'd put this in the known issues place... I don't wanna keep replaying the same missions over and over ya know? Maybe once, or twice, but not like four times, especially like the 20+ minute missions
    Edited by Gredran on 7/27/2010 10:41 PM PDT
    Lasterax: Probably the broken nVidia drivers in 10.6.4.

This is probably the problem I'm having as well. I recall an announcement from Valve about source games having problems with the 10.6.4 update as well.

Valve's specific message on their support page (since removed) was: "The recent 10.6.4 update from Apple has noticeable performance issues for NVidia graphic chip owners running high performance games. If you wish to avoid this, you should consider waiting to install the 10.6.4 update until Apple has had the opportunity to address this issue. "

Over a month since 10.6.4 came out, Apple has yet to release a fix. At least 10.6.5 is in beta as of yesterday.

I have exactly this issue. it's some sort of video memory drain and it's cumulative. If I play on the ultra graphics with full resolution I can't play a cutscene or a level all the way, but on high setting I can play one each and on medium I can play 2. You don't actually need to reset the game however, you can (command+m) to exit full screen and send it to the corner for a time out and then when you cmd+m again to full screen it resets the problem and the countdown to mega lag resets.

Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
    Memory: 10 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 120:
    512 MB
    Cinema HD:
    Resolution: 2560 x 1600
    I've got an identical issue to Latterax (game gets bogged down after cut scene). To clarify, it seems to be happening after a cut scene that follows a mission. Strangely enough, this didn't happen with the first few missions, first time it happened was after Meinhoff.

Running on Mac Pro 4,1 with GTX 285 GPU and 32GB. Using the nVidia driver update that was released after 10.6.4, so blaming stock Apple OS update doesn't apply. Also, if it was the fault of the driver, the problem ought to either require a reboot, or be persistent throughout the game (and not kick in after a while). If simply exiting and restarting the application restores performance, that leads me to believe the problem lies within the game.

Looking forward to seeing a fix for this, otherwise it's a fantastic game.
    I have the same issue as Latterax, Freq and Trilo.

I originally went with the recommended settings for my graphics card (1600 x 1050, mostly High graphics settings) and when I started getting the warnings, I lowered the settings. I now have most settings on low including a lower resolution but the only thing that seems to 'fix' the problem is to quit out of the game and then load SC2 again. The lowered graphics settings do not seem to be improving this issue at all (despite the incessant warnings).

I am running a Mac Pro 1,1 with 3 GB RAM, NVidia 8800GT, Quad Core Intels.

I do have 2 monitors running, but I do not have the 'known issue' listed above about the mouse getting stuck.

I am impressed that despite the lag that occurs in the cut scenes, the mouths and the audio still manage to sync up.
    I've been having the same problem; going into windowed mode and back again temporarily fixes it.

I run a 15" MacPro (Late 2008), 4GB RAM, 9600M GT, 10.6.4 pushing a 24" ACD. Also have a cooling pad, and fans set to 6200 RPM w/ smcFanControl.

Almost all graphic settings are set to low, and I can play for about 10-15 minutes at a time before the laptop overheats and goes into sleep mode.

Blizzard, we expected a LOT more from you than this. Generally you have delivered too, but this is an abysmal mess.

Wodger, I've got the same MacBook Pro. I'm running 10.5.8 with no external display, cooling pad, or altered RPM and I don't have any overheating issues. The Pro generally gets hotter during games but has never shut off on me (unlike my old laptop that this replaced, but that was due to being in Afghanistan for 15 months).

Does it happen on other graphic intensive games or just SC2?

Sounds like a weird anomaly to me.

Make sure you are using your 9600M GT graphics if you have it

If you have a 15” or 17” MacBook Pro , you should look in System Preferences>Energy Saver and select “Higher Performance”

Even with this the game performance suffers horribly. My specs more than meet SC2 requirements and I still can't play above medium. Even in lower settings the game is sometimes choppy and sluggish when responding.

BTW, I'm retro and am using 10.5.8 so there aren't any conflicts with the latest 10.6.4 update and my graphics card.

Another issue I am having like many others I've seen is getting disconnected from Bnet at the beginning or middle of a mission and then not receiving the achievements at the end. I think in addition to fixing the constant disconnects, it would be nice to implement a way for Bnet to search through your previous progress when you log in to see if you've received any achievements while offline and give you the credit for them so you don't have to play back through missions if you don't want to.
    Wodger, I've got the same MacBook Pro. I'm running 10.5.8 with no external display, cooling pad, or altered RPM and I don't have any overheating issues. The Pro generally gets hotter during games but has never shut off on me (unlike my old laptop that this replaced, but that was due to being in Afghanistan for 15 months).

Does it happen on other graphic intensive games or just SC2?

Sounds like a weird anomaly to me.

Some of it is the external monitor, I'll grant you that. Warcrack pushes it hard too, but not as hard as this. Honestly though, given the CPU, GPU and RAM there is no way I should not be able to push an external monitor. It's basically an iMac at this point.

You're also running 10.5.8, not 10.6.4. Judging by the Steam issues and other notes around the web, 10.6.4 is not good on NVidia cards. Unfortunately downgrading to 10.6.3 or further is not an option for me as this is a work machine. My only option is to not play the game until some combination of NVidia, Apple and Blizzard fixes this mess. It's not just me - this forum is chock full of people with issues with the mac client.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]