The Art of Terran Macro

(Sticky)

01/22/2013 06:18 AMPosted by FretBurnerX
Thank you Winterborn. I just purchased Starcraft2 last week after having the starter edition for about a few days and this really helps me. So far I am really getting macros down (even got the achievement for terran hotkey lastnight!) and I am really learning how to set up good defense on path openings and such. But I am losing more than winning obviously cause I am still a fresh lil newblet but this really breaks it down and helps me re think what I am doing with my costs!

The best advice I can give you is "don't give up!" I was where you were at one time. I was new and didn't have a clue what I was doing. It comes with time. Treat every game like a learning experience. Win, or lose, you get better. You learn. You grow. It took me a long time to climb from bronze to a 20ish rank in master league. If I could do it, you can do it too. Learn macro, learn strategy, learn micro, and you'll get there
Reply Quote
wow. all i do is 3rax (don't attack) then i triple expand, and get a zillion mules, and marines....

PS: I am a protoss player :D
Reply Quote
Fore some one who is just starting and learning the game "for lack of better words," this is awesome, very helpfull!! I come back and re read it and every time i realize something else. For a beginner it is usefull in the fact that this helped me not make so many "noob" mistakes.
Thanks!!
Reply Quote
Awesome thanks! Very helpful.
Reply Quote
Good stuff. Thank you for taking the time to do this!
Reply Quote
None of the replay links work anymore.
Reply Quote
Mass ravens everygame that's how you win
Reply Quote
Yeah...the links are dead. Any place else we can grab these replays from? I'm having issues with the game as a whole.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
I will not play this game until Terran is not so weak like this
Reply Quote
Yeah...the links are dead. Any place else we can grab these replays from? I'm having issues with the game as a whole.

Thanks.

To everyone commenting about the replays:

Most of the good replays I have are are old, old, old. I haven't played SC2 in a 1v1 scene for nearly a year and a half. Uploading old replays would be a waste of time because things have changed so much.

I just started playing again with HOTS and I'm starting from the bottom and working my way up, getting a feel for the game again. Once I get to high plat/diamond again, I'll start posting good replays against good opponents so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

But first I got to get there, because a simply truth is: You don't use it, you lose it. I hope to get you guys some good replays soon.
Reply Quote
GREAT post. Very well put. Thank you. From a top 8 silver, player without a clue, with a 24-36 record, I've earned many more wins because of this post. I even had someone ask me - "How did you do that?" PRICELESS. Thank you friend
Edited by CFH on 4/8/2013 5:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Infantry:Marine- 50 m, 25 secMarauder- 100m/25g, 30 secReaper - 50m/50g, 45 secGhost- 150m/150g, 40 secMechHellion- 100m, 30secSiege Tank- 150m/125g, 45 secThor- 300m/200g, 60 secAirViking- 150m/75g, 42 secMedivac- 100m/100g, 42 secRaven- 100m/200g, 60 secBanshee- 150m/100g, 60 secBattle Cruiser- 400m, 300g, 90 sec

These are for different game speeds though... What about fast, faster, slow, or slower?
Reply Quote
04/10/2013 02:24 PMPosted by jonesjlm
Infantry:Marine- 50 m, 25 secMarauder- 100m/25g, 30 secReaper - 50m/50g, 45 secGhost- 150m/150g, 40 secMechHellion- 100m, 30secSiege Tank- 150m/125g, 45 secThor- 300m/200g, 60 secAirViking- 150m/75g, 42 secMedivac- 100m/100g, 42 secRaven- 100m/200g, 60 secBanshee- 150m/100g, 60 secBattle Cruiser- 400m, 300g, 90 sec

These are for different game speeds though... What about fast, faster, slow, or slower?

In general this guide is written for 1v1 ladder matches, which is faster speed. You should only play as fast, slow, or slower while learning the game, such as how to build buildings and units, how to move armies, ect. But if you're to the point where you need to start utilizing the information in this guide, you need to be on faster speed. It will help you out more in the long run
Reply Quote
Winter, you rock. You have done your duty. Retire! :-)
There are several players to take your words and move them forward.
Reply Quote
Winter, you rock. You have done your duty. Retire! :-)
There are several players to take your words and move them forward.

;)
Reply Quote
Build MMM A Move win TerranCraft Blizzzard built for terrans
Reply Quote
yep
Reply Quote
Real nice it helped me a lot ty
Reply Quote
I actually prefer lengthy and detailed explanations and this is perfect. I was actually thinking the other day "This game is all about math and exponential increase. I just need to find someone who explains this for Terran and it will help immensely". Then I found this. My entire perspective has completely changed and I hope to go from Bronze to Gold by the end of the summer!

Side note: My best macro game I ever did was where I built about 10 or 15 siege tanks, and sieged them alongside about 40 upgraded turrets (I had so much money coming in with 4 expansions it was crazy). It was an effective counter to the protoss player because he had tried using DTs, but the turrets revealed them and the siege tanks dropped them instantly, and then when he tried Void Rays and Colossus, the turrets kept them at bay until my vikings and battlecruisers came in and destroyed them. After that, I unsieged some tanks and walked all over his base with cruisers, vikings, banshees, thors, and marines. It was excellent. It was all dumb luck I expanded and turtled like that, but now that I know the info from your post, I can do that in a more methodical and thought-out manner.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]