StarCraft® II

The Art of Terran Macro

(Sticky)

05/14/2012 05:08 AMPosted by dldzr
Is this still up to date?

Yes, the basic principles and mechanics will always be the same. Some of the tactics and replays given are out of date due to patches, but still give a general idea of what I'm talking about. I simply don't play enough anymore to give updated replays

Thanks to everyone who's shown appreciation. Keep playing and learning!

WinterbornRH
RHgaming.com
Edited by WinterBornRH on 5/14/2012 8:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i guess oen day ill have to sit down, get soem popcorn and learn hwo terran really works.
Reply Quote
12/20/2010 03:26 PMPosted by WinterBornRH
He gets on 4 bases...good luck. You can destroy his entire army and it'll be back up by the time you get to his base.

AND THATS THE PROBLEM - U HAVE TO HAVE 20+ BARRACKS (FORGETTING TECH LAB AND REACTOR) TO BE ABLE TO BEAT THAT,
20 X 150 = 3000 MINERALS

WHILE A ZERG PLAYER WILL HAVE 6 HATCHERIES (4 FOR GATHERING AND 1 EXTRA)
5 *350 (PLUS DRONE) = 1750 + 5 QUEENS(750) = 2500

NOTE THE BUILDING SO MANY BARRACKS WILL CAUSE LESS MINING TIME FOR SCVS
Edited by TerranMaster on 7/7/2012 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Too bad terran is unplayable with the new ghost nerf. All terran re roll qq zerg is op protoss deathball imba Terran skill cap too much. sooo gay void pheonix counter mass marines so op no medivacs gaysauce.
Reply Quote
Sweet man. Thanks a lot. I may have to reread this like every day though because by the time I reached the end I forgot the beginning lol
Reply Quote
my tip for players who read this is:

Use the same amount of time that u read, actually playing...

The only way to improve is to play.
I'm weeks away to get GM now.. Reading is not the best way to develop my skills. Playing and thinking what i did, is.

U won't be better after reading this without playing.
peace!
Reply Quote
I'm switching over to Terran, and this guide is great! I like to have something on paper (I'm kind of old-fashioned that way) so I formatted this into a Word document w/table of contents. If anyone wants to download it, I put it on DropBox:

http://db.tt/ceknU4EC

Hope this helps!
Reply Quote
there is no art in terran macro just stim an kill everything marine op as hell.
Reply Quote
07/23/2012 03:18 AMPosted by YuriBoyka
there is no art in terran macro just stim an kill everything marine op as hell.

Infestors say hi.
Reply Quote
Yea, I think of it in simpler terms, "Must spend money!" LOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeSavySC2?feature=mhee
Edited by JoeSavy on 7/28/2012 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Phenomenal post. Jam-packed with great information and tips. I will definitely suggest this post to all of my friends. You got spot-on estimates on the saturation of bases, unit production, and all the rest.

Thanks for this post!
Reply Quote
Thank you so much for this.. In game I'm able to take my natural easily, not really watching for a one base push(to which I will now), and then I tend to randomly put down a third when nothing is going on. In silver it seems to work but now I can actually time it nicely.
Reply Quote
Quite frankly i'm impressed, after i read the whole text....*sigh*, just posting to congratulate you for the notorious effort, and time you've spent on this guide helping new players like myself to get in the game with some perspective, thanks.
Reply Quote
now explain micro :3
Reply Quote
micro. terrans got it easy hit stim an gg.
snipe or emp infestors first to easy.
Edited by YuriBoyka on 8/21/2012 9:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
PLEASE BLIZZARD I NEED HEART OF THE SWARM BETA. I NEED IT I NEED IT I NEED IT
Reply Quote
Grooved spines imba in HOTS...
Reply Quote
A Detailed Look at Terran's Macro System

www.RHgaming.com

Now that I'm on break and have some time, I thought I'd go ahead and start writing some words on some realizations I've been having lately, and how it is affecting my game. And that, simply put, is the art of Terran Macro.

This will be a long post, because I'm going to go into a detailed look at several aspects that are key to our macro game. If you want a TL:DR, I'll include a form of one, but truth is that defies the point of this post, because there are 100 posts like that already, but few like this.

This is designed to make you think about it, to help clarify why all those little help points are important. I don't expect you to get all of this at once, but I'm hoping as you read little light bulbs go off in your brain and it helps your game go to the next level. I will include a table of contents so you can scan and find a part that interests you.

Like the name says, this post is designed around the Terran Macro game, but as Protoss's macro is similar in the fact they also have to expand and build more structures, the basic concepts are also probably similar, so it could be that you can take something out of this as well.

Also, let me say I am no expert by any means. I am not in the Top 200, and I'm not pro...I am Master's league. But I have gained an understanding about this, and it's helped my game out a ton. In fact, writing this helps me, because putting those words in writing helps solidify these points in my mind as well as yours. I'm still learning, and still make mistakes. But I learn after every one, and my game is growing.

So, now let's get into it.

Table of Contents:

1: Macro- What it is

-1.1 Income
-1.2 Output
----1.2.1 Unit Costs
----1.2.2 Example of income vs. output in a build

2: The Macro Game

-2.1 What is the Macro Game?
-2.2 Early Game Macro: Expanding
-2.3 Mid Game Macro
----2.3.1 Production
----2.3.4 Your Third Expo
-2.4 Late Game Macro
----2.4.1: 200/200 Unit Armies
----2.4.2: Hit and Run Tactics
----2.4.3: Dealing with Turtlers

3: A look at the Macro of Other Races

--3.1: Zerg
--3.2: Protoss

(- continued)

Highly Rated #1
12/20/2010
Reply Quote
Thank you Winterborn. I just purchased Starcraft2 last week after having the starter edition for about a few days and this really helps me. So far I am really getting macros down (even got the achievement for terran hotkey lastnight!) and I am really learning how to set up good defense on path openings and such. But I am losing more than winning obviously cause I am still a fresh lil newblet but this really breaks it down and helps me re think what I am doing with my costs!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]